GliderCENTRAL

ANY ADVICE?? Intro to pregnant mother

Posted By: JazEmber

ANY ADVICE?? Intro to pregnant mother - 04/22/19 10:47 AM

Hi everyone, we're new to the forum but not as new to gliders. I had a question regarding a younger (10wk old) Joey being introduced to a pregnant mother.

We rehomed/adopted our first and she was 8 wks and then adopted her a cagemate. However it wasn't until they're vet check that we were told the older female was pregnant.

So we've done the toys/pouch swapping, they cage next to each other, intros have been done. Everything went very smoothly and they seem to enjoy each other alot.

My only concern is has anyone heard of experienced a younger Joey causing any accidental harm to the unpouched Joey's?
Would the younger ever try to nurse the pregnant mom and cause accidental harm?
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: ANY ADVICE?? Intro to pregnant mother - 04/22/19 11:07 AM

I would wait until Joey's are weaned just to be safe. Mom will have her hands full once the Joey's are Oop. It could cause too much stress on mom.

Re: ANY ADVICE?? Intro to pregnant mother - 04/22/19 11:22 AM

Thank you. That was some of my thoughts as well. They get along fine but it seems like the younger (Jaz) is very intrigued and like you mentioned, too much stress. I'm prepared for rejected Joey's but I don't want to cause rejection. I feel like I should possibly search for Jaz a cagemate.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: ANY ADVICE?? Intro to pregnant mother - 04/22/19 08:02 PM

If you're concerned he needs a friend, I would put that off for a bit. New scents for momma might not be a good idea right now.

Offer him some toys, does he have his own wheel?

Can you spend extra time with him? So you have a bonding bag?

Toys like barrel of monkeys, army men, dinosaurs, foraging toys, milk rings cut, kids plastic bracelets... Fleece pompoms, ping-pong balls, well i think you get the idea.

Re: ANY ADVICE?? Intro to pregnant mother - 04/23/19 04:32 PM

Yes, that was my concerns to have them together, companions but it should be time pretty soon for Joey(s) to start coming out of pouch. I guess depending on the sexes of Joey's (we will keep Joey(s)) we'll have cagemates for both pregnant mom and young Jaz.

Thank you so much for everyone's advice. I've been trying to post pics and I'll update when Joey's are here and how everything goes.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL