GliderCENTRAL

Not sure if the first introduction was good or not?

Posted By: NewMommy2Cannon

Not sure if the first introduction was good or not? - 08/28/17 03:37 AM

Hi everyone I have a neutered male about a year and half old and I recently got a baby girl so he could have a cage mate. So I tried introducing them for the first time tonite and I don't know how to tell what's normal and what's fighting. My male was biting the babies ear and looked like scratched her eye but the baby just sat there and didn't move or make a noise so I don't know if that was bad or I'm being to paranoid? I'm gonna keep trying but any advice on what's ok and what's not would be greatly appreciated!!
Posted By: Feather

Re: Not sure if the first introduction was good or not? - 08/28/17 04:04 AM

Are they still together, he may just have been checking her out, specially since she is a girl.

I usually do introductions in the morning when they want to go to bed, not when they are up to play at night.

Keep an eye on them, seeing as she wasn't panicked and screaming, crabbing, crying or trying to get away from him is a good thing.
Posted By: NewMommy2Cannon

Re: Not sure if the first introduction was good or not? - 08/28/17 02:34 PM

No I didn't leave them together. He was really biting her ear and kept going back and doing it so just wasn't sure I could keep them together. I'll try it again in the morning time. Will she for sure male some noise or something if he's hurting her?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Not sure if the first introduction was good or not? - 08/29/17 12:48 AM

Are you sure he wasn't just deep cleaning the insides of her ears.

Yes, she will make noise if he is hurting her.

Take your time and try introductions in the morning.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Not sure if the first introduction was good or not? - 08/29/17 01:12 AM

I agree with Feather, I have caught mine cleaning ears. It's kinda scary. Keep in mind they groom each other. Especially those hard to reach spots.
Posted By: Terry

Re: Not sure if the first introduction was good or not? - 08/29/17 02:13 AM

When you try introductions in the morning, if it goes well, they should climb into the same pouch. I strongly recommend using a bonding pouch at this time, so you can carry them with you keeping a close eye on them the first day. Then also keep a close eye on them at feeding time and throughout the night. Also, is he much bigger than her? You didn't give her age, but I believe size matters most. My boy is smaller in size than my girls, even though he's older, but not considerably so that I was concerned introducing them. Mine were all adults when introduced, and it's true, intros can be scary or at least nerve-racking.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL