GliderCENTRAL

They're heeeeerrrre!!!!!

Posted By: MelissaVoicer

They're heeeeerrrre!!!!! - 11/06/16 03:32 AM

thanks for the advice and answers while we waited for the babies, but I am now a new glider mom! Our little fluffs are like "cheating" though because unfortunately, their mom rejected them 1 week OOP so the couple who bred them syringe-fed diligently until they were 7 weeks when they self-weaned and started solids. So they're completely tame and we didn't have to go through bonding at all! They were absolutely fine with the kids and me right off the bat! The only crabbing they do is when one of them steps on the other changing positions in their bonding pouch. I am feeding BML and they took right to it. Surprised since they'd only had green beans, Apple sauce, egg and freeze dried mealies with vitamins before... I know my BML is watery. I think I was supposed to put the optional Apple juice on top of the ice cube trays as "frosting?" Next time...They got their first live mealies today and loved those too! And to top it off, Kroger happened to be throwing out a bunch of bruised fruit and veggies (just ugly, not rotten) and so they let me pick through it for free. There was even I nice papaya that they loved! Looking forward to swapping suggie stories with you!

Posted By: Feather

Re: They're heeeeerrrre!!!!! - 11/06/16 03:54 AM

Cute! Congrats!
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: They're heeeeerrrre!!!!! - 11/06/16 03:58 AM

mlove How adorable!!!

I hope everything goes well. :thumb2:
Posted By: KarenE

Re: They're heeeeerrrre!!!!! - 11/06/16 06:28 PM

Just so cute we can't stand it, and your face tells us all we need to know :lshower:
Posted By: TwoDog

Re: They're heeeeerrrre!!!!! - 11/06/16 07:52 PM

Congratz! Welcome to the madness.
Being able to handle them right out of the box! Jealous!
They are great!
Posted By: Pixel

Re: They're heeeeerrrre!!!!! - 11/07/16 06:37 AM

They're adorable!! So excited for you.

We're feeding BML right now too. I've never used the "frosting" method - it should be apple sauce not apple juice - but I think it's intended as an occasional treat or to get suggies interested in the diet, not as a nightly thing. I do make my BML mix with apple juice, some of the other "modified leadbeaters" diets do not use apple juice.

My BML is about the texture of apple sauce or yogurt when thawed and the texture of ice cream when frozen. You may want to check your measurements because if your texture is abnormally thin, it's possible you made a mistake somewhere. Sugar glider diets are precisely calculated for suggie nutritional requirements so any adjustment in the diet can throw things off and cause problems in the long term.

As a last point, BML has a strict list of appropriate fruits and vegetables that are intended to accompany the diet. If this list isn't followed, you're not really following the BML diet and the balance - especially the calcium:phosphorous ratio - can be thrown off, which can lead to serious issues like metabolic bone disease. It's okay to feed other fruits and veggies as occasional treats, but make sure you are sticking to this list most nights.

I buy my fruits and veggies frozen and thaw them nightly with the BML nectar as gliders don't eat enough produce to make it practical to store fresh produce in the fridge.
Posted By: Hutch

Re: They're heeeeerrrre!!!!! - 11/07/16 08:04 AM

mlove

Re: They're heeeeerrrre!!!!! - 11/07/16 04:23 PM

ha ha! Karen E, Thanks! But those are my sons, not me smile

Re: They're heeeeerrrre!!!!! - 11/07/16 04:25 PM

Comrade Fluffy (LOVE the handle!) yes, I know, I feel like I'm cheating smile but I'm NOT sorry wink Maybe I'll adopt a third fussy one to make up for it... smile

Re: They're heeeeerrrre!!!!! - 11/07/16 04:30 PM

Thanks Pixel! I was just going by the "safe fruits and veggies" list! frown So they can't have anything BUT corn, peas, carrots and greenbeans & apples, grapes watermellon, cantelope, pitted cherries and blueberries? Like they can't have that AND papaya?

I'm not sure what the deal is with the consistency. Now that it's frozen, it's definitely like hard frozen ice cream, and thawed, it's like apple sauce, so maybe it was just because it hadn't been frozen YET in that picture...? I followed the recipe EXACTLY smile Thanks again!!!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL