GliderCENTRAL

Cage cleaning questions

Posted By: Anonymous

Cage cleaning questions - 10/21/10 07:54 PM

Hey, I was wondering how often I should clean my gliders cage. And what sort or cleaning products ate safe to use. And what do you guys use in your drop pan?? Changing recycled newspaper pellets every few days is awfully expensive. But paper towel and newspaper doesn't seem to absorb all that much. Thanks.
Posted By: GliderGrrrL

Re: Cage cleaning questions - 10/21/10 09:24 PM

I use the Wagner 905 steam cleaner to clean my cage once a week. I use newspaper is my drop plan and change it every other day, as needed. After I take the old papers out, I clean the drop pan with a cage cleaning spray from Walmart.
Posted By: smc629

Re: Cage cleaning questions - 10/22/10 12:48 AM

I clean my entire cage once a month. The toys get taken out one day, then a different day the entire cage gets hosed out. If you clean everything the same day the glider will try to mark everything and you will notice the smell instantly. For the drop pan I used to use carefresh bedding and that was getting expensive. Now I use cage liners which is a fabric that lays in the bottom of the cage and helps absorb odor. I shake the liner out once a week and throw them in the wash and dryer and they are like brand new. I spent $50 on 5 of them but when I compare that to the $25 I was spending on carefresh 2 times a month well they have paid for themselves!
Stephanie
Posted By: IslandGliders

Re: Cage cleaning questions - 10/22/10 12:58 AM

I use plain ol' newspaper in the drop pans and I honestly don't notice a smell from it until the 5-7 day mark. But my cage is very large so I think it has to do with there being more surface area for their waste to be spread across.

Lots of people here use unscented baby wipes to clean their cages. I will probably switch to those once I use up the special cleaner I got from SunCoast. If you use a glider kitchen, cages really aren't all that bad.

Re: Cage cleaning questions - 11/08/10 09:56 PM

Can you use the unscented baby wipes on plain wooden dowels too? That's what I have in my cage, and I can't figure out how to clean them.
Posted By: Heathr6913

Re: Cage cleaning questions - 11/09/10 02:06 AM

I think most people use a vinegar/water mixture to clean the wood. It helps disinfect and cut down on the smell.

Re: Cage cleaning questions - 11/09/10 04:55 AM

I just get out a big pot and make a vinegar/hot water solution to soak the wood in. If the perch is too long to fit in the pot I have to do it in two steps and get one side at a time... but it works great laugh
Posted By: ChrissysGliderz

Re: Cage cleaning questions - 11/09/10 02:11 PM

I am a huge fan of vinegar and hot water grin
Posted By: sharit

Re: Cage cleaning questions - 11/09/10 03:02 PM

i use liners that i ordered from janas suggie shoppe they are great shake them out and throw in washer. a wonderful product.
Posted By: anw22

Re: Cage cleaning questions - 11/09/10 03:42 PM

i dont put anything in the drop pan. i just clean it once a day(sometimes 2 days) and same thing goes for the grate above the drop pan. 2-3 times a week i wipe down the bars with baby wipes and every 2 weeks i wash all their fleece stuff.

Re: Cage cleaning questions - 11/10/10 05:15 AM

We just got done cleaning out the drop pan and grate, we have been doing it every other day. Bille lifts the cage and I slip the bottom out. We just put it in the tub and wash it out with hot water.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Cage cleaning questions - 11/10/10 06:46 AM

I use natures miracle cage wipes for the bars, twice a week.

plain packing paper sheets (got them very cheap on clearance and they are the perfect size!) in the tray, changing out twice a week and wiping with the wipes.

once every other month, whole cage gets hosed down outside.

toys and pouches get washed as needed. the boys are way messier and theirs get washed more often. except for the exercise wheels. they never seem to pee or poop in theirs, but the girl really mess theirs up! those get taken out as needed for washing too.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL