GliderCENTRAL

Shipping

Posted By: Erica111412

Shipping - 01/31/16 08:42 PM

Does anybody know of a way to save on shipping a glider? The charge is $210 and kust wondering if anybody knows of any coupons or help you could get to help with the cost
Posted By: Feather

Re: Shipping - 01/31/16 10:51 PM

Not that I know of, each breeder bases their charges on cost of container, mileage, actual shipping cost.

Re: Shipping - 01/31/16 11:20 PM

Ok and how long does it normally take for them to be shipped? Is it usally a over night thing? Mine are coming internationally from nigeria
Posted By: nicoleejeanne

Re: Shipping - 02/01/16 02:25 AM

Have you considered looking closer to where you are located? I live in NY and have a breeder who is shipping my glider to me from SC for $150. There's reasonable breeders all over and I'm sure shipping will cost more if done internationally. Have you tried the pet glider? If you buy one of their retired gliders shipping is free. Some people have gone through them and I've heard excellent things.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Shipping - 02/01/16 02:48 AM

From Nigeria?!?

Did you send them money?

This just screams scam to me, big time!

I hope you didn't send them money, if you did contact your bank right away.

There a lots of breeders here in the US, gliders aren't normally imported anymore.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Shipping - 02/01/16 04:02 AM

I have to agree with Feather/Kimberly about gliders coming from Nigeria screaming scam.

How in the world did you even find a breeder in Nigeria or did they find you?

The bigger question for me is why would you even consider such a purchase?

Re: Shipping - 02/01/16 01:50 PM

I found her ad in miama then when she emailed back she said she moved to cameroon. Im realizing now its a scam she claimed they were bout april 2012 but in her email she said 18 weeks old. I also checked Google for the pics she sent me and one is on a glider fun pic page basically. Im about to let her know what i think. I came so close to sending these people money. I thought i had finally lucked up. I dont have alot of money to put towards the purchase and hers were suppisedly free to a good home just pay shipping. Me and my daughter got so excited. Thats awful people do that and lie like that. I really appreciate you guys helping me understand its a scam before i paid her. Then i really couldnt afford to buy a legit glider. Close call for sure! Thanks you guys
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Shipping - 02/01/16 02:56 PM

If you're trying to save a bit & don't mind a little older gliders, check out The Pet Glider. I think (not 100% sure) they have free or reduced shipping on their retirees. I've seen a couple in the past that were only a few years old.

Re: Shipping - 02/01/16 04:30 PM

There are plenty of rescues out there, probably even some in your area if you check your local ads. You just need to be patient and watch.

Anytime you have questions about something you find, feel free to ask here.

We certainly will not give you bad information shakehead

:sorry: if we came down a little hard on you, however, wanted to make sure you got the message of a scam before sending money agree

Re: Shipping - 02/01/16 05:31 PM

Oh no im certainly glad you guys told me. Its a shame people have to take advantage of somebody like that. Ill check them out and see if theres any available on there. Thanks so much you guys for all your help

Re: Shipping - 02/01/16 09:38 PM

One more question about shipping. Do you normally send money for this or do you pay the airport when you pick up your gliders?
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Shipping - 02/02/16 04:54 AM

If you are dealing with a reputable breeder, you will need to pay for the shipping when you purchase the gliders.

The breeder will need to pay for the shipping before the airline will accept the gliders for transport.

The breeder should be able to give you a flight number and instructions on where to pick up the gliders at the airport before they are sent on the way to you. Keep in mind that not all airlines ship gliders and those that do may not have flights to the airport that is closest to you so there may be a drive involved to get to the airport where they will arrive.

Before you purchase gliders that needs to be shipped to you, you might look for breeders or someone rehoming their gliders closer to home that would allow you to pick them up.
Posted By: Hamby360

Re: Shipping - 02/02/16 10:37 AM

Also be very careful of "free, just pay shipping" ads in the U.S. too, I've known of several people (myself included) that have found the same ad on Craigslist for "free to a good home, just pay shipping. I'm giving up my gliders due to divorcing recently and needing to move in with my mother. No calls as I am deaf, text only" is the gist of the ad and then she will tell you she is out of Philadelphia and all you have to do is pay to ship them to you....but if you've never shipped them before she wants to make the arrangements with the pet shippers (who will deliver them to your door. All you need to do is give her your credit card information and she will take care of everything.

Re: Shipping - 02/02/16 07:16 PM

Quote:
who will deliver them to your door.

This line is the big SCAM RED FLAG.

Airlines will not deliver the gliders to you any more than they would give you a car to get from the airport to your destination.

Re: Shipping - 02/02/16 11:36 PM

Ive seen alot of places saying they could ship for $125 extra. Which company does this? Every airline ive called have given me a $200 quote

Re: Shipping - 02/03/16 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Erica111412
Ive seen alot of places saying they could ship for $125 extra. Which company does this? Every airline ive called have given me a $200 quote

Where were the places you saw saying they would ship for $125?

As posted, it is up to the breeder/seller NOT the purchaser to make the shipping arrangements.

Re: Shipping - 02/03/16 09:38 AM

No kidding! She wasn't saying the airline would, she was trying to say there was a pet delivery service that worked with the airline. It even had a website, three different ones actually. The second she started talking about that and needing personal information from me I knew it was a scam.

Re: Shipping - 02/03/16 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Hamby360
No kidding! She wasn't saying the airline would, she was trying to say there was a pet delivery service that worked with the airline. It even had a website, three different ones actually. The second she started talking about that and needing personal information from me I knew it was a scam.

Where is that in this thread? Did I completely miss it? I have gone back and cannot find any mention of what you posted, Hamby.

Re: Shipping - 02/03/16 05:58 PM

Sorry I wasn't being very clear lol. The lady in the Craigslist scam. That is what I was talking about. I thought maybe I had just found the scam ad until several other members of another site I'm on commented that they too had run into it as well! Which is why I said anything about it at all. It was pretty far spread and with tax season coming into play I bet that lady starts running her ad again. She is really good at sounding very legitimate, phone number coming from each area she says she is from, she will tell you she is going to be using one of three pet shipping agencies that all have working websites and seem above board...until she starts asking to use your credit card information to make the arrangements since you have never done it before. At that point you know 100% it is a scam because there is zero need for you to EVER give that information to someone when you can use the website to do it yourself, but up until then.... I can see how she would be able to get a LOT of money from people looking for sugar gliders. She says she has three, a mosaic, a lue and a white face, and has a picture (easy to pull off of google I know)

Re: Shipping - 02/03/16 06:02 PM

Aahhh, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I thought I had completely missed something in the thread.

Re: Shipping - 02/03/16 06:22 PM

Lol no I'm sorry that was my fault for not being clear enough!

Re: Shipping - 02/04/16 12:00 AM

Ok so i think ive finally found the gliders that will work out for me. I need help getting them from Fayetteville to asheville NC. Its alot shorter than maine lol. Can anybody help?

Re: Shipping - 02/04/16 12:24 AM

The facebook page "sugar glider guardians" is a good place to look for help like that! I haven't seen much by way of railroads on here (but it is quite possible i have just missed it)

Re: Shipping - 02/04/16 04:07 PM

The trip you are talking about, Fayetteville, NC to Ashville, NC at the most would be around 4 1/2 hours.

Why not arrange to meet the seller halfway? If you don't drive, get a friend to drive you.

Re: Shipping - 02/05/16 02:39 PM

So i had to share the good news. I finally found a female glider that a half hr away from me! Shes on hold until i get there! Im so excited!!! Thank you guys for all the advice

Re: Shipping - 02/05/16 03:34 PM

clap Can't wait to see pictures.

Re: Shipping - 02/05/16 07:29 PM

Can a glider rip through a screen door?
Posted By: Philwojo

Re: Shipping - 02/05/16 08:13 PM

I would say yes, especially if there nails haven't been trimmed in a while. Also, even if they don't rip it they could get caught on it and hurt themselves. Why do you ask?

Re: Shipping - 02/05/16 08:51 PM

I have a screen door and screens on my windows and wasnt sure if the glider flew to it if it could grab it or if it would rip through it

Re: Shipping - 02/07/16 03:42 AM

It would probably be better safe than sorry - to close the windows and solid door when your gliders are out of the cage.

The screen will probably hold but if it is old screen it may be brittle and could be snagged by glider nails or teeth ripping a hole that might easily expand to glider escape size.

Many folks do outfit an interior doorway with a screen door to keep the gliders in a room but still be able to see them while they play. The space under the door needs to be blocked to prevent gliders from slipping underneath. In this case, if they get out of the room they are still inside the house. A screen door leading out side would not be safe if the gliders should get through.

Re: Shipping - 02/08/16 03:37 PM

That makes sense and that was what i was thinking is maybe they could tear through. One more question, : ) when bringing a four month old female home what should i know that i probably havent heard or seen yet? I have the bonding pouch and were all carrying fleece around to have our smells on it before she gets here. Any suggestions?

Re: Shipping - 02/08/16 10:14 PM

Are you getting only one glider? If at all possible try to get 2 gliders from the same breeder or previous owner that have already been cage mates.

This will eliminate the need for a second cage and full set up when you do eventually get a second glider. A 30 day quarantine is recommended with vet checks to make sure the second glider is healthy - BEFORE you can even begin introductions. This doubles the cost of having 2 gliders over getting them together in the first place.

When you first bring your gliders home - give them a few days to just settle into your home before trying to handle them. Remember - EVERYTHING in their world will have changed - new sights, sounds, scents & different people. Give them your scented pieces of fleece and talk to them quietly to get them used to you but otherwise just let them settle in.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL