GliderCENTRAL

Weight loss in Benny

Posted By: Mandy

Weight loss in Benny - 06/23/19 02:04 AM

My glider seems very skinny he lost his mate in February he used to be fairly plumb. I took him to the vet and he said nothing was wrong with him he weighs just shy of 70 grams now he is approx 9 years old and vet said he is just old . He has a good appetite but my daughter just came home from college and says he seems very skinny . Should I be concerned ? I was literally just at the vet 2 days ago and now I’m starting to worry .
Posted By: Xeno

Re: Weight loss in Benny - 06/23/19 06:35 AM

Your glider is a little old man now and from what I have read usually gliders naturally lose weight as they age even as they eat the same. I would just make sure he is eating normally and he should be fine. I would watch for signs of loneliness though.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Weight loss in Benny - 06/23/19 08:28 AM

I agree with Zeno. He may need extra attention. Some out of cage play interaction with you, and time in a bonding bag during the day.

Watch for over grooming and his food intake.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Weight loss in Benny - 06/23/19 02:22 PM

Loosing weight happens when gliders get to their geriatric years. You can add Avocado to his diet a couple times a week. It adds good calories to his diet.

Re: Weight loss in Benny - 06/23/19 02:50 PM

Thanks so much everyone . What are some other fattening food ideas ? Also how old in general do gliders get?

Re: Weight loss in Benny - 06/23/19 03:00 PM

Also his belly has been darkening in color of fur more towards a yellow tint
Posted By: Feather

Re: Weight loss in Benny - 06/23/19 10:59 PM

Gliders can live 8 to 15 years in captivity.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL