GliderCENTRAL

Cleaning with tea tree oil?

Posted By: SaraSmile

Cleaning with tea tree oil? - 02/27/11 02:18 PM

I clean everything with tea tree oil. It is an essential oil that is native to Australia. It is a natural antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral oil. I dilute it in water and clean things like the bathroom, kitchen and my yoga mat smile.

I was wondering if anyone cleans their cages with tea tree oil or has any information on why I shouldn't clean cages with it. I haven't done it yet, but I would like to because I hate using bleach (I don't believe in it), it's to harsh for me. I have purchased the cage and toy cleaner from Suncoast (I believe) but I prefer to use essentials oils and cleaning products I make myself (I'm weird like that).

Please let me know if you have any info or thoughts on this.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Cleaning with tea tree oil? - 02/27/11 05:21 PM

I have never thought of cleaning the cages with tea tree oil, and I can't tell you if it's safe. I do believe in tea tree oil, and think it's wonderful! I use tea tree oil for my dogs.

This is interesting, I would love to hear what others have to say.
Posted By: SugarCrazy

Re: Cleaning with tea tree oil? - 02/28/11 01:45 AM

I never thought of using it on the cage. But I do put it in the washer with their fleece cage pieces. It helps keep fleas away... I don't know about mites or anything else. As for the cage, I guess as long as you rinsed it good, there shouldn't be any reason not to use it.

Side note: We also put it in our human shampoo. My daughters have not gotten lice from school in 1 1/2 years (since we started using this).
Posted By: ssuver

Re: Cleaning with tea tree oil? - 02/28/11 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: SugarCrazy
We also put it in our human shampoo. My daughters have not gotten lice from school in 1 1/2 years (since we started using this).

That is a very good tip!
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: Cleaning with tea tree oil? - 02/28/11 07:11 AM

I just use vinegar and water. Works wonders and is a billion percent safe. thumb
Posted By: SaraSmile

Re: Cleaning with tea tree oil? - 02/28/11 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SugarCrazy
I never thought of using it on the cage. But I do put it in the washer with their fleece cage pieces. It helps keep fleas away... I don't know about mites or anything else. As for the cage, I guess as long as you rinsed it good, there shouldn't be any reason not to use it.

Side note: We also put it in our human shampoo. My daughters have not gotten lice from school in 1 1/2 years (since we started using this).

I never though to put it in the wash...what a good idea! How much do you add?

I put it in our shampoo as well because it also helps with dandruff which I get because of my disability and the really dry air here in the winter.
Posted By: SugarCrazy

Re: Cleaning with tea tree oil? - 02/28/11 04:27 PM

I put a dropper full in the wash water. The dropper I got from Walmart. The medicine droppers are too big to use in the bottle I get so you have to look for the smaller ones that are glass. I'm guessing that the amount I use is like 1/2 teaspoon per large load. I can smell the tea tree oil after the wash when the fleece is still wet but not after it dries. And the smell doesn't offend any of my fuzzies so I guess they don't mind it.

BTW: I put this in our clothes too. I figure no outside bugs will want to be on us either. But it doesn't work with mosquitos. cry They love my youngest daughter.
Posted By: lilangels

Re: Cleaning with tea tree oil? - 02/28/11 04:48 PM

I am so allergic to tea tree oil but I loved the idea of vinegar...I am going to start using that...will vinegar santize stuff too? Will washing things like their pouches in just vinegar be enough to have them really clean? Plus will the gliders be ok with the smell the vinegar leaves behind?
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL