Posted By: DCMuffin

Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/20/11 12:06 PM

See Part One
Posted By: Nora

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/20/11 12:27 PM

Sending strength and good thoughts to both you and Simba
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/20/11 03:07 PM

I dropped Simba off with my vet. He said he will call and let me know if the swelling had gone down enough that he could get that stitch out of there. If it has he will let me know how he does when he removes it and what needs to happen next. If the swelling hasn't gone down enough he is going to try to get it down more because that stitch needs to come out asap.
I really hope the swelling has gone down enough!

At this point we don't know if he's going to pull through this. If he does my vet is hoping to try to save the penis. He did chew the tip off also. If he can't save his penis he will need to have it amputated. We are also waiting to see if he has any other damage from the stitches that were put in twice. There could be nerve damage or scaring. There could also be damage from his glands being drained. So right now it's just a wait and see and pray for the best outcome.
He is still deciding on when it will be safe enough to do the neuter.

I will give an update as soon as I hear something. I am such a wreck right now. I just want this mess to end and to have my little man back in good health and back to his sweet happy self.
I'm trying to upload some more pictures. Hopefully I will get them posted soon.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/20/11 05:20 PM

Poor little Simba. My heart just aches for what he has gone through (and for you too). I get so angry at those "vets" that think they know everything just because they have DVM after their name.

Constant good thoughts and prayers for Simba.
Posted By: SGQ

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/20/11 05:28 PM

Brandi~ you and Simba are in my prayers. I believe wholeheartedly in the power of prayer and to top it off he sounds like a little fighter!

I can't believe what you guys have been through! I'm so glad y'all are in capable hands now.
hug2
Posted By: PammyP

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/20/11 07:58 PM

Brandi,
His brothers, Killian & Reilly, and his Mommy and Daddy, Patty and Colum, are all sending get well soon glider thoughts his way. So are Eddie and I, and my sis, Juli, too. I know how upset you are....I'd be the same way if anything happened to my boys. frown
Big Hugs,
Posted By: angelic4296

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 02:24 AM

Brandi, I'm devastated reading this thread, and can't even imagine how you're feeling right now. On a sidenote, it brings me great joy at WHATEVER legal things are happening - that vet deserves all of it AND MORE. That's a wonderful point and reminder about taking pictures, for more than just one reason in fact....

I am praying hard for you and little Simba. I even wrote myself a note and left it on my dresser to say an extra prayer before I go to bed everynight. Thank you for taking the time to update all of us on his progress, it's very generous and kind of you.

You have the support of the entire community pulling for this poor peanut. I can't wait until that stitch is OUT and the swelling has gone way down. It sounds like your new vet is just wonderful and he's taking amazing care of Simba. I'll be checking back often for updates and in the meantime keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.....
Posted By: sunjana1

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 03:02 AM

First off I am so sorry Brandi that you and your guy are going through all of this! I know right now your focus is to get Simba comfortable and healthy - but if you decide in the future you would like to make a formal complaint regarding your experience, please let me know as I may be able to help you.

I read back a little to try and find this info out but couldn't find it...and being in Florida myself I would really appreciate a PM from anyone who knows the hospital and/or name of the first vet, if for no other reason than to be able to avoid them.
Posted By: Cora

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 03:18 AM

how is Simba tonight?

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 03:26 AM

I don't know if Brandi is even awake to post this evening since she was up all night with Simba. The vet was able to remove the stitch today - finally! When he did so, the swelling decreased even more. Simba is home again this evening with Brandi and will go back to the vet in the morning. He was looking much better this evening - he'd eaten and was finally going to the bathroom painlessly! Brandi's vet will be talking with others tomorrow to determine if it is okay to go ahead and neuter Simba. If they agree it is okay, that will take place tomorrow. The doctor is still not overly optimistic yet and says he's not out of the woods yet. Please keep the thoughts and prayers coming!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 03:45 AM

I'm sorry it took me so long to get on and update.

I picked Simba up tonight. The vet said that the swelling went down enough that he was able to get that stitch out! Yay! Once he got the stitch out the swelling went down a little more. He also started eating and drinking again and he is not crying when he goes potty! The vet thinks the stitch is why he stopped eating and drinking.
I was allowed to bring him home to spend the night with him again tonight. I have to watch him really closely to make sure his penis doesn't prolapse again when he goes poop.
I have to have him back at the vets first thing in the morning. The vet is going to take the ecollar off of him to give him a little break and to see how he acts with it off. If he tries to mess with his penis again he will immediately go back in the ecollar. This ecollar he has had on has no padding to protect the neck so it's really bothering him. We are hoping that the new one will arrive soon so we can put him in a more comfortable one.

I asked the vet again what he thinks the outcome will be for Simba and if he will pull through this. Again he told me that it's still too early to tell we just have to take this day by day and watch him very closely.
He is also still trying to determine when the best time would be to do the neuter. He could possibly do it tomorrow. He is going to be talking to a few other vets that are very glider experienced and hopefully they will come up with the best care plan for Simba. I am very thankful that I have these vets that care enough to work together to help Simba. I wish all vets were like them!

I'm still trying to get these pictures to load. If I can't get them loaded then I will have someone else post them for me. Simba is starting to look a little better overall. When he had that stitch put in and started going downhill he looked so bad. His coat went dull and looked lifeless, his eyes lost their sparkle and shine, and his ears drooped. Since the stitch has been removed his coat already has started looking better and he is starting to get a little of the sparkle back in his eyes. His ears aren't totally perky yet but they look better than they did. He's definitely not how he looked before all of this but he looks a little better than he did! That gives me hope that I will have my little man back!
He is still depressed from being away from Nala. Ive been giving him fleece blankets that smell like her but he's still so upset. If ya'll have any suggestions on how I can help him with missing her please let me know!

Thanks again for everyone's support and help through all of this. I don't know what I would have done without ya'll!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 03:48 AM

LOL. I was typing my post as you just posted yours Aimee! Thanks though! I had just gotten a few minutes to finally sit down and get on here. I may need you to post these pictures for me if I can't get them to work.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 03:59 AM

LOL! Email me the pics.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 04:15 AM

I sent them to your phone through text. Did you get them? It wont let me email them either. My phone is having issues. frown

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 05:15 AM

when his collar is off can you add some moleskin(not molefoam) to the neck of the collar before the vet puts it back on?
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 06:38 AM

Thank you for the update Brandi. Still sending lots of prayers to both you and Simba. hug2 Keeping Nala who misses her buddy in our thoughts too.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 11:55 AM

Hey everyone. Simba made it through another night! He did pretty good last night. He ate better for me. He ate some fruit and veggies and drank his glidershake. He also had a couple mealies! That's the most he's eaten for me since this started!
He also had a little more energy. He walked/hopped around a little and even played with a feather for a couple minutes. It wasn't for long but at least did it. Before the stitch was out he didn't move around much at all.

I'm about to take him back to the vet to drop him off. I'll give another update whenever I hear from the vet.

I can't add anything to the ecollar he has on. This is a homeade one they did at the first vets. I'm hoping I'll get the new one in the mail today so I can get the better one on him.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 12:09 PM

Just uploading pics now...will post in a minute!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 12:12 PM

Here are the newest pics of Simba.

He's got a sparkle in his eyes!

Post-Stitch:

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 12:35 PM

That first picture looks like he's saying..."I love my mommy and I am going to get better so that we can cuddle without this silly collar"

more good thoughts and prayers coming you're way!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 01:48 PM

He really has a sparkle in his eyes in the first pic. You can do it Simba, you are a strong little boy. hug2
Posted By: sugmama77

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 03:22 PM

New here but want to send you and Simba my thoughts and prayers...Come on Simba you can beat this, that sparkle in your eyes says you can!!! (((Big Hugs)))
Posted By: PammyP

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 03:45 PM

Oh, Brandi! He's starting to look so much better again. Yeah! And I'll keep sending glider get well thoughts your way. Poor baby. frown
Posted By: Amyy

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 04:09 PM

He does look a lot better! He's so strong. smile

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 04:16 PM

Ahh.. what a precious little boy!

Brandi I am so glad things are beginning to show improvement. Every little thing that improves gives him that much more strength to fight!

hug2
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 05:47 PM

Aimee, can you relay to Brandi to check her PM's please? I have 2 important messages for her & notice she hasn't read them yet...message #1 basically says "hang on, help is on the way by 3pm today!"....message #2 is a "helpful hint from Heloise" about said expected package in message #1.

Confused? GOOD!!!! roflmao I'm known to do that kinda stuff, aren't I? exclamation

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: minkasmom
Aimee, can you relay to Brandi to check her PM's please? I have 2 important messages for her & notice she hasn't read them yet...message #1 basically says "hang on, help is on the way by 3pm today!"....message #2 is a "helpful hint from Heloise" about said expected package in message #1.

Confused? GOOD!!!! roflmao I'm known to do that kinda stuff, aren't I? exclamation

Just relayed the message, Denise... thumb

And now..Brandi has asked me to again update what's been going on. She took Simba in this morning and as they were driving there, he became very uncomfortable as he was trying to go to the bathroom but he finally did go, only a very small amount.

Later, the vet called and he said that his poop is actually a bit watery now and that he's hoping how Simba acted earlier this morning is because there are some open wounds where the stitches were and it quite possibly burns. He said other than that, Simba is acting okay thumb and that they were going to go ahead and neuter him today.

Fast forward to just a bit ago when I got another message from Brandi. Poor Simba is now only half a man! cry Yes, he's lost the monster pom! roflmao The vet said he examined his cloaca very well and that there is still some swelling where the stitches were and it looks irritated. There were some scabs forming so he got them off, cleaned everything out and put some topical antibiotics on the sores. They are now watching him closely and Brandi will again pick him up at 5 pm. The doc is hopeful, now that the stitches are out and he's cleaned up and has antibiotics on the area, that he'll begin to get better now. His opinion is that the cause of all of this is the stitches. frown

So...the thoughts, well wishes and prayers are working everyone! Keep 'em coming...he's not A-Okay yet but he's sure doing better than he was! Go Simba!
Posted By: Faerie

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 07:09 PM

Prayers for you and Simba! How horrible that you guys had to go through this!!
Posted By: jb7741

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 07:45 PM

YAY!!

Go Simba!!! You can do it!!!
Posted By: vagraphix

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 08:15 PM

Glad Simba is doing better. Sending healing thoughts & hugs hug2

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 08:24 PM

Thank you for the good news, still sending prayers for a quick recovery.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 09:35 PM

Well guys...we have a happy man and Denise, you are one in a million, lady! The e-jacket made it to Brandi just in time for her to leave for the vet to pick Simba up for the night. This is where the next wonderful lady comes in. Cora - thank you! I contacted Cora and even though she was at work, she took the time to text me pictures of Spencer in HIS e-jacket so Brandi and her vet would have something to follow when putting it on. It worked perfectly and fit perfectly! Not only that, but Brandi's vet has been looking for something besides the standard e-collar so Denise...watch out, woman...this vet is LOVING you right now! smile We have yet another angel, as well, as Brandi's vet care was again paid for. It's a great day for Simba. After they put the e-jacket on, the first thing he did was race down Brandi's shirt and start chirping. Is this something to smile about, or what??? And without further adieu...allow me to present to you Mr. "no more monster pom" Simba!!!!!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 09:37 PM

jump jump jump jump
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 09:39 PM

hurray!

and thanks to all those that were faithful with their prayers! I am so happy to see him looking so much better!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 09:51 PM

Almost makes me believe, JM. smile Thank you everyone!
Posted By: sugmama77

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 10:05 PM

Thats so Awesome...the power of prayer is strong and we see proof of that everyday!!! Simba still sending u prayers little buddy!!!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 10:23 PM

Denise, you rock!!!! glad to help Aimie, Spencer wasnt too thrilled bout being woke up but he was a good sport..LOL Simba kinda looks like Spencer!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 11:11 PM

Thank you, Aimee, for furnishing that picture....it makes me so happy I could spring a leak or 2 in a GOOD way! cry I spent my whole day fussing and saying little prayers under my breath that nothing happened to that package and it'd make its way in time.... dance jump MORE prayers answered!!!! And thank you, Cora, for helping Brandi out...you too are an angel on earth! I've told you that before, and I'll say it again! hug2

But I do know that I have to furnish pictures with the "instruction sheet"....silly me, not even THINKING about that! shakehead (Note to self that the next one needs to include such...words are great, but a picture is worth a THOUSAND words) If that's ALL the tweaking that needs to be done......HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!!

I'm just SOOOOOOOO happy that Simba is accepting his new "designer jacket" so willingly! grin

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/21/11 11:23 PM

Aww.. I am in tears! Beautiful!

Y'all are awesome!
Posted By: angelic4296

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/22/11 12:13 AM

Awwwwwww, look at Simba's little bummy sticking out of that e-jacket! Denise and Cora, you're both wonderful! smile He looks absolutely precious and he looks soooooooo much happier now that he has more freedom to navigate. I'm continuing to pray hard for you Brandi, Simba, and Nala that everyone gets back into a happy health routine soon! smile

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/22/11 01:22 AM

I've been following this since it was first posted but I never commented because I'm fairly new and not all too knowledgeable on everything gliders, but that's why I wanted to post now seeing how much better he's doing!
But, reading through this, I've learned so much about gliders and this community!
First off, even something as small as a glider "over flossing" can turn into something life threatening. Don't ever ignore your gliders. Keep an eye on them and always make sure nothing is out of the ordinary with them. If something is don't hesitate too long getting them to the vet and if it continues to not improve, or gets worse, get him to the vet A.S.A.P.
The second thing is to try your hardest to find a GOOD and KNOWLEDGEABLE vet, whether it's through word-of-mouth or just a previous check-up. If you don't like the vet during a check-up, you're really not going to like them during an emergency.
Finally, the support you get from this forum, especially during times of crisis, is phenomenal! From just owning my pair of gliders this long I've learned so much more that I wouldn't have learned otherwise and I'm so much more prepared to deal with them than I would be without you guys, not to mention, that if I ever have any questions or problems I'm sure I can count on you for the best advise possible!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/22/11 02:38 AM

Update on Mr. Monster Pom: he's feeling a little down tonight. He's been a bit lethargic this evening and just a little while ago, out came his penis again. frown With the couple of topicals, it went back in. But, get this - and yes, I'm sure it's a coincidence, but Brandi gave Simba his dinner to eat. He waited and wouldn't hold it in his own hands. Then, out comes the penis. Brandi picks up the food to hand feed, and in it goes....LOLOLOL. It's the "Feed Me Penis". roflmao Okay, so maybe not...this little man isn't out of the woods just yet, but Brandi's taking good care of him tonight, he's happily in the e-jacket (you're welcome, Denise!!!) and she'll continue to monitor him until morning when he goes back into the vet.

Cora...I'm sure Spence wasn't any too happy, but just whisper to him that his buddy needed the help and that now, he's got a jacket twin!!!! smile Thank you again, both of you, for everything!
Posted By: Bozeman

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/22/11 11:45 AM

Best news ever!
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/22/11 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: DCMuffin
Update on Mr. Monster Pom: he's feeling a little down tonight. He's been a bit lethargic this evening and just a little while ago, out came his penis again. frown With the couple of topicals, it went back in. But, get this - and yes, I'm sure it's a coincidence, but Brandi gave Simba his dinner to eat. He waited and wouldn't hold it in his own hands. Then, out comes the penis. Brandi picks up the food to hand feed, and in it goes....LOLOLOL. It's the "Feed Me Penis". roflmao

LOL! Brandi sent me a text and I could tell she was panicked over his penis prolapsing again. We texted back and forth for a bit, including a pic of his penis and I gave some suggestions.

Then she sent me a text telling me it went back in the very second she hand fed him! Now tell me, folks, does Brandi qualify for Glider Slave of the Year, or what? LOL!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/22/11 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: suggiemom1980

LOL! Brandi sent me a text and I could tell she was panicked over his penis prolapsing again. We texted back and forth for a bit, including a pic of his penis and I gave some suggestions.

Then she sent me a text telling me it went back in the very second she hand fed him! Now tell me, folks, does Brandi qualify for Glider Slave of the Year, or what? LOL!

Simba is playing the glider slave of year! roflmao roflmao roflmao

Brandi, you've got my vote!
Posted By: Feather

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/22/11 04:53 PM

I think little Simba is starting to enjoy all the "personal" attention. He seems to be finding ways to get his slave to sit there and hand feed him.

Glad to hear he is doing better.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/22/11 05:20 PM

Oh man! Between the "Feed Me Penis" and trying to get the syringe from the vet~~ Brandi~ you sound absolutely like an awesome glider mommy!!

You've gotta have the most spoiled babies ever smile
I LOVE it!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/22/11 09:08 PM

Short update as I don't know a whole lot yet...

Last night, Simba's penis prolapsed again. frown He was very lethargic and wasn't wanting to eat much at all. He's back at the vet today and we're waiting to hear at this point.

Will keep y'all posted when I hear more!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/22/11 09:41 PM

frown

Prayers being sent

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/22/11 09:56 PM

Oh No....We will all just have to pray even harder...Hang tough little Simba...you can do it!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/22/11 10:15 PM

Just got off the phone with Brandi. Poor Simba had to endure yet another surgery today. The vet had to put in another stitch (NOT the same kind as the old vet did!). It was necessary and the only option for the moment. Apparently, there is a piece of the anatomy (I'm sorry, even though Brandi said it, I can't spell it so I won't even try) that holds the penis inside. The supposition (by the NEW vet) is that the stitching that the OLD vet did, destroyed that piece so he's no longer able to keep his penis inside on his own, which is why it continues to prolapse. New vet will be speaking with Dr. Fronefield to determine whether or not Simba can be "reconstructed". If not, they will have no choice but to amputate his penis because it will become necrotic.

Simba has eaten a small amount but continues to have diarrhea, likely from a combination of the meds and stress. Brandi is on her way now to pick him up and she'll bring him back yet again tomorrow morning.

I wish I had better news to report. I'll continue to update as I hear from Brandi.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/22/11 11:20 PM

Sending more prayers for little Simba!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/23/11 12:19 AM

Oh no! I hope he can be put back together properly! Poor Simba! This all should have never happened, had it not been for the OLD vet who wouldn't listen to Brandi. frown

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/23/11 01:23 AM

Nothing ticks me off like a vet that refuses to listen.. and then does a hack job on your baby.. ugh..

Brandi I'm praying for y'all! Simba sounds like a wonderful little fighter hug2
Posted By: tournesoul

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/23/11 02:08 AM

hug2 theres not a whole lot I can add to what everyone else is saying and praying... so I will just add my own prayers and best wishes and send them your way. I am SO sorry you all had to go through this frown
I wont even go there with what should be done to this monster vet!!! UGH!! tant

hug2 2 you all!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/23/11 09:36 AM

Brandi, keeping you all in our prayers. hug2

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/23/11 10:38 AM

Much love and prayers to Simba and Brandi. frown

I read the whole thing, and gosh does it hurt to hear that people think that the "vet" tag on their name badge qualifies them to do whatever the heck they want to our babies. One of my close friends actually has a legal suit against one of the vets she went to. She had just gotten a cremeino male for breeding and brought him to the vet for a check-up, and the vet actually neutered him without asking permission from her...guess the outcome of that situation...

Again, my prayers are out to you guys. Please do whatever it takes to force legal action against the vet who obviously did not care for your little Simba.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/23/11 02:32 PM

Simba Update...

Well, I just dropped Simba off at the vets again. Yesterday the vet put him to sleep and when he examined him he saw that the frenulum was gone. That is the piece that keeps the penis from hanging out all the time. He had to put the penis back inside and do another stitch. He made sure that he was not totally closed and that he could go potty. But he did tell me that if he starts to swell more and is unable to go then I am to cut the stitch out immediately. He said that in order to have any chance of saving his penis that he will need to have the stitch in so his penis doesn't stay out and become necrotic. He is currently consulting with Dr.Fronfield about what to do next. He will need either some type of reconstructive surgery to repair where the frenulum is gone or he will need an amputation.

Last night went ok. Simba did eat a little more. He cuddled with me for hours and watched tv with me. This morning he did have a little blood on his cloacal area. He was being a little more active. When I dropped him off with the vet he told me that if he prolapses again he will not be doing another stitch. He said that Simba has already been through so much and that doing another stitch would cause more trauma and damage. He doesn't want to do that to him. He is already worried about the possibility of scar tissue from the previous stitches. So hopefully his penis will stay in until they can figure out what to do. If it doesn't then he will need the amputation.

Keep sending your prayers. He really needs them! We still don't know what the outcome of all this will be. Simba is a strong little boy and has already made it through a lot. 4 surgeries in under a week would probably have been too much for most gliders. But he keeps pulling through! I love my little man SO much!

I just hope that what he has gone through never happens to another glider!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/23/11 03:20 PM

I just thought I would share a few pictures. The first one I took last night. The second is of when Simba was just a few days oop. Then the last is of him and his wife. They miss each other so much right now. frown

My poor little sick man sleeping

Simba when he was just 5 days oop

Simba with his wife Nala (Simba is laying on Nala)

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/23/11 03:42 PM

*sigh* - sweet boy. hug2

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/23/11 04:06 PM

Awe Brandi, thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures, and thank you for taking the time to give us updates. Just know that Simba is in our prayers every single second of every single day. hug2

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/24/11 12:30 AM

He is such a pretty boy! Thank you for sharing those pictures!

Keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/24/11 12:41 AM

Brandi, I had forgotten how tiny he was. I remember when you got him and how and that you had to hand raise him. That seems like so long ago! He is strong because he has you for a mommy!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/24/11 11:29 AM

Do we have any news? You are SO all in my prayers!!! hug2

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 03:11 AM

Still thinking of Brandi and Simba. Waiting for good news!
hug2
Posted By: Gemini67

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 04:34 AM

Brandi, after reading this thread, I am in tears. You and poor little Simba...You are both in my thoughts and I hope things are progressing in a positive direction....
Posted By: dizzyblue

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 04:42 AM

I am thinking about you guys daily. I'm hoping so hard that he pulls through!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 06:05 AM

Sorry I haven't been able to update everyone this weekend. It's been a little hectic with my daughter's bday and Easter and caring for Simba.

Saturday night Simba started bleeding again. I cleaned him up and put some topical medicine on him. That seemed to help. He is still having some pain when he poops. The vet called me today to check on him. He said that the reason he is having pain when he poops is because the other vet put the stitches in through his cloaca and rectum and it is very sore now because of that. frown
He said that he is thinking that Simba is going to probably end up having to have his penis amputated. He may take the stitch out tomorrow. He doesn't really want it in there long since he is so traumatized from what the other vet did. He is worried about it causing more damage and irritating him further. He said that once he takes it out he will most likely prolapse again within 48 hours.
He left a message with Dr.Fronefield Friday but he had already left the office for the weekend. He also sent him an email. Hopefully Monday Dr.Fronefield will call him back so they can discuss what to do to help Simba.

I'm supposed to drop Simba off first thing in the morning. He will keep me updated on how he's doing and if he has to take that stitch out.

I did give Simba some supervised visitation with his wife and daughter. I was getting very concerned about them getting depressed from being separated from him. Nala is usually a hyper glider, like a 3 year old on sugar, but since she has been away from her husband she barely comes out of her sleeping pouch and hasn't been eating very well. Their daughter Izzy has been upset too. So after speaking with Mary we decided it would be best to give them some supervised visitation. I watched very closely to make sure they didn't mess with his rear end.
I think it really helped! As soon as they saw each other they were all chirping and purring! Nala was rubbing her body all over Simba trying to get his smell on her and Izzy was grooming her dad's face and ears. Nala kept giving Simba kisses too. It was so sweet to see them happy again! Nala was acting hyper like she normally does! It made me feel good to see her acting like herself!
Afterwards I went to give Simba a glidershake I made him and he ate pretty well! So it seems to have helped him seeing his girls!
Here are a couple pictures I took during their visitation:

Simba & Nala kissing while their daughter Izzy cuddles with her daddy.

Izzy put Simba's head on her lap so she could snuggle with her daddy.
Posted By: Faerie

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 06:52 AM

So glad they got to have a supervised visit. Still praying for Simba.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 07:25 AM

That last picture made me cry. I think that is one of the most beautiful pictures I have seen.

We are all praying for Simba.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 08:06 AM

Izzy is such a daddy's girl! She's always following him around like a little lost puppy. He has been a very good dad to her too. He is always looking out for her and taking care of her, even though she's big enough to not need it anymore. He even shares his food with her like she's still a little joey. She has been lost without her daddy.

Keep the thoughts and prayers coming! He needs all that he can get! I really appreciate all of the support everyone has given us. I don't think I could do this without ya'll! This has been so stressful and scary. I just wish it were all over with and Simba was all better.

If anyone has experience with penis amputations please let me know what to expect just in case he does end up needing one. I would like to be prepared so I can give him the best care possible. I would also like to know what to expect afterwards. Will he have any issues once he has recovered? It would most likely be a full amputation (up to the urethra) so poor little man would have nothing left. frown

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 08:20 AM

Originally Posted By: NavyChiefWife

Love this picture! It truly shows how they needed together time. hug2

Still praying for Simba (and you Brandi) ever day!

You might want to talk to Connie about penis amputations, she's been there, done that. thumb

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 12:18 PM

heart hug2 those pics made me cry... good tears, I think they were. Good and sad all mixed together. Its so amazing to see that kind of love! These babies (suggies) appealed to me so much for many reasons but very much so due to their human like qualities. Their incredible ways of being... - I am so new to all this having had my boys for what, I think, three weeks now? - but this is so much more! The love these gliders share goes beyond anything I have ever seen. (Except maybe the love I have for my daughter smile , and my animals... but you know what I mean)
Thanks for sharing those pics and updating us. I have been thinking about you all weekend! I hope he isnt in too much pain throughout this. hug2 heart

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 02:30 PM

I dropped Simba off with the vet this morning. Hopefully the vets will be able to figure out what to do for Simba. He did ok last night. He hasn't peed yet this morning. I'm hoping he will do it for the vet. I'll give an update as soon as I hear something!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 04:08 PM

Love the pictures, thank you for showing them. You can tell they're a very sweet family and really care about each other.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 05:34 PM

