GliderCENTRAL

Wheel Comparison

Posted By: HagridsHut

Wheel Comparison - 01/26/11 06:29 PM

I can't seem to decide between the Stealth, TGI, or Custom Cruiser. confused ...opinions, please?

More specifically, what are the differences between these 3 wheels? Pros and cons from folks who have had first hand experience with one or more would be greatly appreciated!

thanks -Alicia
Posted By: anw22

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/26/11 06:44 PM

i have the stealth wheel

i dont like how it attaches to the cage. it is difficult for me to do it myself. i can manage but i dont think it is easy to do personally

other than that i like it: its pretty quiet(excet my boys pounce around on it and that gets rather annoying lol) and i think it is easy to clean without having to totally remove it (i wipe it down and then every 2 weeks remove it to soak it)

i dont have any experience with the other 2 but the custom cruiser sounds really neat
Posted By: xoerikae

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/26/11 06:48 PM

i've had the stealth "economy wheel", which is a bit smaller and less expensive than the original stealth. it's a good wheel, but it's taken quite a beating and doesn't look quite as nice anymore.
the cruiser, while awesome, was difficult to fit through the cage door. it doesnt seem to look as bad, despite chewers, but we didnt have to take apart the base because it was so big and so loud - we built our own "side mount" and i love it smile
either one is good, really, it just depends on what youre looking for.
Posted By: anw22

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/26/11 07:43 PM

oops dont know how that doubled posted
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/26/11 08:05 PM

I have a stealth also. I didnt like the side mount either. Ended up buying the stand for it, but my one gorl gets it bouncing so much I was afraid the other glider in the cage would get her feet or tails squished, so I zip tied it to the floor of the cage.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/27/11 03:38 AM

The main features of the TGI wheel are:

Removable Bearing System
The bearing system is completely removable for cleaning. This allows you to completely submerge the wheel and stand in water for easy cleaning. By not getting the bearing system wet, the bearing should last a long time and not rust.

Seamless Track
There is not a connector piece holding it together. So, there isn't a piece for the gliders to chew, or for "stuff" to get stuck in.

TGI wheels are smooth moving, and are a quiet wheel.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/27/11 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: xoerikae
i've had the stealth "economy wheel", which is a bit smaller and less expensive than the original stealth. it's a good wheel, but it's taken quite a beating and doesn't look quite as nice anymore.
the cruiser, while awesome, was difficult to fit through the cage door. it doesnt seem to look as bad, despite chewers, but we didnt have to take apart the base because it was so big and so loud - we built our own "side mount" and i love it smile
either one is good, really, it just depends on what youre looking for.

Your CC made noise???? I've never heard mine. Weird.

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/27/11 06:37 AM

I have a TGI wheel and I'm very happy with it. It's quiet, very easy to clean, and my suggie loves it. I never had the Stealth or CC so I can't tell the difference, but I'm more than satisfied with my TGI. thumb

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/28/11 08:57 PM

Bump!

So, it appears that all 3 have ample pros clap, but the Stealth is difficult to clean and the CC's size may be of concern. ...anything else? ...any cons for TGI? thanks
Posted By: Trigger

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/28/11 09:15 PM

I have stealths, whirl(cheaper stealth), custom cruisers, standard and modified wodents and the mesh small animal wheels.

The ONLY wheel I have evr found difficult to clean is the original wodents.
The custom cruisers are customizable so you can have a smaller wheel which makes it no more difficult to fit in than a stealth.

Remove the bearing assembly to avoid rust??? My stealths and cruisers have NON-removable assemblies and have NEVER rusted. I am totally confused by the need for this or the rusting?
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/28/11 09:20 PM

Wait..the Stealth is difficult to clean? Huh, I missed this. I don't find mine to be difficult at all...my dishwasher does all the work!!!!

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/28/11 09:28 PM

Sorry, guys! I received a multitude of pm's regarding the care/maintenance of the Stealth, but apparently forgot that you didn't read them! DUH! shakehead

So, the Stealth is NOT difficult to clean? I prefer to remove the entire wheel from the cage each week for a complete scrub down, but was told that the Stealth can't be dis- and/or re-assembled. Is that not true?

Aimee- Do you just throw the whole thing in the dishwasher?

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/28/11 09:33 PM

If I have room in the dishwasher, I throw it in! Otherwise, I scrub it in the sink but I haven't found it to be difficult at ALL! The monkeys LOVE it...they are SO happy with the two that we have in the cage for them. The Trim Trax is awesome, it's durable and lasts a long time and the overall quality of the wheels is great!

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/28/11 09:38 PM

WAIT! Don't start in on the Trim Trax, yet!! That's my NEXT post!

So, you DON'T disassemble it, but you DO either scrub it by hand or run it through the dishwasher? Yes?

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/29/11 06:22 AM

The Stealth doesn't need to be dissassmebled to clean, but the gasket that holds the front on can occasionally loosen and the front come off. There have been a few different posts about it, I don't think it's a *huge big deal* but rather a reminder to always check everything in your cages on a daily basis.
Posted By: Bozeman

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/29/11 07:13 AM

Originally Posted By: DCMuffin
Wait..the Stealth is difficult to clean? Huh, I missed this. I don't find mine to be difficult at all...my dishwasher does all the work!!!!

Originally Posted By: HagridsHut
Aimee- Do you just throw the whole thing in the dishwasher?

Originally Posted By: DCMuffin
If I have room in the dishwasher, I throw it in!

Sorry to say, but while the dishwasher does a GREAT job of cleaning our 4 Stealth wheels, it caused the ball bearing assembly to rust. So bad that the one wheel refuses to turn! And the others are not far behind... Needless to say that the Stealths will not see the inside of the dishwasher again!

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/29/11 02:45 PM

Huh...I've been putting mine in for a long time and there's no a single bit of rust. dunno

As far as handwashing...yes, I just wash it and scrub it without taking the Trim Trax off - it cleans up nicely!
Posted By: xoerikae

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/29/11 03:08 PM

Quote:

let me clarify. my gliders were running the wheel from one side of the cage to the other. it was loud because it wasnt secured anywhere.
i didnt like the idea of ziptying it to the bottom, as i wouldnt be able to use the grate, or the top, as that just worried me. so my bf took the old stand off, and built a "side mount" one, and we love it - and no appa ana dmomo SHARE the wheel, instead of appa hogging it all the time, lol. don't ask me what caused THAT change tounge

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/29/11 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: xoerikae
Quote:

let me clarify. my gliders were running the wheel from one side of the cage to the other. it was loud because it wasnt secured anywhere.
i didnt like the idea of ziptying it to the bottom, as i wouldnt be able to use the grate, or the top, as that just worried me. so my bf took the old stand off, and built a "side mount" one, and we love it - and no appa ana dmomo SHARE the wheel, instead of appa hogging it all the time, lol. don't ask me what caused THAT change tounge

Oh! Ok. I have my custom-built cage so my wheel just sits on the floor and I have fleece down so it doesn't "walk" around.

Re: Wheel Comparison - 01/30/11 11:23 PM

I think that all of these wheels are pretty good. I have the Wodent Wheel, and it is really good too.

Re: Wheel Comparison - 02/02/11 08:21 PM

I just wanted to mention that I had a few questions regarding the Custom Cruiser and decided to take them directly to the source. I had a fabulous conversation with Bourbon earlier this afternoon. I just wanted everyone to know how appreciative I am/was that she took the time ( and a LOT of it, I might add! ) to answer all of my questions, and to give me both the pros AND cons of her exercise wheel. thanks , Bourbon! It was much appreciated it! -Alicia
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL