GliderCENTRAL

Rejected Joey?

Posted By: Jarryl

Rejected Joey? - 05/05/20 02:29 PM

Hi guys I really need some advise here. I’m currently staying in a country where sugar gliders are not allowed therefore I am unable to seek medical help if anything happens to my babies.

Recently my girl gave birth to Two wonderful boys and they are currently 2week oop at this point. But just this morning I heard of the joeys crying at the bottom of the cage. I picked him up and place him back with his mother. As soon as I place him back Miko(joey’s mother) kept making noises which is quite similar to crabbing.

Went out to see what’s going on and I notice that Miko would not allow one of the Joey (possibly the one that is found at the bottom of cage) to feed. She would use her head to push his head out of her pouch and would be making noises if he attempts to try again. Do take note at this point one of the two joeys is feeding.

Are these signs of rejection ? And is there anything I can do? Due to COVID-19 most of the pet shops are close and I am unable to get puppy milk replacement and worst still I can’t bring my gliders to the vet. Please advise !
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Rejected Joey? - 05/05/20 07:45 PM

I am very sorry to hear about this little joey. What are you feeding the mom and dad?
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Rejected Joey? - 05/05/20 08:39 PM

If you can order some Critter Love Complete (there is a distributor in Japan) you can offer that. Sounds like the mom may have mastitis. If that is the case, she would need antibiotics to cure the infection. So unless you can get your hands on some Baytril or Doxicycline you may (or may not) lose her. I would NOT recommend allowing her to breed again.

Babies will need to be supplemented. What are you currently feeding? Sounds like if you can take over all the feedings, mom and dad my still care for the babies.

You can also go here: https://www.critterlove.com/pdf/__hand_raising_joeys.pdf
Posted By: Jarryl

Re: Rejected Joey? - 05/05/20 10:08 PM

I am feeding them HPW and some fruits + veges making sure that the CA:PH are kept to 2:1. For the babies I tried offering BML through a syringe but I am having difficulties in feeding it through a syringe. Thank you so much I will purchase it but I’m just afraid that the shipping might take too Long..
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Rejected Joey? - 05/05/20 10:21 PM

The HPW from Exotic Nutrition or the one from Critter Love?
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL