GliderCENTRAL

Step by step neutering instructions

Posted By: Anonymous

Step by step neutering instructions - 05/25/07 05:41 PM

Can someone tell me the process or link me to something showing or telling me the neutering process? I want to make sure my vet neuters Honeymuffin the right way, leaving the pom, ect. No, I am NOT attempting this myself! The first vet I called left me on hold forever, then came back and said yes they can do it, but it is very complicated and they would charge $135 to have it done! confused It's to my understanding that is is relatively simple. Am I wrong, or are they full of it? My second vet, the one I used last time, will do it for around 35/40$. But I want to take info and make sure it's done the least invasive way possible.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/25/07 05:47 PM

Most of the vets around here charge betweeen $100 and $250 to neuter a glider - so $135 isn't unreasonabble. I think maybe because they're so small and everyone seems to charge more to handle exotics.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/25/07 05:50 PM

Oh, ok. Thanks smile

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/25/07 05:56 PM

off_topic So you decided on the name Honeymuffin!! I love it! I think that I am still thinking about my new suggies name and still think it may be Butterbiscuit!

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/25/07 06:00 PM

Lol, that's so awesome! My son thought that was "so cool" that someone else liked his name that much!

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/25/07 06:12 PM

Because they are so small and the surgery is more complicated then other animals they charge more. I would say that $135 is cheap! I've heard of any where from $77 - $400. Yes, some vets charge $400 to neuter. My vet charges $150 and I think that is pretty reasonable.

off_topic Love the name!!

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/25/07 06:22 PM

I got Marcus neutered for around $150 plus meds... granted, he did VERY well and the sutures stayed closed and I was lucky to have no complications (other than wanted to stay on me ALL the time... kind of a perk, if you ask me...) but yeah: there're lots of risks when anesthetizing a small animal is involved... So i could understand the fees. $135 isn't too bad...

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/25/07 07:43 PM

my vet here charges $ 101.00 and that includes the pain meds so 135 sounds about right

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/25/07 07:52 PM

Maybe some one can reccommend a good vet in your area. Someone who has had a neuter done there succesfully and KNOWS that they did not get taken. Or maybe you can check the VET links at the top of the page..

click LINKS and then VET DATABASE
Posted By: snowmanda

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/26/07 03:02 AM

Neutering prices vary greatly. I had Soven neutered Monday for $52. My regular vet charges $150+. There is a sticky posted about neutering at the top of theis forum. Here's a link to it. Scroll down for the neutering section.
http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/69790/page/1#Post69790

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/26/07 03:12 AM

LOL! I thought you wanted to try for yourself!
Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/26/07 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Kilala
LOL! I thought you wanted to try for yourself!

I was hoping for instructions! NOT! roflmao But my first thought was why?
Posted By: gliderlover1

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/26/07 04:28 AM

Ok, I have a question. Can you stay and watch. Ok, don't freak out. But I will be worried the whole time. And in a past life I wanted to be a surgery nurse. That was a past life. I would diffidently feel more comfortable if I could stay there and make sure he was ok...
I'm just a worry wort. But he's my baby. My little luv bug. To be honest. It will be like me going to the dentist taking him. And I'd rather pull a tooth myself.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/26/07 06:03 AM

I know how ya feel! hug2
I doubt that they will let you watch, but some places are set up to where their families can watch them through a glass window. I watched a surgery on some one else's pet before. It never hurts to ask!

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/26/07 06:06 AM

I depends on your vet. Mine was happy to let me watch. She likes for you to be there for comfort when they wake up. Its not an easy task though. Most will get sick (vomit) during induction of anesthesia. They look right pitiful the whole time.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/26/07 03:30 PM

Steps for Glider Neutering:

Step 1: Put your fuzzbutt in the car with you

Step 2: Hand fuzzbutt to your favorite vet or vet tech with a kiss on the head

Step 3: Wait patiently while saying prayers of kindness for the procedure to be easy on the little guy

Step 4: Pick up your pitiful furry friend and give him lots and lots of TLC

wink
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/26/07 04:44 PM

I printed this page off and took it to my vet:
http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/69790/page/1#Post69790

They were very grateful for the information, neutered Rocket with no complications, and charged $130.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/28/07 01:15 AM

I posted steps, but they were removed for fear someone would try it at home.

However, I didn't suggest a medicine dose, or suggest that anyone do this at home. The most key part is to anesthetize and immobilize the glider with the Fluothane gas, which will require a Veterinarian. I doubt most are up to this on their own.

The reason I posted the process is to help glider owners better understand what is involved. I have been alarmed at how many people go into this procedure without good informed consent from their Veterinarian, and wind up getting stitches, glue, pom removals, and many variations they did not want or expect. Better decisions are made with better information, and the more ignorant of the process owners remain, the less prepared they will be to be good advocates for the good of their glider. That is why I posted. I certainly do not want people to make this a home project. Please get enough information before you proceed so that you know what is about to happen.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/28/07 05:56 PM

I printed and took the sheet above to my vet. She patiently explained her rationale for doing the surgery a different way.

Instead of torb,which lasts an hour or two, long-acting anti-inflammatory meds (such as metacam) can be injected while the glider is anesthetized. She does not send home pain meds as they are not necessary.

My vet always removes the pom and she has never had a case of sm even when she did many of these surgeries as a vet student at Texas A&M. If at least half of the stalk remains, it folds down into the body and creates a tightly closed wound that does not require stitches or glue.

She also injects lidocaine to numb the surgical wound.

Waking the glider up w/treats to chew as he is rousing is another must in her opinion as the glider will chew as it is coming out of the anesthesia.

I emailed her and asked about vomiting. She has not had this experience w/gliders that have had at least 4-6 hours since their last meal. She prefers to neuter gliders at about 11 a.m. or 12 noon.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/28/07 06:38 PM

Quote:
Instead of torb,which lasts an hour or two, long-acting anti-inflammatory meds (such as metacam) can be injected while the glider is anesthetized.

I avoid metacam with my gliders. Metacam, especially given for more that a couple of days can and has caused organ failure in gliders.

Metacam is an anti-inflammatory and does have it purposes but the risk to organs is not worth the benefits of the drug.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/29/07 04:06 PM

LOL I was afraid of the reaction that people would think I was trying to do it myself. No way, I just want to make sure they do it the least invasive way possible, since he already has a tendancy to chew his tail (which he has not done since I got him! YAY) but thank you for not posting the EXACT way to do it for start to finish, there are cruel people out there. Making an appt for next week. Also, I don't have his age, but if I can see his little poms, he can be saftely neutered, right?

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/29/07 06:42 PM

And as bad as this sounds, remember that what they tell you might not always be what ends up happening. When I had a consult for getting Angus neutered, the vet said he would remove the testes from the pom and leave the pom. What did I find when I picked up poor little Angus? No pom. He had completely removed it. Luckily, we didn't have any SM issues, but I was ticked.
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/29/07 06:50 PM

Bandit is going in tomorrow for his neutering (and my autistic son is going on a three day camping trip with school, leaving tomorrow....think mom will get any sleep tonight??? lol) When we went in for his wellness check, I discussed what he would be doing. Normally he does remove the pom, but I told him I wanted him to keep that, so that is how he will do the surgery. The neuter is 135.00 and than another 45.00 for bloodwork. He will go home on Torb and I am pretty sure antibiotics (if not, I will tell him I want them.)

Ok, is there anything else I need to think or ask about????

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/30/07 02:41 PM

Metacam might be a problem if given in multiple doses, particularly if dosing was inaccurate or if the glider was unhealthy.

For neuters, an accurate dose is only given once. No pre-op meds are used.

It certainly has made a difference in avoiding post op sm.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/30/07 02:51 PM

All vets are different with different practices. The BEST thing to do is to discuss the procedure in detail with your vet before it is done. You will then be 100% sure of what to expect. This is also a good time to voice your concerns or difference in opinion to your vet. If they do the procedure a different way ask why. Going in to ANY procedure whether human or glider uniformed is just asking for trouble. Your time to advocate for your glider is before surgery. If you don't do it..who will? I can't stress enough the importance of having a ecollar BEFORE the neuter. You'd rather be safe than sorry. Don't expect your vet to have one that will fit a glider. And pain meds post surgery..no matter what it is. You will probabbly only need to administer a few doses over the next 24-36 hours. Its really not much at all.

Ok done with my rant

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/30/07 03:20 PM

i know exactly how you feel and about the worry. my first was my Peanut. but now after taking care of over 20 post op it really has gone well and i only had to give one dose pain meds. wasn't real sure he needed it but he did act different so i gave it to him.i can not stand for ANY living thing to be in pain.

has anybody suggested a vet near you? that is how i found my vet.

don't forget to pull the wheel out of the cage for about 3 days.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/30/07 04:05 PM

What's the big deal about leaving the pom? When dogs, cats, horses or any other animal is neutered the scrotum is removed too. All the males I've had neutered have all had the whole lot removed, the whole process from beginning to end including anaesthetic and waking up again takes less than half an hour. Surely fiddling about removing testes is prolonging a relatively short operation? (Just a thought)

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 03:12 PM

Removing the pom has been linked to a higher incidence of self-multilation in gliders.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 03:30 PM

I dunno about a vet, but the breeder I bought from did it for free when I bought my glider. No pom left, no meds given to glider, and the glider was fine, took him home and he jumped right out of the pouch and played in his cage. No SM observed and I've had him for 3 months now.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: jockeys
I dunno about a vet, but the breeder I bought from did it for free when I bought my glider. No pom left, no meds given to glider, and the glider was fine, took him home and he jumped right out of the pouch and played in his cage. No SM observed and I've had him for 3 months now.

That is awful!! I would not recommend this to anyone. You were very lucky.
I have some boys that have their poms and more that do not. I think one thing to keep in mind. If the pom is left on they will still have alot of male hormones. Its really a vet/personal choice. HTH

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 04:08 PM

Jockeys - would you trust the breeder to do the same surgery to you, performed the same way? No meds, etc?

I'm sorry - I just don't think that would be a responsible thing for a breeder to undertake.

When I bred rabbits, there were many things I did myself to cut costs - it *is* a business, and I did have to look at it that way. I had to make decisions weighing the cost all the time. It is a sad fact. However, medical procedures were NOT among the things I decided to cut costs on. (Strangely, I always fed my rabbits the top of the line food, too.)

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ValkyrieMome
Jockeys - would you trust the breeder to do the same surgery to you, performed the same way? No meds, etc?

Of course not. I am a human, and it would be illegal to perform any kind of surgery on me, in any manner, without years of specialized training and certification.

It's really apples and oranges to compare people with gliders. I mean, as nice as your glider's cage is, would you be willing to be confined to a cage, even if it was big and filled with toys?

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 04:30 PM

I've heard there is a breeder in Tenn. as well who does it. There are probably more than we know. This is sad. Shouldn't performing operations on an animal be illegal?

Does this breeder do it automatically with all males or does he charge extra?

Did you get your baby from Traders Village?

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 04:41 PM

In most states it is illegal to perform surgeries on animals without a license and this breeder should be turned in!

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 04:51 PM

I went to a ferrit show the other day. They said intact females will die if not bred and that when you buy them they are already neutered. I wonder what process they take.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 05:03 PM

I apologize, Jockeys. I usually refrain from making personal attacks. I was just flabbergasted and appalled.

Back in Texas, I grew up with the stories of farmers who would neuter their bull calves with their teeth. Those stories were always sort of fascinating in a sick and horrible way. That's what Luke's neutering brought to mind.

I just can't imagine ...

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: kobra

Does this breeder do it automatically with all males or does he charge extra?

Did you get your baby from Traders Village?

He does it on demand, at no charge. Since I was getting a boy girl pair that were siblings, I didn't want them breeding.

As far as where I got them, I would never buy ANYthing at trader's village, I'm not a big fan of being stabbed/mugged so I never go there. I got my gliders from this guy and then picked them up from him locally, at which time the neutering was conducted.

It maybe that he gave the glider some kind of analgesic while I wasn't around, all I noticed was some bactine or methiolate or something that he swabbed on afterwards.

I'm not a glider expert, in fact I'm pretty new on this scene, but the glider didn't seem to be too ticked off, and it certainly hasn't had any effect on his health, so I really don't see the big deal.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 06:20 PM

Jockeys, I think many people look at nuetering at home as a risky thing

Eeek, hit submit before I was done...

The glider may not be in pain now but he likely was at the time, plus gliders are notorious for hiding any ailments and pain...

Don't get me wrong, I respect your stand on this subject, I just thought I'd attempt to let you know other people's stance without feeding into any drama smile

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 06:24 PM

Actually, I looked at the page you referenced. Many things on that site go against what many here on GC believe. I am not really fond of the diet he recommends, for example.

I am not a glider expert. There are many different opinions, and putting our opinions together for discussion makes the glider community stronger. I just have read everything I can on many forums, and his methods for "hand taming" and his recommended diet ruffle me the wrong way.

If it works for you and your two, that's great.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 06:36 PM

Well I certainly don't think the breeder is infallible, and I don't do everything he recommends. I have tried his diet and taming methods, and I have tried BML and other taming methods and found them to work out better, so I switched. But I wouldn't necessarily say that his methods were harmful or anything, just sort of unorthodox.

For instance, the breeder was the one to recommend letting the gliders play in hamster balls, which they absolutely love. I definitely would not have thought about doing that on my own.

As far as the neutering goes, if I had to do it over again I might not do it that way, but it was the best thing I had going at the time, so I went for it. *shrugs* Live and learn.
Posted By: SpikenPea

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 06:40 PM

Whoa down folks lets get back to the original topic. I think if anyone wants to know what to expect and what to ask the vet about should contact Xfilefan. She will give you the low down and then some.
Posted By: uraqt33

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 07:14 PM

When it comes to bad breeders...I just want to beat them over the head! People who don't know any better go to these ignorant breeders and assume they know that they are talking about just because they are a "USDA licensed breeder."

Also, I agree that the diet "this guy" recomends is not balanced at all for a glider. For instance, he says to use cat chow for a dry staple diet and a calcium suplement made especially for reptiles. Is he crazy? OK, I'm getting off this post...I just needed to vent.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 07:26 PM

That "guy" that you bought from is a mill breeder. Think of all the horror stories you have ever seen/heard about puppy mills and apply them to gliders.

Chances are, had you bought at Trader's Village, you would have been buying either from one of his "agents" or someone that buys in mass quantities from him to begin with. Either from him or one of the other mill breeders in TX who all practice the same horrendous methods of houseing and care.

I'm very happy your little one suffered no bad effects of this cruel fashion of neutering but sadly, your little one is probably the exception to the rule. Self neutering like what he did is dispicable and in many states, illegal. It is considered "practicing veternarian medicine without a license". Self neutering is usually only done on "live stock" which is how he sees gliders. Most of us consider them much more than just "live stock".

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 07:35 PM

Teresa-
How do you know he is a mill breeder? Have you heard of him before?

Read this with a truely inquisitive, "I would like to know, I'm curious" tone of voice. NOT an "oh yeah! I'm gonna start something" tone of voice!
Posted By: pebbles1975

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 09:45 PM

Also the lady at Caesar Creek flea market offers to do them for like $50.00 and it takes like 30 min. or something like that.
Posted By: pebbles1975

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 05/31/07 09:46 PM

BTW....I would never put my boys through that just was saying I think there are more people that do it and think it is fine.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 06/01/07 01:47 PM

Dancing:
I cannot speak to that. I went over to this guy's house, not some business, and I can say that he showed me around and showed me the cages and such where the gliders were kept, and they were large, clean, and the gliders were healthy and happy looking. *shrugs* It may be that he breeds at other locations and they are less accomodating, but all the gliders I saw, and the 2 gliders I bought, were healthy and well cared for.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of horror stories are told about this fellow, but he was very straightforward in his dealings with me, and his gliders were well cared for.

AngieClements: I believe the entire procedure took under 5 minutes.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 06/01/07 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: uraqt33
a calcium suplement made especially for reptiles. Is he crazy?

Apparently about as crazy as Bourbon, because BML has RepCal in it. (also, Herptivite, a vitamin "especially for reptiles.") That's doubly crazy, huh?
Posted By: Usha77

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 06/01/07 02:05 PM

Yeah, I was gonna say something about that, too...guess a lot of us are crazy... dunno I use BML with the reptile vitamins...

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 06/05/07 03:24 AM

As far as where I got them, I would never buy ANYthing at trader's village, I'm not a big fan of being stabbed/mugged so I never go there.

I haven't been on in awhile. Um okay, I didn't know Traders Village was a dangerous place. We're talking about the one in Houston right. I have taken my kids with me there a few times. I'm not originally from Texas.????

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 06/05/07 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: kobra

As far as where I got them, I would never buy ANYthing at trader's village, I'm not a big fan of being stabbed/mugged so I never go there.

I haven't been on in awhile. Um okay, I didn't know Traders Village was a dangerous place. We're talking about the one in Houston right. I have taken my kids with me there a few times. I'm not originally from Texas.????

No, the one in DFW.
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 06/05/07 03:19 PM

Quote:
I mean, as nice as your glider's cage is, would you be willing to be confined to a cage, even if it was big and filled with toys?

Aren't we, though? It's a bigger cage, and we have the choice to open the door (if you can afford to go anywhere), but a house is a cage nonetheless-a confining box. An office or workplace can be, too-and therein is the majority of one's life.

As far as neutering

If it can feel pain, I think it's needless suffering to do it yourself. A glider will scream if severely hurt (I've had the misfortune to hear it-ONCE-and it's not something I ever want to hear again). Mostly, even more than cats and dogs, they hide pain and don't show it on the outside until it's unbearable (because in the wild a sick or injured glider is a dead one). A glider can have a foot crushed in a cage door, and not make a sound. Accidentally step on a dog or cat, and you will know about it-domestic and wild animals do differ in that regard. We know from the SM's that not only do they feel pain, but can, in essence, commit suicide because of it if there is no intervention. I know how to do them (neutering) -BOTH ways (medical and DIY). I had a broker here BEG us to tell her how for 2 years. I would not, because I don't believe it is ethical or in the best interest of the animal. I would cause a living thing to suffer at my present level of knowledge, were I to do it myself, and I don't feel it's my right to do so. I could just let them breed until they died(nature) if that were the case-why neuter at all? Nature didn't provide for it. So since the technology is there to alleviate unnecessary suffering during a procedure that is decidedly unnatural, or not within the bounds of nature, I think it's responsible as care takers of our animals to see they don't suffer unnecessarily when we keep them in our homes for our pleasure and benefit, and not from any necessity. A vet bill is a small thing to make the procedure as comfortable as possible-that goes for both people and animals.

Please don't take this in the wrong tone of voice (I'm not angry, or snide, or anything else). If spoken it would be in a quiet, even tone. And it is only MY opinion. Everyone is entitled to one, and anyone else is entitled to disagree with anyone else's if they wish to do so. Just thought I'd put mine out here, too.

Edit: I've also personally met the guy at his house to buy my first little girl-before I knew better. I agree with Teresa.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 06/12/07 07:15 PM

QUESTION?

Are we saying the Pom Poms should or should not be removed?

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 06/12/07 07:25 PM

I believe it depends on the vet.
As far as I know, in most animals, vets are leaning towards leaving the poms. I know that both my parent's dog, who is 8 now, as well as my brother's dog, 5 years, still have them (though, it's pretty much just a flap of skin). There's less to the surgery, generally quicker recovery, and less chance for complications.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 06/12/07 07:37 PM

One of the first things I ever read about neutering was on the ISGA website. Is this really a legit association (recognized)?

I noticed they have the at-home neutering instructions posted on their website. Has anyone voiced concern to them about posting this?

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 06/12/07 07:42 PM

ok, confused here someone was talking about SM? (I think thats what it was) It had to do with the pom being removed. I'm going to get Zander nuetered soon...

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 06/12/07 07:47 PM

SM, or self mutilation, has nothing to do with whether the poms are removed or not. SM is an animal's natural response to pain. They attack the spot that is hurting them, which in turn makes the area worse, and the cycle continues.

SM is a possiblility after a neuter, or any wound for that matter. With neutering, your best bet is taking preventative measures by working out a pain management regimen with your vet. This is also why it is important to take your glider to a vet if they injure themselves, as there is the potential for SM.

Re: Step by step neutering instructions - 06/12/07 08:10 PM

Ohh I never realized SM stood for Self Mutilation. Now it makes sense! hehe dumb moment there!
© 2021 GliderCENTRAL