GliderCENTRAL

what is killing my gliders????

Posted By: Anonymous

what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 09:59 PM

a little over a month ago my gagey passed away, the vet had no clue what made him sick or why he died, he was examined countless times, before he died he rapidly went blined and his neck was stuck in this upwards position, he wouldent stop jumping everywhere, but couldent control his movements, he would often tumble over on his back, he passed away quickely after this happened, it was painful but i thought the nightmare was over, but last night my little pandi came down with the exact symptoms, by the time i got her to the vet she was allready blind, the vet had no clue as to what was wrong with her and just put her on pain meds, a few hours later she passed away as well, now just a second ago Deigo has come down with the same symptoms! i gave him some of the left over pain meds that pandi had but im stumped as to what is killing my babies! it must be contagious if they are all getting it, and my vet has no clue how to help me! can someone help my save my diego before its to late for him as well, i just dunno what to do!!!

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:05 PM

i believe it might be seziures that my gliders are having, deigos eyes just made some crazy rapid movements and then stopped, omg what is causing this?

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:06 PM

Oh my...I am so sorry! I hope someone with more experience can help you! Apollo my sons glider lost the use of his front hands, we found out it was a toy from burger king that we had put in the cage and got it out, he has gotten better but not complete use of his hands back. Is there anyway you can take him out of the cage an totally disinfect everything?
Posted By: LSardou

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:08 PM

hug2 I am so sorry to hear about this tragedy!
Have you tried making a check list?
1. Cleaning Products
2. Plants
3. Carbon Monoxide
4. Pesticides
5. Type of foods:
a. fruits
b. veggies
c. Bugs (mealies, crickets, etc..) fresh, or canned
6. Toys - anything that could have toxins - coated wood,
certain plastics, pine, cedar
7. Bedding for drop pan

I hope that some of this will help. Many hugs and prayers.
Godspeed sweet babies.... gangel

Posted By: pappy1264

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:12 PM

I wish I could tell you. I am praying they can find an answer. I cannot imagine the pain you must be in. Loads of prayers going out.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:16 PM

i feed them equate, and the veggies and fruits are allways the frozen stuff in bags, i also give them the pet store glider pellets on the side and crickets from the pet store as well, as for toys, everything is fleece except for their stealth wheels, some cat balls and a plastic ferrit tube that they like to play in...i cant think of any toxins that they may have been exposed to....denise for now is okay, should i get her outta the cage before this happens to her too? could it mabye be a parasite of some kind?

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:17 PM

i use puppy pee pads in the tray so its deff not their bedding..

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:21 PM

I would check the Pet Store Glider Pellets, and the crickets!

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:24 PM

I had purchased a bag of cat food for my cat last year, and noticed that it had a strange smell. I brought it in to the vet, when they analyzed it they found that it was contaminated with mold.

Not sure if this would the case here with your glider food, but I would certainly have it checked along with the crickets.

I am so sorry Stef, I pray that Diego will be alright. hug2
Posted By: Xglider

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:24 PM

The cat balls concern me … if the have Catnip in them, that is toxic to gliders … also the Pellets and crickets … and not sure what diet the equate is … also I hate to ask but are you sure your vet is a knowledgeable one..??

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:27 PM

Was a necropsy done on your first glider?

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:30 PM

I was typing fast ... i am sorry for your others glider, hope Diego will be ok ... and that denise does not get sick ..

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:37 PM

i am so sorry hug2

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:38 PM

theres no catnip in the balls, just little bells, my vet is the only one in my area who treats suggies he seems to know a good bit, what is a necrospy? no, i dident have it done on my other gliders

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:39 PM

diego just died in my hands, this is so heart breaking, iv lost 3 babies now to this illness and i dont even know what it is, im so heart broken right now, why is this happening frown

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:40 PM

A necropsy is where they will examine and run tests on all the organs to try and determine the cause of death.

Have you thought about having the glider pellet food and the crickets checked.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:41 PM

A necropsy is basically an autopsy on an animal to try to find out what caused it to die. I am surprised where it came on like it did, he did not suggest having it done. I hope Diego will be ok and that Denise does not come down with whatever it is.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:42 PM

i guess i need to focus right now on denise and how i can prevent her from gtting sick, she seems okay right now, i just moved her to a spare cage in a different room, im changing pouches, toys, everything

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:43 PM

I'm so sorry for your losses.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:44 PM

im going to call my vet and get the necrospy done on the bodies, hopefully i'll figure out whats happened to my babies

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:44 PM

Can you get her in to see the vet ASAP to make sure she is alright?

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:45 PM

I a so sorry .. for you ... a necropsy on Diego may tell you what is happening ... i am praying for Denise and you ..

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:51 PM

Oh Stef, I am so sorry. Please keep his body in the fridge (I know that sounds awful, but it will preserve the body) and get him to the vets asap and have them look to see what is going on. Praying Denise does not have whatever the other three did!!

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:51 PM

I feel that you should focus on the pelleted food and the crickets .

Posted By: morksmom

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:52 PM

So sorry for your loss. I dont know if the body needs to be refrigerated until you can get it to your vet but maybe someone with that kind of experience will come on.
Huggs...

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:54 PM

I am pretty sure refrigeration is required to have the necropsy, not frozen… good luck, and some one correct me if wrong ..

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: morksmom
So sorry for your loss. I dont know if the body needs to be refrigerated until you can get it to your vet but maybe someone with that kind of experience will come on.
Huggs...

The body does need to be refrigerated.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:57 PM

the glider needs to go to the vet within 48 hours to do the necropsy.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 10:59 PM

iv removed the crickets and pellet food, im keeping a close eye on her, shes eating some kiwi right now and seems fine but im terribly worried, it struck the others so fast and killed them so quickely im scared for her

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 11:00 PM

Can you reach your vet now and let him know what has happened?
Posted By: Keyosmama

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 11:00 PM

Oh No!!!

I am so sorry about the loss of your three little ones. We are mourning little Diego over here as well..

I am so sorry - I hope a necropsy will shed some light on all of this. I too, would suspect the pellets and crickets for causing this..

cry

Amanda

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 11:02 PM

Rereading your first post, I would say to focus on the brain. I am no expert, but your description, with the actions and the sudden blindness leads me to believe it is in the brain. Praying your little girl will be ok. This is very scary.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 11:07 PM

I am so sorry, praying your little one is ok and does not come down with this illness.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 11:18 PM

im so terrified and upset, i believe it might be something nurological as well, little denise is acting fairly normal right now but im worried shes blinking her eyes a lot, i dunno if im being over observant or not, im scared, i hope she will be okay, im so upset over whats happened frown im dropping off the body tomorrow morning to get the necrospy done, hopefully this will shead some light on what has happened to my babies, this has been a very heart breaking weekend for me

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 11:21 PM

hug2 I can not imagine how much you are hurting. Just know that there are a lot of people on here that are hurting with you and praying for your little one to stay healthy!

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 11:22 PM

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your little ones frown

I hope you will be able to find out what caused this and that denise will be ok. Spend a lot of time with her too..she lost all her buds so quickly, she's gonna need some major TLC from her momma!!
Posted By: Dancing

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 11:31 PM

Aflatoxins comes to mind...contact Laura_Leigh or Ellen by pm... they might be able to offer some advice. Both the pellets or the crickets could be the source.

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. I can't imagine the pain.
Posted By: Karin

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 11:36 PM

My goodness gracious, you must be heartbroken! I am so sorry cry .

Something somehow somewhere is toxic. As advised, I would also stop the crickets and pellet food immediately until you know the source.

Karin

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 11:43 PM

again i want to say how very sorry i am. sending love and hugs.
Posted By: Cora

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/12/08 11:54 PM

Oh My goodness I am so sorry to hear this. certainly sounds like aflatoxins.........
many (((((hugs)))) to you!

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 12:04 AM

just sending out prayers for you and your little one

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 12:04 AM

Oh my goodness!

Stef I am so sorry to hear about your babies. . . I will pray that Denise will not be affected.

My prayers will be with you and the baby.

Ruth
Posted By: Janie

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 12:13 AM

I am sooo sorry for your losses,, sending prayers to you and Denise,, I hope she will remain ok
Posted By: Judie

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 12:17 AM

Equate is a store brand of Insure.

My guess is that their diet was contaminated. I would stop feeding the Equate, dry pellets and insects.

Wash everything down such as cage, water bottle, and toys with Hot Soapy Water with a bleach solution of 1/2 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of hot water. Follow with a through rinse. Pouches and fabric toys... machine wash in hot water and dry in the dryer.

Throw out stored bedding. Use paper towels for now. Tape to tray to keep them from being pulled through the grate.

Request a direct fecal float and stain on the remaining glider ASAP so you can at least rule out a possible parasite.

hug2
Posted By: Judie

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 12:20 AM

The gliders were having seizures. Often their neck is stretched as is the rest of the body. Rapid eye movement.

Seizures are common with dehydration/illness when the blood chemistry is out of sync. Usually seen when the illness is severe.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 12:26 AM

Does the equate come in a can?
Posted By: Izzyandrileysmom

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 12:28 AM

I must agree with Dancing....Aflatoxins. Please get Denise to the vet, even an emergency vet to have her checked. Also, take the pellets and crickets and have them checked for Aflatoxins.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 12:36 AM

Stef - I'm so sorry to hear about your dear three.

I am holding a good thought for darling Denise, and for you. I can't even imagine the horror of what you are going through.
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 12:39 AM

I am so sorry for your loss's!! cry I agree with Judie, crub the cage down well, disinfect, and get new food, serve nothing of the old! Other then crickets are there any other treats? I think it sounds like Afaltoxins as well. Many hugs and prayers for your right now! hug2 hug2 hug2

Questin question If it is Aflatoxins, is there anything they can do for Denise now?
Posted By: Usha77

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 01:29 AM

hug2 hug2 hug2 You and your little ones have my prayers.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 01:31 AM

My prayers be with you and Denise.

Please get that baby to a vet asap... I understand if you're strapped on cash, after all of those babies dying... but you might wanna have an exam done on her. Until then, feed fresh *washed* fruits and veggies (frozen is fine) and perhaps eggs, yogurt, etc. Stop feeding the pellets, equate, and all insects. It *does* sound neurological, and things like that are usually from a toxin rather than contracted from a cagemate.

Is your cage a traditional cage, or is it perhaps made from some other material? Are you using any cleaners in the room?
Posted By: Trigger

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 01:41 AM

I am so sorry you lost your babies. hug2 hugs for you.
Prayers for Denise

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 01:44 AM

Stef, I am so sorry this is happening to you! cry

Please keep us updated and let us know if the vet found out anything else or if he came up with a conclusion as to whats going on. You are in my thoughts and prayers! Im so sorry!

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 02:12 AM

I think the equate was frozen mixed veggies. Equate is walmart's brandname that is on all of their products whether it's medicine or frozen vegetables or nutrition drinks.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 02:19 AM

i'm so sorry for you!!!
please hang in there, i hope your other baby
does not come down with this.
can u please let us all know what happens!!
if u find out what did this can u please let us know!
Posted By: Sherri

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 04:53 AM

I'm so sory for your loss's. I will be praying for you and little Denise.
Posted By: jannee66

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 05:37 AM

I'm sorry for your loss, I sure hope the other baby is fine. hug2
Posted By: Suggiegramma

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 06:52 AM

I'm so sorry for your terrible loss! We'll keep Denise in our prayers!

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 11:02 AM

If you take Deigo in for a necropsy, please ask them to check the liver for aflatoxosis. If it is, you will need to modify Denise's diet, you won't know if she was affected by it or not until its too late. If she starts to show symptoms, keep her warm and syringe feed a 50/50 combo of Pedialyte and baby Yogurt juice. Keep a very close eye on her... this is screaming aflatoxins to me. if this turns out to be aflatoxins, PM me and I'll give you my number. I've got a TON of info and tips/tricks....

oh, and sack the pellets and crickets... those are two of the top main sources for aflatoxins in gliders.

IF your vet treats large farm animals, they may have an aflatoxin quick test that they can test the pellets with, but I'm not sure how they would test the crickets, since it is part of the DNA.... But its worth a shot.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/13/08 11:05 AM

Laura:

I read and was watching the post on Jorn's Act and again I have to save bravo to you for all you have done and continue to do. I am sending you a pm, as I have a question. Thanks!

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 12:13 AM

Any updates? How is Denise? Did you take her in to the vet today? Please update when you can, been thinking of you all day, praying Denise was ok.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 09:45 AM

Nothing???? Steph Mo, you out there????

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 01:24 PM

just letting you know you and your glider Denise are still in my prayers.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 02:02 PM

the report is back from the vet, the necrospy showed that it was some kind of toxin but overall it was inconclusive because he couldent figure out exactly what kind of toxin, he said that the body was in good shape and appeared to be healthy but that the toxin acted like a poison attacking the gliders vital organs like his heart and brain which is what caused the blidness and seziures before death, he recomended for me to change everything, food, toys, cage and to search my gliders play room for anything they might have gotten into. he said it was best not to treat denise with anything as he dosent know exactly what it is, but that she appears to be okay, if she did ingest anything it was in a small enough amount so that her body was able to fight it off, this is consistant with contaminated food as denise was allways a finkey eater but the others loved to gorge themselves, what ever toxic thing it was they injested it acted very quickely, killing the gliders within 48 hrs, my vet thinks it might be some kind of strong poison to be able to do that but i dont even have anything in my house like that, i suspect the crickets from the pet store might be from a bad source, mabye they got sprayed with chemicals or something, i work at an animal shelter and yesterday we got 2 complaints about bad product coming from that pet store! none were cricket related but im thinking its only a matter of time, i looked at the crickets and there all smaller than normal and look a funny color, normally there tan, but they look a reddish greenish color. what ever happened its terribly scard both me and Denise, i can tell shes depressed, when i open her cage door she jumps on my hand and dosent wanna get off, i moved her cage into my room so that she could be closer to me because she kept chirping all night as though she was crying for her friends to come back, my heart is broken for her but this whole thing has left me feeling like i have no confidence any more, any time i go to feed my pets now i get scared that i might be feeding them something bad, i dont feel like im a good pet owner anymore, i feel like the whole things my fault and i should have picked up on it, whats worse is when i called the pet store to let them know they might have bad product they dident care, there not even gonna remove it from the shelves! and that pet store sells suggies as well! this has been such a terrible and tramatizing expirence.
Posted By: Usha77

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 02:08 PM

hug2 hug2 I am so sorry. You are a good glider mom. Even the vet doesn't know the exact cause and you can't be psychic and all-knowing, none of us can. I will continue to pray for you and Denise. hug2

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 02:18 PM

Wow. My heart was breaking through this whole thread. I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Could it be carbon monoxide? Didn't someone not too long ago have a similar experience and that's what it turned out to be?

:HUGS:

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 02:24 PM

I'm so so sorry. I know how I would be feeling if this happened to me. hug2 I will continue to pray for you and Denise as well.

You must not think you are a bad parent, even though I know I would think the same if I were in your shoes. Things like this just happen, the do, and we can only pray that we learn from them and grow stronger from it. I am so angry at your pet store tant even though it's hardly a surprise that they don't want to take ownership for anything that might be wrong. That infuriates me!

I hope that our hugs and sympathy and support can help. As I said, I will continue to say prayers. hug2 Hugs, and God bless.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 02:28 PM

I am sooooo sorry for your loss. I will keep praying for you and Denise.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 02:30 PM

thanks guys, i really appreicate the kind words smile
also, what is carbon monoxide? (i know that sounds silly but i really dunno what it is)
mabye i will find a good rescue group and rescue a glider as a friend for Denise instead of buying one, my poor little baby is so depressed and all alone, she wants me to spend every second of the day with her, and thats obviously impossible, tho i do give her as much time as i can, poor litte baby frown

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 02:41 PM

You silly girl, you shouldn't apologize for asking about something you don't know about - how else does a person learn if they never ask? smile
Carbon Monoxide - go get a detector for your home asap. They're pretty cheap - similar to a smoke detector. On Wikipedia it basically says that CO2 poisoning is hard to detect b/c it's tasteless/odorless/colorless/etc. Common sources are things like house fires, furnaces/heaters, vehicle exhaust, etc. Symptoms of just a mild poisoning are listed as things like headaches, vertigo, flu-like effects, hyperactivity, etc. Larger poisonings can lead to significant toxicity of the central nervous system, heart and even death.

In the case I was referring to above, the owner had her suggies pass kind of consecutively (sp?) as with you and yours. The the CO2 was leaking from her stove or something bizzar like that - but it wasn't strong enough to affect the humans in the home, just the suggies. It's worth looking into - either way I'd still permanently ditch the pellets and crickets and get this little one on a more balanced diet. Just keep spending time with her and start looking for a friend for her. Keep in mind that another glider will help her to be less lonely, but she will still need time to grieve her lost pals. Also keep in mind to do a quarantine to ensure your baby stays healthy! I'm sorry again for all this - keep us posted!
Posted By: Dancing

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 02:49 PM

This is NOT your fault. I know I would be blaming myself as well but really, this is not your fault.

I honestly believe based on all I've read on this thread that aflatoxins are the likely cause. While it basically attacks the liver, once the liver stops functioning properly, the other organs start to be effected as well. (the liver filters the blood and if the blood isn't filtered properly, the toxins will then attack other organs)

Those few that I've talked to who have lost a number of their gliders like you have also blamed themselves but it is NOT YOUR FAULT. Guilt is part of grief and I hope your's passes quickly for you. Denise is grieving too and you just comfort each other as much as you can.
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 03:06 PM

Stephanie, let me start my entry with hug2 hug2 and a box of Kleenex...I'll snitch a few for myself & give you the rest.

Do you have any appliances that use either natural gas or liquid petroleum (LP) gas? (furnace/stove/dryer) Do you use a fuel-powered space heater? (kerosene) These are the sources where carbon monoxide can develop. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you get a detector (they cost $20 US dollars, not sure what the Canadian price would be) I can't remember exactly who it was, but they had a SMALL leak in their furnace which killed their gliders...such a tragedy! cry

Second step: Is there any rat/mouse/ant/bug poison anywhere in the house? If you're renting, did the landlord/landlady spray for pests recently? Replay all the steps about detergent/cleaners you've used recently.

Third step: Throw out EVERYTHING as far as food + crickets go. Get new stuff from SOMEWHERE ELSE (not from this uncaring pet store, obviously! tant )

Fourth step: You and Denise need to allow yourselves to grieve...the loss has been devastating to both of you. EVERY POSSIBLE MINUTE you can spend w/ your little girl will help you both. Make sure she eats every night, even if only a little.

And by the way: YOU ARE NOT A BAD MOM, ok? hug2 Things like this happen, despite all the things we TRY to do to keep our fuzzbutts safe. This is one of those "character-building" experiences that are part of life...how we handle it & learn from it & move forward (no matter how hard it seems at this very second) is where it counts. These words are being said from EXPERIENCE---it's a hard teacher sometimes...wish it wasn't, but then again maybe we wouldn't listen so closely if the roar was a whisper in volume intensity.

Continued prayers for you & your baby.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 03:11 PM

Ditto to everything minkasmom said. Absolutely ditto. hug2

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 03:20 PM

You are not a bad mom. This was not something you could have known was going to happen. I am glad that Denise is ok. I would definitely be switching her diet. I would not rush out to get another glider for a couple of reasons. First off, you both need to grieve. She may be missing her friends, but that does not mean she will just accept another glider right away. And truly, since you are not sure what caused this (though I believe the pellets/crickets are the most likely culprits), I would just keep a very close eye on Denise right now, and give her all the love you possibly can. I am so sorry for your loss and having to go through all of this.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 03:21 PM

cry Still praying that you two get through this.

Honey, you are NOT a bad glider mom. Remember that. The stupid pet store, on the other hand... Grr!

Just try and spend lots of time loving on your glider, and you'll both get through this. It might be wise to start thinking about getting a friend for Denise... maybe a rescue? But first you should make sure that you find out what was wrong, so that any future gliders don't find themselves in trouble. It seems that crickets are a likely culprit, from your descriptions of their eating habits, and the crickets at the pet store, although you never know. I'd switch to mealworms, personally, just to be safe.

hug2

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 03:38 PM

you are not the only person that has had this happen to. please stop blaming yourself. we all know this is a accident and accidents happen everyday to all of us.

I can tell you one thing I will be keeping a closer eye on the food my gliders get. and had no idea this could happen in such a short time. i feel alot of people did learn from this and it will save lives.

If I can help you in ANYWAY please let me know. Do you need a Sissy bonding pouch for your baby Denise? Just pm me your address and it is on its way.
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 03:49 PM

Quote:
he said it was best not to treat denise with anything as he dosent know exactly what it is, but that she appears to be okay, if she did ingest anything it was in a small enough amount so that her body was able to fight it off, this is consistant with contaminated food as denise was allways a finkey eater but the others loved to gorge themselves, what ever toxic thing it was they injested it

I would have a urinalysis run. Early stages of organ dysfunction can show up there-and if so be finer tuned if followed by a blood test (if possible and if indicated-some gliders are just too small for an adequate sample before the risk outweighs the benefit). Gliders hide illness until they can't and are very good at it. Considering the others, testing her urine would be wise, to look for anything abnormal-even if not seriously abnormal at this point.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Posted By: cbddallas

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 03:58 PM

Oh this breaks my heart for you, but you cannot blame yourself! The one thing I've learned in this short amount of time I've had Bella is that no one has all of the answers, and there's no way you can know or could have known this would happen. You're a good mom, or you wouldn't feel so bad right now...

I'm so sorry... hug2

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 04:11 PM

stephanie,
i would be happy to send you a glider for free...i'm not sure about international flights tho, i will look into it, i am very close to the canadian border in NY & if you can afford it i will split the shipping with you so u can get a friend for Densie...i hope i can help somehow {{{HUGSSSS}}}

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 04:40 PM

I too think its the pellets and/or crickets. Stick with mealworms. I agree with everyone else so far, get ALL new food for Denise and make sure she's hydrated. Take her to the vet as well and get her a checkup. If anything, it will give you piece of mind that she is ok.

Give Denise all the spare time you can...is there anyway you can carry her around in a bonding pouch or sissy pouch during the day? If she can spend more time with you it will make her feel better and more secure since this happened so fast and she's suddenly alone.

Can you contact the pellet manufactuer (Sp??)? I'd let them know there might be a problem.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 04:56 PM

awww im sooo soryy!!!! you are NOT a bad mom.... it wasnt your fault... sending prayers your way and once again i am sooo sorry!!

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 05:13 PM

This is so sad.. I've been reading this thread all day. I'm really very sorry to hear about your poor little guys- I hope that Denise is okay though. I know this is really hard, and as hard as it is, I hope you feel better soon :/ It's not your fault at all, so don't beat yourself up!!

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 06:00 PM

thanks for all the kind words and help everyone, iv taken today and tomorrow off work so me and Denise can have some time together to morn, the good thing about working in an animal shelter is they are very understanding when things like this happen. I do not think it was carbon monoxide as everything in our house runs on electricity.. as for poisons, the closest thing i can think of is flea treatments i give my cats and dog, about 6 months ago we had the house fumagated when my kittys picked up fleas, but we took the pets outta the house for about 4 or 5 days when that was done, iv had the kittys on monthly flea treatments ever since but i dont see how that could effect the gliders..other than that we have had no poisons in the house. the pellets i was using was "sugar glider formula" the manafucture is Sunseed, im not sure if anyones heard of them before.
Denise is a very tiny glider (about half the size of what my other gliders were) so a blood test was impossible to do,
i did have her urine and feacal smear done which turned out normal, all the vet could find were sings of stress, which was understandable considering she just lost her buddies, my poor baby frown
once again thank you everyone, youv made me feel worlds better smile

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 06:46 PM

Steph:

I have heard of that and it really is not a very good diet for a glider. Timmy came here on that (well, Quiko pellets, but basically the same thing.) I feed the Priscilla Price diet and love it! (So do my babies!) They are all nice and healthy (they don't like the 'cereal' but they are sleeping during the day.) HPW is another good diet. I like the PP diet, as you can get all the ingredients to make it in the grocery store (you will need to get the vitamins from Priscilla's store, though).

I am very sorry you went through all this and I pray Denise will stay healthy.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 07:50 PM

I just wouldnt get food for the animals from the pet shop you were getting them from before. Maybe something there was contaminated that made them sick. thats really awful about your sugar gliders tho and no you arent a bad person. things happen sometimes and we dont know why. I had a rough bit myself with some of my animals.....:-( but my guess is maybe something in the food with all the scares we have had lately even in people food! I hope your other baby is going to be ok! I figure tho if there was a carbon monoxide leak wouldnt all the people in the house have gotten sick too or killed? Usually when there is a carbon monoxide leak you kinda just fall asleep. Is it harsher on animals?

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 08:19 PM

Some companys use a catnip spray on toys that they can't put nip into . They don't list nip on the package either

A while back a member on here posted that they had bought cat toys for in her cages. The store was short one for all here cages. She place the toys in the all the cages but one. All their gliders in the cages that the toys wer place in died in a 24 hour time frame . the cage without the new toy was fine .

Posted By: ozzi

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 08:38 PM

Hang in there Stephanie,
This was a horrific, unimaginable thing to have to happen to anybody. I can feel your pain believe me. I have NEVER felt worse than when two of my glider's passed. NEVER!!!!
This is not your fault so please do not beat yourself up over this.
I feel for little Denise. NO ONE can tell me animals don't have emotional feelings. That poor baby. I hope you find her a friend. I see where someone has offered you one. I hope that works out, for the both of you.
My deepest sympathies.....Pat
Posted By: Sherri

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 08:52 PM

Here is another thing that I seem to remember about stuff we cant see or smell that made animals, children and adults very sick a number of years back. And even though things changed because of it, this does sound somewhat similar. Maybe worth checking into? Have you recently had new carpet put in? I know this was probably, what, 10-15 years ago? But there was a chemical that was used in making carpet that made people and animals very sick. Or what about any lead based paint in your house? Just a few suggestions. You are NOT a bad momma. Things happen that are sometimes out of our control. Just spend all the time you can with Denise and take time for both of you to grieve. There are a ton of people that are here for you if you need anything. Hugs, thoughts and prayers for you and your little one.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 09:06 PM

Just wanted to let you know that I'm keeping you and Denise in my thoughts and prayers. I can't imagine how sad it is for you and your little girl. Please, do not 'blame' yourself, your a wonderful glider mommy and all of your babies knew this deep in their hearts.
Many blessings to you and Denise.
hug2
Posted By: Cora

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 09:48 PM

All I have to offer is hug2 hug2 hug2

I was so hoping you would know the exact toxin..........

