GliderCENTRAL

Post Neuter SM?

Posted By: MatchMakerMagic

Post Neuter SM? - 11/01/07 10:27 PM

Suggie was neutered today and I have bad news. The neuter went good according to the vet, but immediately post OP after coming to, Suggie chewed the site. The vet put him back under and put a couple stitches in and more pain meds, but after coming back to he again went after the site tearing a good length of his belly this time. Again, a third time he went back into surgury and was re-sewn and given even more pain medications.

When I went to pick him up the vet described to me what happened and gave me his baytril, torb, and metacam and instructions for all of them. He immediately climbed up my body, bit my hand (he only got nail so it didn't hurt), and ran into my shirt where he likes to sleep. He pretty much immediately fell asleep after what I can imagine was a long painful day.

When he was still in the pouch with the vet tech he was trying to get at the site, but after he climbed into my shirt he calmed down and hasn't tried since. He's slept most the time so far but Im worried about him overnight and may require a 24hr watch. Im prepared to do this if its needed.

I guess what I need to know is #1: The two pain meds she recommends me giving to him both until they run out.
Torb and Metacam.

#2: Where is the list of supplies for the Ecollar incase I need to make one for him? I found the instructions and the pictures but am still confused (Im not thinking well because of panic). Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/01/07 10:39 PM

hug2 I'm so sorry that your little one has had such a difficult time! Here is the ecolar info
How to make an ecolar
I would suggest that you have the ecolar made and ready to put on him... when the medication starts to wear off he will go after his surgical site again...so please get one ready and until you do have one keep him ON YOU and keep a close eye on him.

For your questions on the medications I strongly advise that you call your vet to get a clarification, we can not suggest what the dosage or length of treatment should be.

Sending you lots of hugs and prayers.....Please keep us posted.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/01/07 10:54 PM

I will call the vet tomorrow, I already have a message in to her voicemail about the length of time for each. I was just concerned about the metacam in specific. I think I saw somewhere that it isn't recommended past three(?) days due to the chance of liver damage. The vet did NOT mention this, I would consider that piece of information valuable!!! I just wanted to make sure so I have a little piece of mind. I'm making dinner for my human family now, but afterwards I am running to walmart to pick up the supplies.

Where do I find the "template"? I can find all the supplies at walmart right?

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/01/07 11:05 PM

The Template is on the site that I gave you the link to.

Metacam - this should only be given for a few days due to possible liver damage.

Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/01/07 11:09 PM

Kinue, I am so sorry this has happened to you and suggie. I had the same thing happen. I couldn't find a template either. Please if someone could tell Kinue where a template can be found that would be very helpful. The vet made an ecollar for Sydney out of xray film. But didn't have enough padding on it for his neck. I sent you a pm. Yes you should be able to find everything at walmart.

Anna
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/01/07 11:43 PM

If you need, take a peice of fleece about 12 to 16" square and wrap him up like a burrito starting with the corner at his belly and rolling him up. Fold back the part by his head. This will not only make him feel more secure but will stop him from being able to chew his belly. (also helps prevent him from being able to bite)

Metacam is the one you don't want to use more than three days. It does have the advantage of being an anti-inflamitory so will help reduce any swelling he has from the surgery and the chewing.

What ever it takes, do NOT let him do any more damage to himself.

Please, call me if you need help with the ecollar and how to get him set up for life IN an ecollar. 620 215 4857

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/01/07 11:59 PM

Okay I did find the template on the link you provided and I am going to try and print it out so I can trace it.

This is my first experience with a suggie neuter, on my first glider ever so you can BET I wont let him do more damage!!! I read all the stories before and have been to the SM site to research months ago just in case! But I have been foolish and not had the supplies on hand! frown

I am going to try and put together the collar and thank you all for providing such quick support and guidance! I wont hesitate to call if I need further help, but I appoligize up front for being so emotional over this, but Im just scared for him...

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 12:26 AM

No apologies necessary sweetie hug2 ....we totally understand.... This is what we are here for.... heart

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 01:30 AM

I've got the collar made, but I guess my problem is, Im afraid to choke him! It seems like it doesn't get snug enough that he cant thrash around (Im trying to hold him still while he's wearing it because he's very scard Im sure) and pull it off without cutting off his air!

At one point he got mad at me and slipped out and immediately went after the site!!! Im so scard!

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 01:41 AM

please help

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 02:12 AM

Do you have someone who can help hold him for you?
You'll probably have more success with the collar with 2 people until you get used to it, and she stops fighting so hard. Have the second person hold the glider down with thumbs along the spine, and you'll kind of need to (GENTLY) pull her head toward you so she doesn't scrunch her neck to get the collar wrapped around-then tape. It can take a few tries to get it straight. If you can just get it on, and let her fight it out (a blanket on the floor works), she should be calmer later to reposition it if it doesn't come off.
Try and relax....the more stressed you are the more stressed he will be....call me if you need to....620-382-3228

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Dancing
If you need, take a peice of fleece about 12 to 16" square and wrap him up like a burrito starting with the corner at his belly and rolling him up. Fold back the part by his head. This will not only make him feel more secure but will stop him from being able to chew his belly. (also helps prevent him from being able to bite)

If you need to take a few minutes to regroup, at least try this until you feel more relaxed.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 02:35 AM

How do I know if its too tight?

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 02:59 AM

Im pretty sure he's done damage to his site again. Either by mouth or from struggling like he has. The site looks bad. I can count at least five stiches. And inbetween the stitches is what worries me. It appears there is a hole of some sort that you cant really see down into, because its dark... Back to the vet tomorrow for us its looking like. I hope she doesn't take the Ecollar off, I think I've finally got it so it wont come off but isn't strangling him. Wish us luck.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 03:41 AM

I'm glad you were able to get the collar on hug2 hug2

I would definitely take him to the vet tomorrow and just insist that she leave the ecollar on. It's your pet you just need to be firm. I can't see where she would have a problem with it though. Heck whatever you can do to keep him from doing more damage to himself. You've done good!!! Take a deep breath and know that you have done everything you can to keep him from hurting himself further. You'll need to keep that ecollar on him until he is completely healed. That means you will need to feed him a certain way. Here is a link to when I had my problem. feeder Look down halfway and Jen has posted links to the feeders. They really do work. Sydney had his neuter done on Oct1 and is still wearing the ecollar. His site looks really good but take it from me you do not want to take the collar off until he is completely healed. I did ant that is why he is wearing it for so long. Still kicking myself over that. Feel free to call me tomorrow if you want to talk or need help with anything. 540-265-5115 that's were I'll be during the day.

Anna

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 03:42 AM

OK as long as his nose IS NOT turning purple, he should be alright. Make sure you continue to give him the pain medication as directed. Also, make sure you keep him hydrated with plenty of liquids. Keep him warm! Did they give you any antibiotics?
Please, if he does look any worse, if your vet can not see him tonight, is there any way that you can get him into a 24 hour emergency clinic? If you let me know where you are located, I can help locate one for you.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 03:58 AM

It just wont stay on. He struggles and gets his head out. I just dont know what else to do.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 04:01 AM

Please call me now.... 620-382-3228
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 04:21 AM

Please call me or send me a pm with your number and I'll call you. We will get Bourbon on a three way call so we can help you though this.

Please, we can help you so much easier over the phone. There are just some things that are hard to describe and help with over the internet.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 05:25 AM

I've spoken with Linda (well, cried is more what happened), and I've tried again with the collar. I can't seem to get it tight enough to stay on but his nose gets darker when he's trying to pull it over his head. Once he settles down the color goes back to pink. Too tight?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 05:31 AM

Pink is OK, as long as the nose isn't turning super dark or purple.

The Metacam thing...depends on the vet you ask. My vet is very experienced with exotics, and she put my glider on Metacam for 5 days after his neuter, and said that he would need it for more days at higher dosages to do damage to his liver or kidneys.

I definitely would get him to the vet tomorrow, and getting (and keeping) an e-collar on him is your #1 priority...I hope it is going better now...our thoughts are with you hug2
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 05:32 AM

Just a small suggestion (might have already been suggested but in case it has not) when you put it on him mark where you tape it so if he gets it off you will know to go a tiny bit tighter. And will have something to go by.

Wishing your little guy well. i am sorry this is happening to you both.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 05:43 AM

I just got off the phone with Kinue, she has been able to get Suggies ecolar on, he is doing alright right now. GOOD JOB Kinue! clap She is going to be taking him back to the vet first thing in the morning just to make sure his surgical site is ok.
Now go get some sleep sweetie! Will keep you and Suggie in my thoughts and prayers. heart

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 08:18 AM

Sorry you had trouble getting the ecolar on Kinue. Linda you are awesome!! So glad you were able to help. Kinue please update as soon as you get back from the vet. Praying for this little guy!!! Brenda what a great idea, I never even thought to do that with Sydney.

Anna

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 10:27 AM

Im off with suggie to my work, work is close to the vet and I'll try to get a little done before I leave over to the vets at about 7:00am. They open at 7:30 so I want to be waiting at the door. Thanks everyone for your help so far. I will update after the vet.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 01:42 PM

So we are home from the vet.

The small hole was there when he went home yesterday. The vet said the basically shredded the skin and that it will heal. She recommends 7-10 days for the ecollar and thought it was a very good idea. I got my questions answered about he medications and reassurance that everything with the site was okay. They cleaned the area up a little bit and sent us home with piece of mind.

I am very greatful to everyone who helped and offered suggestions. I did figure out to mark the tape since the main problem was either too loose or too tight. Im bringing him back to work with me for 24hr care. He's peacefully sleeping back in my shirt for now.

Once again, thank you for everything and I'll keep everyone updated.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 02:01 PM

I'm so glad to hear that everything's okay smile That's such a relief! hug2

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 02:49 PM

That is awesome Kinue, I am so glad to hear he is doing good and that you have piece of mind as well. I know it is very stressful. Keeping you both in my prayers!!!

Anna

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 03:34 PM

hug2 I'm so happy to hear that everything is alright. Will be keeping you and Suggie in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you will be able to get some rest tonight.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/02/07 08:51 PM

Thank you for updating us and I am glad he is doing better now. Please update us in a few days on how he is doing!!
You did just fine last night..as this is very scarey.
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/03/07 07:05 AM

My vet would disagree. With the metacam, gliders do not metabolize it the same way as the animals it was designed for, larger placental mammals, and long term on larger animals can cause problems too. Longer than 3 days and the risk goes up exponentially. When Lyah had to be on it a little longer for her mouth, my vet gave me a list of things to look for (most of which I knew from Chronos). Animals and anti inflammatories really aren't meant for each other-it's why Advil will kill a dog or cat that eats it-I've seen them die from it-and thats basically what Metacam is. It's just one of those drugs extreme caution needs to be used with. It will also destroy the kidneys along with the liver, with that one. If you can use Torb or Butorphenol for better pain relief if inflammation is under control, don't have those side effects to worry about, can administer more often as needed, and for longer duration without damage, why play with the Metacam? It's only benefit really is the anti inflammatory effect. If that is needed, then Metacam is great, with caution...it won't help if it ends up destroying their organs and shortening their life. And watching a glider die of liver failure isn't particularly enjoyable.

I'm glad you got the collar on, and sorry you & your guy have to go thru this. Keep watch and make sure he doesn't get out of it, remove any hard toys from the cage he could fall on, and put hammocks to catch him if he does fall.

Be prepared that with the amount of damage he did, he may have to stay in that collar until he is healed, which could mean 2-3 weeks before he won't go after himself.

How are you doing on feeding and sleeping arrangements for him?

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/03/07 12:14 PM

I have some hammocks for him and I've padded the bottom of his cage with fleese. I've also made a tunnel type of area for him to crawl into when he's in the cage during the day for sleeping. But really he hasn't used it cause I've had him with me basically for all but 8 hours so far since Thrus. at 4 pm. He sleeps wrapped burrito style in my shirt for most the day.

I help him eat (I've bought the feeders specifically for the collars) the watered down BML. He's very frusterated with trying to eat anything not lickable since he cant use his hands. Actually I've been worried he hasn't been getting enough. I've offered all his normal meal (BML-watered down, fruit & veggies, insects) but it seems he's only eating a small amount of fruits and veggies (fed by hand) and a small amount of the BML. Only thing he eats REALLY well is the insects and because he's only eating little of the others I've let him have his fill of mealies and waxies. Not the most balanced diet but I just want him to eat period! He's drinking his water fine out of his bottle, I make sure to bring it to him every couple hours when he's sleeping or awake.

I also help with his bowel movements. Clean him up afterwards and all. He's a messy eater so he's had his face cleaned a couple times so far, much to his dismay. Things are okay I think. I would like an easier way for him to get his fruit and veggies, and was thinking of making smoothies out of them for him. Not sure though. Could use some guidence there.

I sent you a PM Xfilefan, did you get it?

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/03/07 12:31 PM

I didn't get a PM-no idea why. My inbox has about 30 left until I'm at my limit. dunno

You can make smoothies or use babyfood. They get really frustrated without their hands-Riker did. Also, if you're concerned if he loses weight, you might want to offer some Ensure also. It'll provide his vitamis and some extra calories for while he isn't eating as much-to help keep his weight up and keep him healthy. Try sending the PM again, and I'll go double check my box. confused

plenty of room in there, it should be able to go thru. What seems to happen sometimes, too, is people get me and Xglider confused because of our X's-and he ends up with some of my mail on occasion.

I have a huge 18th birthday party going on for my son this weekend, so won't be on a whole lot the next couple of days. Here's my cell # if you need anything and I'm not here, too: 435-640-9438

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/03/07 02:34 PM

Okay, I think the PM's have made it to you!

I am going to pick up the ensure and baby food today. I think it will be easiest while he's in this stage of it all.

His site is looking "wet" for lack of better description. Has anyone who's had a glider open up their abdomen seen this? I called the vet, Dr. Baker isn't there but the office personel are putting a call in to her to ask for me. She's made special arrangements with the staff that if I have any problems or questions to contact her IMMEDIATELY for consultaion or special visits. So still waiting for her. Its not from urine cause that area is clean, just along the stitched area.

He's doing better today with navigation! He seems to be getting around better. I've modified his cage so he cannot get higher then about 18inches up. His cage is 18 inches deep and 30 inches long. I think this is enough room for him to get around do his glider things without being able to hurt himself. But like I said, he's not usually in there, but with me. I think this will work for now.

Thanks again!!!

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/03/07 03:18 PM

hug2 I'm happy to see all the progress that your making with Suggie. It looks like Jen is giving you some great information and advice.
As for the "wetness" it could be that his incision is driaing, so I would make sure that it stays as clean as you can keep it.
Your doing a fantastic job with him. Hopefully within the next week or so things will look much better.
Sending you tons of Hugs and Prayers. Don't hesitate to call if you need to. heart

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/03/07 03:32 PM

He hates me touching the area, but I've got help to hold him. Plus with the collar on its harder for him to bite. lol. So that part is nice! I'll try and clean him up later. The Doc also agrees is probably draining. She asked if there was pus, I told her no, like clear fluid and agreed it was the healing kind. So we'll see. I'm starting a photo journal of his injury. If anyone is interested let me know.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/03/07 04:29 PM

Wow I'm so glad it's turned out okay!!!

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/03/07 05:25 PM

I replied to your PM. Let me know. smile

And I'd be interested in pics, most definitely.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/03/07 08:21 PM

Please post pictures I would like to see them.

You are doing great and glad he is doing better.

Hugs

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/04/07 01:17 AM

Okay, here they are.

November 1, 2007
Day of his neuter: Feeling "medicated" sleeping in my shirt before Ecollar
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/mini-sugars003.jpg

November 3, 2007
Tonight after cleaning the site.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/mini-sugars005.jpg

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/04/07 01:21 AM

Oops, I knew about that rule, I just picked the wrong link!!! Sorry!!!

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/04/07 01:38 PM

Wow that is a reality check on self mutilaion..thank you for posting these so we can all see what happens when gliders do this.
How is he doing today and can you post a few pictures every few days so we can see his recovery (not too many we do not want to stress him)

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/04/07 01:59 PM

You got that right Brenda. Wow Kinue you and you little one are in my thoughts and prayers!!

Anna

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/04/07 02:29 PM

The ensure and baby food with the skinny bird feeders has worked out well. I still offer the BML but water it down with the ensure. He still hates when I have to hand feed him since I do still offer solids... Poor guy just doesn't give up trying to use his hands. But his activity is great, alert and using the whole cage and getting around perfectly! Still he seems he's having trouble with seeing and hearing because of the cone shape of the collar. Like he can see/hear your if he's looking directly at you with collar pointed towards the sounds. Otherwise he just looks confused.

I'll try pics when he's sleeping. He sleeps like a rock so they shouldn't be too stressful for him. I would like to record the daily progress if it doesn't stress him. I'll let him determine how many days I get pics.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/05/07 03:29 AM

11/4/07

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/11-04-2007.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/11-04-07.jpg

Thought I would mention too that he slipped out of his collar twice today when I was cleaning it earlier tonight. Does the molefoam pad down a bit with wear? Anyone have this happen? Lucky for me I marked the tape when I got it right and put it a little tighter a couple eighths of an inch. Im sort of sad that he naps so well with the medications because I'd like to see him try to get out like when I got it on the first time!

I wish he would wake up and make an attempt! I dont want to find out tomorrow he got it off during the night for any length of time!

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/05/07 11:24 AM

Well despite getting it off twice yesterday he had it on when I got up this morning. Im not sure that he's even trying anymore to take it off. lol. He was waiting for me to wake up this morning, just watching me! When I finally opened my eye's there he was just staring at me. After I got up, he got really excited because he knows when Im awake, he's always with me!

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/05/07 01:33 PM

I would think the Molefoam would get padded down a bit you did good re-adjusting it! It sounds like he is doing better and he is lovin his Momma. Your doing good and Thank you fir posting pictures as he progresses it is very helpful for everyone to see what happens with SM.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/05/07 02:37 PM

I don't know how I missed this one ohwell

Where in Florida are you? I live in Tallahassee - but will be in Melbourne over the next couple of weekends for a wedding and all the events leading up to one tounge so I am driving from the big bend area to central east Florida quite a bit.

I had my first glider require a partial castration due to SM and another little joey who tore up his neuter incision site as well - so I have been through the e-collar life several times.

If you need any help - please feel free to ask. I do have an extra e-collar I got from Jen (Xfilefan) who is wonderful at making them. For whatever reason, the collars I make never fit as well as the ones she makes heart If you are still having difficulties with yours, let me know and possibly we can meet up so I can get you the collar I have and make sure it is fitting right. It is extremely important that he not be able to get out of the collar and do any more damage.

Good luck with your little one and please don't hesitate to ask for help hug2

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/05/07 04:20 PM

Oh sorry I didnt specify, he got the collar off twice while I was cleaning the site. So he was in my hands when it happened so I got it right back on him.

Im in South FL, Lake Worth (Palm Beach County) to be exact. I have three collars coming from Jen in the mail this week so I will have a few on hand and if he needs a replacement for this episode I'll be ready.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/06/07 01:48 AM

11/05/07

The skin is has a yellow tint and the vet says healing still. Still draining a little bit. She said I can bring him in at any time I feel I'd like her to take a look. She's also been calling checking on me since she hasn't heard from me yet! lol Its nice to have a decent vet.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/11-05.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/11-5.jpg

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/06/07 12:40 PM

One thing comes to mind in looking at the pictures... have you been rinsing the site with sterile saline? If not, ask your vet about it. I know that I had to do that with both Gizmo & Mareki when they were SMing. In addition, due to the scabbing, fur matting, etc. the vet had me buy a Nit-Pick (for getting lice out of hair) to comb out the fur around the site after loosening it with the saline rinse. This was so that the wound would remain clean and it helped to prevent infection. Since the glider is in an e-collar, normal grooming can not occur, so I actually used the Nit-Pick on their overall coats to help keep them clean while they couldn't take care of grooming themselves.
Thanks for the continued updates on your little guy. hug2 hug2 hug2 You're doing a great job with him!!!

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/06/07 03:28 PM

Its nice to have the vet call and check in on me. With everything going on this past week its easy to lose track of time. Im going to ask her today about cleaning up the site. I really feel it will help the healing process and allow the drainage to be cleaned more easily. I am rinsing the site with the sterile saline. I have been wiping the area with sterile gauze. I think the nip pick would be a big help! Thanks for the idea!

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/07/07 12:43 PM

You're very welcome... other options would be a flea comb (for cats) or an eyelash/brow comb (for humans)...

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/15/07 11:38 PM

Sorry to take so long to update. Had a bit of a family emergency. I've been taking pictures when I can and will include them below. He's doing alright, at weigh in last vet visit he was 112 from 104 (good amount of that is probably collar) ounces but more important, didn't lose any!

I have since gotten his SM snuggle tunnel, new collars, and more hammocks and he loves all of them except the collar lol.

I plan to make a vet appointment for early next week, he's almost done with the antibiotics and still has plenty of torb, but I wanted her to see it and make sure its looking alright.

The collar is starting to leave a little hair loss. Its not broken skin but it seems the hair thinning where the collar meets his skin. I'd like her to have a look at that too.

Anyway, here are the updated pics!!!

11-9-2007
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/11-9-2007.jpg

11-10-2007
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/11-10-2007.jpg

11-12-2007
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/11-12-07.jpg

11-12-2007
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/11-12-2007.jpg

11-15-2007
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/11-15-2007.jpg

Snuggle Tunnel courtesy of Xfilefan!!! (Thank you!)
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/sugars011.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/sugars014.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/sugars008.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/sugars013.jpg

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/15/07 11:39 PM

Oh, and in the pics if he looks wet, its cause Im still rinsing the area.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/15/07 11:47 PM

clap He is looking great! I've been wondering how things were going, Thank you for the pics and update. It looks like he has made out pretty good with all the wonderful new items and toys.
I hope that everything else is alright, you mentioned something about an emergency...Praying that all is well. hug2

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/16/07 01:45 AM

Kinue, he is looking much better! Thanks for updating. Sydney had major hair loss around the collar. He is out of the collar and hair is growing back. His even got raw and the vet just gave us more antibiotics. You are doing great keep up the good work.

Anna

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/16/07 12:36 PM

I can see the improvement in the progression of pictures. Thanks for posting an update for us hug2 I hope your family emergency is all taken care of now.
When Mareki was in an e-collar for an extended period due to her SMing, her neck became raw from the rubbing of the collar. The vet had me put Silver Sulfadiazine Cream (SSR) on her neck to help prevent infection there. It really helped a lot.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/16/07 12:39 PM

Just thought of another thing I did for Mareki's neck...
Each evening, I would place her wheel on my coffee table. Then I'd take her e-collar off of her and put her in the wheel. Every time she'd stop running and start trying to groom herself, I'd nudge her to start running again. When she started to get tired, then I'd hold her for awhile until she'd get antsy, then put her back in the wheel. This allowed her to get exercise (which is hard to do when wearing an e-collar) and gave her neck a rest from the collar, too thumb

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/16/07 01:55 PM

Thank you for posting picturs of Kinue. He is looking better. You are doing a good job with him and I hope he is being a good boy for you. I was thinking of you both the other day. I hope your family situation is better...

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/16/07 02:08 PM

I like that idea! He hasn't been able to use his wheel since the surgury. He has been climbing as high as he can and using all of the cage space he has. He's been such a trooper through this whole thing. I just cant wait for these scabs to go away.

When is it considered safe to keep the ecollar off? When I switched the collars I did let him do a little grooming to the other parts of his body. He was mostly interested in giving his neck a good scratch and cleaning his hands and feet. When he started getting closer to the site I recollared him and let him rest a while with me.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/16/07 07:28 PM

I think you need to leave the collar on until the scabs are gone as then it is completely healed. If he picks a scab then there will be a sore or raw spot for him to pick at and possibly reopen. You have come soooo far we don't want a relapse.

Keep talkin to us we will send you encourgement when you need it.

HUGS your doing good!

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/16/07 07:42 PM

This whole thing has definately changed his level of trust with me. When I had to collar off he let me look at his neck and other parts with bare hands and didn't even bite or look like he wanted to bite. Actually, as long as I get him a rub down he let me do just about everything I needed too without biting.

He was a biter before. Someone in his past taught him to bite since whenever he came close to skin he would immediately clamp down. Its amazing what he let me do to him without having to wrap him up for fear of a bite.

He's my special man and Im just glad with his past he's been given the chance to trust a person this much.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/16/07 08:43 PM

Oh I remember all so well when you were so afraid that he was never going to trust you because of all the difficulty you had with trying to get the ecolar on him initially.
See, I told ya, he'd turn out to be the most loving and trusting little fella..... roflmao
You did a remarkable job, I know how hard all this was on you. hug2

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/16/07 11:44 PM

You are right Linda, and thank you for the kind words and middle of the night help. I thought with how upset he was that he'd never forgive me. I had just come to a point where he was starting to trust me when all this happened.

I honestly thought he was going to hate me. But with carrying him around for two weeks he's become really bonded.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/19/07 11:00 PM

It's not recommended as a bonding technique, but the SMs tend to form some of the absolute CLOSEST bonds with their people, even more than a glider that never has, for some reason.

Keep meaning to come reply and say I'm really happy he's enjoying his tunnel, hug2 and was hoping for a new update? How's he doing and how does the wound look?

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/19/07 11:18 PM

Im going to take a pic later when he wakes up, but he's doing okay. I think his scabs are stuck in his hair. And they are large scabs because of the nature of the original wound. Im still a little worried about the middle of the site, it appears still open some. The vet is suppose to call me if anyone cancels before the appointment time so I can get in earlier. We'll see what she says.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/19/07 11:23 PM

Try holding him and soaking the area with a warm, wet washcloth a few times a day...10 min or so. Don't rub...just soak. It will help to soften the scabs and get them loose if they're ready to come off. The rest will heal with time. And remember to keep him on you until he's dry-you can dab at the wet area with plain tissues to help absorb the water quicker. Let us know what the vet says

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/20/07 12:05 AM

The vet is probably tired of seeing me by now! I just brought a litter of mini doxies for her to check out on Saturday. lol I will keep you updated.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/21/07 12:06 PM

So you can see in the pics the top scab has come off leaving behind some yucky skin. The bottom scab is trying to lift away from the skin and under that I can see some yucky yellow skin/remaining wound under that one as well. I hope the vet has good news for me...

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/SuggieSurgury.jpg

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/21/07 01:31 PM

Wow his boo boo has come a long way. It looks good considering the damage he did. I bet he will feel a lot better with those scabs off and then everything will start to dry out more and heal faster now. I am pretty sur ethat the yellow is just from the scabs being over the skin and being somewhat moist. Fingerts crossed he will get a good report from the vet.

You are doing great with him.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/22/07 01:40 AM

Well the vet says he looks alright. She didn't expect this to take this long to heal and thinks its because of the extensive scabbing/matting. The big scab is still hanging on to a little bit of skin in the middle but she said should come off soon. She also thinks the sooner the large scab comes off the sooner it will heal completely.

He weighs 110 g with the new collar which I believe is lighter than the one I made because the plastic is thinner. When i find that old collar I'll weigh it to be sure.

I've also received my scale in the mail today and had a fun time getting weights on the suggies and the puppies! I should be able to accurately watch his weight from here on out to make sure there are no big fluctuations.

I'll keep the photo journal going once this scab comes off or a couple days pass and the upper part starts to get better.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/22/07 01:46 AM

Are you soaking his tummy at all? That should help. If it's simply matted in the fur at some point, and far enough out you can get some small scissors under without touching his skin, you could try trimming some off. Shaving can cause problems, but a trim is okay IF it's feasible. Don't if it's not safe, or the scab still attached but it's something you can keep an eye on. hug2

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/22/07 02:10 AM

I was planing on trying exactly that when its away from the skin enough to get scissors under there safely with no danger of cutting his skin. At one very small point the skin is still attached to the scab, but that should lift away soon enough.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/22/07 02:35 AM

So here are the new pics tonight after the flush. The vet recommended peroxide to help dry it up. Anyone else use peroxide on their suggies? The large scab that had the remaining part of the undesolved stiches is out, just the middle that is kind of yucky still is covered with the scab. But you'll notice the scab is much much smaller since I trimmed away the areas that were completely lifted away from skin. I still need to do a final peroxide flush of the area so the debris is removed.

What do you guys think?

11-21-07

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/11-21-07.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/11-21-071.jpg

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/22/07 06:22 AM

It looks better for sure. Thank you so much for sharing this with us all to see. It sure makes you more aware of what they can do in a short amount of time.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/25/07 01:07 PM

Well, the scabbing is off and its looking real good. Still needs more time to heal but looking fabulous! My mother borrowed my camera but I'll take pics of it with my work camera and post those later today!

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/25/07 02:01 PM

Can't wait to see new pics! smile

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/25/07 02:33 PM

I'm anxious to see how he is looking too! Your doing a wonderful job! He sure has come along way....it goes to show how alot of love, patience, and understanding brings peace to these little ones hearts. Thank you! hug2

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/25/07 02:36 PM

I can't wait either.

Anna

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/26/07 12:19 AM

So here are the pics. The more infocus one shows him "going" as well. And the less infocus one shows just the site.

11/25/07

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/11-25-071.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/11-25-07.jpg

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/26/07 12:25 AM

Considering all that he has gone thru, his wound is really starting to look much better. My heart hurts for him, and for you too......Thank you for the update, and for being such a wonderful mommy to him. hug2 hug2

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/26/07 12:36 AM

I think he is looking really well. You are doing a fantastic job with him Kinue!! Thank you for taking such good care of him. You are a wonderful suggie momma!!

Anna

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 11/26/07 12:45 AM

Thanks guys. He is starting to get a little raw around the collar. I think its back to the vet we go. frown

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 12/06/07 01:25 AM

Just wondering if there were any updates on this little one?

And...I just wanted to say that you've just done an amazing amazing job with this whole situation, and I thank you for sharing all the ups and downs with us.

I hope he is doing well...

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 12/06/07 05:17 PM

I will be posting the updated pictures tonight! smile

He OFFICIALLY is collar-less today!!!!!

He is fully healed but has a few rough spots on his neck from the collar. But it is healed but new hair hasn't grown in yet.

BIG thanks to everyone who helped and gave support!!

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 12/06/07 05:30 PM

dance dance clap dance dance That is wonderful news!!!! I am so happy to hear how remarkable things have gone considering all the trouble.
Big hug2 to the both of you!
PS-I bet he's "mommies" little boy now!

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 12/06/07 05:33 PM

I just realized he's been 36 days in the collar... Poor Baby!

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 12/06/07 05:53 PM

That is great news jump clap clap jump
Just wanted to tell you that you a wonderful suggie mommy for taking such good care of your baby, I am sure it was very hard and you deserve a big hug2

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 12/06/07 09:08 PM

You did a great job with this entire ordeal. I am so glad he is out of his collar. I can not wait to see pictures of him.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 12/07/07 03:29 AM

Okay here it is!!!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x205/matchmakersmagic/Suggie%20Neuter/suggiehealed003.jpg

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 12/14/07 03:27 AM

I just wanted to bump this up, incase there was anyone who could use my awufl experience with SM right now. He has made a FULL recovery and is happy and healthy now.

Re: Post Neuter SM? - 12/14/07 07:23 AM

clap I am so glad he is all better. You did a great job with him! Thank you for posting pictures. The photo's you have shown us over the last few weeks and this last one is a great example of SM and recovery.

© 2024 GliderCENTRAL