GliderCENTRAL

Oh this is going to be a rough 2 months...

Posted By: SuggieGirl16

Oh this is going to be a rough 2 months... - 07/30/15 06:26 PM

Oh boy I am in for a rough two months. So my gliders cage is in my bedroom (which is 100% glider proofed) and at night I always let them have free reign of the room and they are usually very good about keeping quiet. Sure once and a while you'll have a bark session or two, but always in moderation. Besides that it's just gliding and playing, which doesn't create enough noise to wake me up if I'm sleeping. HOWEVER, now that my girl is prego oh my goodness has she become a chatterbox. Singing all night long to her joey in her pouch. I've barely slept a wink in two days. And I absolutely will not move her cage out of my room and stop giving her free time at night as I know for a fact that would majorly stress her out. So I've been kicked to the couch! lol! That's the only way I can get any sleep. Oh well, I'm too excited about the joey to care right now, but I'm sure after about a week when my back starts to kill me from sleeping on supportless couch cushions I won't feel the same way haha. What we wouldn't do for our gliders, eh? smile
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Oh this is going to be a rough 2 months... - 07/31/15 05:18 AM

You might consider getting your gliders used to being in the cage at night BEFORE the joey comes OOP.

There is a risk that your gliders might leave a small joey somewhere in your room where you would not see it. If the parents did not go back to get the joey it might not survive the night.

Also after the joey is OOP and beginning to explore on its own it might get out of the cage and not be able to get back into the cage.

Gliders are like toddlers - they should always be supervised when out of the cage. There are too many places they can hide in an entire room and many hazards you may not be aware of until they get into trouble.

They can get INTO the box springs under your bed if there is even a small hole in the underside. They can get INTO dresser drawers through openings in the back or the underside of the dresser.

After the joeys are OOP, the gliders need to be comfortable being in their cage when you are not there AND AWAKE to supervise.

Re: Oh this is going to be a rough 2 months... - 07/31/15 02:54 PM

I definitely won't be letting them out of the cage at night when the joey(s) come OOP. I figured by then they'll be too busy with the joey(s) to really care. I just don't want to stress her out now while the joey(s) is in the pouch by changing her routine. I'm not worried about them being out in the room just because I have glider proofed that room from top to bottom since my female was a baby lol. But still of course not appropriate for joeys to be running around in. But you brought up a really good point, it is probably a good idea to start weaning her down right now. Maybe I'll try cutting it down to half of the night that they are out and then every other night and so on.

By the way, any ideas on if it is normal for her to already be singing so much? I mean not just once and awhile but all night long! It looks like she is comfortable and happy enough, she's been eating normally and playing. And maybe this is completely normal, but I just thought they usually sung to the joeys when they were OOP. Right now the joey(s) isn't even big enough to really be seen in her pouch, in fact I wouldn't know she had one in there if hadn't witnessed her give birth.

Re: Oh this is going to be a rough 2 months... - 07/31/15 03:05 PM

I am not sure what sound you are hearing as 'singing'.

It is usually a sound heard ONLY a few days before the joeys are about to come out of pouch and it really is not a pleasant happy sound - the mom gets very noisy and wiggles around as if she is uncomfortable when trying to encourage the joeys to detach from the nipple.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Oh this is going to be a rough 2 months... - 07/31/15 03:30 PM

Candy has given you some wonderful advice.

Without going into the tragic details of my own personal experience with letting my first glider have free range of the bedroom at night, just let me beg you to keep them safe in their cage at night.

You can have plenty of supervised out of cage time with them as Candy pointed out, and we will not be reading a post from you asking for advise on how to find them or even worse, replying to a post in Rainbow Memorials.

Re: Oh this is going to be a rough 2 months... - 07/31/15 03:34 PM

It isn't a really a happy noise, more like a Shhh Shhh Shhh continuously, but a little different, hard to describe. I did a little research and watched some videos of gliders singing and it sounds exactly like that except she isn't making any jerking movements like the gliders in the videos I've watched. Maybe she's just trying out the noise in preparation, lol. I definitely have never heard her do it before now.

Re: Oh this is going to be a rough 2 months... - 07/31/15 10:51 PM

If she is making a hissing sound - be observant about what she is actually doing when you hear the sound.

If your glider is hissing while peeing - it may be a sign of a Urinary Tract Infection. If it happens when the glider is trying to poop - it could mean that she is constipated.

BOTH situations may require a trip to the vet and if not resolved can become life threatening.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Oh this is going to be a rough 2 months... - 07/31/15 11:59 PM

:agreed:

Re: Oh this is going to be a rough 2 months... - 08/01/15 01:14 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will watch carefully tonight. She seemed to be just playing or hanging out on the side of the cage while she was doing it the past few nights. So far I haven't seen her do it while she was going to the bathroom, but I will keep a close eye on her. Thanks again for the help!

Oh and the Shhh noise sometimes has a little bark at the end of it, I forgot to mention that!

Re: Oh this is going to be a rough 2 months... - 08/01/15 07:42 PM

UPDATE: No she definitely isn't making the sound when she is using the bathroom. I think maybe, being a first time mom, she just isn't sure what sounds to use when? I just don't know, but I know she isn't in any pain or upset when she does it. Also, I am weaning both of them off of having free reign of the bedroom at night unsupervised (when I am sleeping). However, the good thing is (well for the gliders at least), I do have insomnia so they will still have plenty of time that they can be outside of the cage and be supervised.

P.S. In relation to another post, I also took my oil diffusers out of the room. I know for a fact they could not get into them or be harmed by them, but I don't want any fragrance to be bothersome, especially when my girl has a joey(s) IP.

Thanks for the help and advise everyone!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL