GliderCENTRAL

Questions about wellness checks

Posted By: Zassharrah

Questions about wellness checks - 06/01/18 05:38 PM

I've had my fur babies for a couple of months and am finally bonded with them enough to feel comfortable taking them to a vet for a wellness check and have a few questions.
1. Is this actually something I need to do? They seem healthy but I don't think they have ever been to a vet before because they are so young.
2. If 1 is yes then about how much do the vets charge per glider?
3. What should I expect at a wellness check?
note: I am probably just going to call the vet that I plan on going to and asking them what the cost would be and what to expect but I am just trying to get a feel for what the norm is.

Daisy :grey:
Winry :cream:
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Questions about wellness checks - 06/01/18 07:46 PM

Hi and Welcome to GC!!!

My exotic vet charges $79 for 1, and $140 for both.. it includes fecal and well check. $10 for both to have nails clipped at same time.

Will add more soon, gotta go.

So glad you're here!
Posted By: Feather

Re: Questions about wellness checks - 06/01/18 11:23 PM

It is good to have an initial visit with your vet and gliders to establish a relationship with your vet.

Having their weight taken, listen to their hearts and lungs, fecals including testing for Giardia.

It is also important that you watch your gliders weights by weighing them at least monthly at the same time of the day each month, keep a record of those weights.
Posted By: Zassharrah

Re: Questions about wellness checks - 06/01/18 11:31 PM

I have an appointment for both of my little critters for 2 weeks from now! I found a vet nearby that does exotic mammals so I'm pretty excited and the cost per glider is only about $63 so not bad. I gotta figure out how exactly I'm going to get there as I don't have a car but I figure as long as they are in their travel cage I should be fine. Worst case I just get a Zipcar.
What kind of scale should I have for weighing these guys? I only have a bathroom scale and that won't be very helpful.
Thanks ^_^

Daisy :grey:
Winry :cream:
Posted By: Feather

Re: Questions about wellness checks - 06/02/18 05:57 AM

Get yourself a gram scale from Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond. One that is used for weighing food.

When you weigh them put one in the pouch and weigh him or her then weigh the pouch and subtract that amount to get the weight of the glider.

Weigh them in grams. Most scale you can weigh in both grams and ounces.
Posted By: BYK_Chainsaw

Re: Questions about wellness checks - 06/02/18 05:33 PM

Our first vet cost $100 but we took 2 gliders and I don't remember if that was total or for each. they gave good information and seemed knowledgeable, but they offered nail cutting but couldn't do it, they were less skilled then me and my wife that had just bought gliders 3 months ago.

we ended up going with another vet, with father and son vets, experienced and are very knowledgeable.
We paid $40 for the visit plus a small charge for a fecal test, maybe $40. the second visit was for 5 gliders and still only cost $40. with our hard to handle new glider he used a fish tank to get a good look at glider.
Ask your vet as many questions as you can.
having a baseline with a vet saying they are healthy is a good thing.
Our vet looked all over the glider, weight them, handled them some while inspecting, answered my questions, and gave me suggestions on some of the gliders.
Posted By: BYK_Chainsaw

Re: Questions about wellness checks - 06/02/18 05:40 PM

I have a small "manual" scale, no batteries, its not as accurate, I usually use it for glider food, but it ALWAYS works.
I have a larger flat electronic scale is much easier to weight the glider, give very accurate (I tested it) weight. BUT takes two small batteries $11 to replace and I have has to replace them twice so far and I don't even use the scale very often. I would suggest taking OUT the batteries after each use, for an electronic scale. they cost only $20 at walmart.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL