GliderCENTRAL

Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl

Posted By: Trisha

Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 04/08/18 11:10 PM

We recently lost her buddy, another female. Out of the two of them she is the dominant one. The girl we lost was friendly and mellow. We don't know if we should try to find another friend who is older or younger. Any recommendations?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 04/09/18 12:07 AM

Given that she is 4 years old, I would look for two the same age and have a trio. Finding one her age can be difficult.

That way if one passes you still have a pair.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 04/09/18 12:26 AM

Thank you. It was very tragic for our family and we want to do best thing for her.
Posted By: Terry

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 04/09/18 01:45 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. Kimberly has given you a good suggestion. In your circumstances, that sounds like the best option. Second, would be to find a single, if by chance you can.

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 04/28/18 11:27 PM

UPDATE:
Found a 4yr old neutered male who recently lost friend also. Picking him up tomorrow. Hope this ill be a match!
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 04/29/18 12:24 AM

Congratulations!!!
clap jump :hdance:

Be sure to read the section on intros.

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/..._Ea#Post1407885
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 04/29/18 04:41 PM

Wonderful. Hope they fall in love and live happily together.

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 04/30/18 01:45 AM

:jump2:
Posted By: Claralice

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 05/02/18 11:00 PM

Great news!

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 05/03/18 03:42 AM

SO it was not Iove at first sight. We have kept them separate and introduced in the tent for the past 3 nights. Our girl who is a crabby skittish type constantly chases him and they interact with a short fight and crab and then run away from each other. Our new guy seems sweet and easy going with us. Any advice? Will they ever get along ?

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 05/03/18 04:32 AM

Slow down, swap pouches for a week or so, let them or mainly her get used to his scent.

Right now she is defending her territory. Introductions should be made in a neutral place like the bathtub.

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 05/03/18 10:40 AM

Your tent more than likely is marked by your female, and she may be reluctant to allow another glider in her territory.

They need to meet in a neutral area, like the bathtub, and intros usually go easier in the morning when they are ready to go to bed for the day. On that note, this should happen when you are able to spend the day with them, and can observe any issues. Be sure to offer 2 dishes of food before they wake up in separate areas of the cage.

The cage they will be sharing together needs to be thoroughly cleaned and free of either gliders scent too. These animals are very territorial.

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 05/03/18 11:26 PM

Thank you for the advice. We will take it slower and try the recommended approach. stay tuned-nervously optimistic!

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 05/19/18 02:50 PM

update:
After taking all the advice , swapping pouches etc we finally introduced in the bathtub. There was little crabbing but they seemed to avoid then be curious about each other but one kept jumping out of tub so we decided to move to cage which we meticulously cleaned. We got all new everything including wheel and fresh Eucalyptus branches. Placed them both in the cage and they again were completely exploring but mostly ignoring each other. They both eventually settled in different pouches. Is this normal for now?

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 05/20/18 06:52 AM

Yes, separate pouches is good. There was no fighting, it could be several days before they share a pouch.

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 05/20/18 08:30 AM

Definitely a good sign. :thumb2:

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 05/20/18 01:07 PM

Happy to report they are now sleeping in same pouch. Thanks to this forum I didn't give up and followed the advice!

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 05/20/18 01:55 PM

clap

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 05/20/18 04:03 PM

Awesome clap
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 05/20/18 04:09 PM

I agree with the ladies, nice job!

Re: Find a companion for my 4 yr old girl - 05/20/18 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Hutch