Prayers for you and Denise hug2

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 10:02 PM

many many ... hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: Keyosmama

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 11:13 PM

I sent you a PM girl hug2

A

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 11:38 PM

Stef! Thank you so much for the update. I am so sorry and I am sending you tons of hugs and prayers! hug2

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 11:49 PM

thanks for all the kindness everyone, it is much appreciated.
its funny how attached you can get to these little guys, i miss them and there individual personalities, there little habits that made them special to me. Like the way Pandi allways nibbeled on my finger tips, the way Diego loved to run like a nut case in his stealth until it tipped over, my little gagey would jump in circles when he'd get excited... its there personalities that ill miss the most, its almost like loseing a best friend. They were truly family, and i loved them all, i will certaintly never forget any of them.
Posted By: jannee66

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/14/08 11:56 PM

hug2 hug2 hug2 A thousand times hug2 hug2 hug2
I understand what you mean about the personalities, each one is soooooooo unique and special.
hug2 hug2
Posted By: BCChins

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/15/08 03:57 AM

I am very sorry for your loss and we will keep you and Denise in our thoughts. You are a good suggie mom and I am sure Denise is thankful for your special time over the next few days. Many Hugs to you both. hug2

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/15/08 09:18 PM

How is Denise? How are YOU??? I'm still praying for you both. hug2
Posted By: Trigger

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/15/08 09:32 PM

Hoping to hear how Denise and you are as well.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/15/08 09:48 PM

Hang in there ...
Posted By: Carrie T

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/15/08 10:22 PM

The flea treatment sticks in my mind. I lost a glider several years ago very suddenly and the only thing I could come up with was Frontline. We will never know for sure but please for all of you that use any treatments like that PlEASE use gloves and do your best to keep your hands away from the treated area. I know this may sound obvious but sometimes we do things with out thinking.

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/15/08 10:42 PM

I am deeply disheartened to hear of this. My prayers and thoughts are with you. I am hoping Denise is OK! We are all here for you.... hug2 hug2 hug2

Jen
Posted By: BeckiT

what is killing my gliders???? part 2 - 05/15/08 10:59 PM

see part 1 HERE
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: what is killing my gliders???? - 05/15/08 11:00 PM

See part 2 HERE

Re: what is killing my gliders???? part 2 - 05/16/08 05:49 PM

Any update ... hope you are doing well..

Re: what is killing my gliders???? part 2 - 05/17/08 06:26 PM

Boy I hope you are doing ok along with your little one. I have just read all the post. I am sorry for you loss. It is horrible and not knowing exactly what it is makes it even worse. Please let us know how you little one is. My prayers are with you and your baby.
Darleen

Re: what is killing my gliders???? part 2 - 05/19/08 02:27 PM

me and my little one are hangang in there, thank you for all the kind words everyone.
Posted By: cbddallas

Re: what is killing my gliders???? part 2 - 05/19/08 02:45 PM

I am so glad - I was worried too but hated to ask - you two have had a rough time. It seems as though you've isolated the problem though, so fingers crossed that Denise stays healthy!

Re: what is killing my gliders???? part 2 - 05/21/08 01:17 AM

Did you ever find out what happened to your gliders??
My little Meeka seems to be going through the same thing.
She was fine Sunday morning, but then Sunday evening....blind, seizures, arched neck, dry stool, rapid climbing and falling...
She has been like this going on 3 days now.
My vet has no idea as to what is going on with her.

Please tell me you were able to get some sort of explanation with your tradgedies
Posted By: cinnamonstix

Re: what is killing my gliders???? part 2 - 05/27/08 01:06 AM

Did you have the crickets checked for toxins or aflotoxin? How about your pelleted food?

I am so sorry for your loss...hang in there.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL