GliderCENTRAL

why torb??

Posted By: morksmom

why torb?? - 02/13/07 11:46 PM

I see most say Torb is given after nuetering why is this?Is there not a medicine that will last longer? Just need as much info as possible before nuetering.

so far I got leave the pom on with no glue or stitche?

why antibiotics also?
Posted By: Srlb

Re: why torb?? - 02/14/07 12:28 AM

When I had mine neutered (poms off) my vet gave me RIMADYL for the pain management. It is affective and does not make them as drowsy as the torb from what I am told. I cant say that for certain though as I have never used to torb but have had good luck with the Rimadyl. thumb
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: why torb?? - 02/14/07 12:38 AM

Torb is probably the most common. My guys got metacam, which, I believe if used for long term can have negative side effects. For a short term thing in the case of neutering, 5-7 days, the metacam is fine. My vet actually used the torb to sort of "knock him out" post neuter. Just a little extra something to help him sleep during the day right after.
I also didn't get antibiotics, and my vet didn't say they were necessary. However, the antibiotics would be to prevent any infection that may occur at the surgery site. Like, if you went to the doctor and got surgery, even something fairly minor (as far as human surgeries go, I guess), they would for sure give you antibiotics.
Posted By: Xglider

Re: why torb?? - 02/14/07 12:39 AM

I can’t give an opinion on ‘why’ … I just don’t know that… I can tell you when happened with Mango’s neuter … poms removed, and torb…

The antibiotics to prevent opportunistic infections…
Posted By: morksmom

Re: why torb?? - 02/14/07 12:09 PM

bump
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: why torb?? - 02/14/07 04:20 PM

Torb is the medication of preference for neutering because it also has a sedative factor, unlike the other pain meds available. The sedative factor is helpful in preventing self-mutilation post-neutering.

Other pain meds that are sometimes prescribed instead are Rimadyl & Metacam. The Metacam is a good pain med because it is also an anti-inflammatory. This is what my vet prescribes.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: why torb?? - 02/14/07 05:10 PM

Metacam given long term can cause liver damage (I think it is liver, could be kidney). Metacam shouldn't really be used for more than 5 days.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: why torb?? - 02/14/07 07:55 PM

Correct - Metacam can cause Liver damage...
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL