GliderCENTRAL

Rotten teeth are cause for weight loss :(

Posted By: Mandy

Rotten teeth are cause for weight loss :( - 06/24/19 05:15 PM

Update on my Benny I’m devastated
I posted yesterday about my Benny’s weight loss the last few months he is now down to 70 grams

Here is a quick update on my Benny who had lost weight. So took him to Blue Pearl Emergency Vet this moring in Tampa.

They did xrays to rule out heart disease and masses and all was ok. No Gardia, blood work will be back in 2 days but what they sadly did find is that his entire teeth are rotted down to the bone. Peridental gum disease frown he said sadly this is very common in gliders. he most likely isn't eating enough as he has been in pain and since this happens gradually the vet said is why i didnt notice it.

So when i get back from my 4 week trip he will most likely have to have all his rotten teeth removed frown until then he will be on emergency vet food and on pain meds. this breaks my heart he is about 9 years old.

Has anyone ever had to deal with this? I am heartbroken.
Posted By: Xeno

Re: Rotten teeth are cause for weight loss :( - 06/24/19 07:00 PM

Not your fault and focus on the positive. Now that you know the problem (that you had no realistic way of finding out before) you can act to help him and he can be happier and healthier.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Rotten teeth are cause for weight loss :( - 06/25/19 12:38 AM

Once he heals up he should do very well without his teeth. They adapt very well. Just out of curiosity what diet have you been feeding?
Posted By: Mandy

Re: Rotten teeth are cause for weight loss :( - 06/25/19 02:28 AM

The blended glider diet for most of his live . And fruits and veggies and just recently switched to hpw from critter USA
Posted By: Feather

Re: Rotten teeth are cause for weight loss :( - 06/26/19 01:02 AM

Once he heals up from the extractions he should be able to eat regular fruits and vegetables.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL