GliderCENTRAL

I have mice

Posted By: Zassharrah

I have mice - 07/15/18 08:27 PM

Hi all,
I have some mice in my apartment (not pets) and I'm trying to get rid of them without calling an exterminator because that is expensive and I would have to do it through my apartment and that could take a month or more just to process the request. I am trying to find the safest way to get rid of the mice without putting my fur babies in more danger. So far I've been using snap traps and only letting my sugar gliders out with supervised play but I still have mice (I haven't caught any yet) and I am nervous about the snap traps. Has anyone had this problem and what was your solution? Note: I am probably going to talk to my building manager soon about getting an exterminator in here but making sure that they are supervised so that they don't use anything that would be dangerous. I would appreciate any advice that people have to give.

Daisy :grey:
Winry :cream:
Posted By: Feather

Re: I have mice - 07/15/18 09:19 PM

Don't use poison, if a mouse gets in the cage with your gliders and they get to it they will be exposed to the poison and will die.

What are you bating your snap traps with, peanut butter works best, you want to place the traps where you have found evidence of mice.

Check your dressers for evidence of mice, some dressers they can get into and they will nest among your clothes.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: I have mice - 07/15/18 09:30 PM

This is a tough issue for me for the following reasons.

Poison: If the mouse climbs the cage looking for water, the glider may eat that mouse and the poison in their bloodstream will kill the glider.

Snap traps: a glider may escape cage and get in the trap.

Glue traps: if a glider gets into that, well it's a mess to get the glue off them.

Bucket trap: same as above.

First thing you should do is find how they are getting in. Get that taken care of.

I use a tall kitchen trash can next to kitchen cabinets. I balance a paint stir at with peanut butter, flour, or bacon grease baited on stick hanging over the trash can. It works by balance.
Posted By: Zassharrah

Re: I have mice - 07/15/18 10:11 PM

Thanks. I figured I shouldn't use poison so that hasn't even been on my radar. I've been using peanut butter as bait on the snap traps but the mice are so small that I don't think they weigh enough to trigger them. So far I have found one place that they are definitely getting in from but I know that there are others because I live in an old building. I hadn't even thought of them nesting in my dressers so I will check that. Thanks for listing pros and cons of the different traps for me. I think I'm going to order some sticky traps because as much as I don't want my gliders getting stuck in them during play time, that is still preferable to them getting into a trap that might kill them before I can get to them.

Daisy :grey:
Winry :cream:

Re: I have mice - 07/15/18 10:50 PM

One of our members used Sculpey and shredded tin foil to use like putty to fill holes.

Sculpey is modeling clay.

Small mice are hard to catch. Glue traps with Peanut butter or flour piled in the middle helps.
Posted By: Feather

Re: I have mice - 07/16/18 01:14 AM

We always used steel wool to stuff the holes where they were getting in.

Check your pantry.

There is a live trap out there that you would find in places like Tractor Supply, Farm and Fleet and Fleet Farm, you wind it up and place it where mice have a trail to run through. They run through the trap and it flips them in, then you can release them or drown them your choice.

For me if it isn't a domestic mouse it is a dead mouse.
Posted By: Claralice

Re: I have mice - 07/17/18 03:10 AM

Easiest thing in the world! Use coca cola or pepsi-even dr pepper!
Use a an old lid/bottle cap and fill with the pop daily! They are drawn to the sweet smell and taste. Also need to find their hole and use a brillo pad or steel wool to fill it as they cannot chew through this material.
Store the rest of your pop in the fridge with the lid tightly closed. They cannot burp (or fart) and they implode. You will need to locate the bodies though.
Posted By: GumpyWills

Re: I have mice - 07/20/18 05:11 AM

Glue traps? Are you kidding me?

Take one read of this and tell me it's a good idea.

Incredibly inhumane and silly to use a trap like that. Sure, you might get to your gliders alive, but that assumes the stress and physical injury from pulling themselves out doesn't kill them first.

Those damn glue traps should be outlawed completely. Torture devices, nothing more.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: I have mice - 07/20/18 02:12 PM

GumpyWills, I appreciate your taking the time to pick this topic for your first post. It is apparent you are very passionate about not using glue traps and make valid points.

While the topic was asking about how to get rid of mice several of our members did point out the glue traps were not a good idea because of the close proximity to their gliders.

In our archives we actually do have at least one thread I remember (an possibly more) on the evils of these glue traps.

5 Humane Ways To Get Rid Of Mice

Re: I have mice - 07/24/18 12:24 AM

Yeah, I've had some pretty bad experiences with these traps. Hate them with a passion.

Peppermint oil is actually a very effective deterrent. I'm surprised more people don't try it, perhaps people just can't stand the smell I guess?

Re: I have mice - 07/24/18 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By: GumpyWills
Yeah, I've had some pretty bad experiences with these traps. Hate them with a passion.

Peppermint oil is actually a very effective deterrent. I'm surprised more people don't try it, perhaps people just can't stand the smell I guess?

My hubby can't stand the smell of many things like moth balls(only under the house), peppermint, and name brand scented dryer sheets which are all deterrents.

So peppermint oil works the best?

I think I will approach this with him again, and see which is the lesser evil to his nose.

Re: I have mice - 08/03/18 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver

My hubby can't stand the smell of many things like moth balls(only under the house), peppermint, and name brand scented dryer sheets which are all deterrents.

So peppermint oil works the best?

I think I will approach this with him again, and see which is the lesser evil to his nose.

Yes, it's the best deterrent short of cat pee (some places sell a chemical you can spray that smells like it).
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL