GliderCENTRAL

Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried

Posted By: AceM

Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried - 01/16/18 07:55 AM

I adopted 2 recently from somebody and i gave a glider 3 crickets from petco and later learned they have that alfatoxin

Is there anything that i should do, dont want em to die or get sick
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried - 01/16/18 04:12 PM

How did you learn the crickets from Petco have the alfatoxin? Was there a warning posted at Petco or something after you bought the crickets?

Normally you want to make sure the crickets you purchase are not raised on corn which is the main cause for the aflatoxin.

They should be okay having only eaten three.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried - 01/16/18 06:26 PM

I agree with Karen. Pet stores should be watching their crickets as aflatoxins would hurt reptiles as well.

I wouldn't worry about it this time, but keep an eye out in the future.

Re: Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried - 01/16/18 08:14 PM

I meant i later learned that some have the toxin from forums, i dont know if specifically they do from petco

Re: Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried - 01/16/18 11:46 PM

Then I wouldn't worry about the ones you got from Petco.
Posted By: Terry

Re: Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried - 01/17/18 02:58 AM

I used to get my Leopard Gecko crickets from either Petco, PetSmart, or even a small pet store closer to home (since closed), and never had a problem with aflatoxins. I'm sure they keep some track of it.

Though, Suggies do not have to eat insects, unless you are providing a diet that specifically calls for them to be fed as part of the staple. Some use them as treats as well, but it's not, other that specified in a diet a must have.

Re: Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried - 01/19/18 05:44 AM

Well there doesnt seem to be any issues with them, so im glad, the diet does not call for it as im using TPG but i did want them to have some natural hunting but i rather not risk it

If pet stores keep their supply under control, then how come there is quite a few results in google about it, i would assume pet stores ARE where people get their insects from

People have also said that gliders may have a weaker biology than reptiles and toxins are more harmful to them
Posted By: Feather

Re: Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried - 01/19/18 07:48 PM

If you want them to hunt, get a feather toy without catnip and play with them at tent time.

They tear up feathers so don't leave it in the cage, they will destroy it.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried - 01/21/18 05:21 PM

Aflatoxin is also something the builds toxicity over time. Unless they were very tainted, in which case you would have known very quickly, they are likely fine. I know a lot of people that have fed pet store crickets for years with no issues. The reason people recommend getting crickets directly from the feeder insect breeders is because it is (generally) more consistent quality.

Re: Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried - 01/26/18 03:20 AM

So i went back to pet store and asked them, they showed me 2 tubs, a moisture supplement that the main ingredient was corn and the actual grain meal which was also corn based

The brand was flukers

I will try the feather toy, with the side effect being bonding
Posted By: ptamom

Re: Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried - 01/26/18 11:44 PM

I have a Chinese Water Dragon that can eat crickets. I buy all of my food from a local reptile store and they have a sign that says "something similar to the disease that crickets could have." I have not since feed her any crickets. I stick with cockroaches.

I have only given my eldest glider a cockroach once and she loved it but it took so long for the roach to die that I was grossed out and haven't done it again.

Re: Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried - 01/27/18 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: ptamom
I have a Chinese Water Dragon that can eat crickets. I buy all of my food from a local reptile store and they have a sign that says "something similar to the disease that crickets could have." I have not since feed her any crickets. I stick with cockroaches.

I have only given my eldest glider a cockroach once and she loved it but it took so long for the roach to die that I was grossed out and haven't done it again.

I'm sure we have all seen or heard that cockroaches will probably be the only thing to survive if the time ever comes for that all out nuclear war agree They are beyond tuff little suckers rofl

If you are going to feed your gliders crickets, my suggestion would be to order them on line from a trusted vendor.
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Gave new glider 3 crickets, should i be worried - 01/27/18 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: KarenE
They are beyond tuff little suckers
Also good dipped chocolate. thumb
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL