GliderCENTRAL

Glider of the Round Table

Posted By: Hutch

Glider of the Round Table - 01/12/16 04:08 PM

Howdy all! I figured I'd start a journal here about my joys, trials, milestones, & tribulations related to my four gliders. In effect, I this will be a continuation from my introduction here.

I thought I would post much sooner, but to be honest, I really didn't know what to post right away; it was all still so new. I didn't even intend on doing much with the furballs the first couple of nights... but I had only seen two stick their heads out by 2300 that first evening. I tried to look in the pouch, but Merlin would stretch himself across the top of the ball & crab, so I couldn't see anyone else. I ended up taking them into my entry bathroom (a VERY closet sized half-bath)and rolling the pouch back until the ball of fur rolled out. After checking to makes sure they seemed healthy, I figured they were already out, so I let them explore the bathroom a short while while I sat there watching. That has been repeated each evening since for about an hour or until they seem like they've had enough. Then, back to their cage & dinner is served!

Gwynevere is my little dare-devil adventurer. She has been the first out of the pouch, explores EVERYWHERE she can find a way to, climbs highest, jumps the farthest... & was the first to begin using me as her tree (night one!). She likes to team up with Merlin to see what trouble they can cause. Example: The second night they worked together to LIFT one of the food dishes out of its hooks & TOSS is half way across the cage. I was kind-of proud... & realized how much trouble I'm going to be in smile She's also my barker, but not every night (so far).

Merlin is my next most active. He is definitely the alpha of the pouch, climbing on top of the others or coming to check me out each bathroom time before the others even move (besides Gwyn, she's already off). First to crab or bear-up, though has already cut that out for the most part. I can count on him or Gwyn running around the cage after 2200, if not both. Last night he was wanting to nibble on me (not bite) but a quick 'tsssk' stopped that each time. Also likes climbing & jumping quite a bit, frequently trying to figure out how Gwyn got someplace. Likes climbing my head. shakehead

Arthur is my shy one. I'm pretty sure he'll be a cuddler once he's more comfortable with me. He's gone from hiding behind the toilet trying to keep out of sight, to hiding behind me (not touching), to hiding on or against me (but still out of sight). Last night he'd climb on me for a minute or two before moving around to hang off my belt behind my back. He's to a point that he won't not run, but instead hold still to allow me to pet him for a while, though looks scared while I do it (curls up in a small ball, tail wrapped about him & peaking out from under it). Makes popping noises constantly, much more than the others, even when being pet.

Morgana is my timid/scared one. She spends the least amount of time on me, runs from my hands it I try to give her a snack or pet, & won't go back in her pouch if I'm holding it (the other three will no problem). She will at least come near me now, as long as I'm not moving much. She'll climb on to me more frequently than Arthur, but she jumps off immediately. It's really hard to tell her from Merlin in the red light I use during bathroom time, but I think she's going to be a chewer. shock

All but Morgana will let me pick them up briefly. Gwyn will immediately jump from my hand to my torso, Merlin will jump on the closet object (or me if I'm closer), and Arthur will crawl up my arm then down my back. So far, I haven't been bitten (knock on wood). The one attempt was the first time I had them in individual bonding pouches, Merlin was getting really upset & crabbing; when I tried to pet him through the pouch's fabric, I could feel him trying. Both males were cabbing a lot that first time too. Since them, very little crabbing from any of them & only a few nibble attempts on fingers or toes from Merlin.

I'm started them on the SunCoast diet. I've been alternating fruits then veggies & rotating through a selection of proteins. They demolish mealies (any surprise there?) & love blue berries & apples. They cleaned out sweat peas, but didn't seem to care much for raspberries or canned crickets. The fuzzbutts really seem to like the Wholesome Balance cereal; they go to it & the water before their kitchen.

That's all for now. I'll some of the pictures I've taken when I get home or maybe tomorrow. Thanks all for reading & any advise you have.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/12/16 05:21 PM

Posted By: Emiller

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/12/16 08:03 PM

What a beautiful group you have! It's so fun to discover their personalities. It's amazing how different they can be. And I love their names!

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/12/16 10:28 PM

Thank you, Emily! I really appreciate your words smile

I had been running late this morning, so I hadn't been able to pull out their kitchen like I'd done every other morning. I was also very late getting home tonight (just one of those days), so I couldn't check it out until about an hour ago. One of the four cups I use to feed them was empty, but the other three seemed barely touched. Last night's food was canned grasshoppers and carrots. Maybe they just do not liked canned bugs?

They were already out of their pouch & running around the cage (at least until I opened the cage door) so no bathroom time tonight. I'm not feeling well anyways, but happy to see them out that early (2100-ish). Once the door was opened, Arthur, Morgana, & Gwynevere went to a high corner away from me. Merlin just kept sitting in one of the cereal bowls attached to the back of the cage watching me while chewing on some wholesome balance.

I pulled the kitchen out to clean it & the food bowls, then refill it. Tonight's menu is sweet peas, apple bits, a raspberry, & a dozen mealies each. All of those (besides the raspberries) have been popular, so I'll see what's left in the morning. I'm trying to figure out their tastes. When I feed them, I sort equal portions into each of the four bowls; I hope it provides a better chance for each to get what they need without risking them fighting over food.

This was the first night I didn't have food waiting for them before they left the pouch to play. It's really cute seeing three pairs of eyes peering over the edge of a hammock at your while placing their kitchen back in their cage. The fourth pair (guess who?) was still peering from one of the cereal bowls around the cage.

I kind-of miss that I won't play with them tonight, even if play is them just using me as a spring board to reach the window ledge, door handle, or toilet lid. How quickly we become enslaved. Oh, well, I need to get some sleep.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/13/16 08:16 PM

Well, it was a bit rougher tonight in our bathroom session.

It started out a little slow (they just wanted to stay piled together), but after I pulled out a feather teaser they became lively. All four were doing a lot of exploring & being less shy of me. Played with the teaser on & off, sometimes leading them around with it, sometimes playing tug'o'war. Eventually they seemed to get bored by it, so I put it up. Through out this, they were letting me pet them without fleeing, though it more that a single finger came at them they would jump away. Still, progress (or so I thought).

Shortly after I put the teaser away the nipping started... & biting! Most surprising to me was Gwynevere was doing most of it! I hadn't even really seen her chewing on things, much less chewing on me! The only one who didn't taste me or my clothing at some point tonight was Arthur. The other three (especially Gwyn) wanted to taste & chomp everything. Even 'tsssk' wasn't being very effecting like what stopped Merlin before.

Tried the teaser again at one point, but they only seemed half-hearted about it compared to before. I didn't give up & continued our playtime until they seemed like they were done with the bathroom like other nights. I didn't want them thinking munching=escape from strange moving tree-thing.

Even now, watching them in their cage, a couple furballs seem to be chewing on a lot of things that I hadn't seen (or maybe just noticed?) before. They're also pulling at the newspaper in the bottom, something else I hadn't seen before. They actually ate all their food last night & there was some cereal left when I tidied up their cage, so I don't think they should be hungrier than previous nights.

I'm not too frustrated, just a little disappointed. Guess I feel like I jinxed myself. I can't say I'm too surprised, I though things were going a little too well. Did the feather teaser just really rile them up?

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/14/16 08:18 PM

Well, I guess we're not having bathroom time tonight. Merlin & Gwyn came out of the pouch a little before 2000, the normal time I put in their food & take them out for play time. I was able to give each of them a treat by hand before they took it to an opposite corner from me to eat. Shortly after, Morgana made her appearance.

With that, I'm entertaining myself watching them play. Everyone but Arthur has found their way out to play & explore. They seem much more interested in chewing on everything around their cage then they have been in previous nights... which I guess it a continuation of yesterday. Is this a normal phase or are some just chewers?

Oh, right before I hit submit, Arthur decides to grace me with his presence... over an hour after the others. Lazy bum, LOL, does he think he's royalty or something? grin
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/14/16 08:40 PM

Love their names!

Do you have any reset toys? Stuff like easter eggs, a breath savers empty puck, tictac box, toothbrush cover, anything you can put a treat in? I made a treat cup out of rubber bracelt thread, milk caps and straws cut up. They love to forage. I also have a small play tire (dog chew toy) I hung on some braided fleece. Mine go for those before they do anything else.(except potty of course)

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/14/16 08:56 PM

Here is a pic I just took of my milkcap rest toy. It was my first one and it uses beads instead of straws as spacers.

Attached picture Milk caps and chew toy take 2.jpg

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/14/16 09:16 PM

Dawn,

Thank you smile I like your ideas! I would like to get/make more & your milk cap toy in the picture seems easy enough... going to need to start saving those grin

The only reset toys I have so far are about half a dozen monkeys from a Barrel of Monkeys & a ball pit that has about 100 fuzz balls. I also thread several pieces of cloth through the cage bars & the chain links around their cage. We actually have a bit of a competition going where Merlin & Gwyn see how fast they can get all of that to the cage floor & I see how much harder I can make it for them to accomplish, hehe.

About every other night I've hidden treats around the cage for them to try & find. I'm just about done with an icebreaker mint container that I plan to hide some treats in.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/16/16 08:03 PM

Just a general update & questions:

Their routine seems to have settled to Merlin & Gwyn making an appearance a little before 2100, Morgana coming out a little late (30-60 minutes), & finally Arthur moseying out closer to 2300. They seem to play fairly well into the night, though when I've woken up in the middle of the morning (0300-0400) its generally pretty quite. They must get up sometime again because I frequently see all four when I head to work around 0700. That's also about the time Gywn likes to bark on the mornings she chooses to serenade her cage mates. Usually weekends shakehead

Gwyn & Arthur will take treats from my hand in their cage or during playtime. Sometimes Merlin will during playtime, but not in the cage. Morgana is still nervous whenever my hands come near her, in the cage or out of it. I've tried using SunCoast's bonding potion, but I think that might be what was leading them to bite more. Gwyn still wants to chew on everything she can get her mouth around. She really is my little handful tounge It's also hilarious to watch them steal treats from eat other & how creative they get about it.

Their sleeping pouch is getting quite full. When I dumped them out for playtime, I found 2 large fleece squares, four little strips, the wicker from a treat-hide ball they tore apart, two pom-poms from their ball pit (pretty sure that was Morgana's contribution), & four annoyed looking fuzzbutts. :roflmao2:

They still seem to prefer their cereal over most the nightly fresh food I provide. Sugar peas, apples, blueberries, & mealworms seem to be the most popular offerings. They'll pick at & chew the other items, but not like those four foods. Even if I put yogurt on them. I hope that they'll become less picky. Anyone have suggestions to encourage them to eat a greater variety of fresh food or should I just keep offering & they'll adapt?

All of them are a lot more willing to crawl & jump on me during play time in the bathroom. They also seem more curious about me grin Arthur will let me pet him almost as much as I want, just as long as he's not on me. The rest will let me briefly pet them, but quickly move away. Progress! Still none will sit on me long, though they don't seem to mind curling up against me. I tried doing this in the afternoon when they'd be sleepier, but other than being less hyper, it seemed to go much like the late evening bathroom playtime. I'm guessing more pouch time to help or are they right on track?

Speaking of pouch time & play time, should I do some one-on-one time with each as well as in a group? When I've been wearing the pouches, they each go into their own, but I've always brought all four in to the bathroom. I'm wondering if sometimes focusing on just one might help them bond with me?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/17/16 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Hutch
Just a general update & questions:

Their routine seems to have settled to Merlin & Gwyn making an appearance a little before 2100, Morgana coming out a little late (30-60 minutes), & finally Arthur moseying out closer to 2300. They seem to play fairly well into the night, though when I've woken up in the middle of the morning (0300-0400) its generally pretty quite. They must get up sometime again because I frequently see all four when I head to work around 0700. That's also about the time Gywn likes to bark on the mornings she chooses to serenade her cage mates. Usually weekends shakehead

My gliders all get up at different times too.

Gwyn & Arthur will take treats from my hand in their cage or during playtime. Sometimes Merlin will during playtime, but not in the cage. Morgana is still nervous whenever my hands come near her, in the cage or out of it. I've tried using SunCoast's bonding potion, but I think that might be what was leading them to bite more. Gwyn still wants to chew on everything she can get her mouth around. She really is my little handful tounge It's also hilarious to watch them steal treats from eat other & how creative they get about it.

Scrap the bonding potion and wear little squares of fleece in your clothes during the day and put them in their sleeping pouch. It gives them your scent.

Their sleeping pouch is getting quite full. When I dumped them out for playtime, I found 2 large fleece squares, four little strips, the wicker from a treat-hide ball they tore apart, two pom-poms from their ball pit (pretty sure that was Morgana's contribution), & four annoyed looking fuzzbutts. :roflmao2:

Hey! They worked very hard to fill up their sleeping pouch. :rofl2: I dump my pouches back into their toy boxes every morning and they spend all night carrying it all back to the pouch.

They still seem to prefer their cereal over most the nightly fresh food I provide. Sugar peas, apples, blueberries, & mealworms seem to be the most popular offerings. They'll pick at & chew the other items, but not like those four foods. Even if I put yogurt on them. I hope that they'll become less picky. Anyone have suggestions to encourage them to eat a greater variety of fresh food or should I just keep offering & they'll adapt?

Keep offering the veggies and fruit. They will eventually start eating it.

All of them are a lot more willing to crawl & jump on me during play time in the bathroom. They also seem more curious about me grin Arthur will let me pet him almost as much as I want, just as long as he's not on me. The rest will let me briefly pet them, but quickly move away. Progress! Still none will sit on me long, though they don't seem to mind curling up against me. I tried doing this in the afternoon when they'd be sleepier, but other than being less hyper, it seemed to go much like the late evening bathroom playtime. I'm guessing more pouch time to help or are they right on track?

Speaking of pouch time & play time, should I do some one-on-one time with each as well as in a group? When I've been wearing the pouches, they each go into their own, but I've always brought all four in to the bathroom. I'm wondering if sometimes focusing on just one might help them bond with me?

I think you will find that they may play harder with their buddies in there with them, but there is no reason you can't do one on one time with them.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/17/16 10:29 PM

Dawn, I took an idea from your suggestions & wove a bunch of straws through their cage bars... they love it. The furballs will actually come over to watch me weave it, then immediately work together to try & undo it smile It's become a fun new game.

Kimberley, thank you for all your answers, they help me! I've worn some old t-shirts for a couple nights each then cut strips out of them, they seem to like to nest with them. I need to acquire more fleece squares frown The bonding potion was just to try to help with the hand-fear, but it just seems to make them hungry. I'm going to follow your advice & give up on it; I forget it most of the time as it is, probably confuses them.

On other notes, it turns out Gwyn isn't my only barker. I'd just gone upstairs to head for bed when I heard barking... I never hear it this early so, I went back downstairs to see what was up & Morgana was barking in sets of three. I tried talking to her a little bit (sometimes quiets Gwyn down), but she still kept at it. So I offered her a treat.

As normal, she didn't take it. Gwyn came over & snagged it after a moment. I tried to offer another since Morgana was still yapping, but Arthur came over, sniffed it, carefully used his paws to pull it from my fingers... then bit me before I could remove my fingers!! He startled me enough that I jerked away, scaring him in to dropping his treat. Merlin jumped on it, so I guess it didn't go to waste.

Arthur's solution to loosing the treat? He went to Gwyn & unceremoniously pulled hers from her paws. Boy, did I give him the right name tounge Poor Gwyn, she actually looked dejected! I offered her another that she took without hesitation then moved away from him. During this time Morgana stopped barking, so I just let her be.

Arthur is normally so quiet & passive, even with the other gliders. I was floored when I watched him just yank the treat from Gwyn. More than that, he's only once nibbled me & never an outright bite like that; no warning. I guess he's just in a mood tonight or something... or I hope that is all it is frown

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/18/16 08:43 AM

Man, noisiest night yet, they were actually managing to wake me! I frequently wake during the night on my own & occasionally hear them bark as I'm trying to go back to sleep; rare to wake to their barking. I didn't go down to check on them every time, but besides the time I mentioned last post, it was Gwyn when I did look.

I don't give them a treat every time I check on them, I'd say maybe half the time... it makes me feel like it was worth getting out of bed. I'm wondering if maybe that is too often & she thinks she's 'calling' for a treat? Or maybe she just likes that I talk at her for a few minutes. I'll have to give it a couple more nights to see if something was just going on that I couldn't tell. After all, Arthur wasn't acting his normal self either.

Then again, this is only the eleventh night I've had them... maybe this will be what's normal? Only time will reveal... & more sleep...

Merlin is freely taking treats through the bars from me now grin

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/18/16 09:35 PM

Gwynevere decided to be a little turd. She was on the rim of the sink near me & kept looking down trying to line up with my hand & arm that was resting on the floor under the sink. I figured she was setting up for a jump. Arthur took my attention for a moment when he crawled up on me, then I felt something warm & wet on my hand. I look back, Gwyn has turned around & is peeing on my hand! I knew she was going to be my handful! shakehead She tried to make up for it later by grooming my hair for me.

Near the end of the night, Morgana let me pet her for the first time as she curled up against Arthur... Morgana, who had been running at the mere thought of my hands!! :yes:

A little after that, I tried to cuddle Arthur in a piece of fleece against my chest. I gently cupped him in both hands until he stopped squirming, then removed my top hand so he could decide if he wanted to stay. He waited a couple moments, stuck his head out for a few pets, them crawled to my shoulder. He stayed there while before crawling down my back to his usual perch behind me.

I tried the same process with Morgana since she was acting tired while Gwyn/Merlin were still going strong. Like Arthur, when I removed my top hand, she stuck her head out & I gave her a couple pets. Unlike Arthur, she pulled her head back in & went to sleep curled up in my hand with the fleece!! cloud9

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/20/16 09:25 PM

Well, tonight was a bit of a learning experience.

Lesson 1: Even with the wide door, my cage it pretty hard to wipe down... two main doors would've been much better. Maybe then I wouldn't have found out...

Lesson 2: My gliders hate the sound of paper crumpling. I accidentally bumped their pouch waking them when I went to slide their freshly lined try back in. The paper then snagged & they exploded from their pouch at the sound. If I stopped moving it or trying to unsnag it, they stopped & stared. Once I resumed, they started leaping around the cage faster than I could track... Including one right out the door past my face, leading to...

Lesson 3: Gwyn trusts me enough to stay on me when scared... however, not enough she'll come to me or let me pick her up when scared. I had to slowly follow her around until she got someplace where I could control her exit. Towels would not work, she scurried to fast. I eventually figure out that when I got my hands surrounding her, she'd jump to me & stay there, which is when I discovered...

Lesson 4: Once a scared glider finds someplace she feels safe, she does NOT want to leave come hell or high waters... even for the comfort of her cage & colony. It took me a little over an hour to convince Gwyn to go back in to her cage. I'd try every ten minutes or so, then go back to doing chores. Unfortunately, if I made enough noise long enough, she's jump off again (Lesson 3 had to repeated every 15 minutes... I can be a slow learner). I may have been getting a little impatient about the third time, at which point Gwyn decided to teach me the final lesson of my night...

Lesson 5: Don't attempt to encourage a glider someplace she is not interested in going. After the third time she'd abandoned me, I basically put her face to the opening of her cage then tried to use my hand to gently push her off. She went over my hand, climbed up my neck, then bit me hard on the ear.

Class dismissed, time for wine.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/21/16 04:06 AM

Oh, yea, crumbling paper or scrunching a plastic bag and they move as fast as atoms.

I don't use anything in my drop pans, just wash them out down the garbage disposal.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/21/16 09:52 PM

So yeah, messed up a bit tonight. I got home late, near their normal wake-up time, but still wanted a little playtime with my babies. So, I took them in to the bathroom to play. Energetic they definitely were, which I expected. I kept encouraging them to jump on me, sometimes they were very willing while other times you'd think I was the devil. Gwyn & Arthur were being very bitey, but I didn't take it to personal because they were chewing on EVERYTHING! *sigh*

Then I thought it was time to get them back to their cage. They did NOT want to go back to their pouch. Even Morgana who became very timid at the end. As fast as I could guide one in, a previous one who jump out. Morgana & Merlin just ran from the pouch, I had to try to catch them frown After about ten minutes, I managed to corral them & take them back to their cage. I was already feeling bad since I doubt they enjoyed the end of the session any more than I did frown

As I was hanging it up, Merlin jumped out, ran up my arm, and out the cage door. He stayed on the cage, but wouldn't let me come near him as the others were starting to explore their cage. I grabbed a fleece blanket, but as soon as it came near him, he was off. I eventually had to pin him (took a few tries, I was terrified to hurting him). When I had him in my hands, I held him against my chest until he calmed a little, them opened the door & let him jump inside. He just sat there with his ears lowered, wouldn't even take a treat cry I thought I felt bad before, but that made me feel horrible.

So yeah, I know I messed up. I think tomorrow I'll let them stay in their cage & just give them a couple treats when they wake & talk to them... take a step back. At least Gwyn seemed her normal self, she actually barked at me when I forgot to give them the usual bedtime treat as I turned off the lights.
Posted By: TwoDog

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 01/22/16 12:52 AM

Hutch hi! Just tagging in. Thanks for the narrative and all the great photos! Following you and your kids. :-)

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/01/16 11:44 AM

Alright, been about a week since I updated... for reasons. Between how the last play session went & I got a really bad cold, I thought it would be a good idea to just step back for a while. I've been hanging out near their cage, talking & occasionally singing (don't tell anyone), & spoiling them with treats through the bars. This weekend I reached in to give them the treats on several times. I've also managed to get them to eat some of the foods they weren't as fond of before; a little honey & partially cooking to soften went a long way.

I believe this has been a good thing. All four are generally willing to come to the front & get a treat from me. Also, they don't seem to mind me reaching into their cage. They didn't really flee before, but they would just freeze. Now they either ignore me, actively watch, or come over to see what I'm messing with. I think that's a good point to resume playtime in the bathroom. I do want to also start spending one-on-one time with each, particularly to try & help them learn their names.

In related news, I think I'm going to buy the fleece cage liners that I've seen some of you post about. They enjoy tearing up the news papers too much & really do not like me changing them often. Also considering that I may want to get a different cage or modifying mine. I like the size that I have, but only one large door in the middle of the front makes it hard to reset their toys each night.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/01/16 10:40 PM

So, I left work late tonight, so I didn't thing I was going to get any playtime. Normally most of the are out of their cage by the time I got home. Turned out Merlin was the only one out of the pouch, but Gwyn was playing peek-a-boo as I put in tonight's food & straightened up their cage. Still, I planned on it being a wash until Gwyn jumped on my arm & scurried up then around to my back.

The next half hour was spent playing 'glider off the back.'

I think the little bugger even decided to take nap on me when I wasn't trying to convince her to get off...

Eventually, I was able to cup her in my hands & hold her to my chest until she settled down... then she was perfectly content to remain in my hand & not leave! cloud9

In the end, I bribed her with a pineapple treat & when she finished it she jumped back into her cage. I will call this a good night.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/03/16 12:27 AM

clap

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/03/16 08:45 AM

Sometimes its the little things. I am not a morning person (understatement), but these critters have actually found a way to make me smile before my coffee.

Each morning before I load up my backpack for the day, I swing by their cage to see how they're doing since all four are usually still playing. I also take the chance to remove their kitchen from the night's meal. Starting sometime last week, all four will jump to the front of the cage as soon as I enter the room to get a treat from me. Gwyn & Arthur actually chirp as they take it from me smile

This morning I was running a bit behind my normal schedule so I went straight to my backpack. I heard one of them (Gwyn probably) from the other room start barking. I felt like she was saying "Hey! Don't forget us!" hehehe. Made me laugh (& got them their treats).

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/03/16 09:48 PM

They are doing a very good job of training you.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/07/16 11:38 AM

Okay, slight panic attack over for the moment: Here I am sitting with my feet on a container I keep some game pieces in, when I hear what sounds like a scuffling inside. I'm thinking 'I haven't moved this thing in a week, how could the pieces be selling still?

So, I open it up & what do I see? Arthur, my royal pain-in-the-rear-end, hiding under some larger miniatures trying not to be noticed!! Luckily the container made him easy to corral; he was not wanting to be picked up. Once I had him, I found their large fleece blanket, wrapped him in it, then cuddled him to my chest to calm down.

Then it hits me: if he got out... I open the cage, check their normal pouch, & feel them in there. To be safe, I take it to our play bathroom & look inside to see Gywn & Morgana peering back out at me... Only Gwyn & Morgana! I give them each of couple pets to let them know everything is okay, then reach around them to see if Merlin is hiding under the ladies. Nope, not that lucky. I show Arthur the girls & he crawls right in for all three to be returned to their cage.

Before my heart stops completely, I check their other pouches & toys... where I find Merlin sleeping alone. *PHEW!*

Now all I need is to figure out how his royal heinie-ness got out of the cage. The doors were still closed & latched, all corners & attachment joints still connected, the tray in place... I'm stumped. I know all four were still in there when I got up around 0200 for some water & gave them treats.

Children, I swear!

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/08/16 02:26 AM

Glad you found him.

I would start keeping your toilet seat down and don't let any water stand in the sinks or tub. They have even been known to crawl into a gallon jug so keep things closed tight.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/09/16 11:48 AM

Arthur you little...

Last night I was awoke around 0200 to what sounded like plastic being chewed. I sit up, turn on the light, & see a white glider butt fleeing my bedroom (BTW, their cage is downstairs from my room). So, I try to quietly walk out after him & play keep away, or escape if I caught him, for about another ten or fifteen minutes.

After I get him back inside I again look for ANYWHERE he could have gotten out. My only guess is maybe he pushed on the door to create space near the flimsy side, so I twist a bunch as straws around the bars to stop-up that gap.

A couple hours later, I hear a chorus of frantic barking. Not just the usual one voice at a time I'm use to, several are going to town. I go to look & there is Arthur AGAIN just sitting in the middle of the dining room *facepalm* He was a little easier to catch this time & a firmer grip kept him from escaping until I got him to the cage... where I see all the straws are still intact, wrapping from the door to the cage & back. Took a little while to unwrap them & he him back inside where is head straight for a pouch. At this point, & early hour, I have no clue what else to try, so I pray his adventures have tired him out & go back to sleep.

Until around 0500, that is, when the critters start barking crazy again. Fearing what that meant, downstairs I go & almost step on Arthur as he is trotting out of the living room. I scoop him up before I can go very far (this time he's crabbing like a mad man), place him in a bonding pouch, the take him back upstairs with me. He was NOT happy about that & spent the next hour crabbing, clawing, & chewing on the pouch before I finally get tired of him keeping me up & return him to the cage. Grrrr...

When I head to work only a couple hours later, I just have to look. I was only able to see two in their sleeping pouch (my heart might serve me 30-days notice at this rate), so out the pouch comes & I feel inside. Four warm bodies *phew*

At which point Morgana decides "Oh, this must be playtime!!" Out the pouch, up my arm, & down my shirt. 10 minutes of chasing her around my clothing & getting completely clawed up (so, yeah, time to trim some nails) I cram her back into the pouch, clip that back inside the cage as she's STILL trying to get around my hand & up my arm, them slam the cage door closed before she reaches it.

After I treat all the deep scratches she left me from not wanting to get off me (rubbing alcohol is almost as effective as coffee first this in the morning... almost), I rush out forgetting my lunch & gym clothes to arrive 15 minutes late for work.

I really need a new cage.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/09/16 12:06 PM

Just spitballing here...but..

Check and see if he is able to push the catch tray at all. Some cages end up with a gap if they can move the catch tray...
Might be time for a webcam :-)

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/09/16 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: ComradeFluffy
Just spitballing here...but..

Check and see if he is able to push the catch tray at all. Some cages end up with a gap if they can move the catch tray...
Might be time for a webcam :-)

I appreciate the suggestion ComradeFluffy. I wondered about that as well the first time he escaped. There is a lot of overlap where the grab portion of the tray meets the side of the cage, so I thought it seemed unlikely. It's also been completely closed when I've looked. Having said those things, I don't have any better idea since it apparently wasn't the door, maybe I'll ziptie that seem tonight.

I was debating on replacing my cage anyways because of the single door. I think this just made the decision & sped up the when for me. In spite of that, you're probably on to something, time for a nightcam. I think you can also set them to record motion in case I need to look back (like how a certain glider keeps getting out).

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/09/16 10:21 PM

So my temporary solution was to buy a new, smaller cage, a good thing since Arthur was out when I got home tant

It's construction is slightly better than my last one, but still a little flimsy. I zip-tied the crap out of the two side doors & I tied straws around the main door once I had them inside. I also removed the lower catch pans since the inner floor lifts easily & taped blocks in place over the openings.

Already they're running all over the cage exploring it & playing with the little I set up. I'm actually taking mental notes of things THEY like about this one since (knock on wood) I will have enough time to look around for something optimal as a full size replacement.

Only real downside of tonight is that Morgana did not, in any way shape or form, want to come out of the old cage... I had to catch her. She'll never get over being hand shy at this rate cry I doubt Arthur is much better after all his escapes.

At least Gwyn seems to be warming up to me, she actively tries to get to my shoulder to sit... even if she is still a little to fond of the taste of my fingers.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/09/16 11:23 PM

These furballs seem intent on preventing sleep for me. So far, they've taken turns each barking their heads off until i turn on a light, tipped over the wheel twice (once trapping Merlin inside), & three times have brought a piece of fleece over to their bananas & crickets to cover it up.

I've wrapped the cage in red lights to see if it quite them down. Then I used the c-clips to anchor the wheel in three directions. Lastly, I took all the fleece they keep nodding down & put it on the roof with only a small corning poking through.

I think I figured out (at least partly) how Arthur was getting out. While all this was going on, he was moving around the cage, grabbing the bars in his teeth, then using the leverage of his how body to pull... the little s***. I would wish him luck, but really I'm rooting for his failure.

Now, a beer & sleepy pill for the paranoid owner... sleep, my precious, theys wants you for themselv-es, they do, but can not have the precious, the precious is for me.... zzz... zzz... sleep
Posted By: Terry

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/10/16 12:47 AM

I don't know that it makes a whole lot of difference, but maybe some. My gliders bark from time to time, but doesn't seem to be quite as much since I started using a colored bulb, night light. I started with adding a red bulb to one of the lamps on floor lamp (I had a torch-ere with goose neck floor lamp), I replaced the torch-style lamp with red bulb. After moving to AZ, I had a multi-lamp,floor lamp, one had a red bulb. Now, I have an orange bulb in my ceiling fan light. I don't notice a whole lot of barking, but still some.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/10/16 01:06 AM

Holy smokes...are you saying he was taking the bars of the cage in his and wedging his way out between the bars?!

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/10/16 03:47 AM

Could you post a couple pictures of your original cage. Maybe we can find the place that little stinker is getting out of.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/10/16 11:24 AM

Four gliders still secured this morning! :hdance:

They seemed to still have quite a bit of energy this morning as I was leaving for work. I assume its the smaller cage, single wheel, & less toys/furniture. They do love having a ceiling they are able to climb on, though. I noticed last night they spend a lot of time hanging from it, whether it be by four feet or two. They're also able to get under the raised floor & like crawling around the underside like the ceiling. Good to know, I'll add a grid for a roof on my list of things to look for on the next cage.

I will need to figure something besides straws for the main door, they take too long to remove/reattach when I want in. That, & the gliders want to 'help...' which is NOT very helpful. shakehead

Originally Posted By: Terry
I don't know that it makes a whole lot of difference, but maybe some.

I agree, the red lights doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference, but in the past it was enough to be noticeable on nights they are particularly vocal. I think it helped last night... but it might also have been the beer+pill, lol. It didn't stop them from making a ruckus when I was late for their normal treats before I head to work... which was good since I slept through my alarm blush

Originally Posted By: ComradeFluffy
Holy smokes...are you saying he was taking the bars of the cage in his and wedging his way out between the bars?!

If he was doing it near one of the doors, yeah, I think that was his method. This new cage has slightly thicker bars & he was still managing to get quite a bit of flex from them. Determined bugger. Glad I used to many zip ties & straws.

Originally Posted By: Feather
Could you post a couple pictures of your original cage. Maybe we can find the place that little stinker is getting out of.

I'd be happy to do that! Maybe y'all will see something I've missed. It would be nice to be able to keep it as a back-up. I'll have to use my real camera, I'm not sure my phone will give y'all that great of an picture to tell much in the way of details. I'll also post the translated specs from Amazon.de Thanks!

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/10/16 07:43 PM

Arthur sounds like handful! How many sleeping pouches do you keep in the cage at a time? Mine sometimes sleep separately. Maybe he wants his own space. I also keep a tiny 1 glider pouch so Dot thinks she's observing yet thinks she is hidden.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/10/16 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
Arthur sounds like handful! How many sleeping pouches do you keep in the cage at a time? Mine sometimes sleep separately. Maybe he wants his own space. I also keep a tiny 1 glider pouch so Dot thinks she's observing yet thinks she is hidden.

He's proving to be... I thought Gwyn was going to be my troublesome one, LOL.

The last couple weeks I've had two pouches in the cage, & they seemed to alternate which they used every few nights. I've only seen one sleeping separately once & that was Merlin.

You might be on to something, I really don't know. I'll watch his behavior & see if there are any more indications along those lines. Thank you!

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/11/16 10:32 PM

So far the new cage is still defeating Arthur's great escapes :yes: But they all bark a lot more in this cage :thumbd:

Tried something new tonight for bathroom time. I placed the pouch on the window sill next to the toilet (normally I start them on the toilet lid). I started by bribing them out of the pouch with pieces of mini-yougut treats by gradually placing them farther from the pouch. Then I started placing the pieces on the palm of a hand that I left sitting on the sill. After about 20 minutes, three of them were eating out of my hand with two searched on it. Then they started exploring me.

On top of that, a friend gave me a zip-up hoodie that doesn't fit him anymore (too much gym time). I wore it today for playtime and glad I did, their nails were doing a number on any exposed skin!

I rested my hands at opposite ends of the sill while I sat on the lid of the toilet & just tried not to move too much. For the next 30-plus minutes they all just explored wherever they wanted to, mainly on me cloud9 They tool turns running, jumping around me, & napping in the hood 1-2 at a time. Thanks ComradeFluffy for that tip!!

After a while, I stood to give them a different orientation & they acted like it was all new exploring all over me like it was new again. I loved them jumping from me to various surfaces & back.

Once it was time to call it, I turned on the light & but a hand near their pouch. They all made their way to it over a few minutes, Morgana leading the way... which is where it became funny. She came back out right before the last one (Gwyn) entered, jumped back to me, & went back in to the hood! So I left her there while I returned the others to the cage, made dinner, cleaned their 'presents' from the bathroom, etc. Right before going to bed, I used fleece to pull her out I return her to the cage.

Great night :rock: Only two downsides: I REALLY need to trim all their nails; Merlin & especially Gwyn still like snacking on my hands.

I haven't forgotten about pictures of the old cage, I just haven't had a change to take care of it, yet.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/16/16 08:34 PM

So this weekend was pretty nice as far as it went for my suggies. Got a decent amount of playtime in with them, I think things are going well. More sessions like I described above. All of them will take a treat from the palm of my hand without much hesitation if I reach in the cage & can pet them them at least briefly while they're munching away. Progress! smile

Gwynevere is really starting to take to me. She regularly allows me to reach in & pet or scratch her, and will allow me to take her out of the cage calmly from a hammock. I think it won't be much longer before she's actively coming to me from her cage, but it is just a guess.

Saturday, I was doing a bit of one-on-one time with Gwyn (by default, really... first one into a bonding pouch, LOL). I was leaving the pouch unzipped so she could keep sicking her head out, but for the most part she stayed clinging to the inside. For whatever reason, I got so sleepy in the afternoon my head was nodding. Since I hadn't had her on me all that long, I decided to go ahead & lay down with her. Still leaving the pouch open, I closed my bedroom door to be safe. I normally can't really nap (especially on my back), but I went out for several hours anyways! I woke up with her still in the pouch under the covers on my belly. I think it was her grooming herself that work me. It was so very nice I think Gwyn liked it to as she was a bit crabby when I tried to return her to the cage.

I also had their first vet appointment yesterday. I'll post a little more description in the thread I have talking about first wellness visits, but the short version is I have four very healthy gliders who all the staff loved & laughed at the antics that is my fur babies. Pretty well behaved if not too cooperative.

Proud papa. cloud9 :lshower:

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/16/16 09:34 PM

Here I was just coming back to upload a pic & new avatar, & what do I see? I'm a Joey member!!! Does this mean I get to have a forever home too? (Not in my line of work *sigh*)

Two pics from this weekend:

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/17/16 12:49 AM

:thumb2:

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/18/16 09:47 AM

Last night I tried a new homemade toy for them. I put a bunch of mini yoggie drops in an Icebreakers container, then placed that in their cage with the smaller opening popped up. It was hilarious watching them pushing each other out of the way to get a chance to try & get one. Arthur actually Heisman'd Gywn at one point! Thanks for the idea, YouTube.

Another one of those lessons learned. Gywn has reached the point that she'll actively try to jump to me from the cage (YAY!)... when she's in the mood, anyways. I'll have to make sure I'm wearing a shirt when I check on them right before bed. Her rapid scampering all over my back, shoulders, & chest with her needle-like nails was reminding me of my last tattoo! I really need to get a file like the vet suggested *ouch*

Last share for now: Arthur practically barked himself horse starting around 0500 before I finally crawled from bed to see what's up. Why the ruckus? From the four of them waiting on the front of the cage, they wanted their morning treats early *facepalm* Yes, I caved, they each got a large piece of papaya & ran for opposite corners to eat them. They did not get another when I left for work a couple hours later, but from their quietness, the didn't seem to care. I really hope this is not a new trend...

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/19/16 07:57 AM

Last night was a quiet night, they didn't wake me if the barked at all. Woo-hoo, sleep!

Gwyn is definitely wanting to spend time on me. As I was straightening things in their cage & pulling out the previous night's food dishes, she jumped on to my arm, then ran to my shoulder. So happy to have reached that point! I let her continue to crawl around me as I prepared their food, reloaded their cage & toys, set-up my gear for the morning, & began to get ready for bed. Gywn let me pet her & scratch her for a decent amount of time without moving. Unfortunately, it was another late night, so we didn't get nearly the amount of time I would've liked. Apparently she wanted more time too, since she was trying hard not to go back into her cage, lol.

Merlin came over to see what was going on. He's almost ready to start coming to me, I think. He would grab & hold my hand or wrist, but wouldn't fully commit to climbing on board. He would allow some brief pets or scratches before letting go to move away.

Continuing my lesson from last night, a t-shirt does not offer much protection from their nails. My back is looking rough! Must...get...file...

So, yeah, ecstatic about my progress with Gwyn & Merlin. Arthur is coming around, he'll let me pet & scratch for a while when he's around the pouch. Morgana at least looks interested when I'm around & will come to check me out; still timid but takes treats readily.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/22/16 08:03 PM

Not much to update from this weekend. Noticing increasing friendliness & interest from all the gliders, slowly put surely.

:lshower: Gwyn readily comes to me from the cage & it's easier to keep her on me with just a guiding hand it it looks like she's going to make a break for it. Our routine has become me opening the door to pull the kitchen out & straighten the cage. While I'm doing that, she'll use my arm to get out & up to my shoulder, back, or wherever she wishes to perch. I'll close up the cage & she'll stick with me while I go through my evening routine. It's nice since I've been getting home from work real late the last few weeks, at least I get some glider-love time.

The only downside is she still bites. :hit: It wouldn't be so bad if I could count on just fingers as I would just keep them away from her mouth. No, she bites whenever she feels like it. Elbow, wrist, ear, neck, forearm... seriously, anywhere. Maybe half a dozen good bites with another half dozen nibbles in the course of the night; never draws blood (knowing on wood).

I love she loves to hang out with me now, even during her active play time... but not loving those teeth. :hbreak: She seems to be the only one who takes so much interest in me with her mouth. Even Merlin (& Arthur infrequently) has been limiting themselves to my fingers. Thoughts or suggestions?

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/23/16 01:01 AM

Sounds like you are making progress man.
I have noticed that...and keep in mind I may be imagining this...
But it seems like overall, but biting is a reflection of overall fear.
Should slowly go away with time.

I hope...

I have two places on the backs of my arms that Gizmo really likes. Whenever I feel him nosing around there I know he's about to start digging.

For one night I had them both taking bites out of the back of my neck...only think I can figure is that I accidentally got something fragrant on my neck somehow...they just had to bite that neck...one night only...go figure.

Overall though, it seems that non-hand related biting has fallen off as the animals become more relaxed around me.

Holding out hope. Otherwise...maybe...tiny, tiny Hannibal Lecter masks.

If I figure out anything that works I will shout it from the rooftops.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/23/16 09:26 PM

If anyone has more suggestions, I believe I can use some frown I've been reading through the forums looking for tips again. It looks like most people mention licky treats, but that seemed to get all four biting my fingers when I tried it early on... They didn't bite before I began offering, then Arthur & Morgana stopped a few days after I gave up on the licky treats. Should I give it another shot?

Tonight started as a great night. Gwyn continued what seems to be our new routine of coming to me as soon as the door is open & hanging out while I take care of evening chores. I even started teaching/encouraging her to glide to me. I'd put her on my dining room light (hanging type), step back, then hold my hands out to her. Every time she jumped to me she got a yoggie & a good petting. Three times we did this before she didn't feel like going to the lamp anymore.

I figured out one the reasons she bites: aggressive grooming. I was trying to pay real close attention. I watched how she'd spit in her hands, scratch the area, lick-lick-nibble... Then BITE! It became very obvious when she did it to my arms & was trying to clean the hair before working her way to my skin. I did discover while this was happening that if I gently pushed her head away, she'd stop & more on.

Merlin & Morgana wanted out of the cage too. Cool at first, I just mainly kept trying to corral them onto me or back in to the cage (as opposed to on the cage, their preference). At one point I had the three of them on me, so I closed the door & walked around the house a bit. All's well until we pass near the cage again & Merlin bails off. Easy, I open the cage to allow him in as Mogana leaps for the cage top. As I try to redirect her, Merlin comes back out. Cue the three stooges music. As I continue trying to get Larry & Curly back in to the cage, Moe (Gwyn) has decided my ears look yummy. Stubbornly so.

Once I finally get the two inside, Gwyn trots down my arm, inside the cage & to the water bottle. As I gave each of them a treat, Morgana climbs back on to my hand! So, I slowly pull her out allowing her plenty of time to jump back off, then bring her to my shoulder. Cage closed, walking the house again. Every lap I give her a mini yoggie to show her this is a happy good thing. Not wanting to push her, I take her back to the cage after four slow laps, open it up, & rest my arm near a hommock that Morgana goes towards

I think another reason Gwyn bites is jealousy: Before Morgana is off, Gwyn climbs back aboard & starts biting HARD! I try to gently push her face away like before with a tssk, ow! or her name. She either goes right back to the spot or switches to the finger that just pushed her away. Nor does she want off my hand even once Morgana is on the hammock watching her. I try to pull my hand out of the cage slowly & rubbing her against the bars to encourage to to grab on to that. Nope, nails dig in harder, she doesn't want to go anywhere else. I get her out of the cage & scoop her from my hand on to my chest. So she clambers up to my neck for a few chomps before attempting to give me an ear piercing. I decided I had enough: scoop her off my shoulder holding her tight enough she can't escape (I was thanked with a solid bite on the finger across her chest) & plop her on to a hammock. What the **** Gwyn!?!? Bites still not breaking skin (slightly amazed tonight) but those were some serious bites!

I barely got the door closed before she was on it. As I was tying the doors closed for the night, she kept trying to pull the straws from my hands! She has playfully tried to 'help' me tie the door at night before, but this was aggressive.

Another reason I think it was jealousy is that 10 or so minutes after I walked away, she started barking & would not stop until I came to check on her after 5 minutes of it. She didn't even jump to the front of the cage like when she normally wants a treat, but sauntered over on the closest hammock watching me ears up.

Really, any advice appreciated! Her behavior makes me think of jealousy, but of her colony mate? Isn't bonding suppose to work in all directions? Or is this protective biting after all? Thoughts on that?
Posted By: brianjgrs

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/23/16 10:16 PM

Well all I can really say is that you are spending a lot of time with them and every glider is different so there's really not much to say..Just do the tsk noise or whatever yours may be. Just try different things to get them to stop. I take it your not flinching or anything like that or showing fear when they do bite correct? Try and think about their behavior before they bite, if it's the same thing over and over before they bite then well..This means They have figured out biting is a way to get what they want or for you to stop doing something they don't like. My gliders personally, I have trained enough that they just never do it. But for some reason the one and only time they actually do bite, is in the morning right before I go to work while they are still awake and about to go to bed. I still haven't figured out why Boots is doing it, but I will. Anyway you will get it down soon just keep trying different things to try and get them to stop. Also, it seems they are only biting inside the cage correct? that is their territory so biting is normal, like I said with mine. The only time I get bit is when they are inside the cage for some reason it still baffles me.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/24/16 01:46 AM

Try offering them treats on a spoon instead of your fingers.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/24/16 11:56 AM

Try offering them treats on a spoon instead of your fingers.

Kimberly, do you mean licky-style treats or all treats?

Originally Posted By: brianjgrs
I take it your not flinching or anything like that or showing fear when they do bite correct?

Try and think about their behavior before they bite, if it's the same thing over and over before they bite then well..

Also, it seems they are only biting inside the cage correct? that is their territory so biting is normal, like I said with mine.

Brian, the only time I flinch is when she goes after my ear... that hurts! The rest of the time I'll make a sharp sound then reach with another finger or my other hand & redirect her face if the sound isn't enough. Use to work well on her & Merlin. Unfortunately, 'just taking it' isn't very effective when she gets serious (like the end story from last night)because it's frequently not just one bite, but a major chewing. Very early on I tried to do nothing besides tssk and it went on for like 10 seconds before I had enough.

I've been trying to learn her behavior, like you suggested. That's why I figured out part of the time it's aggressive grooming. The one I can't figure out is the later one after I played with Morgana... whether she was being protective or jealous. I don't think it's cage related, she starts when outside the cage more often than inside. Arthur will nip around the pouch, so I know not to give him to opportunity when he's near it, but that is the only one that seems territorial to me.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/24/16 03:49 PM

Hutch,

Give them their licky treats on a spoon.
Posted By: brianjgrs

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/24/16 10:11 PM

Yeah, if it's consistent then defiantly try and get them to stop. More than one bite is a definite nono. Using a spoon as Kimberly said is a good idea and prevents getting bitten. Just keep trying different things and see what works for you.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/27/16 02:38 AM

It's 0330 here, so I hope y'all forgive me for keeping it short...

Gwyn is defiantly the most bonded. I love coming home & having her come to me as soon as I open the cage. I've become convinced, however, she gets jelious of me interacting with the other gliders. That's the only time she jumps off me or bites hard.

Arthur, who I originally though would be my cuddler, became the first glider to break skin with chewing (note: chewing... not a single bite). In fact, he's done this two nights in a row now. It's always when I try ti return him to the cage after he's gotten on the outside. I figure he's displeased to be sent back, jelious our Gwyn, or cage protective when I reach in to return him.

Merlin still nibbles but mainly tried to climb outside of the cage & Morgana doesn't come to me or attempt to get outside of the bars, but she readily accepts treats.

I fed them late... I think too busy eating to sleep... so, I sleep now. Zzzz.... Zzzz....

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/27/16 02:48 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention:

Explaining that 'no, I don't shoot up drugs' and 'no, sugar glider is not a new street name for something' due to the marks all over my arms was kind-of amusing.

It was even more hilarious when the officer googled the 'term' to see confirm 'sugar gliders' wasn't the new 'molly' & was confronted with "the cutest animals I've ever seen!!!" I then spend the next ten minutes answering how everything she could think to ask about them, including how to get a few.

I could be upset or annoyed... but her end reaction was too awesome for any of that. It's the little things, some days.
Posted By: sugiemom1408

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/27/16 08:44 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention:

Explaining that 'no, I don't shoot up drugs' and 'no, sugar glider is not a new street name for something' due to the marks all over my arms was kind-of amusing.

It was even more hilarious when the officer googled the 'term' to see confirm 'sugar gliders' wasn't the new 'molly' & was confronted with "the cutest animals I've ever seen!!!" I then spend the next ten minutes answering how everything she could think to ask about them, including how to get a few.

Unsure what you do for a living but I was in law enforcement for awhile, before my disability I can only imagine if one of my fellow officers saw "sugar glider" marks, I might be undergoing a drug test ASAP LOL too cute

sugiemom to Stuart :grey:

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/28/16 12:03 AM

Merlin was the first one up as I was swapping their food. He climbed on as I was getting their dish out, so for a ride he went. As I put the food away, the others are out & about, & Melin wants dinner. As he's getting off, Gwynevere jumps aboard.

So, more walking around, showing off the house, & giving her occasional yoggies. After she starts slowing down & settles on my wrist, I'm thinking she might want to go back. So, reach in & align her near a hammock... and she lowers her ears while looking at me. I guess I read that wrong, LOL. As I'm pulling my arm out with her still attach, Merlin jumps back aboard.

Fast forwarding, I go to try & put them both back in. Not only do neither want to go back, Morgana hesitantly climbs on. Went from trying to return two to having three clambering about me. Oh well, hardly going to complain. More yoggies & more walking.

Eventually manage to cup each on & set them on a hammock (I need sleep too, fur-babies). I give them each a couple last yoggies as a treat, & even one for Arthur. Rather than just take it from my like they normally do, Arthur grabs my fingers with his paws & nibbles the yoggie from my hands... & then doesn't want to let go! Just kept nuzzling & licking my finger tips holding on tight.

I love nights like this. cloud9 Good night, GC.

Originally Posted By: sugiemom1408
Unsure what you do for a living

USAF Enlisted.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/28/16 01:38 AM

mlove

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/28/16 09:27 AM

Awesome yes I can see why they look at you a bit odd then with all the markings. lol Too funny.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/28/16 10:30 PM

I wasn't able to catch an image of Arthur, but all four wanted to come out & go for a ride tonight. It was getting them back in to the cage which was the hard part... even after they wanted to take a nap! They crashed out for an hour after I got them into their cage, normally running around like mad during that time.

For whatever reason, Gwyn & Merlin haven't been so bitey... just out of the blue! Not complaining, but maybe a little suspicious on if it'll last. I really love how cuddly Gwyn has been this week hug2 This has definitely been a week where I could use it.

I did try offering them some yogurt on a spoon. For the most part they just turned their noses up at it. Maybe a lick or two, then lost interest. Maybe I need to try a different brand, they love yoggies after all. Then again, Merin almost fell in to the container, so maybe it's the spoon they're unsure of, hmmm.

Still, loving my sudden progress :lshower:

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/29/16 09:57 AM

I did try offering them some yogurt on a spoon. For the most part they just turned their noses up at it. Maybe a lick or two, then lost interest. Maybe I need to try a different brand, they love yoggies after all. Then again, Merin almost fell in to the container, so maybe it's the spoon they're unsure of, hmmm.

Still, loving my sudden progress :lshower:

Awwesome keep up the good work, not sure what yogurt you have but I use Yoplait and Stuart turns his nose up to EVERY FLAVOR except PEACH...Mmmmm he LOVES PEACH thought I would just give him variety but no he wants his peach.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/29/16 09:49 PM

Okay, I'm beginning to figure out that having multiple gliders who WANT to spend time with you after they wake up for the night CAN be too much of a good thing. I ended up struggling for half an hour to get Merlin, Morgana, & Gwyn back in to the cage so I could go to bed! It's a good thing they're so darn cute. cloud9 I need my work to calm down so I'm not there until so late, like I've been all month. I miss our long play times.

Funny thing from tonight: timid shy Morgana is the one that spent most of the evening jumping off me, only to turn around & jump right back as soon as I reached for her. Here I've been trying to teach Gwyn this game & Morgana was like "I got this" shakehead

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 02/29/16 11:57 PM

Awesome! That has to feel good. My solution sometimes--rarely--when I can't get them to go quickly back into the cage is to just remove the Vile Sweatshirt and put it in the cage, gliders and all. Got it down to where I can take it off without disrupting them too much. Sometimes they sleep in the sweatshirt, but usually they will move up to one of the pouches.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/01/16 12:04 AM

I'm not sure if you get off post much, or shop off post , but MANY years ago (the wall was still up) the local market had some really good yogurt. Of course the ingredients are in german. ( no sugar free stuff ) The kind we liked was from a local dairy farm. My kids liked it over pudding. We were in Schweinfurt, Bavaria.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/02/16 11:31 PM

You know, these balls of fur & energy are really like kids. They manage to make me feel INCREDIBLY guilty that I've been having to work 10-14 hours six days a week the last few weeks. Tonight Gwyn started barking up a storm when I returned her to the cage before she was ready. She was inconsolable, no amount of talking, petting, or treats would get her to stop.

What was humorous was I actually put a yoggie in her mouth (gently) as she barked. She very carefully took it back out with a paw & held on to it while she continued. So I did it again & she used her other paw to do the same thing. So, yeah, a yoggie in each front paw & still going. I was like 'okay, you win this one,' & went upstairs. She kept it up for over 20 minutes before I went back down & turned on a light; that worked. Since then (yes, I turned it back off) she's started up a several times, but for less than a minute each.

I wish I knew what was prompting this fit/keeping her going. Like that baby who just won't stop crying, you want to do something, but just don't know what. Ok, ok, wanting to go to sleep may also be a factor (much like a baby, again). In all honestly, I'd rather be able to stay up & play with them more. Stupid work & being an adult getting in the way.

I'm not sure if you get off post much, or shop off post , but MANY years ago (the wall was still up) the local market had some really good yogurt. Of course the ingredients are in german. ( no sugar free stuff ) The kind we liked was from a local dairy farm. My kids liked it over pudding. We were in Schweinfurt, Bavaria.

I actually live & do the majority of my shopping off post. I like the creamier German yogurt, I'll chose it over a lot of other desserts. Bavaria, very nice! That's one of my favorite areas to visit, so beautiful. A long drive for me, 7hrs to the Garmisch or Neuschwanstein areas. I'm on the opposite end of the country.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/03/16 12:28 PM

Hutch, I saw where you are! I am jealous! We never got to the Netherlands and you are so close!

I found the local foods in our area whether it be canned, frozen or fresh tasted better than what was available at the commisary.

I really enjoy your on going story here!

I hope your your little glider family gets to spend lots of time with you soon! Sounds like they as a whole haven't started pouting yet. (ignoring you) Ours do that from time to time!

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/03/16 06:01 PM

Hutch, I saw where you are! I am jealous! We never got to the Netherlands and you are so close!

I found the local foods in our area whether it be canned, frozen or fresh tasted better than what was available at the commissary.

I do love my location, so easy to visit so many different countries smile I have to agree about the food! I only get things from the commissary that I really can't find or are too expensive on the economy (original Cheerios are almost 6 euro vs 2.50 on base!). It also helps that my nearest commissary is just over 30 minutes away instead of 5-7 minutes for the nearest Rewe wink

I really enjoy your on going story here!

I hope your your little glider family gets to spend lots of time with you soon! Sounds like they as a whole haven't started pouting yet. (ignoring you) Ours do that from time to time!

Thank you! I appreciate people letting me know that, it's encouraging.

The only one ignoring me so far is Arthur... he started this week. He doesn't even want to come out of his pouch when I'm around, except to stick his nose out if I'm passing around treats. Though he did get jealous of the others right at the end last night & wanted to come out... as I was trying to put everyone away shakehead

I should add, he does come out in the night & looks completely healthy. It's really just as I'm trying to interact with them that he crawls back in like "nuh-uh, you've been ignoring us, I'm ignoring you!"

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/04/16 02:58 AM

I wish we had a "like" button. Sometimes I feel like I'm "Bogarting" when I make comments across several posts in one sitting. I keep quiet more than I would like to sometimes.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/04/16 07:31 AM

Yesterday was close to a 15hr workday for me. By the time I made it home, three of the four were protesting my absence. When I opened the cage to put their food in, only Morgana came over & wanted out. Merlin retreated from the wheel to the pouch, then three faces poked out at me & Gwyn tssk'd me before going back inside. I felt bad about it & having to block Morgana from coming out to play, but it was almost midnight & I had to be in at 0730. At least Morgana got several treats for saying 'hi.'

I'll have to make it up for them once we get through this inspection. Maybe during a lunch break this weekend I can manage time to get them a new, large cage to explore.

I wish we had a "like" button. Sometimes I feel like I'm "Bogarting" when I make comments across several posts in one sitting. I keep quiet more than I would like to sometimes.

I know what you mean. Besides my lack of experience, I also don't want to seem like I'm just trying to build my count or something like that.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/04/16 12:24 PM

Your babies will do this from time to time. It's not easy when you work so many hours. We go through phases of this too. I feel bad, but they don't forget the good times, they just become a bit reluctant. It will pass.

I've read that they don't like change. Well ours got over that about 3 months after we got them. We travel with work and stay in our 5th wheel most of the time. They have 2 homes plus we travel and stay with family3 or 4 times a year. In a way, they are more bonded with us as we have never had a sitter for them and they know that where ever we are, they are safe with us. I keep a smelly old fleece blanket over their cage when we are in a new place and we have to leave them for the day.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/14/16 01:31 PM

Howdy again, GC! Been a while since I've been able to sit down & do an update (& several days since I'd been able to sit down & read other's updates). 80-hour weeks for the last month have been rough.

I think my furries have gotten over my long hours, now they usually just act happy to see me. Gwynevere & Morgana are usually near the door of the cage as soon as I come home. Most nights Merlin is quick to join them as I open said door. Arthur can be indecisive, but feels left out if the rest come out on me, so sometimes he follows the crowd (glider peer pressure?).

Here is a little more detail about each of my crazy critters:
Morgana is usually waiting on the door itself or right above it. She'll either jump on me as soon as she is able to fit through the opening or drop on to my arm as I reach in for their food dish. Morgana also seems to have eclipsed Gwyn as both my big adventurer & being more bonded. She enjoys riding around on me, but also loves to take long leaps where ever she is able to grab a hold, then will explore some before readily jumping back to me. Has a real bad habit of going to my hand/fingers when I trying to re-acquire one of her colony mates making the process more difficult. Gets cuddly & allows petting as she tires. Morgana is also my smallest. I would worry about her getting enough to eat, but since she will occasionally turn up her nose at an offered treat I know she loves, I'm not concerned. Besides, there's now always some food left in the dish & some cereal in the cage all day long. Must just be her. She's definitely at the bottom of the colony ladder. Quietly & cutely sqeaks with eating yoggies.

Gwynevere, Morgana's pouch-sister, has settled down the last couple weeks. Still like exploring, she seems to save it for when I'm not giving her my undivided attention. Yeah, she still gets jealous of the others. Gwyn was actually giving Morgana and me the stick-eye last night as I was talking on the phone with Morgana jumping to the end-table then running back up the phone cord to me (again, & again). Normally, she's right with Morgana at the door when I open it & will explode at me once it's fully open. Mostly she'll be content the ride on my shoulder or back, but gets upset with me when I try to return her to the cage (get nippy). Loves to cuddle around my neck & receives pets, scratches, & yoggies. She'll jump off me to the floor if I starting paying too much attention to another glider for more than a couple minutes. It's definitely a game to her, because if I don't follow, she'll come back to look for me! Won't come to me, but makes sure I see her & walks slowly away until I follow. She's still not a fan of the 'long jump to human-tree' game I've been trying to teach her. She's become even more stubborn about it since Morgana began doing it regularly. She is larger than Morgana in length and girth, not a lot, but noticeably. Gwyn is my most vocal at night. She is probably second in the hierarchy of the colony.

Merlin is to a point where is wants to come to play with me... but is not too sure he wants to stay on me. He will scurry around & likes getting on to my head (often via my face). He's not too reliable when it comes staying on me. Melin will jump off on to a nearby climbable surface & is slow to return until cornered, then he'll jump back on for a bit. He'll readily, if nervously, accept food from my fingers. Still crabs if surprised. I really thought he was going to end up the Alpha at first, but I believe even Gwyn is more dominate than he is... does seem to go back & forth who gives way to whom though. He's about the same size as Gwyn, but other than the occasional crab, fairly quite.

Arthur, my lazy Alpha. He is probably the least bonded, but is interested, it seems. Arthur sleeps the most & doesn't seem to try to use the wheel as much. He is definitely the largest glider by length & weight, but doesn't seem fat. Maybe he just most his exercise while I sleep. He is the fastest to jump off of me to run & hide under something, & the hardest to re-catch. If I corner him, he will wait until I pick him up, then try to jump off again. Also the only glider with whom I still assume I'll get bit at least at one point. He especially gets bitey if I try to put him back after he's refused to remain on me some night. My second barker & a bit of a bully. He'll actually grab treats from the others. At least they know if they come back to me, I'll give them another. If I give them big pieces of food, Arthur is quick to gather another fuzzbutt to help him put a piece out & chow down at opposite ends. Funny to watch him coordinate it! I need to give this one more one-on-one time, bring him around... Gwyn will just have to deal with it, LOL.

It is humorous for me to read my own earlier posts & which I thought would be like what... definitely didn't end up like I first pictured smile I also find it funny that my girls have bonded first since most things I read said the males would bond faster. I need to get new pictures to share with y'all soon!

Anyways, that's where I am now. I can see things should slow down for me in a week or two. I'm looking forward to starting tent time (now that I have one) & spending more time with each. 30-60 minutes after getting home real late is just not enough for me.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/14/16 11:07 PM

As if my last post wasn't long enough wink I thought I would add a bit more. After all, that post 'only' used up my entire lunch break, LOL. That's right, I actually took a lunch BREAK & home before midnight, things are looking up!

I ordered them some Eucalyptus branches from the site that was discussed on GC a bit ago... The branches arrived last week and my furballs LOVED them!. They stripped any leaves off, carry them around a bit, chew the bark. It was a good suggestion, thanks for those who shared it with us.

Gwyn has discovered she can climb the textured wallpaper Germans like to use. Its funny when she climbs up just above head level, then just hangs there watching whatever I'm doing like its the most fascinating thing ever. Gwyn was definitely cuddly tonight grin Morgana was less hyper than I'm use to her being, but really wanted to groom my ear shakehead

Two really cute related scenes from tonight:
1. Merlin was having trouble with the water bottle (it tipped over too far to flow right). I righted it earning a happy little squeak from him who was now able to get water out. (Accidents like this is why I have two bottles!)
2. Arthur came over & they took turns licking & looking around. It would be a couple seconds of drinking while the other looked around like it heard something, then without missing a beat they'd trade so the other drank while the first drinker looked around nervously. That went on for about a minute.

Put some treats in the icebreaker container, wove some straws through the bars, then returned Gwyn & Morgana to the cage, & let them all go to town. It was a nice ending to the night, I think.

Thanks for reading, I'm going to get some sleep now!

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/15/16 01:59 PM

:lshower: your stories! Keep them comming! Too fun too cute!

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/15/16 09:15 PM

So, I was thrown out of my office after the reasonable workday of 'only' 10 hours (matter of perspective) since they wanted to wax my floor. That means I actually was home to play with my gliders for a while! YAY!!

I remembered to put on the glider hoodie before going to the cage for a change. Gwynevere went straight for the hood, but Morgana was wanting to leap for everything she could reach. The boys didn't want to join at first.

So, I spend about half an hour or so meandering my house, letting Morgana jump off when she felt like it then jump back. She's really learned to like my central staircase since the hand railing winds the whole way. I was letting her do whatever she wanted until she started eating the dream-catcher that hangs in the center of my house. I didn't mind her playing with the feathers, but consumption is not an option. I decided I needed to keep a better eye on her.

About this time, Merlin began making a fuss at the cage door, so I let him out. Arthur was still not interested... royalty, sheesh.

After Gwyn decided to come out, she mainly stuck to me with only a little exploring at first. Actually, she was very interesting in grooming the back of my head. Guess that's her way of reminding me I'm due for a hair cut. A-n-y-w-a-y-s... she eventually decided to see where the handrails may lead. While she didn't go after my dream catcher, Gwyn did decide she'd had enough of the stairs & wanted to check out the guest bedroom. Off she glides right through the door *sigh* Luckily Merlin & Morgana were happy to jump back aboard so I could follow her without worrying about them.

Turns out Morgana likes to know who I message. My phone was rather active tonight and whenever I went to respond, she would run down to my hand & use her nose to tap right where the profile picture was. Once he image expanded, she'd sniff it, then run back up my arm. Huh? :pointlaugh:

Gywn on the other hand is like the stero-typical teenage daughter... she went straight for the credit cards I keep in my cellphone's case. Figures. Merlin just kept trying to eat the case itself. shakehead

After a little more than an hour of these antics, it was time to go back (I'm wanting to turn in early since I have the chance). They actually gave me almost no grief about going back in!! :yes: Maybe that means they're getting use to the routine, maybe they were satisfied with finally spending some time with me, maybe they're getting use to being handled, or maybe they just wanted at their food dish. Whatever the reason, tonight as a whole has made me very happy.

PS: The highlight of the evening has to be Gwyn trying to run in the wheel while holding a piece of carrot in her mouth that's bigger than her head.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/17/16 08:46 AM

Hutch really enjoy your post and stories about your gliders. I love having something great to read to Stuart during our night time. I feel EXTREMELY bad as I haven't been well enough lately to do tent time, but Stuart seems fine. We still have our 2:00am-3:00am talk and play by his cage, he likes it though cause he barks like mad if I'm late. lol
Do you think he will continue to be ok with this interaction till I feel better? I still carry him in pouch during day and pet him etc... he lets me with no issues.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/17/16 09:09 PM

Hutch really enjoy your post and stories about your gliders. I love having something great to read to Stuart during our night time.

Thank you, I love hearing that smile I hope Stuart is getting a good laugh at the antics of my fuzzbutts.

Do you think he will continue to be ok with this interaction till I feel better?

Just going off my experiences while working these insane hours for about a month now... he'll be fine. Mine made a little fuss at first just because they didn't like the change in our routine, but they got over it quick. Don't stress about it, focus on getting better & give him what time you're able.

----------------

I got home early again. (Of course, it's so I can go to bed early since I have a meeting dark & early...) Only Gwyn & Morgana wanted to come out & play tonight. It was nice, they were both very cuddly (I think they were still tired since it was early). They each camped out on a side of my neck & accepted all the pets I would give 'em! When I stopped petting to prepare their food, they crawled in to the hoodie (I remembered to wear it again!) until I put it in their cage. That's when they came out of the hood wanting more pets, eventually noticed the food, & meandered in for dinner.

Merlin & Arthur were already going to town on the chopped apple mixed with vanilla yogurt. Gwyn made it over first to join them, but Morgana couldn't make up her mind what she wanted: me or food. Food won out when I didn't reopen the cage for her, so she wandered around to the other side of the bowl & tried to squeeze between Gwyn & Merlin. Why? Who knows; three-quarters of the rim around the 5" dish was available.

Anyways, Morgana squeezes her way in, so Merlin (who's completely perched on the rim) looks over & 'tssks' at her... to which she responded by shoving Merlin off the rim & in to the yogurt. :roflmao2: He jumps out & runs off to clean himself up, she chows down like nothing happened making some of the loudest happy-squeaks I've heard from one of them yet heart . None of this even phased Gwynevere or Arthur.

I love my crazy little furry balls of trouble mlove

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/18/16 05:43 AM

shakehead :rofl2:

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/18/16 06:37 PM

Finally, left work while stores were still opened to go cage shopping... & found something! The hardest thing was fitting the sucker in to my Mini Figures I like the one that is solid from legs to top shock

Come home using only 2nd-4th gears (the cage was blocking the rest), reassemble, furnish, & move fuzzbutts before they realize what is going on. I also hide more treats than usual in all the various nooks & hide-holes to encourage exploration & happy feelings about the change. Worked last time. After a cautious start, they're running all over their new (& please be permanent) home. grin

I think I got everything we all wanted (gliders and I) :yes: : Tall & large, grates top, grated floor with separate removable tray, large openings for access. This cage actually one-uped that last desire by giving me two medium size doors set inside a huge door!

Only two mods I want to make (nothing is perfect right?). First, the bottom is very noisy when the run/jump/land/scurry/think-loudly on it. So, I'm thinking of adding rubber bumps like you but in cabinet doors for the edge to rest on. Second, the flap that covers the bottom grill & pan requires almost no tension to move. I'm thinking a magnets at the two corners should be enough to hold it.

Cage 3 for them:

The first two intrepid explorers (Merlin & Arthur) realizing something is different:

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/19/16 11:42 AM

This is the first cage with vertical bars, so it was funny watching them slide down a little every time they stopped. They looked slightly confused at that too, hehe.

Gwyn was the only one who acted like she wanted out as I was watching. I let her climb on me, walked her around the house a bit, & loved on her some. I ended up taking a call for a while & she just clung just behind my shoulder. I don't know if Gwyn was just listening to the sounds, or if she fell asleep since she held so still for so long. The moment I hung up, she came up to my neck & settled in... so I suspect was sleeping.

When it was time to meet some friends for dinner & movie, she gave no protests to being scooped up & held to the new cage's door. Gwyn jumped right in, accepted a yoggie, & headed for the wheel.

When I got home, they were still running around checking hiding places for more treats & making happy noises. Also, very little barking during the night. I'll call the first night with the new cage was a success smile

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/21/16 08:35 PM

I've noticed a distinct change in Gwynevere the last couple nights: She used to struggle & squirm when I'd scoop her off of me to return her to the cage. (Actually anytime I'd scoop her up, but that was when it really mattered.) Last night & tonight, as I scooped her up, she was... well, she looked annoyed, impatient, & barely tolerant... but she wasn't struggling or fighting me. Gwyn allowed me to lift her up & return her to the cage.

The metioned dirty looks went away when I gave her the usual 'thanks for playing' yoggie. She's the forgiving sort *eye roll*

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/23/16 03:33 AM

You may want to cover your walls with fleece or a shower curtain or you will find food stuck to them.

Nice cage set up!

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/27/16 10:41 PM

Well, I was originally planning on giving an update on my progress this week... but instead I'm going to talk about what a butt Gwyn decided to be tonight.

First, wasn't really planning on playing with them again as late as it was... but a quick last treat & scratch before bed turned in to playtime as Gwyn & Morgana wouldn't let go of my hand. Okay, dryer had 20min left on it... I'll go with it. I owe them some back-play-time anyways.

So they scurry around on me for a bit. Gwyn is being a little nippy, but in a exploratory or grooming way. She's allowing lots of pets & scratches, being cuddly to my neck, very nice. Then, as I'm trying to encourage Morgana to make her longest jump yet... she pees on me. A lot. Like, I didn't know her small body could hold that much. shakehead

It happens, I get it, so when Gwyn came back to my arm she got a quick pet. I decide Morgana isn't up to the leap yet & go to get her. Much shorter hop, she's back to me. Couple scratches for the returning glider while Gwyn starts pulling on the collar of my shirt behind my neck. It feels like she's trying to 'nest' between it & my neck... or so I though. I feel a couple 'treats' drop down my back... :pointlaugh: Thanks, Gwynevere.

Dryer is about down, so at this point I've decided enough is enough. I go to return them both to the cage. They were not done playing, so made the return trip problematic. Namely, scoop one & return, who jumps back to me while scooping the other. Finally get both in the cage still hanging on to my hand & Gwyn decides its time to let me know how displeased she is that I'm returning her too soon... with the hardest bites my gliders have given me yet. Three total & I really don't know how she didn't break skin. shock

Gwyn wasn't responding to sound or redirecting her face; I had to resort to blowing. I blew hard enough that it scared both of them off me to opposite corners. I did feel a little bad that Morgana caught part of it, so I gave her two 'thanks for playing' treats: Hers & Gwyn's. No treat for Gwyn after those bites. mad

Such attitude tonight! So, sorry this was mostly a Gwyn rant, but seriously you crazy furball?

You may want to cover your walls with fleece or a shower curtain or you will find food stuck to them.

Nice cage set up!

Thank you! Funny thing, I ordered fleece for that purpose sized for my last cage not thinking about I meant it to be temporary... so its a little less than half the size I need for this cage. I guess they'll become little fleece blankets & I need to get more on order. Oh, well.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/29/16 08:22 AM

So, the update I meant to do a couple nights ago... but first, had to do some major edits to my post above. Sorry for the atrocious grammar, I think I need to stop doing late night updates using my phone. Autocorrect is not always my friend & my fingers do not move as fast as my mind.

On to the update:
Arthur still is distant, but acts more interested in me. I've tried a little for one-on-one time, but its really hard with him. He likes to sleep in the bottom of the pouch under everyone else, is the last one to come out, & usually immediately crawls back in during the day. At least the others will usually relieve themselves & explore a bonding pouch if I offer it to them (it's a trap, mwah-ha-ha-ha!). Arthur has started this new thing where he likes to grab my fingers in his front paws & hang on. Sometimes he holds them watching me, sometimes he'll sniffs or lick 'em, sometimes I get a bite. I never know which.

Merlin is still hit or miss whether he wants to come out & play with me. He is quite willing to come to the front of the cage when I'm near (expecting a treat, I'm sure). He will usually allow a very quick couple of pets if I reach in to the cage before moving away. When I do give him a treat through the bars, he'll take it with his mouth, but reach out & grab a finger offering it with one of his paws.

Morgana still acts shy inside the cage, but still like to come out about as often as Gwyn. She is still a little hand shy too, but if I give her a treat as payment, she'll allow me to pet her. Sometime she acts so friendly & others she acts like she's still nervous around me. I have a difficult time reading her as a result. It is nice that she's stopped running after taking a treat from me. In fact, Morgana will often take the treat from me with a paw & look at me expectantly. I feel like she's saying 'I have a mouth & paw still free *hint, hint*'

Gwyn... we'll you can get a good idea where she is with me in the above (now edited) post. My most bonded, most opinionated, & most jealous glider. She does not like sharing me or having HER plans changed. shakehead If I try to tickle her through the cage, Gwyn likes to reach through the bars for my finger, so very cute. Of course, if I allow her to get a hole of me & pull the finger close, I get a nip. Not falling for that one more than three times.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/29/16 09:54 AM

Thanks for the updates, Hutch. We love following the gliders of the round table. :-)

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/29/16 11:21 PM

It was the best of time, it was the worse of times... Arthur has drawn first blood. Okay, lemme back-track.

So, I decided that he WAS going to have some one-on-one time with me. Okay, I admit, not the best mentality, but it did help some of my others with their bonding. I got home on time, brought their pouch to the customary bathroom, dumped them out of the normal starting pad, then sprinkled some yoggies as a peace offering for their early wake-up. It also gave them a chance to relieve themselves.

After the were all moving about, I offered Arthur a bonding pouch & the rest the normal pouch. It worked. Arthur was separated & the rest were returned to the cage. (Note: Arthur relieved himself just fine before, but didn't stop him from stinking up that pouch.) Also of note... Morgana went of of her way to pee on the pouch after Arthur was inside. She got me too.

It went well, overall. He crabbed some (a sound I haven't heard in about a month), but I was able to cup him or pet him in a bonding pouch from about 1900 to 2100 (it was unzipped most of the time). All was very nice! It was near the end that he became really crabby & nippy. It would start as a grooming or tasting... but his bites became hard & he responded less to 'tissks' until he has become the first glider to actually break skin. I had tried talking, singing... everything that had worked before, but her still managed to get a real piece of me.

Some of you might be thinking its par for the course, & honestly I'm surprised it took this long, but still the first of MY gliders to draw blood.

Shortly after I returned Arthur do the cage. Of course Gwyn was upset that I'd spent time with someone other than her. She went straight for the bonding pouch I was still wearing as I was still returning Arthur to the cage. So, she spent a good part of the remaining evening in the pouch, cupped in a hand just like Arthur. She gave me a few nibbles & bites, but nothing too serious, only annoying. Lots of pets & her cuddling my fingers, then I returned her to the cage with only one hard bite of protest (no blood).

For the most part I consider tonight progress due to the time I spent with Arthur & Gwyn curled up in or cuddling my hand... but now having one of my gliders draw blood, it is hard to call it a success. I'll need more one-on-one time with Arthur, I believe.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/30/16 02:08 AM

Ouch! I know those bites all to well. Ouch!

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/30/16 12:00 PM

Yep, I got one of those this week. But it didn't bleed. Dot got me on the thick pad of my thumb. It's sore and when I do dishes I feel it. It's like a tiny stab wound or cardboard cut. She is very suspicious of me since the storm.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/30/16 08:37 PM

Another night of working with Arthur one-on-one. Started much like yesterday, though all were a little more sluggish & resistant than yesterday. Still, treated all four to too many yoggies since I was disturbing their rest & was able to isolate Arthur in to a bonding pouch.

I mixed it up a fair amount today: No hand in pouch, hand in pouch, hand next to him, hand holding him. For the most part e was quite tolerant, very little crabbing or nipping, & only a little trying to move away. In fact, even after 2100 when he really began to wake, only a few good bites & no skin breaks.

I did settle Arthur down multiple times. I even used his tail against him by covering his eyes with it so he felt like he was hiding. I've seen him do it in the pouch, so I tried it. I can't believe it worked, but wrapping his own tail over his eyes calmed Arthur while he was on my chest cupped in a hand. After almost four hours with me, I was able to return him to the cage without incident or any real marks left on my hide.

He's still shy & was happy to return to the cage, but I feel there is progress since yesterday. Might be optimistic, but then again, I felt that way about Gwyn until it became consistent. I do find it funny that all the others besides Morgana 'overslept' after I woke them early two days in a row. Yesterday they never really settled down after being disturbed, whereas today they went back to sleep quick. Guess they were still worn out from the day before.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/30/16 09:35 PM

Okay, Gwyn seems upset at me. She refused any petting, took only one yogurt drop & refused any more & a pineapple treat (her top two favorites), & in general avoided me. Seriously, how many of you have experienced a glider that is that jealous of her cage mates? My readings would make it seem this is abnormal... is it?

Or am I completely misreading her somehow? I'm open to that possibility, but I don't know how else to interpret her actions. She goes out of her way to get my attention when she doesn't have it & acts out if I don't give it to her... at least that is how it appears to me. Thoughts?

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/31/16 11:15 AM

Hutch hey.
I am always second guessing myself as to whether an animal is actually exhibiting a behavior because of *my* reasons, or its reasons.
Logically it seems impossible to me that an animal--even the amazing Sugar Glider--could grasp--much less participate in--social snubbing. Not like humans do.

But that same logic would also dictate that they don't revenge-bite, poop in your coffee, or the myriad of other things we see them do. They sure seem to know how to punish us on more than a physical level.

I can't speak to jealousy specifically--mine don't exactly fight over me--but for some reason, you are on her poop list.

Yogurt conquers all... :-)

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 03/31/16 01:16 PM

Maybe it's her time of the month... Mine will love and cuddle (it's rare but Dot too!) And then become nippy and ignore me for a few days. About the time I give them space, it gets a bit worse (I think because they think I am ignoring them), and I have to start over. I'm seeing a pattern, but haven't kept track, just started writing on the calendar. Since I have 2 girls, they seem to be in a bad mood at the same time. There is also a lot of scuffle in the pouch about mid day around this time.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 04/02/16 12:31 AM

Tucker could be a grumpy bugger if I didn't spend enough time with the little monster, but then Tucker was Tucker.

No glider is every going to fill his shoes. He was my little side kick, partner in crime.......................

But you would never believe how much of a little terrorist he was when he came to me. Tucker was gifted to me by our late beloved KarIn. She was receiving Chemo treatments when Tucker came OOP and she couldn't socialize him. I received my choice out of 3 different gliders and chose Tucker.

That little fatboy would stand up and swat at me. The bites I took, don't get me started there, I could pick him up by his teeth! They were buried in my finger of course.

I only got about 4 years with him before KarIn called him to be with her in heaven. But it only took me a year to make a bra baby out of him. Something I didn't think that little monster would ever turn out to be.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 04/03/16 02:32 PM

Tucker could be a grumpy bugger if I didn't spend enough time with the little monster, but then Tucker was Tucker.

No glider is every going to fill his shoes. He was my little side kick, partner in crime......................

I miss his stories... Feather, you should write an ebook... I wish I were a glider slave sooner and shared in some of the early fun!

That little fatboy would stand up and swat at me. The bites I took, don't get me started there, I could pick him up by his teeth! They were buried in my finger of course.

:rofl2: hug2 Thanks for sharing! I would so read your book!

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 04/04/16 07:57 PM

Thank you Dave & Dawn, I appreciate your insights.

And thank you, Kimberly, I really enjoyed reading the tales of Tucker I was able to find when I first started lurking here.

It wasn't a long night, but I got to interact with all my gliders at least a little. It started with Morgana wanting to come out. She made it a flying leap through the opening as soon as the door was ajar. Merlin was just coming out & didn't want to deal with me yet. Arthur & Gwynevere were groggily squinting at me from the top of their pouch, but didn't want anything more than a quick head scratch. So off Morgana was with me to play smile

We did a bunch of jumping exercises. Her aim does not seem to be improving much, hehe. I have a few scratches to prove her scrambles for a perch. Got a pretty good toenail to the eye on one leap that missed my head. Still, I had fun. Pretty sure she did too. I got plenty of steaks & pops per yogurt treat, something she earned every few jumps back to me. After she seemed to grow tired of that, I let her choose a fruit treat & chow down on it (dried coconut).

When I went back to the cage to check on the others, Gwyn came crawling to the door. I let her out & Merlin came to investigate. After dancing around my attempts to give him a scratch, he jumped to me. I spent the next 20min or so with my gliders jumping from me, to the cage or nearby bookcase, them back again. Sometimes I would let them off inside near their food, but they still came back out to me.

At the start of the night, Morgana didn't want anything to do with my hands or fingers, but near the end of the night I was able to scoop her put as easily as Gwyn. Depending on the angle, I sometimes had to pick them up & still had little to no trouble. Was so nice.

Arthur took some convincing to become interactive. I'd give him a couple pets or a head scratch. He'd reach around & grab on to the finger(s) & not want to let go. He also didn't want to let go of the cage, either, even when I had three of his paws holding me. Still, he did deem to crawl on me a little & briefly. Mostly just likes grabbing a hold & licking me.

I did get a few nibble from about all of them, but nothing more than a tasting. I returned all of them to the cage for a final time in a very good mood (speaking for myself). They seemed happy with the last 'thanks for playing/goodnight' yoggie.

Hope all of you got to have some fun unwinding time with your '77 grams of drier lint' (thanks Dave, hehehe). Good night!

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 04/08/16 08:29 AM

Last night was fun!

It all started with Gwynevere wanting to cuddle. That's all I can really describe it as... she calmly came to the door, crawled on to my offered hand up to my chest, then just hung out there while I pet her. Then again, it might be she was still waking up, hehehe.

The others slowly made their appearance. One by one they came to join Gwyn: first Morgana, then Merlin. Arthur kept coming over to investigate & perch on the door frame, but as normal, he was undecided if he wanting a ride.

The whole time I was trying to convince Arthur to come join us, the others were leaping off of me to my nearby display case or my wall-clock. I'd have to stop coaxing Arthur & go retrieve them when I'd hear the chewing >.<

Eventually, Arthur allowed himself to me scooped up. YAY!! Off we went, meandering all over my house with the occasional glider flying off at something interesting. I probably toured around with the whole colony for an hour cloud9

Merlin didn't know what to make with my stair's hand railing; he just clung to it once he landed there. I left him to figure it out, but he looked nervous like he didn't know what to do next; his ears were down. Morgana loves the railing, so I placed her on it so 'show' him; no effect. I went back to Merlin and tried just gently petting him so he'd relax or try to squirm away (the latter being his normal reaction). He just clung there, but at least his ears came back up. After maybe 8 or 9 minutes after him wrapped around the railing, I tickled his paws to get him to let go them scooped him back up. Another night, maybe.

Gwynevere liked jumping to the floor and hopping off everywhere she could. She'd make sure I'd see her, then scurry away tail high while I walked after her. Once she reached a dead end, Gwyn would wait until I scooped her up. I really believe she thinks it a game. Silly glider. She did give me lots of opportunities to pet her & especially scratch her rear... she apparently likes that since she halts whenever I do & doesn't move again until I stop.

Morgana just explored EVERYWHERE she could reach. Even the floor. What was cute was how I'd reclaim her. Once I'd get near-ish, rather than just sit there like Gwyn, she'd get a hopping start then leap on to me. It was like "Oh, there you are, I've been looking for you, weeee."

Arthur... made his way around me & accepted much petting, but otherwise no real stories to tell. I was happy I was able to get him to spend time on me. Though, I swear, he produces more *ahem* 'waste' than the other three combined shakehead

Near the end of our playtime (papa-tree needs sleep), I gave them a couple yoggies each. Merlin & Morgana made some loud happy-popping noises. They were clearly unsatisfied with only two each, though, as all of them kept going to my hands & fingers looking for another. When they didn't find one apparent, they tried to nibble or dig for more (really, not how it works fuzzbutts). I might have to save those for the very end of the night.

Well, shortly after I returned tried to return them to their cage. All of them acted like they wanted more time out, even Arthur, but I eventually managed to corral them... well, most. Gwyn was quite insistent she wasn't going anywhere. Even scooping her up & dumping her on a hammock, she was back on me before I could close the door. Hard to complain about that. I have each of them a dried fruit treat (Gwyn took hers perched on my arm) as a 'thanks for playing.' Another five or se minutes of me petting Gwyn while she nibbled away seemed to satisfy her; she allowed me to return her to their wheel after that.

So, yeah, fun night with all four. Much happiness :lshower:

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 04/08/16 10:04 AM

Great update man.
I am living vicariously through your life.
It's interesting how they nip or dig for more yogis when the well runs dry. Possibly just their instinctive reaction to running out--dig for more sap!

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 04/12/16 09:05 AM

This update will cover the weekend through yesterday, so it may be a bit long. You have been warned wink

Friday night, three of the four were happy to join me for exploring the house. Gwynevere, for the most part, kept scurrying from one hand to a leg, then to the other hand, & back to a leg. Frequently going down my back. She did not want to hold still that night come pets or butt scratches unless I gave her a treat. THAT she could stop for, LOL.

Morgana was doing her normal jumping for everything & coming back routine. Was still being hand-shy all night, but didn't mind if I played with her tail. Merlin would follow her around when she was on me, but didn't want to jump off unless it was to the cage. He didn't want in, but wasn't inclined to explore anywhere new.
Saturday I fed them early as I was going to be out late. They were all back in their pouch at 0100 when I came home, which is a bit strange. Normally, at least a couple are still out frolicking about (or whatever it is gliders do when we're not watching). Their food was partially eaten, so I wasn't too worried, just hid a couple treats around their cage for when them work up again.
Sunday I was home all day & decided I wanted to work with one again. So, out the sleeping pouch & bonding pouch came, & the first in became my 'victim' for the day. It was Morgana.

At first I couldn't get her to settle down despite being mid-day. Running, jumping, crawling, scurrying everywhere! I tried to wear her out, letting her explore where she wants in the house, but after about half an hour she stopped coming back to me & was making a be-line for the cage instead. I tried to put her in the bonding pouch, but even that wasn't working well.

I did get he in there to stay after about 15min of games & zipped it closed. I tried cupping my hand around the outside so she wouldn't isolated, but she tried to bite me through the pouch. I switched to very gentle petting which allowed her to settle down. When she stopped moving, I put on a movie, carefully cupped her, & tried not to move much (at least until my food came). (That's when I discovered she does NOT like my doorbell! I haven't heard a crab in over a month!)

I took the opportunity to turn the pouch around so the window was facing out (I normally start with it facing me as they seem to settle down faster when it is darker). I ate my lunch while she Morgana quieted again. She also taught me that she does not like me to clear my throat... I got more crabbing from that than the doorbell!

About the time I started the next movie, I slipped my hand in to the pouch. At first she seemed fine with that, I cupped her like another glider. About 10 or so minutes later, Morgana started nibbling on the skin between my thumb & pointer finger. So I adjusted & spoke softly to her letting her know it was just me... *CHOMP* I managed not to jerk out, but petted her a couple more times before withdrawing my hand to see the damage. Yup, thumb was bleeding slightly.

Being stubborn, I slowly put my hand back in to some crabbing, this time using Dave's "The Fist." She stopped crabbing & started licking for a moment. Then nibbling. Then outright chewing on a knuckle. I kept trying to adjust my hand so a new spot was near her (spread the wealth), tssk'ing away to no effect; she had chosen her target. In the end, I used that hand to roll her over & scratch her belly to cover up my "tactical regroup" in the hopes that she wouldn't think she won. Yup, yup, middle knuckle was bleeding too *sigh*

I petted her a little more keeping it short & gentle, then returned her to the cage with a treat. Not the best of times. I really didn't expect that from her, she's been so quite & attentive lately. I guess she's not ready to sleep on her own with me yet.

Gwyn wanted to come out later than night, but no one else. A little playing, a lot of exploring, & even managed to pet her for a while as she settled under my chin. That was at least a good time & she went back to the cage easily.
It was a little later when I got home last night. Morgana made a flying leap at me from out of the cage as I pulled out their food dish, so I guess all was forgiven, lol. Gwyn also came to join her in a little more of a dignified way (aka, a *plop* from above). Arthur only stared from his pouch & Merlin only wanted to sniff me. Oh, well. I was able to give each of the a piece of asparagus from my hand that all four happily took before placing their dish in to the cage.

The sisters & I went all over the house doing basic chores, milling around, or getting distracted by my phone. When I would, they're either come over to poke the screen, try to eat a credit card or the case itself, or bail off of me & go exploring. They kept finding their way to my bedroom *face palm*. When Morgana would see me coming, she'd make a hopping run for me & a flying leap back aboard. Gwyn would see me, stop running around, & wait until I was near her before jumping on to my leg. Still, better than having to play catch the glider, hehe.

I did bring them in to my large bathroom & let them explore a little. When they both ended up on the bathtub edge, I couldn't help but to give them a gentle poke & watch them slide in... several times. The indignant looks I got! HAHAHA. Here are a couple picture I was able to finally capture. My gliders seem to know the difference between messaging on my phone & trying to take their picture. The former they jump off & move away ("I'm bored!!") while the latter then jump on with their pouch (or belly) covering the lens. "WE do not allow our pictures taken" like they're royalty or som... oh. Guess that is my fault... next glider is getting named after a model.

Morgana was a bit nippy last night. Specifically my ears. When play time was over, it wasn't too difficult getting them back in to the cage. Morgana did want to jump back to me, but didn't fight my blocking her like she normally does. Gwyn just gave me a quick nip to express her displeasure then jumped to a hammock. Treats for everyone & a 'good night.'
Well, that about catches y'all up on the latest happenings about the Round Table. Now everyone go & pet your crazy fuzzies, Arthur has decreed.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 04/12/16 09:02 PM

Well, tonight started with only Morgana wanting to come out & play... Gwyn was too interested in the strawberries, Arthur was still asleep, & Merlin still just wanted to munch on a finger.

Morgana rode around as I did various things around the house. If she jumped off & I started to walk away, she'd come bounding back to me. I allowed her to try & nest in one of my towels. She seemed to be getting quite frustrated that she couldn't find the opening. After maybe half an hour I took her back to the cage. She was a little resistant, but nothing bad, and once she saw the fruit she was done with me.

But, Gwynevere decided it was her turn. As Morgana jumped off, Gwyn jumped on. So, same thing, carrier her around for a while, but she didn't really seem interested in much besides the ride. Well, besides my hats that she discovered last night. So, I sat down & let her pick a treat out of the big ol'tub of of dried fruit. She perched on my arm & ate away for a while, then I tried to return her.

This is where things went a little south.

Gwyn did not want to go back in. She avoided it by jumping to the back side of the cage & nipping at me as I tried to scoop her up. Also, not that the door was open, Morgana came came out. As I'm still trying to retrieve Gwyn, she decides my ear looks yummy. So, my new priority is getting her back in, earning me more than one good bite. It took multiple attempts (& bites) as they kept working together to get out before I closed the door with all four gliders 'home.' *sigh* It was so pleasant up until the last eight or so minutes.

I go upstairs & lay down... just to have one of them start barking like crazy! After several minutes I get a little worried since this is much too early for their normal barking. I go down & its Gwyn (not surprising) & she doesn't want to stop again. I open the door, pet her, talk to her, nothing. Merlin & her were sitting on the same hammock. He kept trying to grab my finger with his paws then bite me. He tried to play it off as grooming, but a moment later... lost some more skin to him.

Arthur was sitting quietly for a change, so I gave him some petting too, but her soon retreated to the pouch. Trying to pet his head in there earned me a few nibbles; I guess he's in a mood.

So, I went back to trying to consul Gwynevere about whatever got her worked up to still be barking away. She finally stops, grabs my finger, sniffs it... *NOM!* Yeah, ouch, she managed to get under the nail. Still stings. They definitely seem to go through phases on how bite they are. Unfortunately, they're getting bigger, their bites stronger, & my fingers stay the same. :tant2:

I did manage to get a couple more pictures today :jump2:

Gwyn: "This hat is a little big for me."

Me: "Gwyn, you're getting a little chubby. Less yoggies, more wheel."
Gwyn: "Should we get your second chin's opinion on that?"

Morgana: "Your big fluffy pouch doesn't open right."

Morgana: "You left a little supper on your leg, let me just clean that up for you."

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 04/13/16 01:13 PM

Haha! Awesome man. Love the pics. All that biting doesn't sound good though. Sorry about that...I feel your pain there.

This is going to sound gross but...
After handling mealworms, I have taken to rubbing my fingertips with rubbing alcohol to kill the scent of the worm.
Barring that, I stick 'em in the ash tray. (the fingers, not the worms).
Maybe something on your fingers that they can smell, that we can't?

Also...and forgive me in advance---this is me talking above my game here, but...

What if you tried changing the bedtime ritual a little?

Try pulling their sleeping pouch out of the cage and offering it to them before bed. See if some or all will get in...or can be *lured* in. Then put the whole pouch of them in together.
Just thinking that if the evening ritual of "going to bed" is starting to become a negative for them, they might be getting more resistant to it, and are acting out with the biting. (teenagers!)
A hail-mary guess. My problems are more around getting them to come OUT of the cage.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 04/13/16 09:25 PM

Dave, you might be on to something concerning the routine; its hard to tell. Unfortunately, it seems to happen in phases & I'm having trouble figuring our the rhythm even looking back. I do wash my hands all the time, so I don't *believe* its a lingering scent; even tried different soaps just in case. Worth thinking about further, in any case.

Maybe changing the ritual is along the right track. Let me make sure I understand your suggestion: When they're on me crawling around & its bed time, I their sleeping pouch from the cage to offer it to them in order to see if they'll crawl in? Did I understand you correctly?

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 04/14/16 12:54 AM

Yeah...maybe lure them with treats into the bag. Then place the whole bag back in the cage while they are eating the treats.

The next time they look up, they are in the cage. Minimal conflict bedtime.

I know what you mean about phases. Trying to crack the bite-code. I never let them grab my fingers anymore--that is like them tee'ing up for a long drive. I feel like when they grab my fingers they are thinking, HAPPY-HAPPY YUMMY TREAT! MUST BE INSIDE THIS FLESHY MEATBAG!
Posted By: EnzoAndCarmella

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 04/15/16 03:30 PM

I've had a lot of fun reading your posts! Your gliders all sound like quite the handful.

With you being USAF you must be either really lucky or some fancy-pancy officer or something to be able to have gliders! wink

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 04/15/16 11:56 PM

Dave, I tried your suggestion last night... apparently they're too smart for that. Morgana & Gywnevere either completely avoided it, reached in & pulled out the treats, or just clung to the outside until the pouch was inside the cage & ran back up my arm. Brats.

Gwyn, Gwyn, Gwyn shakehead

So, after I finished changing their bedding, Gwynevere decided she wanted to go for a ride. Well, I was still trying to get things ready since I had a date & didn't know how long I'd be out. So, of course, she decides I'm being boring & jumps off every two or three minutes to go explore. Gwyn would go up the stairs, or down the stairs, or around to the living room, always leading me on a chase until deciding she was tired of hopping along. Then back to me, ride back to the kitchen where I was trying to prepare their dinner, get bored... rinse & repeat. What should have taken five minutes was closer to 15. Then there was getting her back in to the cage since she apparently wasn't done exploring. Yeah, I was running late to my date. Probably lost some brownie points there.

Fast forward to after dinner. The lady is going to come over because we discovered over dinner a mutual love of cribbage. I have about half an hour before she'll arrive & Gwyn was making squeaky noises whenever I'd walk by. So, I allow her back out thinking I let her run around more. Instead, she just chills on me looking half-asleep. Crawls around me some, learns the shirt I was wearing had a pocket on my chest, & curls up there for quite a while. I really kept thinking she was going to fall asleep heart Then Gwyn started trying to eat my shirt ohwell When she got tired of me discouraging that, she CHOMPED my nipple through the shirt: OW-OW-OW-OW!!! Right about then, the door bell ringss which scares her out of the pocket & on to my shoulder. Well, it stopped the biting.

I let my lady-friend in & she immediately spots Gwyn peaking over my shoulder. Much ooo'ing & aww'ing with Gwyn being surprisingly cooperative, especially since my fur-babies haven't met anyone since coming to me. She accepts quite a bit of petting, head scratches, & chin scratches, even lets my lady play with her tail. I took her over to see the other gliders & Gwyn actually jumps TO her, no prompting... color me shocked. Mind you, the moment I moved even a step away, she was back on me, but still. I got MAJOR brownie points back because of Gwyn. She got two yoggies for her 'assistance.' grin I almost (almost) forgot out the nipple-chomp (in case I didn't mention it: OOWW!!).

My lady actually went out of her way to ask their names again & say goodnight to each of my gliders before she left (after skunking me at a game of cribbage, I can't remember the last time someone managed that!). Tonight was good!

Originally Posted By: EnzoAndCarmella
I've had a lot of fun reading your posts! Your gliders all sound like quite the handful.

With you being USAF you must be either really lucky or some fancy-pancy officer or something to be able to have gliders! wink

Thank you, I really appreciate hearing that Enzo & Carmella! They can definitely be a handful, but a mostly entertaining one. Wouldn't dream of going back & changing anything. Well, maybe starting with my current cage...

While I do feel lucky to share my home with these four crazy bundles of joy, I must disagree with your statement that the AF would be an issue. Short of being assigned to one of the few places they're not legal, they'll be able to follow me as I move. They're also not so expensive that my enlisted paycheck can't manage them... my last dog cost me more in six months than these babies have, even with being on my third cage.

Re: Glider of the Round Table - 04/16/16 12:12 AM

Well, ladies, gents, & gliders of all colors... this will mark the 100th post for this thread; also known as 'the limit.' I've started a new thread & plan to pick up right where this one leaves off. Thanks for sticking with me this far & I look forward to continuing this journey with all of you!

The saga continues in 'Gliders of the Round Table 2.'
© 2019 GliderCENTRAL