GliderCENTRAL

About my glider

Posted By: GliderParent

About my glider - 08/16/21 04:43 PM

Sadly one of my gliders has passed away, but I still have one and that is Smokey, but my question is now she is up all day and some of the night and sleeps very little, she will play all day and some of the night then sleep for very short hours I don't know if its because she doesn't have her sister to sleep with anymore, and I just want to know if she will be okay, for two more months until I get some more sugar gliders. And how will I introduce her to other gliders, because she is a very stubborn one.
Posted By: Feather

Re: About my glider - 08/16/21 04:57 PM

Yes, she is doing that because she is alone. She may normalize in a week or so.

Here is an article on introducing gliders.

Introducing Gliders.

I am ver sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: About my glider - 08/16/21 05:05 PM

So sorry for you loss.

Take some blankies (5x5" squares approximately) and rub them on your skin when you don't have time to spend with her. Tuck in to her pouch so she can have your smell and something to snuggle with.

You will have to spend more time with her. It may be a good time to do extra bonding. You can get some natural feathers (wash in Dawn dish soap, air dry first) and play tug of war, let her win. She will chew and tear up feather.

Make sure she has a glider safe wheel so she can run off extra energy.

You can also set up some of her fruits and vegs from her diet around the cage (hide them) so she can forage. It gives her things to do.

EDIT:. Here I go, talking about a safe wheel, and not checking the other posts ... Sorry about that.

Make sure there is plenty of space below and behind their wheel. The wheel needs to be at minimum 3" off the floor and 3" off of each side of the cage. There should be plenty of space behind it as well. Mine are 2.5 -3" off the wall behind wheel in case another glider decides hide behind it.

I have a little girl that still sits on the outside of her wheel (like a dog sits) and loves to ride around on the outside. She will grab her toy box for fun sometimes and spills it every where. My wheel is 5" off the floor, and sides so she can play like this freely. I have 2 wheels as she doesn't share well with Stewie.

Im sorry again for bringing this up, but it's important in order to avoid future accidents hug2

Re: About my glider - 08/17/21 12:13 AM

But my computer hasn't been working but has finally been fixed t, so i would have sent this sooner, but Smokey has been like this for 3 weeks now? Also side note is it normal for my glider to clean and pick at my head, its like she is checking my hair for bugs, and she has started doing it to everyone that plays with her, but when she did it to my stepbrother she checked his hair but didn't bite or pick at it......and I have dandruff issues so she literally chews and eats my dead scalp skin? But she scratches so hard it starts to bleed? And how do I get her to stop?
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: About my glider - 08/17/21 01:07 AM

You'll have to "Tsk" (it's a glider sound for I don't like what you're doing) her when she does this

You may want to try unscented shampoo as well.

This has probably become a fixation, and you may have to remove her from your head after you have "Tskd" her a few times. You can also follow with a firm No after Tsking.

Other glider words you can try are "sshht", "p" and "Ssst". They can mean different things, but it is to get their attention.

I Tsk for I don't like what you're doing,
I use "psht" to find them,
I use "Ssst" when they are out of my reach and that means no.
Then I use sshht for a reinforcement of no for TSK.
"P"I use when they bite and won't let go.

As far as smokey being alone all this time, it's a good idea for blankies to be in with her while she sleeps. It makes her feel cuddled.

Interaction with her, foraging, etc is a good idea to keep her busy. Remember her mate is gone and she needs enrichment. Stimulation.

Also watch for over grooming.

It's never too late to start giving her more things to do...

Re: About my glider - 08/17/21 03:09 PM

Okay! Thank you soooo much!!! I will try that out and keep you updated!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL