GliderCENTRAL

Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels

Posted By: sphynxie

Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 05:19 AM

So I used to have hedgies and I used these wheels for them. I was wondering for the special needs gliders who can't use mesh if it would work? I had zero issues with the wheels and bought right from this person. Anyone? I guess there are 2 types now.

http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.com/the-carolina-storm-wheel.html

http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.com/carolina-storm-bucket-wheel.html
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 05:24 AM

Says the site isn't published... dunno

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 05:30 AM

Weird let me look I was just looking at it. I had a random letter at the end of the link sorry. it is fixed.

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 05:36 AM

I know these are not made with gliders in mind, and I gave mine away with the hedgie (allergic for some weird reason) so I cannot remember much about it, but was just curious as I have not seen it on here.

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 05:40 AM

It's hard to say. I know a lot of issues with wheels consists of the bearings. Maybe somebody else has a better eye for that stuff than me. I don't feel comfortable saying one way or the other.

ANYBODY!?

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 05:46 AM

I don't know either but thought I would throw it out there, you never know. I know the bearing is made from a roller blade wheel. I know it is really easy to take a part and clean. Hedgies wouldn't be getting up behind by the bearing like a glider would. I wish I still had it so I could look at it closer.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 10:02 AM

Does the track have some sort of grip to it? It's hard to see from the picture. dunno From the photo is looks kind of safe, just not sure if the smooth/glossy track would make it harder for them to use.

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 03:10 PM

No it is completely smooth. It has "tilt" to it so you can angle it if they have a hard time. It is literally made with what I belive is large cake tupperware. The top part that goes over the top of the cake. It is not flimsy though, at least 3 years ago.

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 04:48 PM

I'm NOT an expert either, but looks safe to me and I would use under supervision. That Hedgie running in it is Hilarious, he's really "going"!!!!! smile
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 05:09 PM

My concern would be the bearings, since I can't get a good look at it. Also, in the directions, it states, please do not get the rollerblade wheel bearings wet while cleaning. That would be a problem for me, since I clean my wheels in the shower and suggies ARE gonna pee on those bearings. They can climb up to them, whereas that wouldn't be a concern with hedgies. I think those bearings are open and accessible to suggies, which would not be a good thing.

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 05:53 PM

I washed mine in the tub all the time. Ya, that was my thought too the bearings is a spot where I see my gliders sitting often.

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 07:12 PM

I have a wheel like that from my hedgie who passed away. I cleaned it up and my little ones have a blast on it.. I use it during bathroom time
It is smooth on the inside, but i tilted it up and my little ones just have a good old time on it

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 08:11 PM

thanks
Posted By: IslandGliders

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/24/11 10:18 PM

I "aaawhed" out loud at those pics! I have major hedgie love... hope to have one if they ever make them legal in Maine!
Posted By: StitchsMom

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/25/11 03:57 AM

I brought this up a few years ago. I think the general opinion was to stick to sugar glider specific wheels for gliders. The smooth surface just wouldn't work too well for our little guys overall. I did use mine during tent time for awhile, but only the larger/heavier gliders could really turn it. I prefer sticking a custom cruiser in there with them now. wink
Posted By: angelic4296

Re: Cake Topper/Bucket Wheels - 04/28/11 03:45 PM

I have to agree with Jenny, in my opinion, that surface is too smooth and slick for gliders to be able to move it well...even with it tilted....it just looks a bit too heavy to really get a good pace going on it. ....maybe just sticking with glider safe wheels will be easier for you....
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL