GliderCENTRAL

Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics!

Posted By: Anonymous

Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/06/08 11:29 PM

My Review on the Custom Cruiser Wheel:
(Also avaiable with pictures and a video on my website)
As many of you know, there is a new wheel in town. I got my Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel yesterday. It must have come while I was at IKEA getting a few little things, because when I came home, there was a big ol' box on the porch.

Earlier in the day I had spoken to Bourbon (one of the creators of this fabulous wheel) about the wheel and she suggested a few changes that I should make to ensure safety, as there have been changes in the wheel since she shipped it. I had compared it to the Stealth Wheel and Bourbon commented that I would probably change my mind and think it was much different than the stealth when I got it.

...Bourbon was RIGHT!!! This thing is REALLY different! When I opened up the package and I pulled out the wheel I noticed that the wheel is really wide (because I got the wide track option.) Its stand is also alot taller (another option I chose), which creates some awesome bounce! (But you can make it bouncier as ANOTHER option!!) I feel like the wheel joint is safer as well. It's covered and doesn't have moving parts exposed at all.

I put it in the Reptarium with Rodan last night and he was really checking it out. He climbed down the side of the reptarium and stuck out his hands. He grabbed onto the side of it and WHOOP! down he went. You could see on his face, "Oh! It's a WHEEL!" and then he was ready to play. He jumped on the top, he ran upside down on the outside, he spun around on the inside. All of it was a new kind of fun for him. He loves the bounce, the stability and by the way he ran ALL NIGHT, I'm guessing he just loves everything about it.

I could talk all day about this wheel because it's AWESOME.

You can buy yours here:

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/06/08 11:57 PM

So - is there any sort of nail trimmer available for it yet (since I'm assuming the trim trax is for the stealth only)?

Looks pretty great (except TGI says it's unavailable).
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/06/08 11:57 PM

that looks really neat. i have a flex wheel in one of my cages that has the bounce to it and one of the gliders in that cage hates it with a passion, lol
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/07/08 12:01 AM

Cool! Thank yor for posting this. I was just about to order 4 new stelths, but maybe I will try this new wheel. Anyone know when it will be available?

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/07/08 01:00 AM

I made a post here: http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/629767#Post629767

Maybe we'll hear back on it soon. smile

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/07/08 01:54 AM

Looks like a keeper...interested in a compatible nail trimmer, too!!

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/07/08 11:46 PM

UPDATE: Just wanted to let everyone know that I spoke with Bourbon again today, and she says that she's trying to catch up on wheel orders right now. Also, she's been making some improvements to them, so if you can wait, you'll get an even BETTER wheel! jump How awesome is that?!

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/08/08 12:59 AM

wow Amanda.....thank you so much for taking the time to make that video....that was great!!

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/08/08 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: GoGoGliders
wow Amanda.....thank you so much for taking the time to make that video....that was great!!
thumb It's not a great video by any means, but it does show what the wheel looks like from all angles and even how it spins. That's all I really wanted to acomplish. smile I'm glad it was helpful!
Posted By: Their_mommy

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/08/08 02:18 AM

Great video Amanda. I to would like to see a toenail trimmer incorporated into it. Looks great and fun to.
So will watch for the trimmer before considering purchasing one.
Thanks for taking the time to video it.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/08/08 03:01 AM

If you buy the open track option, would the TrimTrax from the Stealth Wheel work? You order those separately.
Posted By: Trigger

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/08/08 03:33 AM

I love it. I am even more excited now that I have seen your video. B called today and checked to see if mine were here yet. Not yet *pouts*

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/08/08 03:43 AM

Just out of curiosity did you leave the other wheels in with your gliders to compare what they like best?

I was planning to leave both mine in for a couple weeks just to see which they migrate to most often.

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/08/08 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Trigger
Just out of curiosity did you leave the other wheels in with your gliders to compare what they like best?

I was planning to leave both mine in for a couple weeks just to see which they migrate to most often.

Well, Rodan completely ignored the wodent when I put the cruiser in, so I now have taken the wodent out. smile He's MUCH quieter now. He's never had a stealth or anything other than the Wodent, so he was pretty enthralled.

I haven't tried it on one of my Stealth crews yet though. I'm probably going to swap it into Bird's cage this week and see what he thinks.

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/08/08 08:40 PM

2 of my wheels made it today, YAY!!! So far I love it. It is not huge, but is plenty big for two of my gliders to run side by side.
I can't wait till my guys are up tonight. I will update on them and their new wheels after they check them out and give the yay or nay.
I will leave the wodents in for a couple weeks to see what my gliders seem to like best. Just for my own personal comparison.
Posted By: vagraphix

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/08/08 09:22 PM

I got my wheel on friday but because of Hanna didn't get out to get the stuff for the modification until yesterday. I didn't stay up late enough to see thier reaction but they were having a good time on it this morning. So it's a hit at my house too! danceI thought it was pretty big, but Bourbon did call and tell me how big it was going to be. I have the tall flight cages from bird.com and had to maneuver it inside and then set it on the stand.

Attached picture wheel1.jpg
Attached picture wheel2.jpg

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/09/08 02:01 AM

Got 2 of my wheels put in today and so far the are a huge hit with my crew. They are running, jumping running outside and one running while the other hangs on to the rim. TOO FUN!!!
So far nobody has even touched their WW, but there is a brand new toy so I'll leave it for a couple weeks at least and see if they still prefer the CC.

Well I'm off still grilling and have to sew tonight. Will try to get pics up tommorow.

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/09/08 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: vagraphix
I got my wheel on friday but because of Hanna didn't get out to get the stuff for the modification until yesterday. I didn't stay up late enough to see thier reaction but they were having a good time on it this morning. So it's a hit at my house too! danceI thought it was pretty big, but Bourbon did call and tell me how big it was going to be. I have the tall flight cages from bird.com and had to maneuver it inside and then set it on the stand.

I peeked in on them last night a few times and when I got up this morning and they had that wheel a flyin! I have to peek because if they see me they jump to the cage door hoping for a treat. cloud9
Posted By: KimeyDiann

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/09/08 12:38 PM

I am definately buying new wheels soon, and I really like the looks of the cruiser.

I was looking at the website though, and I'm wondering, what is the difference between the "Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel" and the "Therapeutic Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel?"

The Therapeutic is $10 more and has less customizable options... so what is different about it?
Posted By: SariYappa

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/09/08 12:59 PM

I believe I read that the therapeutic one has therapeutic magnets... someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks Amanda, and the rest who posted they got their wheels, THANK YOU! It's great you could give us your unbiased opinions. Reveiws are wonderful from actual users!
(Amanda, your video is awesome, does the trick!) smile

Well, from the looks of things, they will be busy making these bad boys for a long time! LOL
Posted By: Kiiru

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/09/08 02:08 PM

Woah! That does have a lot of bounce. heart I bet my kids would have a ton of fun with it...after I get a new cage. It looks like it takes up a lot of room and I can't attach wheels to the bottom of my cage...too afraid of it breaking the bars. You should see the ferocious runner I have! If that thing wasn't tied down, I bet she'd find a way to topple it. frown
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/09/08 02:28 PM

The 'Therapeutic' Wheel is designed for gliders who are dealing with specific physical and psychological issues. I will be writing up a descriptive report about the magnets and what effects this will have on your gliders.
If your interested in learning more, or have questions please don't hesitate to PM, email, or call me.

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/09/08 08:44 PM

I got mine yesterday and WOW!!! I love it but I think my fuzzies love it more. I put it in with them and it took them a minute to figure things out. Holly was the first to figure out how to get inside, too bad Buddy was on the outside when she did...LOL!!! He hung on for dear life and then started running...under the wheel, while she was running in the wheel. The track is plenty big enough for those "fluffy" gliders too. Holly is pregnant and Buddy is gaining weight with her, just like a good man, and they fit just fine next to each other. They prefer one on the inside and one on the outside though. Anyways, my babies played all night on it and then into the morning hours too!! It's a big hit, and now I have to get another one for the other cage.

Thanks TGI!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/10/08 11:45 PM

thanks so much for thre review. lookslike i may be ordering a pair when i get my new cage!

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/12/08 01:42 PM

Mine are always in that cruiser wheel! They get that thing going really fast
Posted By: edward

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/12/08 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: BuddyHolly
I put it in with them and it took them a minute to figure things out.
Being relatively new to gliders, hope you dont mind me asking..
when you put them in it, is this during the daylight hours or do you stay up til they come out at night?
I'm not sure if I should or can get them up during the day...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
Posted By: edward

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/12/08 01:58 PM

Do their feet get caught in the mesh? I guess there's differeing opinions as I know one thing I read was that mesh can be an issue, so I replaced my mesh track with a solid (wodent)
Thanks
Originally Posted By: Amanda1981
My Review on the Custom Cruiser Wheel:
(Also avaiable with pictures and a video on my website)
As many of you know, there is a new wheel in town. I got my Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel yesterday. It must have come while I was at IKEA getting a few little things, because when I came home, there was a big ol' box on the porch.

Earlier in the day I had spoken to Bourbon (one of the creators of this fabulous wheel) about the wheel and she suggested a few changes that I should make to ensure safety, as there have been changes in the wheel since she shipped it. I had compared it to the Stealth Wheel and Bourbon commented that I would probably change my mind and think it was much different than the stealth when I got it.

...Bourbon was RIGHT!!! This thing is REALLY different! When I opened up the package and I pulled out the wheel I noticed that the wheel is really wide (because I got the wide track option.) Its stand is also alot taller (another option I chose), which creates some awesome bounce! (But you can make it bouncier as ANOTHER option!!) I feel like the wheel joint is safer as well. It's covered and doesn't have moving parts exposed at all.

I put it in the Reptarium with Rodan last night and he was really checking it out. He climbed down the side of the reptarium and stuck out his hands. He grabbed onto the side of it and WHOOP! down he went. You could see on his face, "Oh! It's a WHEEL!" and then he was ready to play. He jumped on the top, he ran upside down on the outside, he spun around on the inside. All of it was a new kind of fun for him. He loves the bounce, the stability and by the way he ran ALL NIGHT, I'm guessing he just loves everything about it.

I could talk all day about this wheel because it's AWESOME.

You can buy yours here:

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/12/08 02:03 PM

I got the coated wire option and there is no way for feet to get caught in it. The openings are small.

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/12/08 02:31 PM

I got the coated wire option and there is no way for feet to get caught in it. The openings are small.
How are they liking the coated wire!? I'm currious how that one works because I think that'll be what I get for my hefty little girls.

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/12/08 03:25 PM

The coated wire is nice, it's much better quality than what was on the prototype at the SGGA.

The holes are much smaller than the holes in the plastic mesh (probably about half the size).

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/12/08 03:33 PM

I have not had any problem with the 1/2" plastic hardware cloth track, my next wheel will have the 1/4" coated wire and then I'll decide what I like better for my 4th wheel.

My crew have fallen in love with these wheels, they hop, jump and hang on the outside. They are having a blast!

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/12/08 04:14 PM

That's about what I'm going to do. I'm testing both tracks and then seeing what they like. smile

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/12/08 05:56 PM

Was there ever information on whether trim trax will fit on the new wheel and if not, if there will be a nail trimmer of some sort coming out for it eventually?

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/12/08 07:31 PM

I will try to answer for you - The Trimtrax should fit as long as you use the plastic mesh option. I think the holes on the wire mesh may be too small for the hardware on the Trimtrax, but you could always get smaller hardware...

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/12/08 11:10 PM

How are they liking the coated wire!? I'm currious how that one works because I think that'll be what I get for my hefty little girls.

they love it. i got it with the bouncy option for the babies, 3 & 7 months and they are on it all the time!

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/12/08 11:47 PM

Great news!!!!!!!! I had a couple of brand new packs of trimtrax that I just recently got and they attached perfectly to my custom cruiser with the coated wire!! dance dance dance dance

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/13/08 12:16 AM

OH cool I wanted to get some or make some for my wheels and glad to hear they work!
Posted By: Sabrina

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/13/08 01:37 AM

That's pretty awesome! Thanks for making the video, Amanda. This is totally off topic, but you have the coolest accent ever! I'm so jealous!

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/13/08 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Sabrina
That's pretty awesome! Thanks for making the video, Amanda. This is totally off topic, but you have the coolest accent ever! I'm so jealous!
roflmao I always forget I have an accent because people have finally stopped telling me I have one. When I moved up to Ohio 2 years ago, everyone was all over it. I'm just a Texan. I wouldn't change it if I could. grin

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/13/08 06:36 PM

roflmao I always forget I have an accent because people have finally stopped telling me I have one. When I moved up to Ohio 2 years ago, everyone was all over it. I'm just a Texan. I wouldn't change it if I could. grin

I had to go back and play the video again to hear the accent and I just can't hear one, Amanda sounds just like everyone else here in Virginia, so maybe we have accents and don't know it..........................
Posted By: Sabrina

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/14/08 12:46 AM

I had to go back and play the video again to hear the accent and I just can't hear one, Amanda sounds just like everyone else here in Virginia, so maybe we have accents and don't know it..........................

That's true. I guess it depends on what part of the country you're living in. Over here, it's an accent, but if I were in Virginia, I'd probably have the accent. Either way, it still sounds pretty cool to me!

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/24/08 02:59 PM

Question for you all that have the cruiser wheel.

Mine was squeeking quite a bit last night and wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

I have cleaned it once. Sprayed it with cleaner in the bathtub, wiped it down and then rinsed and let air dry.
Posted By: fox0r

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/24/08 03:17 PM

Ooh, these are nifty. How much are they? And does anyone have any idea when they will be available again?

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/24/08 03:18 PM

Hmm, mine doesn't squeak, but I haven't done a thourough washing yet. I did talk to Bourbon at length about this though because when she showed me the prototype, I asked her if she could make it dishwasher safe, because I'm the type that uses machines for everything. When she sent me my wheel, she called me & said that the bearing was sealed & that I could, in fact, put it in the dishwasher. I would call her and ask where the squeeking could be coming from. I spoke to her last night & she did just change the bearing assembly so that it sits farther down in the well, but that was for different reasons. Really the best way to find out is to speak with her personally thumb

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/24/08 03:36 PM

is it a grinding or a squeeking noise? I had a grinding noise, but I took the metal thing off the back, unscrewed it one little notch and it quit. smile I also greased it up REALLY good while I was in there with veg oil. thumb

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/24/08 04:40 PM

it's kind of a squeeking/grinding noise. I will have to take it out when I get home from work and look at the back of it.

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/24/08 08:37 PM

it seems to be rubbing on the back

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/25/08 01:31 AM

Ok, it is probably tightened too far - if you take out the metal plug on the back of the bearing assembly, there is a nut. Hopefully you got one of the ones after they started using the lock nuts. If you didn't, this may be a good opportunity to replace your regular nut with a lock nut. Use a 1/2 inch socket & just back the nut off a hair (careful not to loosen it too much). Test spin the wheel before you put your plug back in.

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/25/08 11:39 AM

how do you get the plug out?

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/25/08 11:43 AM

use a butter knfe or something similar to pry it out...

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 09/25/08 11:46 AM

ok will try that when I get off work, thanks

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 10/14/08 03:37 AM

How can I order one? They look like fun.

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 10/28/08 02:12 AM

My last box finally made it and my new CC with the wire track is here. I think it looks great but I got the track too wide and can't get it in my cage??? Will have hubby take it apart to get it in.
Here are some pics of the new wheel.
Front view
Closeup front
Back view
Coseup back
Wire track
Closeup wire track

I think the wire looks better than the plastic does and seems sturdier as well. I am worried about my guys chewing the coating off, they like to chew up everything. We will see how it stands up to my crew.

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 10/28/08 02:16 AM

Let us know! I'm getting a new one that's with the wire VERY soon, so I'll probably be doing another review on it. smile I can't WAIT!
Posted By: tbull

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 10/28/08 03:47 AM

It all depends on how tall and wide your cage door is. The track is in the groove VERY tightly, so it will be really hard to take it apart and put it back together inside the cage.

My first CC has a 7 inch wide track and with the back bearing assembly I didn't think I could get it thru my 12in door. But with some tipping and pushing it did go thru. Once I got it in the first time, I had no problem moving it to different cages.

If your door opens up and down, take one side off the hooks, so that the door opens side to side, like a house door. Then make sure the base goes in first, then push the wheel thru as far as it will go, then with some figgling and pushing on the front open part of the wheel, it will pop right thru.

I did get my other 9 with 6 inch tracks, so they go in easier.

I also tie a strip of fleece around the back of the stand onto the side of the cage and then use a baby link to hook the bottom of the stand to the bottom grate of the wheel

Description: The cage door unhooked from the side, so it opens wider.
Attached picture cage door open from the side.jpg
Attached picture fleece holding back of stand.jpg

Description: ignore the messy stand and tray, last night we had fresh raspberries :-)
Attached picture baby link holding wheel stand in place.jpg

Description: Even an 8 week OOP joey can get the big bounce wheel going. He gets to the top then runs back and forth til it spins.
Attached picture Ayla boy figuring out the big boy wheel.jpg
Posted By: nancy1202

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 10/28/08 05:43 AM

Originally Posted By: tbull
The track is in the groove VERY tightly, so it will be really hard to take it apart and put it back together inside the cage.

There is a rubber gasket holding the track in place which can easily be removed by using a flathead screwdriver to raise it up in one spot, then just carefully pulling the rest of the gasket off. The front can then be removed, which may be just enough room to fit the wheel through the door. I used one of those roller tools for screen door repair to put it back in the groove. This may, or may not be easier than taking the cage apart... just another option! Bourbon walked me through this a while ago because I didn't want to risk ruining my wheel.

Originally Posted By: tbull
I also tie a strip of fleece around the back of the stand onto the side of the cage

thanks for the fleece idea to anchor the wheel to the cage - I like that better than daisy-chaining a few zip ties, trimming and sanding them down each time I clean the wheel.

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 10/30/08 05:16 PM

Is TGI ever coming back up? I'd really like to price out these wheels and more than likely order one, but ever since I heard about them the site has been "Under Construction".. if anyone involved with them has time you can send me a message, or just reply here, I am now watching this thread.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 10/30/08 05:42 PM

As far as I know right now you will need to send a PM to Bourbon to place your order.
TGI is no longer handling the Cruiser Wheel.

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 11/02/08 11:09 PM

how much are the cruiser and where do i go to order them? i want to get rid of my wodent wheel and i think my guys would love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: josefine

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 11/03/08 12:22 AM

tbull, i would say you are feeding your kids really well.
the bigger mess they make, in my opinion, the more they are eating, & like what they are eating!!!!!!!!
i, too, want to get one of these wheels from bourbon.
i owe her so much, she was one of many that helped me in keeping my little cosmos alive.
oh!, & by the way, everyone, he is @ 86 this a.m.!!!!!!!!
it took almost 2 months to to get him back up there, after getting down to 69 when he was on his meds, & so sick.
you should see him now, he is much bigger than on my avatar.
oh i just love em, & you guys too!!!!!
talk @ ya L8R
josefine

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 11/03/08 01:20 PM

FYI: I got a new cruiser wheel this weekend and... IT'S EVEN MORE AMAZING than the last one. omg... Oh, there will be pics!
Posted By: pebbles1975

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 11/03/08 01:29 PM

I got a semi bounce colony one and put it in the cage with the three I am babysitting and this morning they were all in it.
Posted By: pebbles1975

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 11/03/08 01:41 PM

I really need to get 2 full bounce regular size ones for each of my other two cages.

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 11/03/08 01:45 PM

jump jump jump Just wait til you see what Bourbon is making for my custom colony cage I'm building this weekend-gonna be a big part of their little 'glider paradise' jump jump jump
Posted By: josefine

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 11/07/08 08:28 PM

i wouild want to but a wheel.
i sent off an email to bourbon, but didn't know if that's how to do it, or order one here.
i don't care what color it is, i would want a bouncy one,
& i would want one that a 'nail o'matic' would fit into it.
i have to leave for work rite now, won't be home until after 9pm, will check my emails then.
thanx
talk@ ya L8R
josefine

Re: Cruiser Wheel - Review and Pics! - 11/07/08 08:35 PM

My 2 can't get the hang of it yet...
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL