GliderCENTRAL

Just bought a bonded pair, babies ip?

Posted By: LunaNMateysMom

Just bought a bonded pair, babies ip? - 11/10/17 01:16 AM

Ok so I just bought a pair of suggies today. When I picked them up the female was SOAKING wet from pouch to cloaca. I'm pretty sure that means she has a baby or two in pouch. Also she has mating wounds healing on the back of her neck. I'm really excited. Is there anything I can do to keep her stress free as she gets used to my home. I've had a breeding pair before when I was in my late teens early 20's but they never gave birth the day I picked them up before. Any advice?
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Just bought a bonded pair, babies ip? - 11/10/17 03:16 PM

! shock ! shock ! shock !
Talk about diving right back in!
! shock ! shock ! shock !

Good luck & I'm sure someone with more intel will be along soon to help you out.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Just bought a bonded pair, babies ip? - 11/10/17 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: LunaNMateysMom
Ok so I just bought a pair of suggies today. When I picked them up the female was SOAKING wet from pouch to cloaca. I'm pretty sure that means she has a baby or two in pouch. Also she has mating wounds healing on the back of her neck. I'm really excited. Is there anything I can do to keep her stress free as she gets used to my home. I've had a breeding pair before when I was in my late teens early 20's but they never gave birth the day I picked them up before. Any advice?

:welcomegc: My goodness, you could possibly have your hands full shortly, but oh what fun. It does sound like she could be pregnant, so only time will tell. With healing mating wounds, do you know if they were inflicted by the male you have (assuming you have the male)?

As for keeping her/them stress free, follow the bonding process as you would with any new glider/s giving them plenty of time to acclimate to their new surroundings.

Make sure you put them on a good well rounded diet so that she is getting all she needs for her and the joeys if she is indeed pregnant. Even if she isn't, a good diet is still most important.

Did you get any background on this pair? Is this male still intact?

Re: Just bought a bonded pair, babies ip? - 11/10/17 11:23 PM

KarenE yes I have the male. I have lineage on both. They are a non-related pair male is 10 months oop female is 13 months oop. Both classic grey. I do not intend to keep breeding but the male is intact at the moment. I plan to have him neutered as soon as I can without upsetting the mama. I feed BML with fruits veggies and either mealies or crickets. Is that still a recommended diet? Good news is that they are both super tame. They didn't even crab when going from travel cage to peruminant cage.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Just bought a bonded pair, babies ip? - 11/11/17 12:25 AM

He can be neutered any time as you can put him right back in with her.

Re: Just bought a bonded pair, babies ip? - 11/11/17 02:22 AM

Thank you. I wasn't sure. I don't want to stress out my Luna.
Posted By: Terry

Re: Just bought a bonded pair, babies ip? - 11/11/17 03:44 AM

:welcomegc: Congratulations!!!!
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Just bought a bonded pair, babies ip? - 11/11/17 06:20 PM

Feather is correct on the neutering. There isn't any reason he can't be neutered now and placed back with his female.

BML is a good diet. As for the mealies and crickets, please be careful where the crickets come from making sure they are from a reliable source.
© 2019 GliderCENTRAL