GliderCENTRAL

Constipatio

Posted By: Anonymous

Constipatio - 08/15/18 11:59 PM

Hello, I’m portuguese so I’m sorry for my bad English but it’s urgent. My sugar glider is constantly hissing, he pooped a little bit yesterday but that’s it. He peed today and only today since he’s hissing. He’s seems to be fine, he runs, jumps, but sometimes he stops to hiss. I already lost my first sugar glider because of diarhea I don’t want to loose this one too please. Can someone help me ?? I can’t go to the vet because I’m 16 and my parents say to me that it’s a Small animal so the vet cannot help I don’t know what to do, I love him so much... 😭 I gave him today Apple Juice and that’s it I think that’s why he peed but he seems to be in pain I’m dying I hate to see him like this, please help me 😔
Posted By: sugarfluff

Re: Constipatio - 08/16/18 02:07 AM

Hello, sorry your little glider isn't doing well. Let me ask a few questions for starters to learn a bit more about the situation...

What diet are you feeding?

Does he have a cagemate? You mentioned you lost one due to diarrhea, when did that happen?

How old is your glider? And where did you get him from? A breeder?

Has he been eating or drinking anything?

Is he active?

Are there any other things going on besides hissing? Does he only hiss when peeing and pooping?

The more info we know can help us understand and answer a bit better. He is small but it is recommended for gliders to have vet check ups. He should be checked for a urinary infection and parasites. We don't judge here, and only want to help. Please also consider registering on the site. You will be able to access more info and we will be able to follow your story.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Constipatio - 08/16/18 09:39 AM

I understand how your parents think. But there are vet's out there who specialize in exotics and small animals.

However your little one may have a UTI(urinary tract infection). And only a vet who sees Sugar gliders can determine that for sure. He will need antibiotics that only a vet can issue in the correct amount.

We do have a database of vet's who see gliders. Just click on the blue word vet.

There are preventative measures you can take to lower the risk of future infections.

Please register so you can take full advantage of this site and we can keep track of you and your gliders progress.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Constipatio - 08/16/18 04:09 PM

Feed her as many fruits and vegetables that are high in water content as possible such as watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, cucumbers etc.

It is also very important that she be on a good staple that meets all her dietary needs plus fruits and veggies.

Anywhere you see the word diet hightlighted, click on it and it will take you to our database.

If you have any questions about diets, feel free to ask in our Diet & Nutrition Fourm.

I am going to move your post now to our Health & Hygiene Forum.

Please take a few moments to register in order that you may post in the entire message board.
Posted By: MairimBP

Re: Constipatio - 08/16/18 07:34 PM

Hi Sugarfluff, to answer your question the diet I give to him is mostly about fruits, specially apple and pear ( he loves it ).
He’s only 1 year old, his friend was 3 months younger than him. It happen in April and no he doesn’t have a cagemate but I play with him everything single day but at the end of the month he will smile
I got him in a breeder in Portugal.
He’s drinking apple Juice with water, and he’s eating vegetables and fruits and a little bit of meat ( baby food)
Tico is very actif, he jumps everywhere and that glider stuff eheh but he stops to hiss but he’s not in pooping position ( I only think it’s constipation because he just doesn’t poop or pee like he used to do)

Talking about vets my parents lost faith in vets because Teco died with all the medications and that stuff so... It’s going to very difficult to take him to the vet frown I just want him to be fine I don’t even sleep at night because of him...

Thanks for all the answers

Re: Constipatio - 08/16/18 08:51 PM

Btw now I gave him Yellow Watermelon and Melon, I also massage his belly and he started with the hissing thing, and he peed ! I think it’s because of the juicy fruits but he steels not pooping, that’s the problem.
His eyes are very open and his nose is wet.
Tico’s belly is kinda hard I don’t know how to explain but after peed the belly was more softer..

I also talked with my parents about the vet they seem less negatif about the idea of getting him to a vet ( which is awesome ) so I sent an email to a vet near me and I’m waiting for their answer smile
But I don’t know what to do meanwhile, in his cage he stays in his coconut and sleeps, in a « ball » position... I guess it’s because of the pain..?
Conclusion: He pee a lot but still don’t poop... I also think he’s hissing less and less.. I hope he gets better

Re: Constipatio - 08/17/18 12:08 PM

So I missed the fact he isn't pooping. You might try canned unseasoned pumpkin.

But please try to get him to a vet.

As far as faith in vet care, there are consultant vets who may be able to answer and concerns your vet may have

Re: Constipatio - 08/18/18 01:17 PM

So I’ve got new news !! I went with Tico to the Vet, she gave him some massages and he started pooping, he has a big ball in his stomach but normally with the medication he Will get better, I’m so happy, thanks to everyone you really helped a lot <3
Tico Will recover from his constipation smile

Re: Constipatio - 08/18/18 04:33 PM

Great news! Thank you for the update. smile
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL