GliderCENTRAL

Fur Maintenance

Posted By: aidreu

Fur Maintenance - 01/16/17 12:33 AM

Hi there! First time posting. I am the owner of 5 gliders, two of which are about a year old and three of their offsprings. I've noticed that three of my oldest gliders' furs are slightly yellow. Read a few articles on it and I'm about 99% sure that it isn't jaundice or caused by their diet. So I was just wondering, how do you guys maintain the color of your glider's fur? Is it possible for their fur to return to its original state? Would appreciate any answers from experience or any links to articles that can tell me more! Thank you smile
Posted By: Feather

Re: Fur Maintenance - 01/16/17 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: aidreu
Hi there! First time posting. I am the owner of 5 gliders, two of which are about a year old and three of their offsprings. I've noticed that three of my oldest gliders' furs are slightly yellow. Read a few articles on it and I'm about 99% sure that it isn't jaundice or caused by their diet. So I was just wondering, how do you guys maintain the color of your glider's fur?Going by the fact that you have the offspring of your glider I am going to assume that you have an intact male. The glands from an intact male can cause the fur to take on a yellowish tint. Neutering your males would help in getting rid of the yellow tint. Is it possible for their fur to return to its original state? Would appreciate any answers from experience or any links to articles that can tell me more! Thank you smile

Check my comment in red.
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Fur Maintenance - 01/16/17 11:20 AM

In addition to what Kimberly stated, you may need to give the cage a serious scrubbing. For a while after a shoulder surgery, I couldn't do much better than a good wipe down weekly. My glider's bellies started to get a yellow shade to their bellies. Once I was able, I gave the cage a good scrub down & they have clean white bellies again.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL