GliderCENTRAL

My new boy doesn't seem to groom himself

Posted By: heddy

My new boy doesn't seem to groom himself - 12/09/16 03:16 PM

Hello all, new suggie momma here. I got a female back in October and have gone through the bonding process with her and everything has gone very well. She is sweet and loving and healthy. She is also very clean. I knew she needed a friend so just over a week ago I picked up a male and he is in a cage next to her so they can start to acclimate to one another. Bonding between him and I isn't going as quickly, which I know can happen and I'm being patient...but he's so dirty! He always has excrement stuck in his tail or somewhere on his body. I see him clean his hands after eating but I have seen no other attempt at him cleaning himself. Should I be concerned about this? My girl is so nice and neat, maybe she will help him out, but I also am not sure I should introduce such a dirty thing into her environment. Just reread that last sentence and it sounds harsh, I really do love him and he's being well cared for, he is in my shirt right now, but hopefully you understand my only concern is hygeine and not creating an unhealthy environment for both of them. Thanks for any insight.
Posted By: Feather

Re: My new boy doesn't seem to groom himself - 12/10/16 01:34 AM

I would take him to the vet to rule out any illness or parasites.

Have him checked for a UTI and parasites, specially Giardia.

Plus then you know he is healthy.

You remember when we were kids and thought boys stunk, well.... shakehead
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: My new boy doesn't seem to groom himself - 12/10/16 05:22 AM

I agree with Feather. Also if he has something contagious you want to take care of it before intros. Cages should be far apart if not in separate rooms if you suspect he may not be well.
Posted By: the gliders angel

Re: My new boy doesn't seem to groom himself - 12/11/16 05:59 AM

find a glider knowledgeable vet and tell them to run a fecal float smear also can ck for giardia I'm sure he will work out for your girl just make sure the vet is familiar with gliders
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL