GliderCENTRAL

Are denim pouches safe for chewers?

Posted By: Anonymous

Are denim pouches safe for chewers? - 12/17/10 03:01 AM

One of my gliders suddenly decided to start chewing holes in his pouches so I made them a nesting box. I could hear him trying to eat the nesting box, which is ok I guess cuz he wasn't getting very far lol but the problem with the nesting box is that one of them decided to start peeing in there. This is completely odd behavior for them and totally unsanitary. So I made them 2 pouches tonight with fleece on the outside and denim on the inside. I read about this here on GC and I would just like to be assured that this is safe. Will he be able to chew through this? I'm really hoping that they'll be happy with their pouches again that they will stop peeing where they sleep.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Are denim pouches safe for chewers? - 12/17/10 03:25 AM

Denise...there is something to be said for the denim pouches. I don't know what it is, but they tend to deter chewing. Talk with Teresa (Dancing) about these for chewers, she'll be a good resource for you! I know she makes these pouches...denim on the inside and fleece on the outside. Then I think she adds several fleece blankies for them to curl up in!

Re: Are denim pouches safe for chewers? - 12/17/10 03:52 AM

YES they are safe if made properly. Dancing is THE BEST and can explain the little details of sewing denim better than I could. Now, like any pouch, you still have to check them daily for wear and tear and if they did chew you would have to replace that just like all fleece pouches.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Are denim pouches safe for chewers? - 12/17/10 04:10 AM

With denim, you HAVE to finish the seams on the inside or they will unravel. Just using pinking shears is NOT enough. This is where the danger is with non fleece pouches. If sewn properly, they are safe. Also, like said, make sure you use lots of fleece blankets for them to dig through.

Re: Are denim pouches safe for chewers? - 12/17/10 04:50 AM

I did not sew the seams on the inside, but I did zig zag and also a couple of straight, small stitches, hoping that would prevent loose threads. Thank you so much for the tip. I will do that ASAP and I do have the pouch stuffed with little fleece blankets to cuddle and dig through. Thanks everyone for the help!

Re: Are denim pouches safe for chewers? - 12/17/10 05:25 AM

Denise, do a really nice TIGHT zigzap that catches the cut edges of the denim before you make it into a pouch. That will prevent the fraying between the layers when you wash them thumb
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Are denim pouches safe for chewers? - 12/17/10 05:37 AM

The type of zig zag stitching that needs to be done is all the way around the cut edges of the denim BEFORE you sew them together.

Attached is a drawing of what I'm talking about. By going OVER the edge of the denim, the thread sucks back in creating a binding for the edges.

Attached picture zig zag stitching for denim.JPG

Re: Are denim pouches safe for chewers? - 12/17/10 09:00 PM

I wish I would have known to do that before I made these 2 pouches. Well at least now I know better and I'm so glad I asked. Thanks for telling me this. I will have to make more pouches or tear these down and re-do them. Thanks again for the advice
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL