GliderCENTRAL

Gliders of the Round Table 3

Posted By: Hutch

Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/17/16 11:49 PM

Once upon a midnight moon, four not-so-silent, furry, & ridiculously cute critters played in the night...

Another post hit 100 entries, so now begins the third installment in the saga of my crazy quartet. If you're new to my suggies legend, please see the first two installments (while they last): Chapter One ; Chapter Two .

I look forward to continuing this journey, sharing my thoughts & questions, & just generally get to know of community while y'all get to know my colony. Happy reads!

PS: Yes, I know I'm overdue for pictures... they're coming, soon agree

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/18/16 07:10 PM

Okay, not a real update, just was looking back at some of my old posts & realized something interesting. Part 1 has almost 20K views right now after 100 replies, while Part 2 somehow managed 102 replies yet only has nearly 8K views. So what did I conclude from this?

I told Gwynevere she wasn't drawing in an audience anymore. :lol:
She bit me. :hit:
Are y'all sure they don't understand English? I frequently wonder with her. :pointlaugh:

I also conclude more pictures are needed & not taking several months off, which should make Gwyn's admirers happy. Those left, anyways wink

& the little turd peed on me as I typed that last part... she can read too? I know Gwyn thinks she can type, she has been trying to help me this whole post. Need to work on her spelling. Time to put her back in the cage for dinner ohwell
Posted By: Temulin

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/19/16 02:30 PM

Gwyn! Such attitude! I will forever be her fan. I can't help loving mischievous critters. I think Gwyn needs to step it up for her loyal followers though. I demand more suggie pictures of the Camelot crew.

Incidentally, are sugar gliders common in Germany or do people know what your critters are? I guess even here most people have no clue what they are buuut just curious haha. I have gotten used to the whole "he's SO CUTE......... *awkward pause* what is he?" thing.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/19/16 02:47 PM

So, after returning Gwyn as I stated about & putting food in the cage, she led a little revolt. She basically formed conga line of gliders jumping to me as I tried to put another back so they would eat. I eventually gave up & let them stay out. Nothing special, just the usual running around & playing on me & furniture... & Gwyn peed on me TWICE more. I guess I still wasn't forgiven for my earlier comments. (Again, I can't help thinking she understands me better that I gave her credit, even if it is only by tone.)

There was one exception to a good playtime...
Merlin had another (panic/seizure/something). He was on my shoulder & I tickled the front foot closest to me. He allowed it for a second or two, then suddenly yanked it away as his tail went straight. Merlin then proceeded to move BOTH his front paws in a motion like he was grooming his face, but franticly & without touching himself. I could also see bubbles at his lips again as he started drooling. I've never seen a motion like this when he's exhibited signs in the past; always just locked up & shook.

I used a finger stretched under Merlin's jaw to intercept both paws hoping he'd just grab on & stop flaying about. It worked, he gripped had but it stopped. He was still drooling a lot & was starting to shake, so I used the same finger to scratch under his chin & another finger behind an ear. Merlin stopped shaking & drooling right away, but was still stiff. This was also the most drool I've seen him let out.

I slowly lowered my finger to my shirt sleeve & managed to carefully roll his paws off me so they were gripping my shirt instead. I started rubbing & scratching Merlin all over like a massage & tried to give his head & chin extra attention while talking to him. He relaxed, but still didn't want to move for a while after that. Even his colony mates coming near him made Merlin jump.

Merlin eventually made it up to my shoulders & kept tight against my neck always looking backwards... which led to his now upright tail constantly getting in my nose or mouth.

Won't lie, this scares me. Between Arthurs occasional breathy rasp/hiss when eating or first waking up, & Merlin's ongoing condition, I'll be making all four a vet appointment.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/19/16 03:43 PM

That was most definitely a seizure. I have one here that has them. When she has them I just pick her up, hold her close and slowly pet her head and talk softly to her.

She has several triggers. My first glider, Gizmo would have seizures if she got to excited, a good diet and feeding her something when I took her out ended those. She was on a poor diet when I got her.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/19/16 07:55 PM

Poor little Merlin! frown I've never experienced seizures in suggies, but my old cat had them and like Feather said, all I could really do was pet her and comfort her. I hope your little fluffball improves. That sounds scary.

Haha! Good luck to Gwyn and her army!

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/19/16 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Temulin
Gwyn! Such attitude! I will forever be her fan. I can't help loving mischievous critters. I think Gwyn needs to step it up for her loyal followers though. I demand more suggie pictures of the Camelot crew.

Incidentally, are sugar gliders common in Germany or do people know what your critters are? I guess even here most people have no clue what they are buuut just curious haha. I have gotten used to the whole "he's SO CUTE......... *awkward pause* what is he?" thing.

I mostly get that same "Awwww...what is that?" They're not common here, but they're present as there are a couple German forums I found... not that I understand much. No breeders I could find, though, hence shipping mine from TPG.

I'll see if I can get them to cooperate enough for me to get some good shots instead of the snapshots I've managed thus far.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/20/16 06:44 PM

Appointment made for Monday afternoon. Fingers crossed all goes well. Now to play with & feed the balls of lint that are barking to let me know they're awake.
Posted By: TwoDog

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/22/16 08:41 AM

Good luck at the vet! Let us know :-(

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/24/16 11:12 PM

Been sick all weekend, so not much to report besides daytime cuddle time when they felt like cooperating. A couple naps together even... when they would hold still. Sometimes mine decide that day or night, if they're out of the cage, it must be play time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The vet appointment wasn't anything decisive. For Gwyn & Arthur, I need to collect urine samples tomorrow to bring in (vet didn't want to needle it out). I think I might just pay for all four & bring in stools just for my piece of mind. This might get expensive.

For Merlin, the vet wants to give anti-seizure meds... but he doesn't really know what would be best. He also isn't 100% sure that is the best solution from the sounds of it as he brought up several other possible 'sources' of seizures. I meant to bring him a list of vets to consult with, but left it on my printer. I'll drop it off with the samples, I guess.

So, a few more days of worry is ahead for me all around my sick-let fur-babies.
------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news, I've finally come to the conclusion that Gwynevere seriously >HATES< bonding pouches. I cannot remember a time she has been calm for more than 15 minutes in a zippered pouch. Today, she was even trying to bite me (like mouth-wide full bite attempts) through the pouch... behavior I can't remember ever seeing from her. So much crabbing too. Does anyone have some suggestions on that one? Maybe a better category to post that question under if I should? Anything? For now, I think I'll be ordering the smallest glide-arium to transport them in... but I'd like more flexibility than that, especially for vet visits when I need to keep them separate.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/25/16 07:19 AM

Hutch hey...
Sorry you are under the weather.
Vet drama is no fun...so much worry...and money. :-(

As to the bonding pouch thing...
I would try some experiments...
Does she hate it more if she's alone in the pouch?
Does she hate THAT pouch? Or do you get a different reaction using another pouch?

How does she react in a pouch with NO window?

Just spitballin' but I would give those things a try.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/25/16 01:34 PM

Hutch, so sorry your fuzzbuts are not well.

I bought cat tags for each of mine via etsy with their name and oop date (month /year) stamped on them for vet purposes. Since mine are both standard greys, an outsider can't tell them apart.

I also made a pouch special for vet visits with two zippered pockets so I could keep them separate when the girls need some "down" time during exams, but I needed to grab the right one.

Fiona loves the vet and won't stay in the pouch and jumps out at every opportunity. Dot is exactly the opposite. She hates strange smells. But loves to be held by the vet. Fiona makes her rounds by jumping from the vet to her assistant to me and hubby, and repeat. It's her way of enjoying 4 human trees...

I hope all goes well for Arthur.

Maybe 4 zippered pouches in a glidarium?

But that may bee too much stress for Arthur. And Gwen may just not go for that at all.

Make sure what ever you do, you put your scent in the new/ strange pouch. It helps. Also I have learned they like going to something they have peed on. My gldarium has two pee streaks on it now and they practically jump in it. Blankies. Don't forget scented blankies.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/25/16 09:25 PM

Did he have a seizure at the vets?

I would try giving him something to eat when he first wakes up and see if you can rule out a low blood sugar seizure.

I guess I am just leery about giving anti-seizure medications without testing and ruling stuff out.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/25/16 10:21 PM

Kim, no, Merlin didn't. That would've been too convenient (as happy as I am for him just not to, of course). I'd prefer not having to medicate him either. The vet did mention low blood sugar, but I already keep a dry food in there all day & get their nightly food in before or shortly after they wake. He just prefers his wheel first & somethings me. I've been trying to encourage him to eat right away recently, though now I have extra motivation. Maybe the vets he consults will have other ideas.

Dawn, they each have their own pouch when I take them to the vets that I only wash when they really soil them. Which, honestly, is almost every time I take them to the vet. I like the car-tag idea, though, make them easier to sort as we're talking. In bright like I have a little trouble telling Morgana from Merlin, the difference in the patterns stand out to me much more in dim light (how I normally see them). If I flip them over, it is obvious, of course, lol.

Dave, I think it is the closed zipper aspect that she hates. If I wear her & leave it open, when remains calm. If I close it, the calmness is over once she figures that out.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I decided to make things easy & just emailed the consult list to my vet. I figure he'll have to email the vets anyways since all I saw were US ones.

Around 1700, I went to collect the specimens. I figured that was late enough they should be very ready to go. I was able to collect a decent amount of urine from Arthur. If the vet had wanted stool samples, he left me an impressive mound of those too. I keep saying he's just full of it.

Gwyn was just a twit. She was happy to leave behind a couple pellets, but 30 minutes of keeping her near or around the Tupperware, not a drop to be had. I did discover other things, like the whole gently swabbing her cloaca does not work on her, she does not like her belly being examined (thought I saw something), she will eventually calm down in cupped hands & start grooming, & she has enough restraint that she will wrap her whole month around a finger, but only use enough pressure as if to say 'I could do worse, I choose not too.' Three times. Oh, well, Gwyn doesn't seem too traumatized by the experience, she was taking treats from my fingers without issue tonight.

Arthur's sample is in the fridge, I guess I'll try for Gwyn's again tomorrow. She might just have to come to work with me. Now, if I could just carry their travel cage with one good shoulder.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/25/16 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Temulin
I have gotten used to the whole "he's SO CUTE......... *awkward pause* what is he?" thing.
So along these lines: I have talked with my Physical Therapist about these critters a couple times now. He told me today that over the weekend he'd visited his daughter who's getting her Masters Degree in Austria & brought my pets up. His daughter just had to google them. Here is the conversation after that point my doc shared with me:
Her: "He must be a very nice guy."
Him: "Why is that?"
Her: "These creatures are too adorable. Only a nice guy would take care of so many of these little ones."

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/26/16 12:36 AM

[/quote] Her: "These creatures are too adorable. Only a nice guy would take care of so many of these little ones." [/quote]

Awww how sweet! I knew there was something about you I liked! Lol! :rofl2: :roflmao2:

No , seriously... I hope everything works out and the fuzzies check out OK...

Hope you're feeling better soon too!

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/26/16 02:40 AM

Hutch does your bonding pouch have a window?

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/26/16 08:46 AM

Thanks, Dawn.

Kimberley, yes the bonding pouch has a window. I've been debating recently on getting her one without a window since the only time she seems calm in a closed pouch is in the extra-large one (no window) with the other three.

All four can fit in one of my 'normal' bonding pouches (they proved it to me shakehead ) but again, once she figured out it was closed she wasn't happy. It was less of a problem than when she's alone, but still she struggles.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/26/16 02:15 PM

She probably be happier with everyone stuffed in the same bonding pouch. Settling down and sleeping after a time.

Good Luck,

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/26/16 03:44 PM

Even alone, she settles down fine (after a bit) if I leave the pouch open. She is happier with someone sharing the pouch (apparently my hand doesn't count, lol), but the occasion time I need to keep them apart & zip her up... you'd think she was on death row.

There might not be a solution for this case, I can understand that. Luckily it's rare that I need to zip her up, much less alone, but I wanted to pick everyone's brain for ideas since I don't like her working herself up that up. Plus I doubt my pouches will last long the way she tears at them.

Maybe I'll try a few times with two of them & see of she calms down with it zipped... though I think it'll take a while. An experiment for another day, first I still need her pee.

Please keep the suggestions coming! Y'all have inspired some ideas to try already! Thank you :D

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/29/16 09:29 AM

I think Gwynevere discovered she likes belly scratches. This morning as I was playing with them in their cage (through the door, no I don't fit :P) whenever I'd cup her & start scratching, she'd roll over. It was too cute. Now if I could only teach her to pee on command. I've still been unable to collect a sample shakehead

Arthur & Merlin kept trying to hide in the pouch, but 'the hand' would find them there too, lol. I know they didn't mind, every time I removed my hand, their heads would immediately pop out & stay there until I went to pet them again.

Morgana spent most of the time playing keep-away or tag. She would run around staying away until she found a space to tuck her head. Then when I would touch her tail or scratch her butt, she'd turn around & grab my finger with a lick, then sprint off again.

Man,how they started barking when I stopped & closed the door. After 5 minutes solid, I came back gave them each another quick pet & a treat. That quieted them enough I was able to go to sleep. One ball of dryer lint barking is easy to ignore, most of my quartet bellowing for that long triggers my paranoia.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/29/16 11:30 AM

Well Mary is here for the weekend with her 21 gliders, 15 are in the bedroom with us. Mary sleeps on an air mattress by the window.

Well her gliders bark, and bark and bark and bark.

The ones in the room with us would start then the ones in the glider room would chime in.

When she is not hear I might have one that will yap a couple times and that is it, these guys go on for hours.

I really think that when Mary is at home she sleep walks when they bark and gives them all treats.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/29/16 11:49 AM

It must have been a night for barking. I think Dot and Fiona took turns...

Feather maybe Mary's gliders were sharing their "song" of their travels to everyone...

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/29/16 04:01 PM

It was a new moon. Factor, maybe?

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/29/16 04:08 PM

Okay, advice time again:

After a week of trying, I think Gwyn is getting frustrated with me waking her to place her on a Tupperware container. Sure, she gets 15 minutes or so of petting & treats out of it to keep her in place as long as possible (about 15 mins is what's possible). Today, she left her 'presents' as she normally does, took about 5 minutes of the normal routine... then jumped to the hand holding a treat, leapt to my chest & peed, jumped into the cage to finally drive into their pouch.

My next step will be to close her in a larger Tupperware container (with holes) & not let her out until she provides what I need. With the way she takes being closed into things, this is not a favourite choice of mine.

Thoughts, opinions, advice?

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/29/16 07:12 PM

Is it that she will only pee ON you?

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/30/16 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Hutch

My next step will be to close her in a larger Tupperware container (with holes) & not let her out until she provides what I need. With the way she takes being closed into things, this is not a favourite choice of mine.

Thoughts, opinions, advice?

I would find a metal dish you can put her in and put a plate on top. Put the dish into the freezer for about 5 minutes, put her in it and cover.

Cold metal usually will get them to pee.

As far as Mary's gliders go, I was tempted to try what works for shutting up the parrots.....................
A Bath!

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 10/31/16 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Feather

As far as Mary's gliders go, I was tempted to try what works for shutting up the parrots.....................
A Bath!
:rofl2: :pop:

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/03/16 02:21 PM

Gwyn, if I didn't love you, I'd hate you. Luckily, you're cute.

So, tried the metal-trick twice so far. With five minutes, I couldn't even get to lay a paw on it, even with 'dump' attempts. I have the scratches to prove it. She got away from my hands, on to my back, & peed.

Round II: Three minutes in the freezer, I was able to get her close enough to push her off my hand on to it. It was like a cartoon moment as I went to cover her. Gwyn had barely made contact, sprang up limbs flaying like, then manage to knock the cover off enough to get out before I could rest my hand on it. Then she drizzled pee all the way up my arm.

Round III will be five minutes in the fridge, the day after they have juicy grapes for dinner.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/04/16 01:35 AM

How much pee to they need?
I would say...how about: Maybe it doesn't have to be cold. Start feeding her some straight honey--makes them thirsty. Let her take a couple big drinks from her bottle and then put her into a flat-bottomed plastic container.
Be sure to punch some holes in the lid. ;-)
Then make her sit there through their normal dinner time.
Collect any liquid remaining when you remove her, and call it pee. :-)
Just spitballing here. I am glad I don't have to try and collect a urine sample myself.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/04/16 10:50 AM

Hutch,
Did he want a sample specifically from Gwen? Is 3 out of 4 specimens enough? If any of the others have it, wouldn't doc treat all 4?

I'm thinking you are not pulling on Gwen's heart strings by putting her through this.

I had A same issue with Miss Fiona (nickname: "Miss Pee Pot") back in January. Dot showed high white blood cell count and doc treated both with antibiotics. BTW, Fiona got her name when she perfected her "spin" on my shoulder and somehow flings pee with her tail in my face.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/04/16 06:18 PM

:roflmao2:

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/07/16 08:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
Hutch,
Did he want a sample specifically from Gwen? Is 3 out of 4 specimens enough? If any of the others have it, wouldn't doc treat all 4?

I'm thinking you are not pulling on Gwen's heart strings by putting her through this.

I had A same issue with Miss Fiona (nickname: "Miss Pee Pot") back in January. Dot showed high white blood cell count and doc treated both with antibiotics. BTW, Fiona got her name when she perfected her "spin" on my shoulder and somehow flings pee with her tail in my face.
:roflmao: :rofl2: :fall:

Yeah, pretty sure Gwyn has been a little annoyed with me.

Only needed two samples: Arthur & Gwyn. The Morgana is fine & Merlin 'only' has the seizures. Had Arthur's urine tested, he has blood in his urine (crap). Now they want 'fresh' samples, as in no more than a couple hours old, from him... & Gwyn :dizzy: Can't today, I'll try to bring to work tomorrow & collect right before the end of the day.

Merlin has another seizure yesterday, but a very short one. I wondering if they're happening more often than I know, I might need to have him spend more time with me. He just parked himself on my shoulder against my neck & held on to a finger while I got the other three back in to cage (not easy one handed). We spent another 20 min or so just us, petting him & playing with his tail until he started moving again. I gave him plenty of yoggies until he was moving normally (spaz-y like) then returned him to the cage too. Straight to the pouch, he went... I figured he'd want a nap.

So worried about my zany fluffy furballs of loves. worried

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/07/16 11:37 AM

What kind of heat do you have? How long have you had your heater on?

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/07/16 11:42 AM

Poor little guy. :-(

I hope his seizures aren't painful. I have heard that, in humans anyway, seizures caused by various conditions are not necessarily painful.
I hope this is the case with Merlin.
I am not a vet...I have zero vet training. But medically, many times, mammals-is-mammals, so hopefully this is true for Merlin.

Hmm. New glider invention, the "E-DIAPER"
Put them on each baby...write their names on the butt with magic marker...
Of course...you would have to use an E-COLLAR to prevent them from removing the E-DIAPER...
Probably a lot of pee involved there too, so....bonus pee!
Seriously though--
...your reward for getting through the last round of collections, is 4 more FRESH collections!?...
Pee-pocalypse...
My sympathies man. :-(
It speaks well of you as a glider dad that you are doing all this.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/08/16 07:36 AM

What kind of heat do you have? How long have you had your heater on?

I have floor heating set to keep the house at 68dF. I also leave a window cracked to allow fresh cool air to mix. It's thermometer controlled, so 'always' on.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/08/16 10:38 AM

Originally Posted By: ComradeFluffy
I hope his seizures aren't painful.
I don't believe they are. He seems mostly scared & tired after them. He definitely shies away from the others (think they're too squirrely for him to handle) & will usually curl against my neck & accept pets for 15 or so minutes before becoming active again. :hbreak:
..your reward for getting through the last round of collections, is 4 more FRESH collections!?...
Well, only two, thankfully. Still, yeah, not much of a reward. Also still uncertain how I'm going to get Gwen to cooperate. I fear it's time I just lock her in some tubberware until she provides. She probably won't 'talk' to me for a day or so after that. :owell:
It speaks well of you as a glider dad that you are doing all this.
What does it speak of me that three of the fuzzies I care for are sick :tant2:

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/08/16 03:54 PM

Comeradefluffy,

Try giving Merlin food during the day to keep his blood sugar up and see if his seizures end.

I had one that would have a seizure when she first came out of the cage, giving her a snack and changing her to Critterlove Original ended the seizures.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/08/16 04:51 PM

Comeradefluffy,

Try giving Merlin food during the day to keep his blood sugar up and see if his seizures end.

I had one that would have a seizure when she first came out of the cage, giving her a snack and changing her to Critterlove Original ended the seizures.

Did you really just call me Comrade Fluffy, Ms. Birthday Girl??? Happy bday, BTW.

I leave a dry food in thier cage: Wholesome Balance. I keep about four tablespoons in two separate container all day long; refill as necessary. Do you think I should offer more than that during the day?

I love the conveniences and freshness of the SunCoast plan. You should see them go to town on some grasshoppers or chicken! The downside has been the nightly prep time, especially when I've been working late. I've been debating on switching them to Critterlove Complete because of that. I bought a sample recently to try. If you think this will make a difference to Merlin, I'm willing to switch that as their protein immediately! (I'm still trying to locate someplace to buy the variety of veggies.)

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/08/16 09:43 PM

[quote]Did you really just call me Comrade Fluffy, Ms. Birthday Girl??? Happy bday, BTW.
/quote]

Hey give me a break, I drove for over 20 hours yesterday and slept in the front seat of a mini van.

Thank you for the Birthday wishes.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/08/16 09:45 PM

I feed the Critterlove Plus mainly, but when I am lazy I will mix up Complete. My gliders are doing great that feeding plan. I also use her recommended salad mixtures.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/08/16 11:37 PM

Ohmygoodness... I loved reading Gwyn's pee antics. I once fed Fevy a ton of apple juice to make him pee and the vet was like "... so you gave him apple juice, huh?" Apparently the sample was almost pure juice. :| Another time, I did a fecal when he was having that strange gagging issue and the night before, I'd spilled bee's pollen. Not a lot, so I let him lick it up. The vet told me his poop was 90% bee's pollen (which can also look like giarrdia so I'm pretty sure my vet just hates me now... said she had to look really closely and was finally like 'this is all pollen'). I have yet to figure out a really good way to get pee out of a suggie, despite the fact that when you don't want them to, they pee on almost everything (and everyone).

Sorry for all the health troubles your suggies have gotten themselves into lately! frown My old cat had seizures that were not painful at all, but still upsetting to watch and know you can't help them. Give Merlin extra lovin's for me and Gwyn lots of belly rubs. Keep us posted on the results. Gliders are such strange, mysterious creatures I feel like we're figuring out new things every day. The blood sugar suggestion seems like it would be worth a try. Sometimes random diet switching up has helped me with Fev's unexplained quirks.

The round table is lucky to have such a caring human looking after them!

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/12/16 05:27 PM

Thanks, Temulin smile

Due to having no vehicle for a bit, haven't tried to collect a sample. THere's only so many kilometers I can keep bumming from friends. Might break down soon & decide on an expensive taxi ride.

Today, gliders snuggled with my hand for a couple movies. They're settling down quicker after transitioning them from cage to chest. Lots of popping, occasional grooming (Arthur made sure not to miss a spot on my scratching finger), & only two or three nips. It was a wonderful afternoon.

Looking forward to a repeat tomorrow.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/16/16 10:10 PM

clap SUCCESS!! dance

*Flashback* It is getting much easier to remove individual gliders from their pouches. I scratched some heads, got some pops, then was able to slowly scoop Gwyn from the bottom and out. The hardest part was getting her to let go of my hand to set her in a Tupperware. She seemed content to just hang there & go back to sleep. I eventually got her down to a small pile of treats & closed her in.

Next Arthur came out just as easily with just a little dribble of pee. He groggily allowed me to scoop him out then drunkenly stumbled off my hand to his own pile of treats... & started 'providing his samples right away, never needed to close him in. I can always count on him to produce tons of waste. He even saved enough to 'mark' me (again) on the way back to the cage.

Merlin was a trickier. Even though they did not ask for his, I figure it couldn't hurt since they're still looking into options for his seizures. He came out easily enough, but I think he was actually springing off the air before he could land, much less before I could close the top. Still, he began going to the bathroom during the struggle so I got some in there. Less after he partially knocked it over. I gave him a treat & returned him, then Arthur.

I checked on Gywn, still nothing; ad a yoggie in her mouth, but otherwise seemed to be ignoring the treats. I collected Merlin first & was able to get .2mL. They said they needed only a couple drops, so I hope that's enough; also collected a smal fecal sample; why not? Arthur was more generous and I acquired .5mL and two good sized nuggets.

Cleaned up the mess, made their (grapes again for the 'trauma' I put them through), then checked Gwyn again... nope. Nuggets, no urine *sight* Sat down, put her container in my lap, & put on a movie. Figured this may take a while. It did.

For the first half-hour I simply let her sit in the corner. Then I cracked the lid enough to get my hand in, pet her, & cup over here. She wasn't going to sleep, just watching me ears up & alert, so I didn't want her to feel alone. After one hour and twenty something minutes in the Tupperware, she began to struggle hard to puch out. I had to guide her back in & close the lid again (accidently caught her paw). A moment later, she peed (if only a little)! .3mL and two decent sized nuggets.

*Present time* They do not seem to be any worse for wear, all of them were wanting to play tonight after they got a little more sleep. I looked at her paw, she seemed fine and was gripping everything without a problem. Guess I just pinched her for a moment. I feel not as bad about that now.

I'll have to figure something out to get these to the vet sometime tomorrow. They wanted only a few hours, but I checked and overnight would work if refrigerated, no longer. At least I finally have my samples & now believe that Gwyn's problem is like house-breaking a puppy: doesn't want to go where she may have to walk in her own puddle. Guess I'll build a special waste collection container out of the Tupperware since I've already put holes in it. Maybe a, elevated screen in the bottom.

I got my samples, YAY!

On a related, but different note, Gwyn and Morgana's bellies have turned a shade of yellow. Now I've had trouble giving the cage a good scrubbing since my surgery, so I suspect it's related to that. I can't maneuver it down the staircase as I use to until I heal more. So I have been settling for a good wipe down. For those who are more experienced, am I correct? Is that a sign of 'build-up' on the cage?

Last but not least, here are a couple very long awaited pictures from this weekend:

This is my good side. - Arthur

Ready for my close-up! - Arthur

I'm just trying to get a-head. Get it? - Morgana

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/17/16 05:53 AM

The battle of the Pee!
Way to hang in there man! Good pics too. Hear a lot about these guys--nice to see them. :-)

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/17/16 06:58 PM

Dropped the samples off, I should hear tomorrow what they find. Fingers crossed for some good (or at least not terrible) news.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/18/16 10:41 AM

Yes the yellow fur could be from a build up on the bars. I know this would be messy, but I would lay down some plastic and then all of your dirty towels and get a bucket of hot water, some Dawn dish soap and start scrubbing.

Either that or invest in a steam cleaner.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/18/16 08:48 PM

Steam cleaner sounds nice, I wonder if I can find a dual voltage one since I don't know where I'll be living in nine months... yet. Today I picked up a chemical free soft-scrub pad. I'm hoping if I use a little dish soap with oxyclean in a spray bottle, and give it a much more thorough wipedown, I can avoid too much pain and get it clean. If that doesn't work, I hope my shoulder can take giving it a serious scrubbing using your recommendations and a stiff scrub brush, Kimberly. This would be so much easier if I had a spigot for my backyard frown

Vet sent me an email: all urine and fecal smears came back normal. Huh? Ummm... Trying to believe that is good news, but for some reason, it only concerns me. Also, the vet wants me to switch Merlin to the BML diet to see if that helps the seizures. According to what he's been able to learn, diet is the #1 cause. I guess it's time I switch to the CritterLove Complete I ordered. Still working on locating stuff for the salad mix around here.

Morgana is acting the goof, hanging by one foot while eating a piece of coconut I gave her.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/18/16 09:42 PM

I switched to Critterlove because of seizures. I suggest that you try giving him a peice of fruit before you bring him out of the cage to see if that ends the seizures.

Do you have any friends that would help you carry that cage outside?

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/19/16 12:25 PM

What are the dimensions of your cage?

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/19/16 12:54 PM

Hutch, I assume you live off post? Is there a swap or facebook page where people are going back home that you could find one on the cheap?

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/20/16 12:02 AM

I switched to Critterlove because of seizures. I suggest that you try giving him a peice of fruit before you bring him out of the cage to see if that ends the seizures.
Thanks, that sounds like a plan! I'll give it a try.

Do you have any friends that would help you carry that cage outside?
I can roll it outside myself, the problem is there isn't a spigot. I'll need to route a long hose from my basement. Silly German design :-/ Before my surgery, I'd take it downstairs to my basement shower that has a detachable head.

What are the dimensions of your cage?
61" tall, 25" deep, & 35" wide (all slightly rounded, it's a metric cage). It weights about 45 lbs, but my shoulder is only back up to 10 lbs frown

Hutch, I assume you live off post? Is there a swap or facebook page where people are going back home that you could find one on the cheap?
Yes I do, there sure is, & I've been watching for a while. I haven't seen many come up since I received my fur-babies & those I did were bought only minutes after posted. Disadvantage of not being able to 'live' on the pages like many spouses are able.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/23/16 11:04 AM

Black Friday comment up maybe you can do a search and see what's out there.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/24/16 08:46 PM

Thanks, Dawn, I'll try looking around for one, see if I can get a deal, even if I need to use it with a transformer. I also owe you pics of my furballs exploring your gifts wink Comming soon, just had a lot going on over here.

Speaking of BF/CM sales... with so many gliders stores offering them, I'll be honest, I kind-of wish to expand my colony. It really is a disease. If shipping wasn't so much to get to me, alas.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/25/16 09:56 PM

Six hours of cuddling with my gliders. Hand in pouch, pouch in lap, fuzzy critters wrapped in and around my hand. Popping little balls of squeaky happiness squeezing between fingers while demanding pets and grooming me. After such a long miserable week, I really needed some sugar (gliders).

This is the longest I've done pouch-cuddle time with them. Since they slept-in a while, I was either interrupting their sleep or they were content enough to not want to start the night.

One thing I did notice was a couple of them were a little damp and Gwynevere was actually wet; she did keep insisting she stay in my palm for most of the time. Did my hand over heat them, cause the humidity to increase that much, or might they have peed on each other rather than come out? Ah, the little things still left to learn.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/25/16 10:24 PM

They may have been a little sweaty, I sure they were fine. Just loving cuddles from Daddy!

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/26/16 01:57 AM

Wow...6 hours! Super awesome daddy tree bonus points!

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/27/16 01:20 PM

They may have been a little sweaty, I sure they were fine. Just loving cuddles from Daddy!
Thanks Kimberly, as always I appreciate your knowledge & advice.

Wow...6 hours! Super awesome daddy tree bonus points!
It was awesome! Looking forward to repeats <3

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/29/16 08:25 AM

The last few nights I've had a couple of repeats of extended hand-in-pouch times. Just last night, Gwynevere insisted on it. I was putting their food in the cage & saw her head poke out. When I went to give her a quick scratch on the head before closing the door, she instead grabbed my fingers & tried pulling them in to the pouch with her. So, yeah, out the pouch came & on the TV went. Cleaning could wait another day, I had gliders wanting some cuddle time. heart

As I was leaving for work today, I saw all four out & about. I opened the cage to give them a couple treats & pets, but Gwyn & Morgana has other ideas. I saw that Gwyn was about to jump, so I put my hand up to block her. She jumped anyways & plowed right in to my hand before landing on the floor. Stubborn girl. Morgana tried to go around by bouncing off the cage door, but I was able to close it with her still on it before she could make the last leap.

Frequently when Gwyn in on the floor, I just need to stand next to her & pat my leg for her to jump on me. This morning, she would act like she was about to jump for a moment, then hop away a couple steps. Brat. When did this three or four times before she climbed up me then made sure she stayed just beyond my reach. Turd. A couple minutes of that & I convinced her to jump on top of their cage. Mwah-ha-ha-ha, fooled you! I scooped her up in my hands & deposited her back inside. She sulkingly climbed from my hands on to a hammock, but I did give her another treat to make up for it. Sorry girl, wish I had time to cuddle. :hbreak:

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/29/16 10:08 PM

For some reason, Merlin was all by himself in a pouch. Since I though he may like some cuddle time if he was all alone, I scooped him out (no struggle on his part) and gave him a couple dried fruit treats & yoggies, then sat down with him on my shoulder. He was tried to settle in behind my neck but slipped on the leather of my recliner. That 'scare' triggered another seizure. :tant2:

He was at a very awkward angle for me to help, so I had to slowly maneuver his feet to release my shirt & get him clutching my hand instead. No failing limbs this time, but stiff as a rock, vibrating, & drooling profusely. I held him against my chest cupped in the hand to which he was clinging & just kept stroking him & talking to him. He settled down after a while, remained there even longer, then crawled up behind my neck again.

Another 20 or so minutes he was being rambunctious & trying to head for the cage. I scooped him up & showed him the pouch the other fluffies were sleeping in; dove right in, he did.

I just want my fur-baby to be better upset need_hug

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/29/16 10:36 PM

You just can't predict when they will have a seizure. Panda had about 20 of them the day at the vet; the dog barking, the lights too bright..........

She hadn't had any for the longest time and had one Sunday after I trimmed her nails. She was fine the last time I trimmed her nails.

I did what you did held her close till she was all better.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/30/16 12:47 AM

Sorry to hear about the seizures man. :-(
The worst part is the helpless feeling of not being able to help. Wish I had some ideas for you.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 11/30/16 01:47 PM

You might want to keep a log book on those seizures. Time, what he ate, type (stiff or flailing), potty /poo condition, cause, I'm sure there are other conditions to think of too.

Sorry to hear he's still having issues...

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/01/16 10:04 PM

Poor Merlin! That breaks my heart. frown I like Lady's idea. The vet had me do that when Fevy was mysteriously gagging. It's so hard with suggies because we know so little about their ways still, so I think any little clues help. And best case scenario, maybe you can find some simple environmental fixes that could help him like food allergies or something minor that are aggravating his condition.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/06/16 07:27 PM

Gwyn wanted to come out & play for a bit, but she mainly wanted to hang out on my back. I was dead on my feet after the last few days, I wasn't going to stand there while she just chilled over a shoulder blade. So, I sat down slowly giving her time to move to my shoulder. Which she quickly jumped from to the floor & hopped off. I tried to see if she wanted to climb or clamber someplace special, but she preferred being on me unless I was sitting. After three times, I put her back into the cage with a yoggie.

It was only a few minutes later that the barking began. Loudly. After five/six minutes straight, I went to check on her. (Yes, I recognised Gwyn's needy-barking.) Morgana froze in the wheel & Merlin had backed into a corner near the food dish, & Gwyn was sitting on a hammock yipping away. I tried talking to her for a bit, nada. I barked back at her for a while, but every time I stopped, she resumed. (Though the confused look on her face was priceless.) I would reach to pet her, but she'd only allow butt-scratches; anywhere else caused her to jump away. I was able to pet away on Morgana & Merlin, though the latter turned to face to corner as I did so (he can be so weird).

Eventually, I was able to get her to climb on my hand. At first, she kept barking even after I removed her. Once I crammed another yoggie in her mouth & placed her on my shoulder, she finally quieted down. Figures, attention {self-censored}. I let her crawl around on me for a bit more, tried to get her to play with toys or the bannister or... well, just play. Nope. She mainly wanted to crawl on me, but god-forbid I stop moving for too long: time to play "FOLLOW ME!" would she think & off Gwyn went tail high & twitching. *sigh* After another 10 minutes, I went back to the cage to see if anyone wanted to join us... nope. So, I gave her a yoggie & set her on a hammock while she chowed-down on it.

This time she remained quiet. Gwyn may be demanding, but she's cute... I'll keep her.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/08/16 11:53 AM

Usually it only takes 10 to 20 mins of exploring for my girls... Then they are done!

Except this morning. Had to be at a service call an hour and a half away from home at 4:30 am. Girls were surprised we were up at 2am and wanted to play play play! Run run run! And ride on the shoulder to explore. .. Mealies!

We were 15 minutes late. Since we don't punch a time clock it's not so important.(BTW no one was up and ready for us anyway!)

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/08/16 01:16 PM

Ouch! A 3am get up for a 90 min drive?
That's painful just reading it.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/08/16 01:29 PM

Hutch hey...
What is it about the shoulder blade?
Upside down right? Over the shoulder blade where they instinctively know they are hard to grab.
But they don't want off you. They would just get off if they did. Just like human kids.

Until social services came round asking about your weird kids who won't get off the teacher at school...

You know what I mean...

At some point, humanity is going to have to come up with a definition of what is considered "sentient"
Animals don't get enough credit.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/08/16 07:08 PM

Usually it only takes 10 to 20 mins of exploring for my girls... Then they are done!

Except this morning. Had to be at a service call an hour and a half away from home at 4:30 am. Girls were surprised we were up at 2am and wanted to play play play! Run run run! And ride on the shoulder to explore. .. Mealies!

We were 15 minutes late. Since we don't punch a time clock it's not so important.(BTW no one was up and ready for us anyway!)
It's like the gliders KNOW when you NEED them to go back to bed... & then they play keep away (or demonstrate how well their nails can dig in).

Hutch hey...
What is it about the shoulder blade?
Upside down right? Over the shoulder blade where they instinctively know they are hard to grab.But they don't want off you. They would just get off if they did. Just like human kids.
Well, mine seem to face any direction they feel like, otherwise yes, totally with you on your train of thought.

Gem from tonight:

"I am the terror that flaps... er, glides in the night, I am the bark when you're almost asleep!"
- Merlin

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/11/16 02:59 AM

Had another "I'm not done playing" barking fit from Gwyn tonight. I 'rescued' her from the confines of the cage. For a little while, she was content to watch TV with me... but, then her exploration urges kicked in. After several games of follow-the-suggie, I cupped her on my chest & started petting her. I think she liked it since she stayed there with me petting away for almost an hour. When she started getting squirrelly again, I gave her a yogurt drop & returned her to the cage. I love nights like these.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/12/16 03:00 PM

Hutch hey....just spit-balling here but...maybe she's bored.

Maybe your cage needs a holiday makeover.

Here's an idea I am going to try...

Get a small house fan. Tie a bunch of tinsel strands to the grill of the house fan. When you turn on the house fan the strands should wave wildly in the airflow.
Place the fan next to the cage so the strands blow in through the bars. Put the fan on a random digital timer to turn on and off throughout the night.

Does anyone have a source for live moths? That would be a hoot too.

What about a big plate mirror?

Mine like TV, but only the TASTE of the TV.

Do an internet search and see if you can find an old kids toy called "Elefun" It's an Elephant that shoots little toy nylon butterflies up into the air.

just random ideas...

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/12/16 05:26 PM

Hutch hey....just spit-balling here but...maybe she's bored.

Maybe your cage needs a holiday makeover.
*face-palm* I think you may have just solidly hit the nail right smack on the head. With everything I've been dealing with lately... Yeah, I am WAY overdue to do for a complete layout change for them. Now that I think about it, we haven't had a long play night in a while either. D'oh!!

Way to burst my happy "She likes me, she really likes me" bubble there, Dave! :comppunch: :tant2:
J/K man. Thanks for the reminder.

Here's an idea I am going to try... Get a small house fan. Tie a bunch of tinsel strands to the grill of the house fan. When you turn on the house fan the strands should wave wildly in the airflow. Place the fan next to the cage so the strands blow in through the bars. Put the fan on a random digital timer to turn on and off throughout the night.
Might be careful with this one. I know mine feel the same about fans as they do about crumpling paper & plastic bags (they seriously do not like). I would also ensure that it can't tip towards the cage, whether it be because of the Mikey the ghost haunting you trailer or a team of trouble-makers working together in a tug-o-war competition. Maybe a bungee? Just my 2CP.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/14/16 02:28 PM

Hutch I have a rubber bungee I put in there once in awhile.

Mine still like to pull straws out of wiffle balls... maybe I need to add some fleece strips too...

You can dip one end of a straw in honey, then bend to form a triangle. Poke the honey end into the other end. Mine tire of that game if introduced every night. But once a week...

Hum... I think it's time for a new topic in "Housing and Accessories"

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/20/16 11:17 PM

Hey where is Hutch? We need more tales of the round table!

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/21/16 11:02 AM

:pop:

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/28/16 11:30 AM

LOL, thanks you two wink Family has been visiting, so not much time for updates.

Merlin has been getting frisky with Morgana! She'll tssks a few times, he'll tssk back once, then she'll relocate with him riding piggy-back. Wasn't expecting this since he was snipped so young. *shrug*

Merlin did have one seizure, again seems to be anxiety related. Jumped from me onto a paper bag that noisily fell over from his impact, jumped right back to my hands, then locked up. Lots of cuddle/petting time after & he was fine.

At least he has Morgana to take care of him. My sick glider has a better luck with the ladies than I do *face-palm*

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/28/16 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Hutch
LOL, thanks you two wink Family has been visiting, so not much time for updates.

Merlin has been getting frisky with Morgana! She'll tssks a few times, he'll tssk back once, then she'll relocate with him riding piggy-back. Wasn't expecting this since he was snipped so young. *shrug*
Just cause he is fixed doesn't mean he can't give the ole ball park try, he is shooting blanks.
Merlin did have one seizure, again seems to be anxiety related. Jumped from me onto a paper bag that noisily fell over from his impact, jumped right back to my hands, then locked up. Lots of cuddle/petting time after & he was fine.

It is good that you have figured out one of the causes.

At least he has Morgana to take care of him. My sick glider has a better luck with the ladies than I do *face-palm*

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/29/16 01:02 PM

It is awesome that family came to see you! Free room and board and they get to experience Deutchland from a resident perspective instead of tourist. Always more interesting and fun! Plus you get to show off a bit!

So how and what do they think of your fur troop? Anyone in your family have gliders?

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/29/16 03:59 PM

I'm the first glider-fanatic in my family.

They loved them, thought the fuzzies were completely adorable & their antics hilarious. What surprised them was that their personalities were as distinct as I said & it was very evident right away.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/29/16 04:51 PM

cloud9

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 12/31/16 01:53 PM

Yeah our family thought we were nuts at our age to have "critters".

Now they kinda get it. But I discourage ownership. Only because until they fall head over heals, their glider would only be "cute" cage critters

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/06/17 02:59 AM

Since most of my family lives in states where they're banned (CA & HI), not really something I have to worry about discouraging. Thier loss, lol.

By the way Dawn, my gliders have been loving the toys you sent them! I haven't been able to capture even ok pictures in use, but they give three paws up (the fourth trying to get the treat out still).

Tonight was a wonderful night with Gwynevere! I spend about four hours with her cuddled on my chest napping in a hand while I petted her & watched an old TV series I liked. I kept expecting her to decided it was enough & become her usual nightly hyper self, but she'd just look up, groom a little, then go back to napping while I stroked her. Totally a heaven-sent & very zen-like night for me.

In hindsight, I wish someone was around to capture a picture (my hands were busy). She curled up so small at times that it reminded me of when I first got her. Way cute.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/06/17 02:49 PM

Oh man...that sounds great. I have so far only been able to get Aria to actually sleep in my hand. That's the brass ring. smile
Posted By: Stef333

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/06/17 03:34 PM

That's so sweet with Gwyn! What was the light level in the room at the time? Do you find that making it lighter or darker affects their interest in cuddles...?

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/07/17 03:49 AM

Oh man...that sounds great. I have so far only been able to get Aria to actually sleep in my hand. That's the brass ring. smile
That was a first for me, Dave. The only times I've had them sleep on me was a shoulder, on my back, or in a pouch. It was very comforting smile

Originally Posted By: Stef333
That's so sweet with Gwyn! What was the light level in the room at the time? Do you find that making it lighter or darker affects their interest in cuddles...?
Funny thing is that the room was brighter than I normally keep it when they're out. I had an overhead light on (about 60W for a 10x12 room) and the TV going. For the most part I haven't noticed the light affecting them so much as they've gotten older (realitively speaking).

If you're concerned but would still like to see where you're going, try red lights. I used them a lot thier first few months to increase thier confort level around me & my house before transitioning them to normal lights. I still use them sometimes for playtime.

----------------------------------------

Tonight it was Merlin that came out for cuddles. He didn't settle down as fast as Gwyn, but he kept trying perch in places uncomfotable for me. I ended up holding him to my chest for a bit, then directing him to an armrest. He ended up sprawled along my arm with him head resting on my wrist while I gave him body-length slow strokes. He stayed there until I sneezed & startled him. A leap to my leg then relaxed there as I resumed petting him as before. It seriously looked like he was watching TV with me (he stayed awake, still a little nervious at times). I think we had a bit over two hours of cuddle time. Maybe if I can do this with him more often it'll help with his anxiety (& therefore the seziures).

Gywnevere might have been a little jealious. She was waiting on the door as I tried to return Merlin. As soon as it was opened, she was on me, up my shoulder, & peeing. ("This is my slave-tree, get your own!")

Played with all four of the round table a bit. Just tried to have some fun with the near nightly game of 'back in to the cage.' I'd give a couple small treats to distract them while I corraled the others, about which time they were done & jumping back out. Arthur would just come to the outside front of the cage & be chased back in, Merlin would hang on the door or doorway, while Morgana & Gwyn would leap to me or nearby furniture.

Gwynevere kept trying to make her way to where I keep the snacks. She made it a couple times while I was working with the others (or coaxing Morgana off my clock). I don't think it'll be much longer before she figures out how a ziploc bag works.

Fun night with my lil'loves. heart

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/07/17 04:00 AM

Now if I could just get them to stop trying to eat thier wheel...

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/08/17 11:16 AM

Eat their wheel?!?

Have you washed it in fruity soap lately?

Is it made from candy canes? ( We discovered Fiona likes candy canes.)

Has it got nectar on it from grubby hands?

Or maybe it was a "monkey see monkey do"? One tasted it and the others want to know what the first one got?
Posted By: Terry

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/08/17 02:21 PM

Some gliders like to chew on hard plastic, or try chewing on anything, lol.

My girls had a wheel when I first homed them, it was practically destroyed!

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/08/17 07:32 PM

Dawn, I think it is more along what Terry said, I have a couple of chewers in my group; they can be hard on toys. They've just been a little more stubborn about it lately. Wiping off didn't help. I've started reaching in when they don't listen to a tssk & spinning the wheel with them in it like a contestant on Wheel-of-Fortune, lol. Gets them running/hopping again.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/09/17 09:51 AM

Yesterday was quite nice with my fuzzies. Spent a lot of the day with their pouch in my lap & my hand 'sleeping' with them, frequently petting them. I was the recipient of more than one glare if I would stop petting them while they napped 'I didn't tell you to stop!' Several times as I tried to extract my hand for one reason or another, one or more would reach out & grab it with his/her paws '5 more minutes, tree-slave.' One of the times I removed my hand after it hand been in there a while, I saw they had re-oriented themselves vertically side by side instead of the normal pile. I had four cute, sleepy faces peering up at me 'where are you going?' It was a good day.

I'm doing an overnighter, so this morning I put their dinner in their cage as I removed last night's leftovers. A couple were still up & about, but there was the normal amount left behind, so I didn't think anything of it. I try to treat them when I won't be around at night, so I provided them corn. Apparently they had more room in their tiny bellies since one-by-one all four made their way to the tray (even the ones who'd already retired to their pouch). I hope they leave enough for tonight *sigh*

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/11/17 10:39 PM

Gwynevere was sleeping on her own when I got home... so I took that as a sign she wanted cuddle time, lol. I served thier food, refilled thier water, & took out the pouch she was in. I had a very groggy WFB looking blearily at me. A couple yoggies & pine nuts, a few well places scratches, & she settled down again.

Movie started, recliner back, blanet on, & hand in pouch - Check!

Gwyn carefully groomed & arranged my fingers to her liking, then curled up inside my the cup she formed. I was actually wondering if she was a little cold on her own, her body would have this little vibration on & off, kindof like when they're first waking up & moving around, but she felt as if she was asleep.

We stayed that way for a few hours (pee break for me in the middle wink ) until I heard the others waking up. I figured she wouldn't be far behind even though she hadn't stirred yet. I returned the pouch to the cage & Gwyn poked her head out. I gave her one last pine nut as a 'thanks to the cuddles,' & called it a night. (That's what happens when they get up extra late!)

Nice night. I'm glad these are happening more often, going through some rough times again & having reach this stage of bonding has been good for my soul. Sugar Glider cuddles = Contentment :D
Posted By: Stef333

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/12/17 03:46 PM

I also find that my gliders have mood elevating properties. They bring joy and laughter into my life every day, and some days I really need that. smile

I hope that your rough times smooth out soon, Hutch!

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/13/17 10:48 PM

I know this seems redundant, but another good for the soul day 'sleeping' with the little loves. They seem to be developing 'routine' sleeping positions realitive to my hand when it's in there. It seems to vary by time of day, but I've noticed that with thier positions in 'the pile' as well. I guess now that my hand has an associated sleeping arrangement, it's now fully accepting in the pouch.

In general, Gwynevere makes her way to the inside of my hand with her head nudged in to the fleshy part between the thumb and pointer, like a pillow. She'll bring her tail up to cover her eyes. Gwyn is one of the gliders who will not only hold on when I try to remove my hand, but she will actively try to pull it in to the pouch if I reach in to pet them. Morning or evening, she manages to squirm her way in to the cup of my hand, always facing up.

Arthur likes to strech across my knuckles wraping his paws & tail around as many different fingers as he can manage. He won't pull me in, but he'll gladly help 'arrange' my fingers, give them a good grooming for bed time, then hold on if 'his' fingers try to leave. During the morning he seems to prefer Merlin's position.

Merlin like being near my finger tips, arranging himself to curl around two of them. He'll squirm the most out of all of them to find a position (& keep checking on me). He seems to be an active dreamer, I feel him twitch a lot. If I lightly tickle his belly, he settles down. Niether pulls my fingers in nor grabs them if I try to pull my hand out, but he'll squawk if something if interferring with his positioning. In the morning he'll still stay near the bottom, but will place more of his body in the space along my forefinger on top of Gwyn.

Morgana likes to take over my thumb. She tends to form a 'U' over/around the tip & wrap her tail around near the base. She'll usually start helping Gwyn pull my hand in, but doesn't initiate it herself. She also doesn't really settle down well in the morning, napping for a while in one location, then moving to another, usually nearer to the top than in the evening & facing down in to the pouch.

Haven't been doing as much long night time plays with them, but allowing those who want to come out to explore a little. As long as I've seem them eat some dinner, that is (looking at you Morgana). Girls are still much more about that than the boys.

It has been a while since Merlin has experienced a significant seziure (knocking on wood). YAY! I'm hoping all this time around my hands is helping him to remain calmer. Time will tell.

That's all I have for tonight. Just sharing how things are normalizing smile

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/14/17 07:56 AM

Always great to hear about the round table. :-)
Reminds me that I have been slacking on the sleepovers. Glad things are normalizing for you guys.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/15/17 10:22 PM

Gee I'm torn between adding one more reply (this makes 94) but I guess it's gonna happen soon enough where you get to 100.

But I'm glad you have your quartet and they have you! They are comforting in tough times, and they seem to know it.

The bonding process is ongoing, don't forget.

I do enjoy sleeping time with mine too.

So keep on telling your story.... I think everyone here enjoys your adventures and I feel you give hope to newbies on here too!

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/15/17 11:59 PM

Hutch,

When you make it to one hundred posts and we lock this thread for you to start another one. If you would like to save it all you have to do is go to topic options and you can print out the whole thread and its replies.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/16/17 11:45 AM

Kimberley, that's what I've been doing as each thread has come to an end. It is nice to look back & see how far the five of us have come together, highs & lows.

Dawn, never fear! I post hear to for the two way communication, so post away wink As you said, one way or the other I'll be moving on to chapter four soon. Sometimes I have trouble believing I've written so much & had so many wonderful conversations about these zany critters. I'm sure they'll continue to provide me much to talk about.

--------------------------------

Yesterday had a humorous moment. They spend most of the day in my lap as I worked on my laptop. I've been developing a boardgame & was finishing the instruction book. As a result, my hands were unavailable for more than the occasional pet or scratch when I would re-read sections or stop to think.

Before I get to the moment, a digression: I was amazed how after they settled down, I was able to reach in to rub a glider or two without them even batting an eye. That they have become that comfortable with me & spending the sleeping period with me is fantastic!

Back to funny: At one point Gwynevere woke & started grooming herself. It was cute to watch, but she was lower in the pouch causing Merlin to tssk a bit since she kept maneuvering under him to reach new body parts. I reached in to gently pet him for comfort (something I'd been doing on & off since he'd been an active dreamer), but Gwyn had other ideas. She reached up, grabbed my finger tight, firmly pulled it to her, then started going like it was the dirties thing she'd seen. I promised her I'd washed my hands after each break, but she only tssk'd at me I continued for what must have been seven or eight minutes! After that, she turned her attention back to her tail & ignored the scratch I gave her head. I guess I was finally up to her royal standards, lol!

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/19/17 01:23 PM

Well, I discovered this morning the fluffy balls of trouble chewed through the loop holding up what had become their favorite newest toy (sorry Dawn, the one with all the lids for treats). As I reached in to retrieve it, Gwyn pounced. I was trying to leave for work, so of course she was playing hard to get. She kept sniffing my neck or ear, then darting away when I'd reach for her. Flick her tail in my face, then jump away. Tease.

They've (she's) been a lot more vocal at night lately. Like, waking me a floor away vocal for extended periods. With how late they've been waking (2300, give or take), we haven't had a long play session in a while, just the cuddle time. I'm guessing this is the result of that? I think I'll get them out of bed early tonight & see if that helps things.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/19/17 02:17 PM

Lol! That's Ok! It was a quick throw together, last minute, had a place to stuff in box thing. That plastic lace is rather thin, I should have doubled it... I am looking for stronger stuff too.

Or, maybe they just wanted the straws and lids in their toybox?

If you can get your hands on silicone tubing( I found some black that's real stretchy, about the diameter of fish tank air tubing), you could drill bigger holes in the lids and restring with that. Mine love to chew on that.

I use it to make a open end taco with the square hammock (also called trampolene and parachute). Hard to explain, but I cut a lenth of this tubing just short of depth of their cage, make a tight slip knot at each end, attach c links, stretch and hook to front and back, fold the hammock in half, at the back of cage I attach both loops together with a c link hook to cage, and on the front loops, I add c links to each loop till it stretches to cage bars in front, spread open so they can sit inside to chill or climb on the top. Hum, maybe I need to take a pic! But I got off track here!

I would definitely wake them up early... But they all must purge...

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/19/17 07:49 PM

I would definitely wake them up early... But they all must purge...

& purge they did. My four really are full of [beep].

Before that, I had them cuddle with me for a while to settle down after being pulled from the cage. Then I had a treat for them: a new tent!

They LOVE thier new play tent. Woke them up around 1830 & gave them a bit over an hour to frolic about. The boys ran out of steam early, but my girls never slowed down. They really enjoyed jumping from me, to the walls, & back. A constant scurry up & down, leap & glider. They'd only pause for a moment on me for a quick sniff or tail flick before away they went again.

While Arthur did have to nap in the middle, he got back in to the spirit of exploring the tent after being teased out with a feather. I think my big boy managed to burn a few calories at least.

Merlin, well... he explored a bit then just kept trying to find places to perch. Then hide. I pulled him out a few times, then he'd hang with me getting petted before slinking away to hide again. *sigh* He's so my work in progress.

This tent was a great buy... according to them. I'll see if this play time helps with thier volume at night. Now to care for all the scratches I've earned from thier many, many, many bad landings across my arms. Good thing they're cute.

Re: Gliders of the Round Table 3 - 01/19/17 08:05 PM

Another thread filled... but fear not: The saga will continue in the next installment of 'The Gliders of the Round Table!' So, from Arthur, Gywnevere, Merlin, Morgana, and myself: Hope to hear from you in Chapter IV.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL