GliderCENTRAL

Need help

Posted By: allteus

Need help - 02/06/19 03:31 AM

One of our gliders got hung up today panicked and started jumping and screaming and before we could get her cage open she ripped half of her tail off. we got the bleeding stopped (she barely bled ) and she is acting fine still playing and eating but what can we safely use to prevent infection and help with pain that is safe for her. There is nothing sticking out from the end and any advice would be welcome. We also need to know a vet near van wert ohio that can help. Thanks!
Posted By: Feather

Re: Need help - 02/06/19 05:05 AM

Hi,

Sorry your glider got hurt. The big thing before you get her to a vet is to make sure she doesn't chew on it and make it worse. If there is no bone sticking out, it will just be a matter of some antibiotics for infection and let it heal.

The list of Veterinarians in Ohio just click on the blue text.

Re: Need help - 02/06/19 05:52 PM

Ok we took her to the vet and they are saying where we cleaned it last night then folded the skin over then put neosporin on it periodically that her tail is already starting to heal. So with that being the case they did a medical scrub of the area and put her on honey flavored antibiotics and pain meds saying she should have a full recovery.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Need help - 02/06/19 05:55 PM

Great news!!!!! Oh and :welcome2: to glider Central!

Please keep us posted on his progress.

Re: Need help - 02/06/19 05:56 PM

Also want to thank connie small for her help and advice over the phone and heather for your advice.

Re: Need help - 02/06/19 06:08 PM

And by the way we have three sugar gliders =
DUCKY - oop september 10th 2018
PETRIE 2 - oop september 4th 2018
CERA - oop November 10th 2018

We also had PETRIE 1 who was 2 but he recently had a heart attack due to his health from actions of his previous human.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Need help - 02/06/19 07:27 PM

Glad you the injury was not worse, and you had a good report to post.

Welcome to GliderCENTRAL
wave

Re: Need help - 02/06/19 07:46 PM

Tyvm

Re: Need help - 02/06/19 10:35 PM

Thankfully you had an easy tail injury, I have had three tail amputations and one that we are trying to save the tail on (it is up close to his butt). None of them were easy. But I am loving my new veterinarian.
Posted By: Claralice

Re: Need help - 02/07/19 04:45 AM

Wow, glad the little one is okay. Can you tell me-so I can catch an issue early, where or what the tail was caught on/in?

Re: Need help - 02/20/19 03:03 AM

She got her tail stuck between the water bottle and the cage when she had her tail stuck out through the cage and happened to catch it just right when she jumped towards the bottom of the cage.

Re: Need help - 02/20/19 03:27 AM

How's the tail doing?

Re: Need help - 02/21/19 04:20 AM

She is doing fine and was even able to be put in with ducky so they now have a cage mate. Also our boy petrie just got fixed today and has been talking to the girls a lot this past week since he is seeing them play so we are going to do some introducing this weekend in the play tent and if all goes well he will be moving in with his roomates.

Re: Need help - 02/21/19 01:58 PM

That is great news!!!! Thank you for keeping us updated!

I hope intros go well.

Re: Need help - 02/21/19 04:22 PM

clap Great News!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL