GliderCENTRAL

A great night...

Posted By: TwoDog

A great night... - 03/20/16 02:20 PM

An old friend came by to visit last night. We got some pizza and pulled out the sugar gliders. He had seen them once before, when I had first got them...they were very shy and wouldn't come out of the pouch then.
This time though...as long as I was kicking them out of the pouch I got some weights on them.

Harley 77g
Gizmo 116g

After some time they stopped nosing around for ways to get back in the pouch, and joined the party. This was my buddy's first real encounter with Gliders and I was hoping that they would be into the party, and not just try and hide.

A stranger in the house...dogs, music...how social would they be with all that going on?

As it happens, they were very social...they were running around the cage, jumping out of the cage....then running across the top of the couch over to the table, and BOING! They were jumping off me, off him, off the table, the cage, the dogs. They were jumping between us sometimes as well.
They were bouncing off my buddy, who couldn't stop laughing the whole time. He almost got face-hugged, but Gizmo couldn't quite maintain altitude for it.
Harley did nip him once--no blood--but I told him to keep his fingers away from their mouths, in case of exploration biting.

They did this for several hours! It was fantastic.

Word of the day: anthropomorphize. It's something I catch myself doing sometimes...

"Hmm...that animal really seemed to deliberately look me in they eye and then purposefully poop in my coffee? As punishment?" NO...it's an animal....right?

I always catch myself--"Is that real? Or am I assigning MY thoughts, desires and emotions to it?

Because here's one: Harley was punishing me last night. I forced them to wake up and she hates that. She was having fun--but she was cranky at ME for getting them up early.

Because three times she ran across the table and bit my finger--aggressively. Sometimes holding on with her hands and being dragged across the tabletop as she tries to sink her teeth in. A moment later, she was back to playing. Happily bouncing, eating yogurt and applesauce, then off again.

It was even a good night for the dog-bonding side of things. Gizmo and Harley are now pretty fearless with the dogs. More than once, Chelsea had both of them on her back--and they weren't in a hurry to get off.

<subtitled>

"Cheep-Cheep-Squeak-Bark-bark-hiss..."
<This one goes fast! Very smooth ride!>

"Bark-hiss-hiss, Cheep, Bark-hiss!"
<Good visibility! And look at this upholstery!>

"Cheep-Cheep-Squeak, hiss hiss bark, Chirp, warble, hiss, financing."***
<Yes. You can really get your claws into it. Let's see if they have financing.>

Harley and Gizmo have dog-surfed before, and it always makes my heart jump. When it happens, I try and move smoothly and quickly and start scratching Chelsea's head to calm her. (also gives me some control over where her snoot is pointing if she tries to take a snap)
All for naught though. They were on her, under her climbing around her. She is calm even when they crawl up the back of her neck.
So Chelsea was getting serious glider love too.

And through all of this jumping and shenanigans they were launching and even landing on bare HANDS.
Been hitting the sleepover thing hard, and it's paying off I guess...because my hands have always been the limit before.

So a really great glider night--had to share.

Now it's time to feed my flesh to Gizmo until he's too tired to bite.

Happy Glider-ing all!

***NOTE: Sugar gliders do not have a word for "financing"
Posted By: Hutch

Re: A great night... - 03/20/16 10:49 PM

:thumb2:
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL