GliderCENTRAL

Hand raising Joey

Posted By: lacee

Hand raising Joey - 06/13/18 09:34 PM

I have a joey that was rejected 6/8/18. She was found at the bottom of the cage cold and her sibling was cannibalized. We think she was about 1 week oop at this time. I took "ranger" from the cage, warmed her up and gave her unflavored pedialite. She perked up and I decided to hand raise. I have been feeding her esbalic milk and pedialte mixed. She drinks it well from the syringe and eats typically between 1-1.5 cc at a time every 2-3 hours. She has lots of strength and energy but I am concerned that she isn't gaining much weight. She was 14.6 the day we discovered her and now she is 15.5. I am also concerned that today her stools are more loose. I wouldn't call it diarrhea yet but I don't want them to continue to be looser. Any suggestions? I took her to the only exotic vet around last Friday and they told me they didn't think she needed subq fluids and basically good luck. I thought about trying joey BML? I also question the actual age. She has teeth fully erupted and a hairy tail and belly. Any advice appreciated.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Hand raising Joey - 06/13/18 10:40 PM

Lacey, I'm trying to find someone to help you. Please check your PM's it will be a little envelope flashing at the top of the page in the menu
Posted By: lacee

Re: Hand raising Joey - 06/13/18 11:14 PM

Thank you! I didn't see a message other than the welcome message. I did cut down on the puppy milk and increased the Pedialyte due to his looser stools.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Hand raising Joey - 06/13/18 11:14 PM

Try this site: http://www.suzsugargliders.com/helpforrejectedjoeys.htm
Posted By: nancy1202

Re: Hand raising Joey - 06/13/18 11:35 PM

I sent you a PM. Click on the flashing envelope next to My Stuff above.

Re: Hand raising Joey - 06/13/18 11:40 PM

The puppy milk to Pedialyte ratio should be 1:3, so 1 teaspoon of the Esbilac powder to 1 Tablespoon of pedialyte. Add a few drops of infant gas drops to each batch of formula. Warm up the formula and the joey before feeding. Be sure to mix the powder well. I used a small container with a lid that I could shake. The formula is only good for one day, so make a fresh batch each morning.

Re: Hand raising Joey - 06/13/18 11:45 PM

Are you using the brand-name canned Esbilac powdered puppy milk and not the premixed stuff? It is expensive and runs about $26 a can. I haven't raised a joey in several years, but was able to get smaller amounts from my vet to keep in the freezer for emergencies. It has to be replaced at least annually if kept in an airtight container in the freezer.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Hand raising Joey - 06/14/18 12:23 AM

Thanks guys!!!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL