GliderCENTRAL

Older female SG passed away - male alone

Posted By: cindylouwho

Older female SG passed away - male alone - 03/19/19 02:39 AM

Hello All,
I wasn’t sure which topic to post this under as it hits several different areas. Here goes...

My older female glider Lillian passed away on Sunday morning. She was sharing a habitat with a younger male, Hector, whom she treated like a son. She was the calm and sweet one who spent her time assuring him that everything was okay. When Hector started crabbing, she would cover him as “protection” and start bathing him.

So he is now alone. I have concerns and questions on what to do next. So far, Hector seems to be okay, crabbing as usual and now eating like a pig. Is his behavior so far an indication of how well he will handle his loss? What should I be looking for as far as red flags that he is not doing well? Has he just not realized she is truly gone? It has only been two days.

I also have a solo male, Freddie J, who lives in a habitat next to Hector’s. He is super calm, does not crab at all, and seems content living solo. I should mention, Hector is not neutered.

The first thing I am going to do is get Hector neutered. My thought is that it may calm him down, stop his stinky-ness, and keep him healthier. He has an appt in a bit over a week to have this done. Is that too soon or too much on him right now?

But, the bigger issue, what next as far as housing. I guess I have three options, all dependent on what Hector feels most comfortable with.
1. Keep him solo
2. Try moving the two boys in together (after Hector is neutered)
3. Find a senior female looking for a male to take care of

What are your thoughts on all of this? Hector’s response so far. Neutering him. Future housing.

I’m kind of a a loss right now.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Older female SG passed away - male alone - 03/19/19 01:30 PM

So sorry for your loss. I'm sure he misses her.

Watch him for over grooming. Try to keep him busy with toys like straws and foraging toys like Easter eggs.

Neutering next week should be enough time for greiving. Be sure he has some extra blankies in his pouch so he can make a nest and feel secure. You could put your scent on them by tucking them under your sleeping pillow. It will give him something to mark.

Feather will have some more good tips too.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Older female SG passed away - male alone - 03/19/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by cindylouwho
I also have a solo male, Freddie J, who lives in a habitat next to Hector’s. He is super calm, does not crab at all, and seems content living solo. I should mention, Hector is not neutered.

Freddie J might be your best option since their habitats are next to each other, and they probably are already aware of each other.

Once Hector is neutered, you could start the pouch swapping to see how they respond. What are their ages?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Older female SG passed away - male alone - 03/19/19 07:08 PM

Getting him neutered now would be great. Move the two boys cages til they are about 1 foot apart. About a week after he is neutered start swapping their sleeping pouches once or twice a week.

Here is my article on introductions: Introducing gliders.
Posted By: cindylouwho

Re: Older female SG passed away - male alone - 03/20/19 12:23 AM

Thank you everyone! I will definitely be keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn’t begin any destructive habits. And adding more toys is a great idea to keep him busy. Freddie has some plastic bracelets I hang on his perches every night. And the next day, they are always stuffed in his sleeping pouch with him. I guess sleeping on hard plastic is comfortable in some weird way.

My fingers are crossed that the boys will get along and Freddie J will share his bachelor pad. The boys are about 6, Lillian was 10ish. These are guesses as all three were rehomes. After Hector is neutered, I’ll move their enclosures closer together. Pouch swapping... this will be interesting.

Does it take a while for hormones to normalize after a neuter? How long does it take to recover? How do I keep Hector from opening his wound? The vet wanted to keep him overnight, but they do not have anyone there after hours, so I told them no, he was coming home with me. I can at least monitor him. Don’t want to leave my frightened little boy in a vet’s office with barking dogs all night and no one to watch him.

I’ll be bugging you with many more questions, which I hope you don’t mind. You are definitely much more knowledgeable on these little guys. I super appreciate all of your wonderful advice!! Keep the info coming...
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL