GliderCENTRAL

Was a new suggie owner for two.... Now I have four

Posted By: Leaannei

Was a new suggie owner for two.... Now I have four - 06/06/15 07:49 AM

I was once just reading all of the comments with two suggies that I had no idea how to take care of. Now i have two suggie parents with two suggie children. I am going to separate as soon as I can as they are two girls and two boys and I don't want to inbreed. I write this because this is the best site that I have found for my research. I have tried to be face book friends with some other orginazations but I have found the most useful information on glider central. Thank you all.... I could have not been a new glider mother and grandmother without all of you. I may have not asked questions but I found my answers through out the site.

Fred and Ethel 2014
Johnny and June 2015
Posted By: Leaannei

Re: Was a new suggie owner for two.... Now I have four - 06/06/15 07:51 AM

Lol I didn't realize that was my tag ha!
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Was a new suggie owner for two.... Now I have four - 06/06/15 11:50 AM

Congrats being a new grandparent! I too have found that some of the facebook sites have a tendancy to be a bit harsh with their answers and quite opinionated.

We are all here for the good of the glider, not to pass judgement.

Are you planning on keeping the babies? It would be a good idea to get your Daddy male neutered as soon as possible.

I'm not sure what age the baby needs to be before he needs to be done. If you plan on keeping them, separating isn't a good idea, since they are accustomed to being together. Plus Dad does help with giving Mom a break from the kids.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Was a new suggie owner for two.... Now I have four - 06/06/15 03:17 PM

Neutering Dad as soon as possible will not only allow you to keep all of the gliders together but may also slow down your population explosion.

The male joey should be neutered before he is 4 months (16 weeks) Out of Pouch.

Gliders often mate again VERY shortly after joeys come OOP so it is possible that you already have another set of joeys on the way. Neutering your male NOW is the best way to limit your glider colony numbers.

Just separating the two males and the two females (which cannot be done until the joeys are at least 8 to 10 weeks OOP) will not solve all your problems. If left intact the two males, even though they are father and son, are very likely to fight once the joey is mature because there are still females near by.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Was a new suggie owner for two.... Now I have four - 06/07/15 12:54 AM

Candy is right if you neuter the father and the son you can keep them all together as a nice colony.

You probably also have joeys on the way as most females will come back into heat the day the joeys come out of pouch.
Posted By: SuggieSamantha

Re: Was a new suggie owner for two.... Now I have four - 08/01/15 05:55 AM

I wouldn't iust separate them as soon as possible. Just like any other animal, separating early is not good for health or behavior. You can get both males neutered (the dad ASAP since the mom may already be pregnant again) and I would only seperate them while they are recovering from the surgery. Seperating them can likely make them lonely and the males will probably fight for breeding rights just having the females in the same house, even in another room. They have sensitive noses and can still smell the females in heat. Around 4 months seems to be the best time to neuter. You can discuss with your vet when they think is best but it's typically performed around 16 weeks. They don't usually mature until closer to 5-6 months so seperating before then is unnecessary and may cause stress on all of the gliders.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL