GliderCENTRAL

Average weight for male and female gliders?

Posted By: Ruckus_N_Mayhem

Average weight for male and female gliders? - 03/22/20 08:53 PM

Does anybody know the average weight for male and female gliders?

I have a leucistic female around 15 months old and a 10 year old male. I'm not sure what the male is. He looks like a standard classic gray. But. Not really sure. He was a rescue so I was never told what he is.

My male is looking really thin, to thin actually!

I'm afraid he's underweight.

He has a vet appt in the morning just wondering about the weight so I can start keeping up with it?

Attached picture IMG_20200312_063725528~2.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20200315_185722842~3.jpg
Posted By: BYK_Chainsaw

Re: Average weight for male and female gliders? - 03/23/20 12:27 AM

I think the white one even looks thin compared to my fatties.
different websites say slightly different weights but its usually

adult male 100 grams to 160 grams
adult female 80 grams to 130 grams.

my males are all about in that weight window, my 3 females are the fat ones.
I got a scale at store for about $20 to check the weight.

there are plenty of treats to fatten up a glider, yogurt drops, dried mealworms, live mealworms.
even pet store bought dried plain papaya bits with NO sugar added has a good amount of natural sugar
and the vet told us not to overdue those treats.
The best thing is a good healthy diet and a few treats once in awhile.

Re: Average weight for male and female gliders? - 03/23/20 12:42 AM

I just recently got them both about 2 weeks ago for the female and almost 3 weeks ago with the male. Give or take a few days.

The male wasn't on a proper diet before I got him. He had a bald spot from being depressed and so pitiful.

Female was previously on TPG diet.

The female is just stretched out in this pic prolly makes her look thinner but she could still use a lil more weight on her but she is healthy. She is still young also and very active.

My male like I said is way older so he's active usually but not as active as her. I weighted him today and he only weighs 70g. He is nothing but skin and bones. Just so fragile.

Since I got them I've had them on the TPG diet and they both seem to love it. Unfortunately I don't think my male is feeling well and doesn't seem to be eating a whole lot this last few days (why we are going to the vet first thing in the am) but I also feed them dried papaya and pineapple, yoggies, mealies and another lil treat can't think of what it's called right off the top of my head. (Suggie safe I promise) and of course a few other things here and there like fruits and veggies. I always change it up with the treats usually. Mealworms are the only thing the get on a consistent basis.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Average weight for male and female gliders? - 03/23/20 03:49 AM

I hope it goes well at the vet tomorrow. Please keep us posted.

Prayers for both of you! hug2

Re: Average weight for male and female gliders? - 03/23/20 04:46 AM

Thanks you!! 😊

Hey off subject question.... Is there a certain type of bottle anybody would reccomend. Doesn't seem like mine are getting enough water. They have a bowel and I bought a bottle but seems like the ball is to hard to push for them maybe? Not really sure it just doesn't seem to be working right. I got a small one for small pets but they seem to have problems getting water out of it
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Average weight for male and female gliders? - 03/23/20 11:50 AM

I use this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Pack-Wild-Harvest-Bird-Tube-Feeder-for-Water-or-Food/817527175

It's a silo. My littlest never took to a water bottle.

I also offer a shallow dish of water that I clean and refill daily. They will wash their face in it as well as food sometimes.
Posted By: BYK_Chainsaw

Re: Average weight for male and female gliders? - 03/23/20 04:53 PM

i have 2 silos and several bottles.
Also gliders don't drink to much water, they get liquid from the food.
the gliders do seem to favor one bottle over the others, could be the no drip ball they dont like.
I have read silos are also safer, just make sure the one you buy will fit the cage bars.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Average weight for male and female gliders? - 03/23/20 05:35 PM

I have noticed the gliders that have come in to my rescue that are on TPG are smaller.

I feed Critterlove Plus with the recommended salad mixtures. You can learn more here:https://www.critterlove.com/

I recommend that diet to everyone of my adopters.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL