GliderCENTRAL

Is this an eye abscess? ?

Posted By: glider323

Is this an eye abscess? ? - 05/14/20 03:59 AM

I have had my two girls since they were 8 weeks OOP. Cloud has always had a little bit of an issue with her inner eyelid, like I can see it when she wakes up but it usually retracts after she blinks a couple of times. I have heard that it can be caused by dehydration but they have access to both a hanging bowl of water and a water bottle with a sip tube (like what a hamster would have)

Is it possible her eyelid being unable to retract is due to an eye abscess? It usually goes away after she blinks a couple of times but as she's gotten older it's gotten bigger. Here's a picture:
[img]https://imgur.com/a/U2eDUd1[/img]

I am really concerned that this could be an abscess, that she's in pain or that I should take her to the vet right away. It looks really bad in the picture but this is just after she's woken up -- after she blinked a couple times this went away completely. What should I do?

Re: Is this an eye abscess? ? - 05/14/20 04:01 AM

She is acting completely normal but I know they have instincts as a prey animal to hide when they're in pain or sick. She also seems to be totally able to use the eye and open it fully.

Re: Is this an eye abscess? ? - 05/14/20 04:05 AM

Also, I know swelling/bumps are a sign of an abscess, but I checked her face and mouth area and couldn't find anything. Am I just being paranoid? Does anyone else have a glider where their eyelid takes a minute to slide back? Sorry for triple posting
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Is this an eye abscess? ? - 05/14/20 05:28 AM

Is it the inner eyelid, is there a discharge? The pic is difficult to see.

Re: Is this an eye abscess? ? - 05/14/20 07:20 AM

No, no discharge at all. Yeah, it's the inner eyelid
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Is this an eye abscess? ? - 05/14/20 01:26 PM

How old are they now?

I've not had experience with this, just trying to give some ideas. Cover a few basics.

As the eyelid retracts, it pull off the eye slightly? Or does it just slowly go back in place?

To check for hydration, have you done a tent test? Where you pick up the skin on the back of the neck, pull up and release, if the skin doesn't drop, she could be dehydrated.

Is the water bowl replaced/cleaned daily? Mine prefer a water dish, it's like they wash their mouth and face in it. It gets dirty every night.

It never hurts to take them in for a well check, and get a baseline for future reference. Especially to watch for any changes.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Is this an eye abscess? ? - 05/14/20 02:10 PM

Dawn is right about a vet visit, specially something involving an eye.

Re: Is this an eye abscess? ? - 05/14/20 04:33 PM

Yeah, I think I will take her for a visit just to avoid the stress. But no, she doesn't show any other signs of dehydration
© 2021 GliderCENTRAL