GliderCENTRAL

Tail biting glider

Posted By: Cooky_luvs

Tail biting glider - 10/25/19 05:21 AM

Hello everyone. This forum was recommended to me so I figured i’d post my issue here to get some opinions.. On 09/14 I adopted two sister female gliders to house with my two existing females.

All are 9 months to 1 year old. The two new ones came from a group of 4 so I thought this arrangement would work. Anyway I kept them separate and did pouch swapping for about two weeks and then started doing group tent time. Hazel did show the most aggression but since she didn’t ball up I put them together after two weeks. Looking back I probably put them together too soon. Everything I read made it sound like if they didn’t ball up and fight they’d be good though.

They all seemed to be getting along great. Little squabbles with crabbing here and there but nothing major. On Oct 11 I found one of my original gliders Snowy with a horrible tail injury. I didn’t know if another glider did it so I only separated the injured girl. She ended up needing a partial tail amputation. Then on the 19th I woke up and caught Hazel in the act of biting her sister Luna’s tail. Luckily she didn’t need an amputation but the tip of her tail did fall off, about an inch. Luna didn’t even fight back during the act but tried to get away but Hazel practically was dragging her by the tail. It was so sad to see. It was weird because it didn’t seem aggressive, more like compulsive.

So since then Hazel has been by herself because I don’t feel I can trust her with the others after two injuries. Well now she is grooming her fur off and I am scared that she will do worse, bite her own tail off or toes etc. i’m sure the grooming is from depression due to now being alone but something had to be bothering her before also for her to be so aggressive. I’ve had several suggestions to get Hazel a neutered male friend. Is that a good idea? I am pretty scared she’d injure a male too. I am lost on how to help her. Has anyone had a similar situation and if so what worked? I’m worried for poor Hazel. I hate seeing her depressed and lonely but can’t risk my other girls getting more injuries.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Tail biting glider - 10/25/19 11:42 AM

Hi and :welcomegc: wave

I haven't had personal experience with this, but I have a few questions that may help ones who have had experience. Some may sound irrelevant.

1. Does each cage have a glider safe wheel?

2. What diet are they on?

3. Is Hazel one of the new gliders or one of your original pair?

4. How many sleeping pouches are there per cage?

5. What are the sizes of your cages?

6. Have you started bonding with any of these gliders, if so, have their personalities changed?

7. Have you spent any tent time with any of the gliders singly?

8. How close are the glider cages to each other?

Please read this article : http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthr...roduce-gliders-to-each-other#Post1407885

We aren't here to judge, just suggest how to help you and your gliders have a long and happy relationship.

Oh, and I forgot to ask what are the names of all the gliders. Group them together starting with your original pair, and the new pair please. It helps me ask more questions.

Posted By: Cooky_luvs

Re: Tail biting glider - 10/25/19 12:28 PM

The cage is 51.2 inches tall, 30.3 wide. 2 wheels, 3 large pouches and lots of toys and hiding spots. They have two freedom wheels and they are on BML diet.

Hazel is one of the new gliders and Luna is her sister. They came from TPG In Houston. My OG gliders are Snowy and Nori, i’ve had them since February from a local breeder. I am bonded with the first two and somewhat bonded with the new ones. The two new girls and very sweet to humans, especially Luna. Hazel is standoffish but she never bites and tolerates me but you can tell she doesn’t like me yet 🤣 i’ve had tent time with Hazel alone but the others are always together. Now that Hazel is separated her cage is about 8 inches away.

I wanted to add i’ve been observing everyone close and I see my Nori chases Luna sometimes and they both crab but never goes beyond that but it for me thinking maybe that’s what stressed Hazel our. Nori’s behavior. I did try putting Luna and Hazel back together once Luna’s tail healed but it’s like Hazel can’t leave her tail alone and will follow her around the cage wanting to mess with her tail but they don’t fight. Hazel will like force Luna to let her groom and Luna will just sit there or walk around.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Tail biting glider - 10/28/19 03:47 AM

Sounds like Hazel is trying to be the dominant glider in the group.

If they are somewhat amicable, continue to swap pouches and try to do tent time with all of them. When Hazel goes to try and do tails distract her.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL