GliderCENTRAL

Cannibalism babies

Posted By: Salome

Cannibalism babies - 01/27/15 09:21 PM

Why my male babies to eat?
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Cannibalism babies - 01/27/15 11:49 PM

There could be a number of reasons your male has cannibalized the joeys. It could be that there was something wrong with the joeys, and as in nature, they will "take care of things".

Diet is routinely blamed, and I'm sure can be a strong contributing factor, if not the cause in some cases. Unfortunately, I've heard of this with gliders on nearly every diet out there.

If this is the first time, then I wouldn't be overly concerned. But if this is a repeat issue, then I would suggest getting the male neutered and not allowing him to continue breeding.

Unfortunately, we rarely ever know the true cause for cannibalization.

Re: Cannibalism babies - 01/28/15 12:15 AM

Their diet is rich in protein, I give the Pet glider, plus a multivitavinico more bugs, but I'm also having problems because they have crystals in the urine, and I'm thinking of giving full HPW you think?
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Cannibalism babies - 01/28/15 12:37 AM

Sugar gliders do not require a high protein diet. I'm not sure what vitamins you are offering, but too much calcium can certainly cause crystals in the urine.

I can't say for sure that your chosen diet is in fact the cause of the issue, although we have been hearing quite a few issues with this particular diet lately (see more under the Diet & Nutrition section).

It is up to you whether you change your diet. If you are certain there could be no other issues, it certainly wouldn't hurt to change, but realize that if diet isn't the cause then you may continue having cannibalization issues.

Re: Cannibalism babies - 01/28/15 12:42 AM

I mean that cannibalism is not by diet, I want to change the problem of the crystals, I gave the glider booster multivitavinico is certainly no need to eat insects daily?
Posted By: StowawayGliders

Re: Cannibalism babies - 02/25/15 11:40 PM

I had to neuter a male because he cannabalized joeys. He was overgrooming one joey out of every litter and then he cannabalized one set, I let them try one more time and he did it again. So he was neutered. We feed GOHPW. I am not sure why but can only guess that he was done being a dad.
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: Cannibalism babies - 03/05/15 07:47 PM

salome,
if you are feeding the tpg diet, they have their own vitamins that you need to use with that diet. it is a special blend.

using other vitamins/minerals might be causing the crystals in the urine.
Posted By: CLo1227

Re: Cannibalism babies - 03/19/15 12:09 PM

Also, if you're feeding tpg diet and using their vitamins, you do not need to feed insects daily. As long as you follow the instructions to that staple, it is balanced. Using other vitamins or adding a ton of additional stuff could be causing the issue.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL