GliderCENTRAL

Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous?

Posted By: WintersSong

Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/17/11 03:05 AM

I don't use jingle bells myself, and won't buy (or make) any toy with them.

I do, however, know a fair amount of glider owners that have used jingle bells on their toys (and in their cages) for years. These people have never had a problem.

I looked and looked, but couldn't find one incident of a glider actually being injured by a jingle bell.

So--
has a glider ever been hurt by a jingle bell, or are we just assuming that they're unsafe?

Regardless of the answer, I still won't be using jingle bells, but I'm very curious to see what you have to say.
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/17/11 04:19 AM

I won't near chance it.. I know people who ahve used them as well. When I buy new feather teasers, I nip the bell of those as well.

I have not heard of any injuries caused by them either, but to play it safe, I stay away.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/17/11 07:27 AM

I let the gliders have em on toys only, but I'm VERY diligent in checking toys and bedding multiple times per day.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/17/11 12:41 PM

Agree that I haven't heard of injuries but I won't chance it, either, supervised or not. The little holes in those jingle bells are not only small but can be sharp, as well. If one of them got their little finger in there then jumped quickly away, I'd be concerned with a quick slice of a finger. Just not something I'm comfortable with. dunno
Posted By: Trigger

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/17/11 02:14 PM

I haven't used them, but that doesn't mean I never would. I have NEVER seen nor heard of any injury from them and do personally know a vendor/friend who has used them for years and never a minutes problem.

I think LOTS of times things that were deemed unsafe came about as a "this could somehow hurt gliders I THINK" and instantly it was a taboo item.

There is always a possibility of a glider being hurt by anything we put in a cage with them, including their cage mates.

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/17/11 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Trigger
I haven't used them, but that doesn't mean I never would. I have NEVER seen nor heard of any injury from them and do personally know a vendor/friend who has used them for years and never a minutes problem.

I think LOTS of times things that were deemed unsafe came about as a "this could somehow hurt gliders I THINK" and instantly it was a taboo item.

There is always a possibility of a glider being hurt by anything we put in a cage with them, including their cage mates.

What a GREAT way to put things into perspective. It's so very true! ANYTHING we put around our gliders, including their cagemates and the cage itself are potentially hazardous.
I don't mean to put a burning candle in there with them because, well hey.. ALL things have a potential to be hazardous.

I think having this forum here to share stories is helpful in others deciding just what risks they're willing to take. smile
Posted By: dizzyblue

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/17/11 07:13 PM

The only thing that concerns me is the cuts on the bottom of the bells. However thats the only thing I could think of. Have you seen the little liberty bell things??

So i'm an assumer on the jingle bells danger.

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/17/11 07:25 PM

Maybe I'm missing something but looking at the bells I see no cuts, rough/sharp edges, etc. It's all very smooth. dunno

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/17/11 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: DCMuffin
Agree that I haven't heard of injuries but I won't chance it, either, supervised or not. The little holes in those jingle bells are not only small but can be sharp, as well. If one of them got their little finger in there then jumped quickly away, I'd be concerned with a quick slice of a finger. Just not something I'm comfortable with. dunno

100% agree

Most of the jingle bells have small open spots that can be rough and sharp. To each their own but certainly not worth the risk for my gliders.

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/17/11 09:03 PM

My fear is a toe getting caught since most jingle bells have a similar pattern on the bottom that narrows as you can see in this picture. What would happen if a glider got a toe caught in that? Loss of circulation, cuts, tears, possible SM. Not gonna chance it here!

Posted By: WintersSong

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/17/11 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Trigger

Well put, Jennifer.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/18/11 12:04 AM

There have been many many stories of birds loosing toes in jingle bells. I chose to learn by the mistakes of others (I don't have time to make them ALL myself!)

I have found some cat toys with plastic jingle bells. I might use those.

The metal acts like a razor.
Posted By: tlkngfethrs1

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/18/11 12:49 AM

I have never used them with My gliders and flat out will not...
due to I have been cut by one myself when making things with them..

and
Quote:
I have found some cat toys with plastic jingle bells. I might use those.

I would not use them either, they are made on the same line as the cat nip toys!!
NOW.... if I could find them in a craft store, I might be willing to check them close
and then see if it would be a safe enough item to use..
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/18/11 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: ValkyrieMome
There have been many many stories of birds loosing toes in jingle bells. I chose to learn by the mistakes of others (I don't have time to make them ALL myself!)
The metal acts like a razor.

agree
Posted By: BindiAndScrubbie

Re: Jingle Bells -- are they really dangerous? - 04/18/11 03:25 AM

I will use the small plasic balls with a jingle bell INSIDE of it...but not straight up jingle bells. (In my own cage) I've never had a problem other than the bells eventually rusting but that's true with any metal.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL