GliderCENTRAL

Need advise after tail amputation. E collar looks sore.

Posted By: Poelie

Need advise after tail amputation. E collar looks sore. - 08/31/18 05:54 AM

Good morning everyone. My two sugar gliders got entangled with their tails in a thread and sadly this resulted in a tail amputation for both. They only have 3 a 4 cm left as it was very severe. Last Sunday afternoon they got operated on and since then I got them both in a e collar as they wont leave their tails alone. As I read they are prone to sores so I have been removing the e collar twice a day. This so they can properly have a meal and I can give their collar and necks a thorough check.

This morning I saw one of the gliders had a bit of a sore neck. It doesn't look like a sore yet, but it defiantly looks irritated at this point. My question, what to do to prevent it turning worse? For now I adjusted the collar slightly but they are still going for their tails as soon they finish eating so leaving it off is not an option. Sadly I also wont be able to monitor them the whole day due to work.

Important note, im living in UAE so I wont be able to order anything from USA for it to arrive in time. So need advise which
I can make/do myself.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Need advise after tail amputation. E collar looks sore. - 08/31/18 07:39 AM

You could make an ejacket. Instructions here:

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=mcguyver_ejacket

Are the gliders together or in separate cages?

Re: Need advise after tail amputation. E collar looks sore. - 08/31/18 10:01 AM

They are separate yes as one of them tries plucking now at the other tail since the operation. Tried the e jacket but I am unable to properly get it secured. By the looks of it he might even reach the tip anyway with the jacket on.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Need advise after tail amputation. E collar looks sore. - 08/31/18 02:56 PM

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this double amputation and now one is having an issue with the sore neck.

In this article How to Make A Satellite Collar, it show how to use either Molefoam or Moleskin to pad the neck opening so the collar does not rub directly against the skin.

This product is found stores in the foot care department if you are not familiar with it.

Be careful that you do not add too much so that the collar is too tight around the neck but just enough to make it more comfortable.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Need advise after tail amputation. E collar looks sore. - 09/01/18 12:14 AM

I am sorry you're having problems with the little stinkers going after their tails.

As far as the instructions for the e'jacket, you need to place a small piece of plastic like from a notebook or soda bottle inside of it to make a stay, that keeps them from bending over to reach their tails.

You would use Duct tape or Gorilla tape to keep it on them.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Need advise after tail amputation. E collar looks sore. - 09/01/18 01:57 AM

Please use extra caution with that Gorilla Tape. It sticks, but it sticks like nothing you have ever used. I hate to think what would happen it if accidentally stuck to fur or a glider got somehow got skin stuck to it.

Re: Need advise after tail amputation. E collar looks sore. - 09/04/18 09:59 AM

Thanks for all the advises, have been reading them but didn't have a chance to respond before as the last few days I have been really busy.

So this weekend I adjusted both their cones with some extra padding. Sadly after 2 days they both where able to get out (I guess the extra padding made it easier) and both removed all their stitches. Thankfully the stitches where in for about a week and their tails looked fine. Also the one with the irritated neck gave me a hypoglycemia or dehydration scare. Thankfully I caught it in time and he pulled through. But this made me decide to leave his cone off as clearly he is not dealing with it well and see what happens. After the initial cleaning, he hasn't touched the tail since.

I re-adjusted the cone for the other to how it was before as he still tries and lick it too much (he has a chubby neck so it isnt bothering him as it did on the other). We have been to the vet after they removed the stitches and the small one giving me the scare and both got the all clear. So all fingers crossed that it will only go uphill from now on
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Need advise after tail amputation. E collar looks sore. - 09/04/18 09:26 PM

Sounds like great news!!!

You are doing great! jump clap :hdance:
Posted By: Feather

Re: Need advise after tail amputation. E collar looks sore. - 09/04/18 10:18 PM

I usually just let them in the cage after surgery without an cone or e-jacket. Mine usually just groom their tails and take out the stitches then leave it alone, specially if their amputation wasn't due to them self mutilating an injury.

If it was because they argued and someone bit someone else's tail and it was dying they just take out the stitches and then their life goes on as if it didn't happen.

I am glad they are leaving it alone for you.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL