GliderCENTRAL

Illness help.

Posted By: Wrichter

Illness help. - 10/16/18 01:44 AM

Hello all, new to the forum. Greetings from GA,

My glider Ricochet is in a pretty bad place, sheís stopped eating on her own lost 12 grams over the past 6-7 days. Have taken her to the vet and they found a few lesions on her gums but they werenít entirely convinced thatís what was causing her not to eat. Iíve had sick gliders before but her body language is peculiar to me this time around. Sheís still got a good amount of energy, and sheís in no way lethargic or slow to respond. She still jumps around her cage and with the exception of loosing weight her activity level hasnít changed much. Iím currently syringe feeding her as best I can but after a follow up today sheís not making any progress. Iím stumped as to what could be done next. Vet cleared her of any worms/parasites up to this point. Any insight would be appreciated.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Illness help. - 10/16/18 02:51 AM

Did he put her on any antibiotics or pain medications. Pain meds would make it less painful for her to eat.

Add some avocado to her diet.

Here is a list of vets that will consult with other vets, maybe he can bounce some ideas off of these vets: http://www.sugargliderhelp.com/links/pag...vets/index.html

Please keep us posted on her prognosis.
Posted By: Wrichter

Re: Illness help. - 10/16/18 03:41 AM

Yes she is on an antibiotic, no painkillers though. I know they are very good at hiding pain and discomfort but she doesnít appear to be hurting enough not to eat. For the most part she laps up what I give her with the syringe very well, she just has no appetite on her own it seems. Iíll browse through the link. Thank you
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Illness help. - 10/20/18 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Wrichter
Yes she is on an antibiotic, no painkillers though. I know they are very good at hiding pain and discomfort but she doesnít appear to be hurting enough not to eat. For the most part she laps up what I give her with the syringe very well, she just has no appetite on her own it seems. Iíll browse through the link. Thank you

Eating through a syringe is much different than eating on her own where she has to open her mouth, grab and then chew. I recommend heading back to the vet and having xrays done. Given that there are no other outward symptoms other than some weight loss, as well as the lesions in her mouth, indicates to me that there is likely more going on in her mouth/jaw. Xrays are the only way to tell you what is actually going on because it's nearly impossible to tell, short of actually SEEING a bad tooth, what else is happening. Please get her back in and make this your starting point.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Illness help. - 10/20/18 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Wrichter
Vet cleared her of any worms/parasites up to this point. Any insight would be appreciated.

One other thing - how did the vet clear her of worms and/or parasites? What tests were run?
© 2019 GliderCENTRAL