I got a call from the vet. He spoke to Dr.Fronefield and they have decided that it's best to go ahead and take the stitch out. They said that there is nothing more they can do to save his penis. They have done everything they could and there is no way to reconstruct the frenulum that has been destroyed. Dr.Pat said that if he prolapses again that they will amputate. He is pretty sure he will end up prolapsing again since he no longer has the frenulum to hold it inside. He said it's just a matter of when it will happen. It's a wait and see now. Keeping the stitch in will only cause more trauma now. They still don't know what kind of permanent damage has been done, like if any nerves were cut etc. We just have to take it one day at a time.
He did say that a lot of the swelling had gone down when he examined it when he had him asleep today. I have to keep giving him the antibiotics and also give him the pain medicines to try to keep him comfortable.

He told me if I don't hear from him by 5pm then to come pick him up and he can spend the night with me again. If he prolapses before then or something happens he will call me immediately.

Keep Simba in your thoughts and prayers.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 06:17 PM

Keeping all of you in our prayers, that poor poor baby. frown

Thank you for the update Brandi. hug2
Posted By: vagraphix

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 06:39 PM

Brandi have you gotten any responses on what happens, etc if they do amputate? That would be great info to go along with Simba's poor saga. I have learned alot about prolapse that I didn't know before just from what happened to him.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 09:42 PM

Oh... such sad news! I was really hoping it was all going to be ok! or as ok as it could be... But, at one point, I wasnt even sure he was going to pull through so I guess its still good!

Its really a good thing I dont live in FL anymore b/c I dont know that I could contain myself with that other vet! I hope you get her license and all shes (not) worth!

Ok, back to being civil. smile Sending loads of heart love heart and hugs though I know we dont even know each other this whole thing has just cut me up!! My daughter now just comes out and asks, "Oh are you reading about Simba again?" because of course I am crying.

I am so happy that he is still with us and that you have each other!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 09:48 PM

Brandi is on her way to get Mr. Monster Pom as we speak. She's been so lucky to be able to cuddle and love on him in the evenings. I told her that she should just think about it as "I'm taking Simba to daycare now" when he goes to the vet. LOL He's been all curled up and happy in a bonding pouch on Brandi, which has made it easier because he had apparently chewed up his other pouches at the beginning when he was in such pain. Poor sweetie.

Originally Posted By: tournesoul

I am so happy that he is still with us and that you have each other!

Brandi and I are friends. My Bug and Teeka came from her, as well, so I have been lucky enough to meet and get to know her over the last year. The relationship she has with her gliders is wonderful and they are SO lucky to have such a great mommy. I've seen firsthand the relationship she has with them and it's quite a sight. The last few months have been a struggle for Brandi, to say the least, and this is the last thing she needed in her already hectic life. But, she's handling it like a champ, as is Simba, and they WILL get through it.

As Brandi's friend, I'd like to say thank you - to all of you that are thinking of her and Simba and sending all the wonderful thoughts their way. Not a word or thought goes unnoticed. smile

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 10:41 PM

oh my! Hope they are good pain meds Pm me his med list if ya get a chance OK? I am still hoping and praying!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 10:42 PM

Brandi, I am also a good support system as I have had a mutilator for years!
Posted By: Gemini67

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 10:44 PM

Aimee - "Mr Monster Pom"- ha ha! roflmao

Brandi, although I don't know you, I hope some day we get to meet. You are obviously a strong, loving woman who Simba, and the rest of the family, are very lucky to have as a Mom! I appreciate your courage in sharing your struggle with all of us so that we may learn. You must be so exhausted! Loving and healing thoughts continue to you and Simba!

PS- The "family reunion" pics you posted are absolutely beautiful!
Posted By: Bourbon

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 10:47 PM

we are all using the word prolapse as a pretty general term, each body part when it prolapses actually have their own symptoms..

example:

prolapsed penis, just means the penis is hanging out..
in this case it is actually the penis shaft which is prolapsed due to the loss of the frenulum.

if you go back to the first couple of pics that were posted.. the penis itself was "prolapsed, but the frenulum was still attached. it wasn't until later that we noticed what looked similar to foreskin.. that is when it was determined by the vet that the frenulum was not attached.. so now we have a prolapse of the penis shaft (inner sheath, that is supposed to be inside of the cloaca..)

a prolapse of the cloaca is where the inside is on the outside which is commonly seen, and it isn't usually a big issue since when they relieve themselves it is often sticking out a bit..

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/25/11 11:24 PM

I'm telling you what, Brandi.....

That pic of Simba and Izzy snuggled together brought TEARS to my eyes....and they're TEARS OF JOY might I add! I've seen some definitions of true love, but that one took the whole cake AND the plate it was sitting on!!! mlove

Sounds to me like: a) a certain vet needs to be black-listed by EVERY ANIMAL OWNER in Florida....and b) somebody needs to oil up Ol' Faithful (my loving name for my sewing machine heart ) and do a little more stitchin' magic. grin Simba is a bit of a distance from being out of the woods....which breaks my heart....but....I can help a little, and I'll be glad to do that! thumb

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/26/11 01:24 AM

Thanks so much for sharing the picture of Simba and Nala and Izzy...That is truly a picture of what "love" is. Still praying really hard for your little boy!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/26/11 03:22 AM

I am so highly impressed with you and your gliders! Those pictures~ heartwarming.

I continue to pray and think about y'all.
hug2

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/26/11 03:51 AM

Mary knows a little about amputation as well. She took care of Spencer after his amputation and gliders before that.
Posted By: Bourbon

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/26/11 04:07 AM

she is in contact with Mary

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/26/11 06:44 AM

I just want to thank everyone again for helping us out so much. The ones that have helped out with some of Simba's vet bills will always hold a special place in my heart. You don't realize how much every penny has helped. I have been worried sick about how I will find a way to pay for all of this. Especially if he ends up with the amputation. Ya'll have helped ease some of that burden. I really appreciate it!
I also appreciate all of the support and kind words everyone has given throughout this. It has meant so much to me. I really don't know how I would do this without ya'll! I have been so stressed out and I am so exhausted from only getting about 2 hours of sleep a night since this started. Just being able to talk to the glider community has helped me a lot.

I have Simba home for now. I have to call the vet in the morning to give him an update on how he did overnight. I have to keep giving him the Batryl and Metacam and try to get him to eat well. He still isn't eating like he normally does. He's eating slightly better now but not well enough.
The vet told me no more visitations with his family. frown
He said if he hasn't prolapsed after a week then we will talk about it. But he is still pretty sure he's going to prolapse again. Last time he did it within 48 hours of removing the stitch. All it could take is for him to strain to poop or get an erection. That's why he wants Simba to stay away from his wife. He said if he continues to prolapse he can die. That was the first time I had heard my vet say the "D" word to me so I am taking it very seriously. As heartbreaking as it is there will be no more visitation until Simba is better. I am concerned about Nala and Izzy getting depressed and not wanting to eat as well. But I have to listen to what Dr.Pat and Dr.Fronefield advise. I just want Simba to get through all of this and everything be back to normal, or as close to normal as it can be.

I will give another update soon. I'm going to try to get a little sleep. I just put Simba in his incubator. I need to try to sleep while I can. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/26/11 08:50 AM

Rest up Brandi, you are doing great. hug2

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/27/11 04:33 AM

Well I ended up taking Simba back to the vets today. He needed sub-q's and b12. He is getting a little dehydrated from not eating and drinking well. Last night he barely ate anything. He is just picking at his food now. He even turns his head away at his favorite foods. frown
The vet said I will probably need to take him back in tomorrow so he can check him out and possibly give him more sub-q's and b12.

I just wish my baby would get better. I think he is starting to get very stressed from everything that he has been through and from having to be away from his family.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/27/11 04:43 AM

Oh, Brandi! I know you're so worried! I'm sending lots of prayers for you little guy!

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/27/11 04:53 AM

I know this may sound harsh, but maybe it would be best to go ahead and amputate his penis and get him back in with his family as soon as possible.

With all he has gone through already it may be best to do the surgery and let him heal up. As much damage as has been done to his penis and the surrounding tissue it seems as it is only a matter of time before he does prolapse again.

With the thought of another prolapse being a life threatening event I would rather do the amputation and get him back with his family if he were my glider.

He is still in my prayers.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/27/11 05:07 AM

I agree Kimberly. More prayers for Simba

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/27/11 05:33 AM

I'm afraid I have to agree. He's so stressed and depressed not being with his family, it's affecting his health.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/27/11 07:21 AM

Brandi, Simba, you are still in our prayers. hug2 hug2
Posted By: Bozeman

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/27/11 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Feather
I know this may sound harsh, but maybe it would be best to go ahead and amputate his penis and get him back in with his family as soon as possible.

I agree, he need to be returned to his family asap.

Re: Penis Problem Please Help! - Part Two - 04/27/11 11:40 AM

See Part Three
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL