GliderCENTRAL

peacock feathers in cage

Posted By: uhoh

peacock feathers in cage - 05/01/06 09:01 PM

Why is it unsafe to put feathers in a cage? I've seen especially about peacock feathers that they are for out of cage time. It is not posted in the unsafe toy list though. Can smaller feathers be left in cage for a toy? and does it matter if they chew on the quill?
Thanks!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: peacock feathers in cage - 05/01/06 09:10 PM

Although feathers are a favorite toy, they can be a chocking hazard if left unsupervised. If you watch how they play with a feather you will see that they pounce on it and bite and rip at them. This is why it's only recommended to use them during play time.
Posted By: Xglider

Re: peacock feathers in cage - 05/01/06 09:46 PM

They do love feathers… I made the mistake of leaving the teaser lay onto of the cage one night… it was pucked clean… and I was stressed checking my suggies, the cage, every so often just to make sure they are OK…
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: peacock feathers in cage - 05/02/06 12:49 AM

The bigger issue about peacock feathers is how LONG they are. And if you have the WRONG type of exercise wheel (one that has a center axle), you can end up with the feather wrapped around the axle & your suggie's tail wrapped up in it, too! Tails are a whole lot more fragile than you think...many little vertabrae-type bones under the fur & all.
Posted By: uhoh

Re: peacock feathers in cage - 05/02/06 02:01 AM

so is it bad for them to chew on the quill?
Posted By: SweetestShampoo

Re: peacock feathers in cage - 05/04/06 07:29 AM

I only let Ringo play with peacock feathers while supervised. Regular feathers is no problem though, she's not a chewer at all, so I feel comfortable leaving the weebles in her cage each night.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL