GliderCENTRAL

possible cause of liver problems

Posted By: the gliders angel

possible cause of liver problems - 08/30/08 05:10 AM

i asked my vet who owns a bush baby about why all the liver issues. her opinion was too much fat in the diet. such as too many mealies. she told me people who have gliders tell her but they like the mealies. 2 a day wont hurt but most of us use more than 2. i know there are illnesses that can cause liver issues too. but this is something to think about as a possible cause. and not all gliders can be affected. jus t like some people can smoke and never get lung cancer.
Posted By: konotashi

Re: possible cause of liver problems - 08/30/08 05:14 AM

So giving them too many mealies can cause it? I'm guessing a lot of wax worms are out of the question?
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: possible cause of liver problems - 08/30/08 02:54 PM

I wonder, I know some people have more issues with fat than others. Could it be the same with gliders?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: possible cause of liver problems - 08/30/08 04:38 PM

I think it's very possible.

I wanted to do a study including the fatty tumors some people have reported on gliders' livers to see if there is a correlation to diet. But no one will make it a sticky and it is now lost among the other threads. So now there can be no study frown

The study that actually was funded and performed comparing BML and a couple of other diets a few years back didn't mention much about fat that I can recall but was concerned that we had too many vitamins possibly in some of our glider diets that might cause organ stress.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: possible cause of liver problems - 08/31/08 03:27 AM

Too much iron in a diet is a HUGE issue when it comes to the liver...
Posted By: the gliders angel

Re: possible cause of liver problems - 08/31/08 04:35 AM

yes gliders are prone to iron storage disease and yes too many vits can cause it too. so you have fat food high in iron, bacterial infection and thats why the more varity of all types food is best. that is what i learned.

Re: possible cause of liver problems - 08/31/08 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: pappy1264
I wonder, I know some people have more issues with fat than others. Could it be the same with gliders?

I think it's very true. All my gliders are on BML, and with a few exceptions from other causes all have been healthy.

Right now I'm dealing with opposite ends of the spectrum, obesity and underweight. Both problems seem to be in part age related, as both the weight gain and weight loss started at about 5 years old.

My most obese glider is 200g, 3 years ago she weighed 140g. My underweight is maintaining at about 71g, both in the same family, but the underweight is an accidental inbred and has never weighed more than 90g.

Re: possible cause of liver problems - 08/31/08 02:18 PM

Sorry, I guess my post had little to do with livers, fat, and iron, but the liver issue is definitely related to many factors. I meant to add that blood tests show both gliders have normal liver function.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL