GliderCENTRAL

HELP... my suggie is sick.

Posted By: ichabodandRoux

HELP... my suggie is sick. - 10/30/19 04:23 PM

Hello all,

It has been a long time since I posted... but I am desperate for some advice...

So I just returned from my vet with Marty McFly (9 years old)... the doc. prescribed, antibiotic, a special food mix with b vitamins, perdisone (not sure if I am spelling that right--steroids)....

Yesterday Marty was acting really off... he wouldn't eat, seemed dehydrated, and kept circling his cage, quite unbalanced as well... I knew I needed to take him to a vet immediately, so this morning, I called out of work and went to our vet. She was very knowledgeable, and preformed routine tests, checking temp. (which was a little low), mouth exam, and physical exam.... She hydrated him, gave him all three medicines she sent me home with (antibiotic, special food, and steroid) and sent me home to continue with medicine... If he gets worse she wants me to take him back for x-rays and blood work.

This all sounds reasonable right? I am freaking out, he hasn't improved... still going around his cage... seems lost... I separated him from his brother too, since my vet told me to monitor his food, and bowel movements.. so he is now in our travel cage with as many things as I could find that had his scent on it...

I dunno.. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I am doing all I can...

-Cristy.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: HELP... my suggie is sick. - 10/30/19 04:49 PM

Hi Cristy -

Question on this before going further. What diet do you feed your gliders?

Re: HELP... my suggie is sick. - 10/30/19 05:01 PM

HPW plus.

Re: HELP... my suggie is sick. - 10/30/19 05:13 PM

I would urge you to take a look at some other diet options. That said, dehydration is a symptom of something else. If it were me, I would have had xrays done, to rule out any tumors of any sort, as the circling on the cage and balance issues, are possible indicators of a neuro issue.

Re: HELP... my suggie is sick. - 10/30/19 05:18 PM

Is there a diet that you recommend over HPW?

Re: HELP... my suggie is sick. - 10/30/19 05:37 PM

I can tell you that I have personally been feeding GOHPW now (this is NOT the same as what you're feeding now) for years, but it's up to you to make an informed choice on diet smile.
Posted By: Feather

Re: HELP... my suggie is sick. - 10/30/19 09:19 PM

Are you feeding Critterlove Plus or the stuff from Exotic Nutrition?

What did the vet say?

Your glider is geriatric, I would continue with medications and push fluids. I would also move him to an incubator to keep him warm and limit movement.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL