GliderCENTRAL

Exo Terra: Forest Bark

Posted By: Anonymous

Exo Terra: Forest Bark - 09/15/09 09:25 PM

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/forest_bark.php

I was wondering if this was a suitable substrate for gliders and if anyone has used it. I normally use pine shavings, but saw this today at a local pet store. It says it's a %100 natural fir bark, which I believe is non-toxic, is this correct?
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Exo Terra: Forest Bark - 09/15/09 09:38 PM

I don't know about the bark but please stop using the pine shavings. When the gliders pee on the pine, it releases oils that can cause respritory illness with gliders (and most small animals).

Some other alternatives that people seem to like is "Yesterdays news", fleece sheet (they can just shake off and throw in the washer), black and white newspaper, or in my case, I don't use anything, just clean the trays daily.
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Exo Terra: Forest Bark - 09/15/09 10:59 PM

I would stop using the pine and stay away from any Fir trees. A better alternative, depending on your cage is to use fleece or newspaper as Teresa suggested or like I do, with paper towel on the pull out tray under the grate. I like this cuz I can see that all is well (or not) with elimination of my gliders and it's very easy to clean up every few days. I just use non bleach wipes and add fresh paper towels and it's done!
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Exo Terra: Forest Bark - 09/16/09 11:55 PM

I don't use anything at all either. My thought is those types of bedding are for animals that walk/sleep IN the bedding. Since our cages have the bottom wire and pull out tray, I find it to be a waste of money. I also think that it holds in odors because you don't "see" that it is dirty. I just pull out the trays daily and wipe down with a wet cloth. When necessary I will spray a vinegar/water mixture onto the tray and wipe it down.

If you need to use something, I agree with the above recommendations, especially the fleece idea. You can shake the waste off of it and wash - then re-use!
© 2021 GliderCENTRAL