GliderCENTRAL

How to trim a gliders' nails when it hasn't bonded to you yet?

Posted By: FunInTheSun

How to trim a gliders' nails when it hasn't bonded to you yet? - 05/11/17 04:25 PM

I've noticed my gliders' nails are getting caught on their pouches in their cage lately, and I know their nails need to be trimmed, but I can't do it myself since they're nowhere near bonded to me yet. Any tips on how to do it or get it done? I was thinking of taking them to my veterinarian so she could do it, but I don't want to traumatize them!
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: How to trim a gliders' nails when it hasn't bonded to you yet? - 05/11/17 07:40 PM

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

How ever, I found a trip to the vet is a bit stressful for them, but they will prefer you over the vet after that. And you can see how it's done.

Be sure to tell the vet to leave their groomer nails alone.. they are the two toes fused together on their back feet. (Unless they are curling in to the foot. Those don't normally cause problems with snagging.
Posted By: Hutch

Re: How to trim a gliders' nails when it hasn't bonded to you yet? - 05/11/17 08:02 PM

You could always try getting a wheel with sandpaper. I've not had to cut my furballs nails since I began using it!
Posted By: drum

Re: How to trim a gliders' nails when it hasn't bonded to you yet? - 05/12/17 07:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Hutch
You could always try getting a wheel with sandpaper. I've not had to cut my furballs nails since I began using it!

I bought one of those but haven't used it yet, since I need some assistance getting the wheel in and out of my cage, but just remember your only suppose to put that sandy trimmer track in there only for 24-36 hours and then take it out because it can do damage if you keep it in there for overuse. wink
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: How to trim a gliders' nails when it hasn't bonded to you yet? - 05/12/17 08:46 AM

What kind of wheel do you have?
Posted By: Hutch

Re: How to trim a gliders' nails when it hasn't bonded to you yet? - 05/12/17 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: drum
Originally Posted By: Hutch

I bought one of those but haven't used it yet, since I need some assistance getting the wheel in and out of my cage, but just remember your only suppose to put that sandy trimmer track in there only for 24-36 hours and then take it out because it can do damage if you keep it in there for overuse. wink

The only wheel I know of with this issue is the Wodent Wheel. There are several other types (like the stealth or raptor) that you can leave attached all the time since they do not run directly on the sandpaper.
Posted By: BYK_Chainsaw

Re: How to trim a gliders' nails when it hasn't bonded to you yet? - 05/14/17 04:00 PM

1. we cut a small hole in a homemade bonding pouch. we get the glider in there (sleepy daytime is best time) and try to get them to stay calm or nap. then I pull out a leg, letting them grab your finger seems to help them stay relaxed, and my wife will cut the nail.
2. during nighttime the last time we cut them, in the playroom, my wife just grabbed them, they would not stay still in bag. Put fingers under chin and over head so they couldn't bite (some of ours still bite during NAIL CUTTING TIME) and I grabbed a leg and she cut. the gliders didnt like this way as much, but when it was done they were fine. we gave them a few mealworms and they were happy.
3. we tried netted pouch, but was hard to get a cut on nail thru bag, and the see thru netting seemed to really stress out the gliders, lots of poo and pee.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL