GliderCENTRAL

Considering Breeding - Looking for Advice

Posted By: Jodi

Considering Breeding - Looking for Advice - 08/23/18 10:58 AM

Hello all! I'm new here. I have 3 female sugar gliders currently. A classic grey, a mosaic, and a platinum mosaic. I really was looking for a leucistic, One person who had a leucistic that had just been sold, offered me the pair of parents. They are 4 years old. I have considered this for a few days now. So here's the question: What are the pros and cons of breeding sugar gliders? I breed parrots already and basically have a zoo at my house, however, I am super new to sugar gliders. I've only had my grey for about 6 weeks. She is about 14 weeks old now. The other two are between 12 and 14 weeks. We've had them for about 4 weeks now. I am considering purchasing the pair and would greatly appreciate any tips and advise you're willing to part with. Thanks!
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Considering Breeding - Looking for Advice - 08/23/18 04:13 PM

Welcome to GliderCENTRAL wave

Breeding sugar gliders is a very large undertaking especially in today's glider market when there are quite a few reputable breeders out there who have been in business for a very long time.

Before you decide this is what you want to do, I would suggest you read this article: Determining Genetic Compatibility in Sugar Gliders

There is much more involved than getting male/female gliders together to sell their offspring which you probably already know wink

The cons far outweigh the pros, so to start in our Archives I would suggest reading Breeding Basics . I'm sure you will notice the threads are from several years ago, however, these are the ones we feel still hold true today.

Others will probably come along with more to add.

Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Considering Breeding - Looking for Advice - 08/23/18 08:14 PM

Hi and :welcomegc: wave
I agree with Karen, and when buying a breeding pair, first will they come with lineage?

Have they been handled?

How often were they bred? How many Joeys has she had?

If you choose to go this route, consider the first Joey's out of pouch may not make it due to the stress of their environment change on the parents. It really depends on the gliders. A healthy diet is important too.

Lineage is very important to many buyers of unique colors.

Are you considering breeding the male to the ones you have already? Do they have lineage?

One other thing to consider is cages. Once Joey's are weaned, you will need a cage for female and one for male joeys.

Plus a cage for the breeding pair and the 3 girls you have already.

Then are you going to sell joeys? If so, a responsible breeder would set up a contract with the buyer and interview them to make sure they are going to a furever home.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Considering Breeding - Looking for Advice - 08/23/18 10:35 PM

You have been given great information. Take your time and study up. Breeding isn't something that should be rushed into.
Posted By: Jodi

Re: Considering Breeding - Looking for Advice - 08/27/18 03:38 PM

Thank you all for the advise. I did some more research. We have decided to go ahead and get the pair. They are lineaged with records going back at least 8 generations.

Attached picture Screenshot_20180827-103426.png
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL