GliderCENTRAL

Update on alternative to pin in Wodent Wheel

Posted By: Anonymous

Update on alternative to pin in Wodent Wheel - 10/23/06 12:42 AM

Hi all. I posted a while back about how it seemed that Kirby and Tanooki managed to scratch up their patagiums on the pin in their Wodent Wheel.

Lisa from Suncoast (who is WONDERFUL) suggested that I try a bobby pin since the ends are rubberized. I tried this but unfortunately the standard size bobby pin was too long and the angle that it was at made it bend so that whenever the gliders ran in the wheel, it made a very loud SCRAAAAAAPEing noise. Ugh frown

I had also previously tried to put on plastic backs to earrings to try to cover up the pin, but those disappeared and then I was all worried that they had eaten them!

Finally the solution I have now is I have a safety pin through the center of the wheel. I was worried about the safety pin coming undone and scratching somebody up, so I have a small piece of duct tape firmly around the safety pin head so that it cannot come undone (and no loose duct tape for anyone to get stuck in). I check the pin every day to make sure no sharp pin ends or duct tape is exposed.

So far this has been working well but I am not sure if this is safer or more dangerous than the original pin setup. I would love some input. thanks
Posted By: morksmom

Re: Update on alternative to pin in Wodent Wheel - 10/23/06 01:27 AM

I dont know if this would be safe but what if you used a hot glue gun and covered the end so it wouldnt scrape and you could pull it off when you needed to clean. It may be a hazard not sure. Maybe someone will come along with more experience.Just a thought.

Re: Update on alternative to pin in Wodent Wheel - 10/23/06 01:28 AM

yeah, the hot glue would be a hazard. Id try something else but imnot sure what ......
Posted By: wfryatt

Re: Update on alternative to pin in Wodent Wheel - 10/23/06 03:28 AM

Hmmm... How about a paperclip or a small (2"-3")zip tie? Either should work as a replacement to the standard cotter pin that is used to hold the wodentwheel in place.

Just my 2 cents...

Re: Update on alternative to pin in Wodent Wheel - 10/23/06 03:36 AM

I've used a zip tie for quite awhile and haven't had any trouble. thumb

Re: Update on alternative to pin in Wodent Wheel - 10/23/06 04:16 AM

I've always used bread ties; just wrap around until there's nothing left.

Bill

Re: Update on alternative to pin in Wodent Wheel - 10/23/06 10:31 PM

Ooh, the zip tie sounds great...but how do you cut it off when it's time for cleaning if you have it zipped up really tight? Do you use a knife?
Posted By: wfryatt

Re: Update on alternative to pin in Wodent Wheel - 10/24/06 12:53 AM

Wire Cutter, Nail Clippers, Utility Knife...

Originally Posted By: 7glider7
Ooh, the zip tie sounds great...but how do you cut it off when it's time for cleaning if you have it zipped up really tight? Do you use a knife?
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL