GliderCENTRAL

Second Baby at Different Stage of Development

Posted By: SuggieGirl16

Second Baby at Different Stage of Development - 09/06/15 11:23 PM

Question: Is it possible for a female glider to give birth to another baby while she currently has a joey in her pouch?

My female has had a joey in her pouch for almost 6 weeks now and just today while I was looking at her belly I noticed a pea size lump on the other side of her pouch. Is it possible that she had another joey?

P.S. My male was neutered a week ago.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Second Baby at Different Stage of Development - 09/07/15 12:00 AM

Yes it is possible. Gliders can also hold joeys in stasis for up to a year.

I neutered a male a few years ago and 6 months later mom dropped one in pouch again. I tease the vet about that all the time.
Posted By: SuggieGirl16

Re: Second Baby at Different Stage of Development - 09/07/15 12:06 AM

Oh wow! You learn something everyday. Looks like I might be expecting more joeys than I thought. Well I can't quite get enough of these little furballs so that might not be the worst thing in the world!

I had previously read that they could keep fertilized eggs in stasis in an article. That is just amazing! Gliders never cease to surprise me lol smile

Thanks for the reply!
Posted By: spiceglider

Re: Second Baby at Different Stage of Development - 09/16/15 04:14 PM

Gliders can get pregnant while they are nursing. My female was 4 weeks IP along by the time her oop joeys were 9 weeks. They can be in different stages of development at any oop or ip stage more or less.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL